Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
got dh to take a car load to value village....vhs tapes, pic album/frames, couple packs of cards and stamps from mil.. clothes, old video games stuff from kids, knickknacks..stuff gotten in gift baskets etc. board game that didn't go last time. some craft stuff.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Cleaned out the floor of the bedroom closet. Threw away one bag of trash and donated a bag of clothes, shoes, & purses. Gave dgd#2 a puzzle from my puzzle box. Been throwing out a lot of junk around here. Just things we find here and there. Will be doing a lot more decluttering this year.

Gave ds#1 and his family 3 tubs of stuff. The girls loved it. Barbies and beanie babies. There's more where that came from. From my house to yours!!!!!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I have a bag stuffed full of old clothes to take to donate. I threw a bag away. They were too worn and dirty looking to donate. I thought about trying to repurpose some of it, but I have so much stuff, it just needed to go. Giving away a small dresser. Dh fixed all the slides on it, so it works pretty good again. Giving ds the sound system that's been collecting dust. Found some socks I keep here for dgds, but they rarely need socks here anymore. Giving those to the girls. Took the stuff from the small dresser and stuffed it in ds' closet. I'll go through it later. Still lots of decluttering to do. I kept a few things, thinking maybe one day I'll lose weight and be able to wear them again.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Dropped off a bag of clothing and books in a drop box.
Dropped off a box of Snow Babies to my husbands niece.
Have a bag of stuff to take to a friend
Have a bag of stuff to take to thrift store....will do that tomorrow.
The books are a problem....so many....I usually place a checkmark on those I've read....but it's still a big job...
Food pantry has shut their homeless outreach down and she said they won't be offering anything for the homeless (other then food) for at least a year. So here I sit with two cases of soup bowls....lots of tablecloths....plasticware .....centerpieces.....etc....I will donate all of it....not going to store it....just not in the mood...I'm over this virus....

·
Super Moderator
2,009 Posts
I got rid of a tote. I have my fabric scraps in totes at the end of the living room. I had 5, I sorted through one and took out a bunch of stuff to iron for large charm squares. Then I was able to dump a smaller tote full of small scraps in with the small scraps that were left. Gave the small tote to a neighbor. Now I have 4 totes.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Dropped off a bag of stuff and a box of books at thrift store....
Still working thru the bookcase.....grandson doesn't have room for bookcases so will empty and put in drive with $20 and maybe someone will take...if not, the sign will change to "Free."

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Took down the curtains in ds old room. Was going to just toss them, but they are a pretty heavy fabric. I may make a couple of aprons from them. Dropped off the bag of clothes to the DAV and got rid of the dresser. Picked up some old cake pans from my mom. Kept 2 and a pie plate, threw the other two in the trash. They weren't worth keeping.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Dropping off another two bags of books today. Bookcase is empty and ready to be put on curb. Got to get the bed out of room also. Found a nice wood trundle bed for $30. Will pick up a cheap memory foam mattress for the bottom.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Cleaned out the cubbies where all of dgds toys, books etc. were. Threw out a lot of old playdoh. Have a bag full of coloring books, puzzles and toys I think the girls will like at home. Filled a trash bag with old broken toys. Organized everything from 7 cubbies to 3. Put together the legos we have. Missing a few pieces. Bagged them up with the instructions and will give those to dgds to take home. Next project is the curio cabinet. Ds puts a lot of little things in there, for safe keeping. Well, it's getting cleaned out. I'm even packing away a lot of old dishes from my grandmother. Just keeping the salad set in there, because I think it looks nice. I got the teapots back from Mil before she passed. I got them for her when we lived in England. They mean nothing to anyone else. Will organized a shelf of just my England stuff.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yesterday I finally got into one of my desk drawers and it was nearly stuffed with A LOT of letters that I'd gotten over the past 3-4 years from letter swaps I've been in. I took the time to re-read the letters and a couple of them, I decided to save (so far, that is because I have more to go through yet) and the rest I'd gone through and didn't save, I threw out.

I'm not sure why I saved them all to begin with really because normally I just save special ones that I get, like if we'd written more than a couple of letters or if the letter contents or person who sent it was special.

I have more to go through today and then maybe later today (or another day), I'll start on organizing and seeing what I can get rid of from another drawer! (Someday I just might be organized. Woo hoo! 😂)

Scarlett

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I now have a big stack of shredding to do. Or may try to burn some this evening - faster. Sorted out box of stuff that came from mom's desk. Able to toss some of those items.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Cleaned out a tub we stashed in the room from the bedroom remodel. Packed up an old nintendo ds and games. That will probably get donated sometime. Put away a few things. Found 4 pairs of old glasses. Going to mail those today to VSP for their charity. Threw out old stuff like tums and vaseline, chapstick etc. Old and dusty. Still a little bit left to go through. Will most likely end up in the trash. Shredded a bag of papers. Lots more to do.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jettsmomm you can sell the old nintendo for decent money. or keep the system for the grandbabies. we have a bunch of old systems. I burn papers just easier.

filling the box for thrift stores..couple pairs of pants, etc. have to go though tshirts too. went though frames threw old photos and frames in box.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
friend was over saying how her ex didn't have a garbage can ..more on the lines of he doesn' t clean and kids are there.. said I have my old kitchen one in the garden so gave it to her for him. saves me from having to get rid of it and has been out there all winter. yes he can afford one but...so win win.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Martha- LOL about the trash can. Too funny

I tossed a drawer full of magazines. I told DH it will be times to clean out the garage and basement. He asked why...I think if we don't use it, it's going on Craigslist or the trash. We have wood flooring, plywood, antiques, clothing...I would like shelves for a pantry.....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have pretty much cleaned out all excess I wanted to get rid of.....I got rid of 99% of my books....I found a box of books a friend gave me years ago about the settlement of the west and I am reading those now and when I am finished they will go. Cleaned out the linen closet and got rid of a huge garbage bag of linens...took most of the stuff to a women's shelter. I love throw pillows but they are hard to store so got rid of the ones I'm not using..... Put new pictures up over sofa and lady next door said she wanted the big huge picture I had there so that is going....

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Back to work on closets and getting rid of papers. I spent less than an hour scanning a notebook full of financial stuff. It will take more time to shred, but I think time-wise not bad. I have a couple more notebooks to do. Fabric is all in a single closet now (about 8 boxes or plastic bins worth). I have an idea of what is in each one, as I use up I will consolidate and get rid of the cardboard boxes.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
Emptied another packing box of stuff in the basement. Rearranged one of the cupboards so I could get more things into it. Was able to slide some small boxes of dollhouse supplies into the cupboards as well.

Need to check JA for more stacking plastic containers. If necessary, order from Amazon.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
slow slog goes on. usual no electronics to get kids to clean. got dh to take the vintage lights and old bathroom light to restore today. a bagful of paperwork to burn. started another bag for thrift store. dh got rid of a pair of pants that keep getting back in his closet, I got rid of some of mils stuff..old fake pearl necklaces ..kept a couple.. washed them to get them clean and rotten perfume smell out and realized not going to get old watches to place to donate so in the bag. not really vintage etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts