Frugal Village Forums banner

161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
It sounds like you are all doing great with getting rid of things. Woo hoo!

I too have gotten rid of a few things here and there but at the point, it seems more like - slow and steady wins the race because it's not a lot at a time.

I've gotten rid of close to 10 - 2020 calendars that this past summer, they had cart fulls of them at the Ollie's store and they were totally free. Well, my friend and I grabbed quite a lot of time and now I kind of wish I would have gotten even more as I've been recycling them.

It takes time but I go through and any pictures at all that I can make a pretty postcard out of, I will take a postcard template and trace out a postcard shape on the picture and then will cut it out from the calendar page. Some I can actually get 2 or 3 postcards out of one picture which makes me happy! I have regular postcard backs and when I'm making the postcards, I will make sure the front picture is on a stable backing that will hold up in the mail and then when done will attach the back part to be able to address is.

Not only do I get the postcards but the days of the week on each page, I trim out (as long as it's not in the middle of a part I'm going to use for a postcard) and I keep the days of the week as they have different colors of the days of the week for each month and then I'll use them in my planner (I had cut a weeks worth out and the colors really brighten the planner up a lot!) So, what all is said and done, I'll have a lot of postcards to send and things to decorate my planner with. Oh and also my craft cart will have more room in it as well, once I get all of the calendars torn apart and cut up. lol

Have an awesome day!

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Sounds like fun Scarlett. I usually save my calendars (don't write on them) but had to buy a 2020 calendar this year because I didn't have one from 1992. If I am lucky I can re-use it in 2048. :)

2021 is a repeat of 2010 so I will fish that out and hang it up. But I may grab some 2021 calendars when the supermarket has them cheap, because I like the postcard idea. You can also make envelopes out of the pages. I sometimes do that with magazine pages.

·
Registered
238 Posts
BookwormPeg and ContraryHousewife - Well, FINALLY I am getting close to the end of the calendars. Hooray! It seems to take forever and a day to rip up the scraps that I can't use from the pages. I rip them up pretty small and do that just for the reason that when I do, I can get A LOT more in the garbage bags (which are just regular store bags.)

It's amazing to see how much one can get into them when you rip things up small like that, if possible! I figure that for me it's less trips out to the dumpster with bags AND too, it takes up less room in the dumpster (we have one dumpster that is emptied twice a week for a building with 68 apartments in!)

And too - each time I save room in the bags by tearing things down small to fit more in them, that means overall, less bags that I have going to a landfill somewhere. Every little bit makes a difference I guess! 😀

Have an awesome weekend!!

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
If it's paper scraps I put it in the recycle bin, or burn it. Every few years I go through our files and pull out old receipts, bank statements, etc and we have a bonfire. Right now I am using check registers from 10 years ago as fire starters for the grill.

I'm making postcards this weekend, too. Found a stack of off-cuts from our wedding invitations. Nice paper, I will use it for the address side.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I, too, try to beak down our paper garbage....food boxes are folded, papers ripped up....husband doesn't do that...I say nothing as he take the garbage out....got to pick my battles....:)
Have a great Sunday.....sunny here...going for a ride....my entertainment for the week....

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
We have a large tub for recycling papers and cardboard, no point to tearing it down unless there is a lot of it. We can put as much recycling on the curb as we want. DH hasn't taken the bin out in 3 weeks and the amazon boxes are piling up, so this morning he collapsed everything.

Enjoy your drive out, BW. Sounds like a perfect day for it.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I, too, try to beak down our paper garbage....food boxes are folded, papers ripped up....husband doesn't do that...I say nothing as he take the garbage out....got to pick my battles....:)
Have a great Sunday.....sunny here...going for a ride....my entertainment for the week....
lol dh complains we don't break down the boxes enough for recycling. I try but hands can't w some and then I said well nag your kids. we have alternate weeks of recycling and garbage pickup

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
thought I updated but hadn't the big box of thrift store stuff got dh to drop off a couple of weeks ago, 2 broken vcrs to a friend who likes playing w them and his makers events for kids. shipped a box of yarn free so that is gone too. about 14 skeins. slowly getting there.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
By default, the basement will lose some boxes/totes and empty boxes since DS1 is moving out. It's not nearly as much as I had hoped. Some items will go up for sale that he doesn't want anymore. I hope DH is ready to help purge things in the cellar and garage.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Peg, you are AMAZING!! �� I have a couple of bags of crosses I made from plastic canvas and need to call and see if someone can pick them up as I have no way to get them there. Yes, there's a city bus but with our COVID numbers having doubled in the past 2 1/2 weeks, there is "no way" that I'm riding that, ya know?!

Have an awesome day!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I wouldn't go on a city bus at this time either....I only go to the doctors and have lab work done....that's it for me....hopefully by spring we will have a vaccine.....I hope someone can pick up your crosses.....they will go great in boxes....I love seeing what others put in their boxes....this year I was heavy on clothes since I was able to get new clothes for almost nothing.....

I started collecting for next year boxes....family sent me 104 dozen pencils yesterday....more are arriving tomorrow.....I need to get Christmas out of the way, start redoing my guest room, and find a place to store my OCC stuff....it can take over quickly....so much for decluttering....lol

Sun is shining and it's beautiful....
Stay safe...stay healthy....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi Peg,

Well - I called this past week to see if someone could pick the crosses up (I called two different churches) and in the past, this was always the week that I'd call but this year, they told me that the boxes have already been packed so it looks like I'll have them here for another whole year or close to it anyways. Darn! I called two of the churches in our small city (which only has a population of between 5 and 6 thousand) but they had both packed boxes early and were taking them this week to the drop off place.

They did mention that next year, it'd be best to call them sometime the middle of October as that is when they pack the boxes. I know that it used to be around "this" week though because that's always when I dropped them off before. Oh well, they don't take up much room so it's no biggie to go ahead and keep them I guess. lol

That's awesome that you've already got a start on next years boxes. I hope you get your room re-done and are able to find a place to keep it all. Have a great day and HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you and your family!

P.S. Our COVID numbers in our city was pretty low until recently and the day that I wrote the post about not wanting to ride the bus - we had a total of 74 confirmed cases with 18 probable and today it is up to 133 confirmed with 23 probable. My best friends husband is a nurse and got it and he's been in the hospital for 4-5 days in ICU on high oxygen and last night the transferred him to another local hospital where they have a pulmonary doctor on staff and they are talking about if he gets any worse, to put him on a ventilator. Scary!

I wouldn't go on a city bus at this time either....I only go to the doctors and have lab work done....that's it for me....hopefully by spring we will have a vaccine.....I hope someone can pick up your crosses.....they will go great in boxes....I love seeing what others put in their boxes....this year I was heavy on clothes since I was able to get new clothes for almost nothing.....

I started collecting for next year boxes....family sent me 104 dozen pencils yesterday....more are arriving tomorrow.....I need to get Christmas out of the way, start redoing my guest room, and find a place to store my OCC stuff....it can take over quickly....so much for decluttering....lol

Sun is shining and it's beautiful....
Stay safe...stay healthy....

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I am trying to declutter and then my mom says to my kids hey you want this and that. she doesn't ask me cus she knows what I say. so time for a new thrift store box.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
DS1 moved most of his things out of the house and gave me a stack of clothing. I'll wear some and put rest on ebay or donate. There are empty boxes that he doesn't want, so in the trash they go.

Peg & Scarlett- Your time and donations are extremely generous. Scarlett, maybe you can send Peg the crosses to add to the shoeboxes or find a Christmas Child donation in the area to give them to? Maybe there are other ministries at churches that can use them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Rujerro,

That is a fantastic idea, however I believe that hers are already been sent for this year and even if not, I have no way to the post office to mail anything. As for regular letters and such, I can mail them here in the building I live in but wouldn't be able to do that with a package due to having to have it weighed for correct postage before sending. Other than that though, I love the idea!

As for making crosses for the shoeboxes, I love making them ... it relaxes me when I work on them and too, I love the thought that it'll go to someone and hopefully make them happy. ��

DS1 moved most of his things out of the house and gave me a stack of clothing. I'll wear some and put rest on ebay or donate. There are empty boxes that he doesn't want, so in the trash they go.

Peg & Scarlett- Your time and donations are extremely generous. Scarlett, maybe you can send Peg the crosses to add to the shoeboxes or find a Christmas Child donation in the area to give them to? Maybe there are other ministries at churches that can use them.

161 - 180 of 186 Posts