Frugal Village Forums banner
81 - 100 of 2948 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Sorry to hear about your medication woes, dc!

Feel better, CH. The tricycle clearly wasn't the only tripping hazard in that aisle.

Those fabric windows are definitely cool, Martha.

Started skein 2of9 last night on the navy afgan. I seem to be going through them pretty quickly, although they're ~5-6 oz. They're not that much smaller than the wool skeins I was using which were ~8 oz.

·
Super Moderator
20,211 Posts
I hope everyone is feeling better today. I'm getting my fancy shmancy insurance-better-pay gold crown Thursday, so I also hope all this medical drama isn't cyber-contageous.

I think I finally know what to do with the beautiful bow front curio cabinet we inherited 20 yrs ago. It's similar to this: Furniture Shelf Shelving Rectangle Wood

I want to add curtains to a shelf or 2 so those can be used for storage, and use the top shelves to display nice dishes. I don't have too many fancy dishes, but the ones I do, I would like to see and not have them packed away. The bottom shelf would be great for the silverware box and other stuff that goes with the fancyness that isn't special to look at. If I use the cabinet for dishes, I can put more large, seldom used kitchen items in the 2 hutches the fancy stuff is in now, like the canners, jerky maker, etc. I use that stuff enough I want to keep it, but it doesn't need to live in the kitchen. To clarify, the dishes are only part of what's in the 2 hutches, and should all fit into the new space, where it would all be together and better organized. Making better use of the curio cabinet will make much more logical use of storage in all 3 cabinets and shouldn't be all that much work. Finally!

UPS is confused today, I think. One of the new sewing machine feet is supposed to arrive today and tracking shows it's been scanned in 4 cities along the usual route we often see. The last scan 50 miles from here has the notation it's out for delivery, but the last entry after that says the package is being held by Customs and to contact UPS. I'm guessing it will show up today, unless it's being held at our local Customs office, which of course it isn't. I think someone hit a wrong button somewhere. We'll find out later today, I guess. But I don't see how a pkg could be scanned at 4 locations if it's sitting in Customs somewhere.

Got the first coat of paint on the little table and should be able to finish that up tomorrow.

I also figured out how I want to make the hutch top for the cabinet I want to make into a hutch. It finally occurred to me there's a wall cabinet in the cabin I want out of there. I went out and measured it and it will work with the base I want to put it in. The wall cabinet is only 18" high, so I can add 1 or more open shelves to make it taller. Not sure when this will all get done because a lot has to happen first, but it's good to have a plan. I'm always happy if I can add storage without having to take up more floor space. I'm also happy I won't have to trash the wall cabinet.

I got a lot done on the sunflowers yesterday. More stitching for me later today.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Those are cool fabric windows, M. They certainly fill up the space. Some of them look hand painted.

I have a list of stuff for today and don't know where to start. Need to find a box to mail some gifts, and of course, we got rid of all that crap last week.

Got caught up on the directions for the mystery quilt I was looking at a few weeks ago. 5 of the 7 parts are triangles. Ugh. Even if I was excited about doing it, I'd hate it soon enough. Prefer to sew squares, even with the die cutter to punch them out.

It's bright and sunny, maybe I will stitch some more this week before we pack up all the christmas decorations.

Knotme, hope you get your new space set up soon, it is certainly easier to get stuff done if you don't have to set up and pick up afterward.

Going to see what happens today....

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks. I got it partway cleaned out so can start moving my stuff anytime soon. I have been eyeing that mystery too. I still don't have fabrics pulled for it, just what I have previously cut in those sizes from cleaning up other projects. waiting for a printer head to arrive so cannot even print the clues yet. I have been saving them. trying to wait for the big reveal to see if I like it or not.

No dental appt today, cancelled because of snow. but the grandkids are loving the snow. already been out playing in it, and are inside because they are cold, and it's only been snowing an hour and a half. hope to get back to crafting and sewing soon

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
yes will have to look at pictures closer to see they were high up and my phone isn't the greatest. that is good idea for curio cabinet. you don't have to just put dishes in there but other decorative things. I have candlesticks, fancy mugs, good glassware wine glasses etc.

we used to feed the cats who were sick meat baby food. my mom has lots of senior cats and they live on wet food mostly the ones with the most gravy they like friskies or fancy feast and they have senior cat food too.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
So far, this isn’t shaping up to be a great week. Today the power is off, estimated by the company to be off all afternoon. For a long time the company has been moving down roads toward us, putting up or replacing poles. They have finally gotten to us. Thank goodness it’s not very cold.

I’m a little stiff and sore after the cane assisted hike yesterday but that will pass. Yesterday there were signs up that due to the sensitivity of equipment, phones and other electronics were prohibited. When I went in the second waiting room, two men were using their phones anyway. The rest were law abiding. But as minutes turned to half hours to hours, one by one the phones began coming out. Lol. It apparently did no harm as the medical cops didn’t come to round us up.

I’ll probably just putter around putting away bits here and there until we get power back on. I didn’t put a stitch on the sampler last night. I was just too wiped out. Tonight should be better.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Just registered for a beginner's crocheting class. Yeah, I know, I've been crocheting for quite a few years (decades, really). But I'm finally going to take the time to actually learn how to read a pattern and go beyond the single stitch afgans and scarves. The class is part of the township's adult 'school' program. It's only three weeks. Also signed up for the single class on crocheting socks. I think I'll take the knitting 101 class next 'semester' (or the next time it's offered) since it couldn't hurt to learn that either. I did learn how to knit at one point but put the project down and never picked it back up again. (Unlike crochet.) Then again, I did start with an afgan project, when I probably should've started with a basic scarf.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
DC, hope power comes back soon.

We had a really bright day here, so I got some stitching done. I was up for two strands but my wrist said no after the first one. It's looking like something now.

Chopped up some awful garish ice-cream cone print for quilting. It looks good with the orange/peach print and the neon green. Will make a great kid's quilt. It's about half assembled.

Spent the afternoon out. Most of the swelling on my face is gone, but ribs still hurt. Thinking of going to the gym tomorrow to renew membership and do some cardio walking.

Enjoy the crochet, Renmerc. One of these days I want to give that another try.

·
Super Moderator
20,211 Posts
You're right, CH, I would have loved that fabric place with the cheap remnants. Are you having fun moving into your new bag? Hope your wrist feels better.

Ren, that's exciting you're taking the crochet class! Congrats on opening up a whole new creative world for yourself. You will have so much fun. Remember, YouTube and Ravelry are your friends, YT for how to videos if you forget something you kearned at class, and Rav for tons of free patterns.

D, I hope you got power back and life is back to normal.

Knotme, glad to hear you're able to carve out a sewing space for yourself. That will help a lot if you can leave things ready to work on all the time.

I should be able to finish the sunflowers today, leaving just the border. It's simple so I hope to finish that today, too.

I also plan to start procastinating about cleaning up around my recliner today. I will be finishing the new little table today, and have to clean up so it can sit by my chair. The table should be ready to go tomorrow unless it needs a 3rd coat.

Another busy day. I like that. It keeps me from eating.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
CH and DC I hope you are feeling better.

CH, Maybe you could use a really bright lamp so you could stitch whenever you want to.

I made my Valdani thread purchase online yesterday. All of it was variegated colors. They have some interesting variegated color choices. I am kind of drawn to the blacks. They are not the standard black and white or black, white gray. They are blacks with other very dark colors mixed in.

It occurs to me that my various craft purchases for the year generally add up to less than 1% of my income. So I figure that is pretty frugal.

I could probably go quite a while without buying new supplies. But I will probably continue to make occasional purchases. I have enough thread and fabric to last for quite a while. The felt I use to embroider on may get used up quicker than I thought. When I do a piece that uses a lot of fill in stitches, it takes a long time. But some pieces have a bit of white space so those take less time.

The last thread dye batch was a success. The colors did not bleed out. However, I had forgotten that colors look darker when they are wet. So - except for the alcohol marker one - the colors are lighter than the picture I took when they were drying.

I got off early from work yesterday - we had an early dismissal for snowy weather.

I started a new embroidery. This one will be flowers. I have two different books with flowers. I am going to try several different flowers. I may also add a bee or butterfly above some of the shorter flowers. Right now I am thinking of solid green for leaves and stems and variegated colors for the flowers. This is going to have a lot of white space on it.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Furniture Table Rectangle Wood Art

Sorry everyone for crashing this thread, I tried to send pics to SD privately but it wouldn't let me send in a pm. ?

SD, maybe something like this would work for your puzzle dilemma. We had a puzzle caddy years ago and do not use it anymore but we do use the trays. We have even made more trays for puzzle pieces out of cardboard. You just make a lip around the edge so pieces do not fall off and add a thin foam top. Maybe make a bottom piece for the actual puzzle to sit on, stack trays on top and then make a cardboard piece that fits the top and maybe use Velcro strips on each side the hold it all together. Then when you need the puzzle out of your way you can slide it under a bed or put it on a higher surface to get it away from the cats.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Rabbit - that’s what I do for puzzles. I made trays in three sizes to accommodate different size puzzles, and extra trays for pieces. I used foam core board for mine.

I made a selfish decision last night. I’m not going to make the beaded kits for Christmas presents this year. I might do a couple late fall as we move toward Christmas and then a couple the next year. I may change my mind later, but I have so many great new kits and patterns that I really want to just work on my stuff. Since no one knew I was doing it, no one will be disappointed - lol.

Last night I also figured out why I have been so lethargic. Chest congestion became very noticeable. With the warm weather and intermittent rain I suspect the culprit is fungus spores. I haven’t looked at counts, but air must be full of them. Maybe also early pollen. I need to keep plugging away at the house, but now that I’ve recognized the cause, I’ll mostly just go with the flow and take it easy. This will pass and in the meanwhile it’s a good excuse for laziness.

