Frugal Village Forums banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
That's great that you're seeing some progress in strength and blood pressure numbers. I wouldn't worry about weight right now, when you are fully active again you'll be better able to address that. Right now heal, get stronger, build endurance. The rest will happen in time. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Thanks. I was more hoping than expecting weight loss, considering that I only started PT about a month ago. Although I do feel like some of my pants feel a bit looser. So it's a case of losing inches first. Having something to commit to (going to PT sessions) and someone to give feedback on what I'm doing is helping. Part of the reason why I never really went to the gym at my complex was the feeling I wasn't doing things right. I didn't want to spend money on going to a different gym, not knowing if I'd commit or not. But the PT is nice because I know I'm doing it for a reason and everyone there is there for the same reason - either to get better or help them get better.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
The atmosphere at the gym can really make a difference. None of the ladies I exercise with are there to "get pumped" or find their beach body. We're all just trying to stay active and healthy, and give each other encouragement. Our class leader is really positive and wants us to feel good, no matter where we are in our fitness journey. I find the sense of togetherness very motivating.

Reactions: renmerc446

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Yeah, I think the atmosphere at the gym is the main reason why I could never stick with the gym, even the one at my complex. I may look into the Yoga place once things get back to normal again.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Another PT session done. I will be adding another "homework" exercise going forward. I'm feeling a lot better for going to PT and not just physically. I guess it's true that doing exercise does help with the stress. That and I don't feel like an idiot like I would've when going to the gym.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
I usually feel really good after a workout. Exercise stimulates endorphins which can improve your mood and help with depression and stress. I'm sure it doesn't hurt to get out of the house and see some fresh faces and get in a bit of a chat, too. Glad you are making progress.

Reactions: renmerc446

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Nearly forgot to do my 'homework' exercises today but did eventually remember. I was able to add another homework exercise to the ones I already do, with the blessing of my therapist.

I think I'm losing inches, rather than actual pounds. I bought a couple of new pairs of jeans a few months back in two sizes. I ordered them online since I think most stores don't allow trying on clothes instore at the moment. I had guessed on the sizes, based on previous purchases. But I ordered one in one size and the second in the next size down, just in case. The larger size still fits pretty well although a bit looser since I started my PT. But I tried on the other pair and they're comfortable (and understandably a bit tighter than the other pair). I think I may try on some of the other jeans I still have that I think are the same size as the smaller pair. I kept them in the hopes of losing enough weight to get back into them.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Had another PT session yesterday. I think Mondays at the time I'm scheduled for tends to be a bit slow, which is nice because I get a bit more personalized attention. On the other hand, I think this week is going to be slow due to Thanksgiving. (It's probably going to be just as slow around the end of next month too.)

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Another PT session done. I was actually surprised it was so busy, busier than I've seen it before. I would've thought that it would be all but empty, seeing as it was the day before Thanksgiving. But I guess everyone wanted to get in their PT before the holiday and potentially long weekend. My therapist added another exercise to my routine, this one on a balancing board. It was a bit of work toward the end but it's still neat to see how much work can be done with simple things.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I have had exercise classes that used balancing equipment. Think of how it will also train your body to avoid falls or catch yourself if you stumble. Sounds like a good exercise.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
The balancing exercises are more to target and work the gluts in my case but the additional bonus of not falling is always a good thing. The literal "get your butt in gear" set of exercise. T'ai Chi is good for balance since you have to shift your weight from one leg to another as you move through the form. That's what's so good about my PT and therapist. We're targeting all sorts of muscles with the different exercise and not just the quads.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I think the cold and damp bothers my knee more. Still keeping up with the PT, though. I'm doing better with eating better. Although I didn't do so well over the Thanksgiving weekend.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Nobody did well over the holiday weekend. :) Don't worry about it, stay on track.

I start PT on Monday for my shoulder. Object is keeping it strong while preventing additional damage. Also going to ask what I can do about muscle cramping in the back and neck areas. The cold makes me stiffen up a lot too.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
One thing I asked at PT is to use ice when sore and heat when stiff. But definitely ask your therapist since they will know your issues better than me. I'm sure your PT will help you a lot.

The 'homework' exercises helped me a lot. I'm pleased to be keeping up with them.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Still taking PT. But it's too cold to take a walk outside in the evening. But my therapist did say that I could do my T'ai Chi. I just hope I don't fall back into bad habits once when my PT ends. Then again, the 'homework' exercises are easy enough to do on a regular basis.

On the upside, I think I may be losing inches, at this point. The smaller pair of jeans I bought recently feel comfortable, a tad bit looser.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Still going to PT but I think it'll end fairly soon. My knee's doing a lot better, although I do still have occasional twinges. But I'm weaning myself off the cane. I just need to keep up with the homework exercises since there's a good chance I'm going to be working from home for some time, due to unsure nature of the pandemic.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts