Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
So, it's the Can-Can sale at ShopRite and even though it meant that I wasn't as low as I would have liked, but I stocked up on things and next week should be next to nothing. I won't need any cereal or pasta. I also had my price driven up because I needed new Olay Regenerist lotion, which is super expensive, but it is great for my sensitive skin, and, I like to think, keeps me looking young. And I bought my John Frieda blonder shampoo, which I haven't bought in ages because it's so expensive.

The good news is, I had a $50 gift card to Acme from my parents, so that cut down what I spent. Makes me happy. :slight_smile:

**ShopRite**
4 boxes Pop Tarts (I don't buy these ever, but they were on sale and I forgot to get them for the kids stockings this year and they were on sale) $1.88 each (normally $2.49 each)
2 boxes SleepyTime Tea $3.79 each (these were supposed to be on sale...they weren't. I wouldn't have bought them at this price)
1 12 roll pack Cottonelle $7.99 (normally $10.99)
4 boxes Jolly Time microwave popcorn $1.49 each (Normally $2.49 each...they have the free Redbox codes inside the boxes, which we use...so, in addition to the popcorn being on sale, being something we eat by the bucket, we also get free movies)
6 cans of Green Giant corn $.59 each (normally $1.69 each)
4 cans of ShopRite kidney beans $.50 each (normally $.89 each)
1 canister Progresso bread crumbs $1.00 (normally $1.99)
12 boxes Ronzoni pasta $.50 each (normally $1.69 each) We shouldn't need pasta again for months
4 boxes Kraft Mac and cheese $.88 each (Normally $1.39 each)
4 boxes Special K $1.49 each (normally $3.59 each...big sale so I stocked up)
2 bags Herr's tortilla chips $2.50 each (normally $4.29 each)
1 box Ring Dings $2.50 (normally $3.49)
1 box Entenmann's donuts $2.84 (normally $5.69)
1 lb 93% lean ground beef $6.37
1 large pack organic chicken breasts $9.82
1 pack organic chicken thighs $6.85
10 navel oranges $5.98 (they are supposed to be 10 for $10...I think the cashier keyed in the wrong code)
1 lb of butter $2.99 (normally $4.99)
2 gallons 1% organic milk $4.99 each
4 boxes Banquet Turkey sausage $.99 each (normally $1.99 each)
1 long loaf French bread (we are having pasta with meatballs and sausage tonight...I was inspired to get some bread to go with it) $1.99
1 4 pack of Pure Protein drinks $6.99

Total $117.42

**Acme**
1 big box Goldfish crackers $8.39 (normally $8.99)
1 Signature Kitchens ice drink $.69 (normally $.88)
2 jars Signature Kitchens pasta sauce $1.50 each (normally $1.99 each)
2 packets Signature Kitchens Chili Mix $.39 each (normally $.79 each)
1 bags Reese's peanut butter cups $.99 each (couldn't resist...normally $4.99 each)
3 boxes Kellogg's Special K $1.47 each (normally $3.99 each)
SmartWater Flavored with Cucumber and Lime FREE (normally $1.89) it's gross, but it was free
2 18 count eggs $1.25 each (normally $2.49 each)
6 bags Lucerne shredded cheese $1.99 each (normally $2.79 each)
1 bottle Signature Kitchens parmesan cheese $3.29 (normally $3.69)
1 John Frieda blonder shampoo $8.99 (normally $10.99)
1 jar Olay Regenerist lotion $26.99 (normally $28.99)
1 loaf Signature Kitchens white bread $1.49
2 bags Mama Lucia's Meatballs (I've never had these before, but they are on big sale and I'm interested in spending less time making meatballs today, so I went ahead and got them) $1.50 each (normally $5.99 each)
2.35 lb green grapes $7.03 (normally $9.38)

Total $81.37 minus the $50 gift card brings the total to $31.37

Total: $148.79/$200.00

Next week, I am shooting for under $100. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Martha, did you know you can buy refillable K cups? That way you could buy coffee in larger quantities, probably cheaper per cup.
I know lol just lazy have some. you can even get paper filters and even disposable you fill ones. my coffee is the strongest you can get in kcups. dh likes med. we still have our drip coffee machine too.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I know it may seem like a lot, but my goal is $500 for 5 people. We've almost *never* hit that goal, so if I can get it down to that, I'd be thrilled.

My strategies so far in January to get to that goal:
* Did a full pantry/fridge/freezer inventory, and have been aiming to use up products we already have as much as possible.
* I have been doing a weekly menu plan, based off the pantry and freezer inventory.
* Make weekly shopping list based on the menu plan, and only shop off that list 1x week.

