Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's get this one started as I need to work on eating down the freezer.

So far this year.....

Freezer used:
3 bags broccoli
pork chops

Freezer added:
2 packs of broccoli-chicken-rices casserole

Pantry used:
1/2 gallon sauerkraut

Pantry added:
nothing

waste:
none

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I cleaned out the spice cabinet yesterday. Threw out some old, rarely used spices. Added a step organizer. It looks so organized. We've added some new spices to the mix.

The freezer is packed full. I need to go through it and toss some things and use up the rest.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Went through the kitchen freezer and identified ~85 packages and containers of food items. There's a good deal that can be used as-is, but most is leftover/single servings. 8 containers of leftover canned tomato. 3 bags of pesto cubes. 3 containers l/o pumpkin or squash. At least 3 packages of blue cheese. 6 packs of bacon. Chicken and beef bones for soup. 2 bags of walnuts. 3 containers of leftover soup. Pita bread, slider rolls, muffins. That last bit of ice cream nobody wants in January.

Rather than list it all out, here are the recipes I think I can make to use it up. I will update and mark stuff off as it gets used:

tomato soup
blue cheese dressing
cherry pie
beef barley soup
thai beef noodle soup
pork shu mai
pumpkin chili
cheese crisps
french toast
spring rolls
crab rangoon
chocolate chip cookies
beef party sandwiches
sausage biscuits
sliders
pasta & pesto

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Freezer used:
3# ground beef
3Cups shredded carrots
1 pkg sausage
1 package sausage

Pantry used:
2 jars pinto beans - my last ones so I need to can some

Can't think of anything else. Main thing is that I added nothing to the freezer or pantry.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
there is always a sauce I wanted to make for steak that pioneer women does. but no one else likes blue cheese here.. blue cheese cream etc. easy. also love it on salad. squash soup is good too.

don't have a list but used up a bunch of the root veggies in the drawer, ice cream, turkey breast roast, cheese, box of dry pasta, bread, couple of bags of chips. frozen homemade spaghetti sauce. lunch meat. bouillon cubes. choc and cookies lol working on the xmas stuff. cake mix and frosting.

plus the reg stuff fruit, bread, milk etc. lettuce and rest of bag of croutons glad all the bans on romaine are gone because I was trying to save money making caesar salad at home instead of the $5 kits so got croutons, dressing etc and then boom months of bad romaine lol some old condiments in the trash and leftovers like hummus from xmas.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
We had pasta&pesto with dinner. There is more of both for next month. Made the shu mai with pork and dumpling wrappers and froze them. Just have to steam or fry for a quick dinner some night.

M, why not make the sauce for yourself and enjoy it? I do that with DH all the time. I put sauce on the side and he takes what he wants, if any.

Planning to make beef broth with bones, and then barley soup on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I think of it and forget lol we don't have steak often because even on sale it is $8.99 a lb. kinda miss the 70s steakhouses that you could get blue cheese on steak lol because sometimes it is cheaper to go out for steak then buy it from store. I get the wendy apple pecan chicken salad w blue cheese though or black and blue burgers sometimes.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I really need to go through my spices...

I am definitely working on going through my freezer stuff. I have SO MUCH meat out there, it's crazy. And just in general I need to use up some of the food I have. I've got a full big chest freezer and an upright freezer (plus the kitchen small freezer).

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Unplanned, but I used up 2 containers of tomato, leftover ham, leftover ravioli filling (spinach & cheese), frozen grated cheese, and a few slices of salami to make pizzas for dinner.

Also ditched the ice cube tray. Nobody needs that in January.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Freezer used:
1 pkg of ground meat

Pantry used:
jar of tomato juice

Added:
nothing

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Using up a piece of leftover steak, some beef bones, and leftover carrots to make beef barley soup. Also some rolls that were in the garage freezer.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I did a full pantry/fridge/freezer inventory at the beginning of the month and have been planning meals with the goal of using up products we already have on hand. Partly my goal is just to get rid of stuff that's been sitting forever, but another goal is to bring our grocery bill down.

What I do with my inventory list:
* I started with doing a full inventory of items in pantry/fridge/freezer (including garage) and created spreadsheet with all the items
* I put an X next to an item if we have it in stock
* If we don't have it, it's a blank (I use pencil, so I can erase the X when we use it)
* When planning meals for the week, I refer to what we have on hand in the inventory, come up with meals, check for any missing ingredients
* Missing ingredients get added to the shopping list
* I also add them to the inventory list
* When an item is added to the list, I put one line across like /. After we buy the item, I turn it into the X on the inventory list
* I can then refer to the inventory every week and can add any staples that we run out off back to the shopping list

The above strategy has worked very well so far. I've never thought I'd be able to actually menu plan, but I've been able to do it for 3 weeks so far, and it has worked very well. There's very little waste, and I'm gradually working through the inventory and cleaning out the pantry, which is very gratifying.

It has also forced me to get more creative with the food, and family loves trying all the new (or old) recipes!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Freezer used:
2 packs of beef
2 bags of corn
1 bag of peas
a pkg of ground beef
pkg of lo turkey

Pantry used:
2 quarts of yard long beans
1/2 gallon tomato juice

Added to freezer/pantry - nothing

Threw away - nothing

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Last of the spring roll wrappers are gone. Time to think about next week's menu.

Lucky, it sounds like you found a good system.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
well spent $$$ on groceries and household stuff. tp etc. so kinda back to what I had before but can't waste good deals when they are cheaper then the last 8mths.
bought and used up bread, creamo, milk, coffee, a can of baked beans, cookies, cereal, seasoned pork loin..pulled pork. chips, pack of frozen dumplings. ribs, kids eating kd cups, fruit, snack lunch food, juice boxes. frozen pasta. some frozen fish sticks got from mom for crows.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Using up freezer items- ground beef, whole chicken, shredded cheese, pizza, fries.....I will need to replace those but not yet. I want to keep going....

DH is smoking chicken today and I'll use boxed dirty rice and frozen spinach. I have several rice mixes but DH won't make them since they require a stove. He wants instant rice in the microwave.

Cereal was a great price again so I got 4 boxes. I'll pick up more this week. DS2 eats lots of it and is flying through it.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yesterday was grocery shopping day....

used:
nothing

wasted:
nothing

freezer added:
1 pkg discounted shrimp

Fridge added:
3 large containers of organic yogurt on clearance - clearance price was lower than regular yogurt

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Made french toast with some frozen bread and used up half a pack of frozen blueberries with it.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Freezer used:
3# ground deer meat

Pantry used:
container of cucumber powder

add to the freezer:
1 pan of hm lasagna