·
Super Moderator
20,211 Posts
Rabbit, you are ALWAYS welcome here! Thanks so much for this idea and the pics. I love it! I think felt would work as well as foam to line the cardboard trays. I could make one large tray to work the puzzle in and 2 or more smaller ones to put loose pieces in. Small ones would be easier because they could be moved around for easier searching. I can size the whole shebang to fit the folding table. Love the idea of a cardboard lid, too. When there's no puzzle on them, the trays could be stored on edge behind something and out of the way.

Wheels are turning now! Thanks so much, Rabbit! I never really liked the roll up mat idea, but hadn't taken time to think up something else. Now I don't have to. *adding puzzle trays to project list and felt to shopping list*

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
That's a great idea for puzzles. I enjoy doing them, but have no place to lay out all the pieces.

DC, hope you're not getting sick. Do you have an inhaler for the spores? I understand the cedar pollen in the south is pretty bad this winter, too.

As for stitching, I find the morning and afternoon sunlight is better than any lamp, even my LED daylight lamps. It's just so much easier to see the holes. And I do need a better pair of reading glasses. These are ok for sewing quilt blocks, but not quite the strength I need for hand work. Just getting older.

SD, I have moved some items into the roll-around, to get them off the floor. I have not had time to sort stuff into pockets and add any extra tools. To start I am going to use it as a replacement for the two tote bags I'd normally carry to the quilt bee, and not put the machine in it. It will hold my cutting mat, extention table, presser foot and cords, cone thread and holder, plus whatever projects I am taking. I'll even be able to put my thermos bottle and snacks in there. :)

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
10,369 Posts

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Thanks, CH. I’m sure I’m not getting sick. This is normal. It just always takes a while to recognize it for what it is. I rarely get the hay fever type allergy. It always heads straight to my lungs. I’ll be fine.

One of the orders I placed, back on December 16, was with an often recommended Canadian company. I was just notified that it shipped today. About time. It’s the same place I ordered the frame extension from. Who knows when that will come!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
All 3 cross-stitch books are at the library now, I will probably go to pick up. Not urgent but I might want to - you know - use the copier at work before I lose access to it. :vs_blush: I have a 3-ring binder w/ that sort of stuff already. Started knitting another set of hand warmers to use up the pink yarn. I hope I can manage to give these away.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Ah yes! I do miss the work copier! But not enough to go back to work.

Big declutter step. LG’s mom is going to take my breadmaker. She and LG love to bake so it might as well be used. It was destined for a trip to the attic. I haven’t used it a year. First “tomorrow” and then “next week” just never came. They carried it out just now, the manual, a couple of big cookbooks, and about half the flour. And the yeast. Oh, and the special pan for baking French bread loaves. The machine has been sitting on my small kitchen table, always in the way, but that was the only good place to use it.

I’ve accomplished a lot in the kitchen today so now I’m officially off duty. Time to stitch.

·
Super Moderator
20,211 Posts
CH, I know what you mean about daylight, especially on dark fabrics.

I've been very pleased with my double eyeglass arrangement. I can't get by without my reading glasses because of astigmatism, but I can use a pair of Dollar Tree cheaters worn over them and that works great. It's like having adjustable bifocals I can change just by changing to stronger or weaker glasses. I can look through the double glasses to stitch up close, then glance below my reading glasses and look through the cheaters to see the pattern which is further away. I've tried so many different things over the yrs and this is working by far the best for me so far. I've always had a big problem with whatever handwork being a different distance away than my pattern, so I'm happy I finally found a cheap and easy solution. I don't even care how stupid it looks. I bought 2 prs of 3.25 magnification just to try them out, but next time I'm at DT I'm buying 5 more prs. I'm tired of running to get a pr, and at $1, I can have them all over the place.

I can imagine LG's family appreciates the bread machine, D. You will probably get more homemade bread from it now than when it lived in your house!

I thought of a piece of masonite I salvaged that would make a dandy puzzle tray. Since the temp had shot all the way up to zero, we went out to the garage and dug through the lumber rack to find it. It might work if I piece it, so I'm thinking about it. I might be able to frame it with parting stop or lath, both of which are cheap. I will have to see what the lumberyard has. I have a nice new heavy box the air fryer came in that would make good trays. Husby seems to really like this puzzle caddy idea. Maybe I can talk him into making the dang thing, at least the masonite part.

We found the other crib side I salvaged, too. Now I have to figure out a neutral color to work with our cross stitch. Maybe scratch remover would work better than paint. The crib parts are dark brown which might actually be a good color as is. I'll see once I get all the plastic and hardware stripped off.

I can't seem to resist adding more irons to the fire on a daily basis.

I got the sunflowers done. Now to assemble the box. I might line it with some anti-tarnish cloth and/or make some little drawstring bags for jewelry.

81 - 100 of 2948 Posts