What I haven't done but plan to do in the future, once we pare down pantry products a bit:
* Plan menu off what's on sale that week.
* Shift to low-cost recipes using inexpensive / bulk ingredients.
* Cook in bulk / freeze meals.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Forgot to post while in town Tuesday i spent $24.89 on groceries. Not sure if i will be spending more this month on groceries just depend on how things goes.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Safeway is having 50 cent sale so I will take advantage of that. Lots of stores also having "superbowl" type sales including chili ingredients. Which are also good meatloaf and meatball ingredients.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I got soups, tomatoes, canned beans and pasta at Safeway for 50 cents/box/can. The 2 free items were out of stock naturally but not urgent. Got a piece of beef and $5 bottle of Cabernet to make beef burgundy, a rather expensive meal but will keep hubby happy. Still within grocery budget. I bought buttermilk to make cake, muffins, bread. Should see if I can make my own - not substitute but cultured. Target price is better on some things (bread flour, vitamins), I will probably order at beginning of February.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Grocery shop today for the meat markdowns, did very well and overall just a few $ under budget for January. Several things going into pantry and freezer. Got 10 lb store-brand bread flour which I was very happy about, did not know the store was still selling their own brand and several $ cheaper than King Arthur which is what most stores display. I will keep February same at $140.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I'm in for Feb. I totaled Jan receipts and they were around $425. This is EVERYTHING including pet food, pads. There's just basically just me and hubs. The kid still lives here but she pretty much buys her own stuff or does take out. Way way to much. Only defense is I was down pretty much 6 months in wheelchair or a walker and stockpile and supplies went to crap. He went to store but stuff got used and not restocked. Just really started about first of Dec redoing.

So most everything is restocked and unless they finally schedule this surgery we won't need much. If they do I want some more of the mac & cheese and few cans soup.

Feb goal is between $200 and $225. Would like to keep closer to the $200. We have a bunch of work needs to be done in both bathrooms and it won't be cheap. And it's not his thing. So there's that. I dread hearing the numbers. I need to save every dollar and change I can for awhile. Hoping the floors won't need to be replaced. When we moved in here..... lets just say never hire a cheap plumber. Actual plumber was fine but he let his dumb ass brother do the work. Stab me with a fork.

So yeah.... between $200 and $225.

Reactions: ermadunk

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I calculated the January grocery shopping and surprised myself. I budgeted $400 and spent $350. Now, if I could get that lower.....I'll work on that.

I cooked the frozen ham today and baked potatoes. So, that will make sandwiches, scalloped potatoes or eggs & ham for the next few days. I may even try a refrigerated roll dough with the ham, mozzarella and mustard or mayo inside and then top with a butter garlic glaze.... Kinda like a stuffed roll? Not sure how it will turn out, but worth a shot.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I had budget 200. for Jan but only spent $100.34 that for groceries and hba.Going for $175. from now on this year hope i can not go over even when i start back stock piling.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Hubs just HAD to go to Dollar General today and bound and determined to use the $5 off $25. Didn't need that much right now. Best I can say is they had the canisters big Coffee Mate for $5 on sale versus $5.75 regular plus they had one $1 digital. So got 3 for the stockpile and a few cans dog food for the not sick baby dog plus his soda/pop.

So $24.32 for groceries and it's only the 1st. Ugh

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
not great w grocery totals but stocked up at least.. teen boys endless pits. got half price dry cat food, two spatchcocked seasoned chickens marked down so into freezer..nice easy meals, marked down cupcakes. local bakery apple pie and cinnamon buns. did a cross border run for $1 deals kroger stuff. even w exchange way cheaper then here. taco shells, taco seasoning, lunch meat etc. usual stuff we use. cheese, frozen veggies. dh gets frozen stuff at costco there can't get here philly cheesesteaks etc for lunches. cheaper. up here bunch of bogo stuff. frozen fish etc. over the weeks fresh pasta bogo I freeze. all stuff for easy meals that the family will eat. may as well take advantage of the stock up deals from the different stores.

just can't seem to let freezer go down to bare! but does make

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
AND back to Dollar General he went again this evening. Out of bread and I needed taco corn shells for a huge batch of tacos I have in the freezer. So $9.18 added to grocery total. Of course he picked up 2 bags of chips. I have it updated in siggy and I think it's now at $33.55 for Feb.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Niko- I hope what you got some deals from dollar general. I think some things are a great buy there.
Martha- You're in Canada, yes? Sounds like the prices in your area are higher than the US, although I'm not sure if there are other things that balance that out, such as healthcare or social services. I see price changes at the market on a daily basis. And it's definitely going up.

Sometimes I think of doing insta-cart delivery from the markets if there are good sales and the delivery is free. I did that twice now and honestly, I had to stretch a bit to meet the minimum purchase requirement. It might be cheaper for me to pick things up as I need them.

So far for February, I've spent $46. It's a leap year, so we have an extra day to account for....At my budget of $12/day, I'm a bit over that but by not spending today, I'll be on target.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
2/6 First shopping day this month spent $48.85 on few groceries and hba. Did get gas at the cheapest price in a long time $1.95.9 the last time it was that price my car was in garage it went back up about the time it was fixed.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
2/8 Spent $20. at chicken city so total on groceries and hba is $68.85 and it only the 8th of month.
---

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Placed Target order, $35 to get free shipping but had $5 target GC and 44 cents "discount" (I guess from previous ordering) so saved over $5. Spent 25% of Feb budget so far. I pulled frozen turkey to thaw out & cook later in the week, that is going to last for a while.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
2/15 Went to DG and Cash Saver today Spent $24.28 dg and spent $35.97 ch on groceries and bath and body products.In all this month have spent $129.10.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Got a lot of the sale items for the pantry at one particular store today. Good I waited to Tuesday as the shelves are usually cleaned out Monday morning, but they were re-stocked today. $50 left in grocery budget, should be OK for the month.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
$22 at grocery store Friday, $28 left in budget for next week, should be OK. I have several things in the freezer now.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts