Frugal Village Forums banner

141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
did give coffee and hamburger helper away that I didn't use so he can. found a can full of ancient kcups so opened them for the coffee ..put under plants and recycled the rest. have a new thrift store bag going which I put painted canvas in, put back the magnets on the fridge and got rid of some plus old papers from fridge. little thing but adds up.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Going to go through some tubs in ds' room. I think there are some things from his wedding that I need to get rid of. I don't want him to find them and then bummed out. I think what is left will fit in some other tubs or boxes we have packed away. I'm hoping to get rid of all of it one day. Either give it away, throw it away or ds takes it home with him. I have a couple of tubs in the garage I need to go through. I know I can combine them into one tub at the very least. It is stuff I stashed away when we did the refi on the house and tried to clean up. Never got back to it. I took a box of dishes to the DAV last week, only to find out my niece was needing some. Oh well.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Donations were picked up. I went through some of my own papers and have a pile to recycle, some went in the trash. Still working through the shredding. My wedding dress is still in a box, it was self-sewn and not fancy. Cannot think of any reason to save it.

·
Registered
9,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Sorting through a couple year's worth of papers, filing and discarding. Will have a bonfire later.

Not sure where my wedding dress is. It was hand made, too and I am sure it does not fit me. I was 40lbs skinnier then.....

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
dlrcpa can you cut the cord from the electric blankets and donate to the homeless? A blanket is a blanket....

Cleaning the china cabinet can be a chore.....I did mine few weeks ago and gave away two boxes full....
I have even took the wires out of old electric blankets and used them as regular blankets.Raising 6 children on low income you will do a lot of things to keep warm.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I took 2 boxes of different things (clothes, kitchen items, toys, books, car accessories, etc.) to a special second hand department store yesterday. Only people who hardly have a chance on the normal job market work in this department store. The things are donated there. (So I don't get any money for it.) Then, if necessary, donated items are repaired and sold again for little money.
The money that is earned there supports the people who work there and the homeless in the region.
I think that's a good thing.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Dh took two bags of trash from the garage to work to dump and had two more this morning. The garage is coming along. It's amazing how much stuff you accumulate over the years. And, how much stuff you buy again because you can't find the first one.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not much going out the door today except for a notebook that I don't need - I swear I have more paper than I could ever use for the rest of my life (okay - maybe not quite THAT much but I've got way more than I need right now anyways. lol)

And besides the notebook I found a pretty bracelet that was out on the shelf in our building (there's a shelf we can put things on to give away and also can take anything left on the shelf as well). A month or so ago, I picked it up and brought it home because it was so pretty and didn't even find it again until a few days ago and am I really ever gonna wear it? Nah, I don't think so - so, I'm gonna return it and hope it can find a home elsewhere with someone who will use it. 😀

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Sorting through a couple year's worth of papers, filing and discarding. Will have a bonfire later.

Not sure where my wedding dress is. It was hand made, too and I am sure it does not fit me. I was 40lbs skinnier then.....
you and me both! lol besides the kids spreading out the ribs that never went back lol haven't tried it on since the wedding.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My efforts for today are small as for what left the apartment but I guess some gone is better than none at all!

Out the door today was a can of potatoes and 2 boxes of angel hair pasta (gave them to a friend as they had too high of carb count for what I'm supposed to have). Also got a small purse size calendar in yesterdays mail for 2021 but didn't need it so put it on the give-away shelf in hopes someone else can use it.

Oh and the best give-away I did this week was when my almost 2 year old great-granddaughter was here and I gave her a small baby doll that I had here and a cute teddy bear. She was happy with both and the smile on her little face made it the best give-away I think I've ever done! 😀

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Erma I remember growing up and we would use our winter coats over us to keep warm. We had blankets on the beds but sometimes it got really cold and we didn't have extra blankets. Maybe that is why I have a thing for blankets and spreads...I have plenty....

I put out a box of easter eggs and no one wanted them....garbage men took them this morning...I kept a few dozen.

I picked up a case of puffed cereal, two cases of chips and tomorrow will pick up 30 lbs. of oatmeal for the food pantry one day this week...out of my house.

Have a box of stuff to give to my grandson. Going out of my house on Sunday.

Gave my middle grandson his mattress, frame, sheets, and comforter. Out of my house.

I'm getting there.....

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
always good to have extra blankets just in case. just like everything all in the amounts. found I still hand sand buckets etc in the shed so gave them to reno guy plus plastic rake and other sand stuff..thought all that stuff was gone. plus the blow up bowling games from a few years ago event. still working on the thrift store boxes. some shoes are in there. went though shoes in closet ..couple of the kids into the garbage. too worn. why they just don't throw them out in the first place...

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Big donation pickup this morning, all my parents' stuff. Still a lot more to go. I am holding dad's coats for out local charity coat drive, they will open in about 2 weeks. Hm, that reminds me to ask the local group if they want small furniture pieces because they do emergency housing also. No charities accept upholstered furniture but there are some wooden pieces (tables & chairs) that might be useful. Of course I have to transport in my car so that's a factor.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
dd cleaned out some clothes so keeping some for reno guys kid and rest to thrift store. still need to go though my shoes did get rid of 2 bags of books to local used book store today. so about 40 or so paperbacks etc. put the bag into the big box from a shipment so been adding to it.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
clothes given away, shoes gone though and bag in box for thrift store. stamps shipped for free which was a bonus. 2 bags of books delivered to store. going though yarn to give some away too. w some old photos to go too.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Took a huge box full of legal size folders and a box of books and misc things to our local charity shop but they only accept donations on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 10-3....will try to get it back there tomorrow or Wednesday....
Gave a box full of misc. to neighbor....
I am just looking forward to Nov. 16th so I can get these shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child out of my living room....80 shoeboxes and about seven huge boxes of fillers.....I'm ready for them to be gone....

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I have another pickup coming Tuesday morning. Still a few things to pack up. I can ask hubby again about tennis racket and golf clubs not used for 25+ years. I saw a tennis ball recycle bin at the local tennis court, did not know such a thing existed but I can toss a few there.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
gave away the exercise bike, couple costumes and a game so more space. some more stuff into thrift box..stuffies, books etc. more to go though too but slowly but surely.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I have a box sitting on a chair by front door to take to my friend....has some crosses in it as she wants to do a cross wall and I had five or six I wasn't using so will give to her....also have her kids halloween candy....crystal punch bowl and a small sleeping bag for her son....hope to drop off this weekend.....
Counting the days till November 16th...it's a Monday and husband is taking day off so we can drop off my shoeboxes and boxes of fillers for Operation Christmas Child....opens at 10 and we will be there at 10:01.....my living room is going look so empty.....

141 - 160 of 186 Posts