Frugal Village Forums banner

1221 - 1240 of 2948 Posts

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
That opportunity has passed. Large items have been moved into the basement, and would have to be brought up stairs (neither of us can manage that) while moving the sewing room down stairs. And the sewing room would need to be completely re-wired. Big changes. Not happening. But that doesn't mean I'm not thinking about taking the sewing machine down there to do some quilting, using the big new table. It will be much easier than trying to cram a queen quilt into my little 24x36 nook.

Part of the reason for the remodel is we really want space to be able to entertain a few friends. Our kitchen is too small to hang out in, the living room is small and awkward. The deck is great... about 3 weeks a year. By cleaning and lighting the basement, and putting in a new sturdy table we can have people over for board games or movie night once in a while. Friends have been hosting for years, we want to take our turn.

I was going to share some updated photos, but the camera battery just died.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The highlighter is a good idea for writing, SD. I use Word for my writing and will use Comments to make notes as I work. That allows me to put in what I was thinking at the moment as well. I do have a good number of Moleskin notebooks for jotting things down, plot ideas and the like. In some of the notebooks, I have folklore and the like for prompts/muses. In others, I have actual plot ideas, comments/ideas for characters and their backgrounds, etc. This way I don't have to look things up on my computer or flash drives. Besides, it's nice to have something in my hands while I'm working.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Good you can use the big table, CH. No doubt that will be a huge help to you. I can see why you'd want a place for gaming.

Ren, I like the Word highlighter because it's easy to spot later. I've tried various ways to organize notes and plots but haven't found anything satisfactory yet. When I last worked on stories, I was just starting to use storyboards which might have some potential. I think I like using index cards. Notes that can't be rearranged don't work at all for me. I want to figure out a good way to do a timeline, too. Maybe I should make the top half of the 6' wide closet doors into a big chalkboard. Wonder how well that chalkboard paint works. Lots to consider now. But first I have to clean up.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I use the little sticky tabs on the notebooks to indicate things I may want to look at later. But highlighting things is a good idea. Index cards are good for plotting, especially for moving plot points to different areas. I don't know if Visio is still available. It's a Microsoft software for flow charts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visio I think it does building and floor plans as well.

Went back to working on the lapgan. I did get a bit done on the vamp afgan but it doesn't really feel like I've made progress besides the ball of yarn getting smaller. At least with the lapgan, I can see it getting longer.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I tried the little sticky tabs too, but they seemed inefficient for me. But at this point, I'll probably be trying lots of things I've already tried. People change over time, so sometimes it's worth giving some ideas a second look.

We've lived here 30 yrs and never seen an oriole. We've known they were in the area, just never saw one. Today a beautiful bright orange male showed up and did his best to get a snack from the hummingbird feeder. I went and got the oriole feeder I bought cheap for just such an emergency, brought it in the house, then dropped and broke it. That took an hour to fix, using some Eternabond and a chair leg tip. Not perfect, but it works for now. It's out there, but I'll be surprised if we see the little guy again. We don't have quite the right habitat, so he was probably just passing through. But what a fun thing to happen today!

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
I'm kind of afraid of what might happen if I put bird feeders out. We have so many here already and I try to encourage the natural habitat. I wouldn't want them to depend on me. A friend of mine has several feeders, and she loves seeing all the birds come right up to her porch. Feeding cats is enough.

I fought off the urge to go shopping, we really don't need anything. Today is a work day, if I can keep DH out of my hair. Got ground chicken and lamb out, just grabbed the first two packages I found. So chicken lettuce cup filling and kibbe will get made for later meals.

While that thaws I'm going to sew.

DH says he's not feeling well. He hasn't gone anywhere in 2 months so I'm thinking it's just a case of the blahs or some indigestion.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
love the cross stitches! lol the list has a few outs.. think a booze truck and magic mike would be great. yes just to get away. in the house there is always the to do list to look at or housework. or make sure kids are doing what they need to do the stuff. I do like when they are asleep in the morning and dh at work lol fingerweight yarn and single stitch..that takes long! I did one cowl and that was enough lol

That would be neat to see an Oriole.. not something that is here. Doesn't it seem that men get like kids when they are older. like dh started pouting etc and complaining about shows I watch...like I force you and finally was enough. he was I don't pout ..yes you do..not big time but when someone is sitting beside you all the time.. lol I don't think I am as nice as others I would be can you leave me alone for a few hours or do the same back to him. but I am still in mom mode lol I think writing is a passion and if you love you do it. and nice now you can have a blog or self publish too.

yes we have so much craft stuff because I got into beading..then the kids wanted too but they couldn't have my good stuff so they got their stuff.. yarn, sewing etc. they are crafty. but not having a place to lay things out and have a think on it. I am not super crafty in that way of putting colours together. and of course the cats. I would definitely do sewing on the big table. and would be fun for board games etc. that is my plan when more stuff is done in the basement. now I clear off the table and boom it is filled.

overcast here so don't think mowing the backyard is happening unless it holds off. would get ds up to do it but he would be tired and he is accident prone. dh is off again today so he is going off for coffee w friend and I can get some accounting done. have a hair appt at 2. boys did it yesterday. just our local one person shop. the bbq has seemed to die yesterday so dh is looking at new ones online. not sure what is for dinner yet. only thing that seems to appeal to me is making filet o fishes at home. have all the stuff.

library is doing takeout service now w your holds our local one, the other one not sure yet. so have to phone back and book a pickup time.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I am taking a break from some stressful bits at work.

On the plus hand I have an at home vacation coming up soon.

We could only get credit for future flights from our airline. Airlines are using a underhanded tactics. You have to cancel at least 24 hours ahead of time to get credit. But then the flights get cancelled the day of the flight. So if you have not cancelled, you get a refund when they cancel the flight. But you have already cancelled the day before because you need to cancel 24 hours ahead of time or you do not even get credit.

Congress has been considering making a law against it.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
On a less whiney note, I will show a bit of my work on progress. The middle button has some dark thread around it that does not photograph well.

IMG_20200520_161406101_1590005763684.jpg

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
That looks lovely, Kathy.

Seems like it is a day for things to go wrong. My iron is flaking out. Comes on at the lowest heat setting even though it is set higher, then shuts itself off while I'm ironing, then turns itself on to the highest setting, etc. I checked the plug and outlet, probably a wiring or switch error. It is 20+ years old, but not a cheap model. Not a $200 model either. I will have to do some online homework to find a new one.

Otherwise the strips are going together well. It is scrappy, but I am trying to keep it more coordinated and less random than usual.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,232
I’ve been putting together a grocery order but may or may not actually place it and go. I don’t really need anything now, but I’m thinking I should go about once a month at least. I’m putting all the meats I normally use in the order and I’ll see if I actually get any of it. I really need to start getting more in the freezer. For the rest, I’m looking toward the fall and winter. It would be nice to get some fresh veggies and fruit and I’m out of bread.

I finished all the blackwork changes yesterday and I’m cross stitching again today. My phone has hit the crawling stage before it resets in a few days. I’ve been on line more than usual, so the clamped down on speed earlier than usual. I’ll post some photos when it’s behaving again.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I hope you can get your iron working, CH, or find a satisfactory replacement.

D, we can't get groceries till the 28th, when Husby takes Mom to Hibbing. He'll be taking a short list of stuff we haven't been able to get in town. But we don't need much, either. Not worth going out for. We're with you on that.

My sling arrived. I hope it helps. Also got Shadow's new squeakers. The little ones don't squeak much and I won't buy those again. They're for small spaces in their stuffies, like paws or noses. She's really excited about the big ones though. They're extra loud, and she does love a good squeak.

Not much going on here today. I've just been reading old mss. and doing a little cooking. And ROFL at Twitter. No return visit from the oriole yet, and probably never will be.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Here are the fabric selections I picked the other day.

DSCN1580.jpg

Some strips cut and sewn.

DSCN1581.jpg

The first sets of blocks. These get cut into triangles and sewn again.

DSCN1587.jpg

I'm working on another set of blocks and have scraps that I might be able to re-work.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
I can't quite envision it yet, CH, but I'm sure it'll be gorgeous.
Yeah, it's definitely in "the ugly stage" right now. Some projects spend longer there than others. :)

Once I get the blocks assembled and the pattern is visible it will look better.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Hahaha! I just mentioned Romance Writers of America in another thread, and now have an ad for Harlequin. Of course!
well don't know what happened to my first reply. lol yes sometimes I mention or look up stuff to see how fast it pops up in other places. over a decade ago when this was all new... at dh work where things are very locked down so doesn't happen but at home... a teacher got yelled at by a parent cus those type of ads..you all know what I mean...were coming up on her young kids laptop. kids personal property laptop. teacher was all how can that happen to dh ...he had to get her to realize without saying it directly that stuff only comes up if you had been looking for it so the dad had been browsing the net on kids laptop. not their problem.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Oh, no, it's not really ugly. That's just a phrase DH and I use for that early-to-mid stage of a project (usually painting) where everything is a mess and you can't envision the beautiful outcome. I coach my young painters who want to give up because for a while it seems like things are getting worse, not better. They have to get past that and keep at it.

Sadly, with everything being cancelled left and right we aren't likely to have the painting and hobby event this year. It will depend on the school, and unless there is some kind of miracle cure, I am betting on no school events with masses of people, from all over, in close quarters, being held on campus.

I sometimes use misleading search words to confuse targeted advertisers. :) Still, would rather see Harlequin ads than some other stuff that pops up.

1221 - 1240 of 2948 Posts