Frugal Village Forums banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Newbie here and I have to say you all are inspiring! When I started decluttering to downsize to a truck camper I thought "Oh, I don't have that much extra." Four months in, I'm still looking at things and thinking "Why are you there, I haven't touched you in years?" and posting stuff for sale or free.

The thrift stores here (I'm in the PNW) are so overflowing that they're shutting several days a week and several Goodwill and St. Vincent de Paul locations aren't taking donations at all. The local exchanges like Facebook Marketplace and NextDoor have become the go-to for people decluttering and downsizing. It's amazing what's on there for free.

A friend of mine just picked up an enormous real wood china cabinet with carving and lighting that retailed for $2500 - ad said "Bring 6 big people and a truck" and the man who was moving gave it to him free because it was a family heirloom he couldn't take to the nursing home, and he couldn't sell it for what it was worth to someone who really wanted it. My friend said he about did a cartwheel on the guy's lawn because a china cabinet was in his "things to dream about" list for a long time. Now it's got a home with someone who cherishes it and knows its history. Made my day.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Mme- That's a great story. I'm glad the china cabinet found a great home.

I've got a donation box and pick-up is this week .I have some clothing and books. and will look for more items. DH refuses to part with luggage that hasn't been used in 15 years.......When we travel, everyone takes their own backpack or carry-on. Why on earth do we need this? I threw out 2 pr sneakers since they got replaced.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Mme - when I sold my (really large) parents' house most of the furniture also conveyed. I tried several auction places but all said sorry - nobody is buying large wooden furniture pieces any more. Most people have smaller houses these days. I like smaller versatile pieces. Pair of director's chairs and folding wooden tray tables go everywhere, easy to carry and don't take up much space when not in use.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mme- That's a great story. I'm glad the china cabinet found a great home.

I've got a donation box and pick-up is this week .I have some clothing and books. and will look for more items. DH refuses to part with luggage that hasn't been used in 15 years.......When we travel, everyone takes their own backpack or carry-on. Why on earth do we need this? I threw out 2 pr sneakers since they got replaced.
Rujerro, I wonder if your DH won't part with the luggage not because it's useful, but because of what it represents? I have a card my ex gave me long before we broke up. The relationship is more than over, in fact some days if I wasn't a decent Christian woman I might whack at him with an axe he's so annoying, but I can't bring myself to get rid of that card. I also have an old, slightly ragged bag I from my traveling days that is my proof to myself that I was once a person who would work a 12 hour shift, then grab my bag from my locker and fly someplace for my two days off. Maybe some day I'll be ready to give them up, but today isn't that day. Perhaps you could compromise and agree to store other things you're keeping but don't use often in the suitcases?

Since I'm downsizing to fit in a small truck camper I'm being ruthless, but although I know it's silly, I can't let go of a few things that even I fully realize are a waste of space so I'm trying to repurpose them. My ex has an attachment to a loveseat and a dining table he got at a storage auction. When I finally got frustrated and said "Why on earth do you want dinged up old furniture around when you want to move into a small condo? We're supposed to be selling the house and moving on as soon as we can." He just looked at the floor and said "They have memories in them." His great nephew (whose mother moved away when she got custody) did his homework and built Legos on that table when he was a child. It was a good reminder to me that even though we have a shared history, we're two different people with different memories of that time. So yeah, the furniture that barely fits can stay for now even though I personally would sell or trade it. He's going to have to get a moving truck and hire help to take them with him, and I have visions of him in a studio apartment with a six foot dining table and a red velvet loveseat, but to each their own, eh?

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Scheduled a donation pickup for Monday and found some empty boxes to collect items into. I found a box of hubby's old work papers (10-20+ years old) and started sorting recycle/shred. There were also some technical books he bought, probably obsolete now. I'll drop them in the book charity bin Thursday. 3 of my fiction paperbacks will go to Little Free Library this week.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Grocery sack of books gone to the thrift store today. More to get rid of.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Busily sorting through what seems like a lifetime of paper, but it's really just left over from my (now finished) school days. At 60 I don't see myself going back for a Master's though I won't discount the possibility. Still, most of the relics need recycling.

Amidst a jumble of old applications, test results and half-illegible notes from 2015-16, I found... A rather expensive commercial hoodie pattern printed on heavy paper, not tissue; a printed out crochet pattern for a warm-looking wool cowl/hood I would love to have and will use, and a "baby bunny soother" crochet pattern which is a bunny head on an about 12 inch square of soft double crochet whose purpose is to replace the blankie tiny ones cherish with something more aesthetically pleasing to adults and fully washable while still baby-safe.

After leaping about joyfully for a few minutes (which baffled the cat, though he purred along just on general principle), I carefully placed these three unearthed treasures in my considerably pared-down craft file. Anybody else unearth a windfall while sorting out the debris of their past life? I almost don't remember the woman who cheerfully tucked away a bunny soother pattern although she and her friends have no small children, just because there's always a baby in the NICU or a toddler whose parents can't be with them who needs one. It's good to be reminded of who I was back then; I liked her better.

·
Super Moderator
20,322 Posts
I'm always finding stuff I forgot I had but that I suddenly love again. Although since you asked, I can't really think of anything. Usually it's practical stuff, like the spice shaker bottles that go in a spinning rack. I knew I still had them, but only knew where a couple of the 16 bottle set were, but have been finding them unexpectedly lately. I'm still missing about 4, but I have a good idea where they are and know they're still around. In the meantime, the ones I've found so far are filled with some of our favorite homemade spice blends, in their spinny rack that now lives on the kitchen table.

That's not a very good example, but I can't think of anything else right now. I do often find all kinds of patterns (needlework and sewing) and recipes, too.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
don't know how many crafts hidden away lol but dug out a bunch to give away art supplies just needs to be packed up. mall was closed so toys to toy bank can go today. dvds free from dh school can go to little library. box hasn't hit thrift store yet. went though the cards new and old and photos in door misc stuff so recycled a bunch and made two piles for kids to go in their memory stuff.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Hubby was seized by a cleaning bug and cleared the floor in his shop area so he could mop it. He actually decided to throw out a bunch of cardboard boxes and gave me scrap wood to burn. He talked to me about switching all his bank statements etc. to paperless. He is the kind of guy who saves every scrap of paper including all the envelopes. We will see if he follows through on this. He has BOXES of paper. I de-cluttered a shoe box worth of costume jewelry from mom so it can go in the next donation pick-up.

·
Registered
655 Posts
MmeH: I love finding stuff I forgot I had. I have a thing for paper and wire. Wire baskets, wire corn dryers, wire hangars (and I know the actual Christina crawford...). Paper wise it is plain paper, artisanally printed paper books from Portlandia type stores. While digging through my paper stash BEFORE going to an antique store in search of cool musty journals I found 4 really cool notebooks for my new yearly journal. I had a hard time picking one. ALso found some little cookbooks (another fetish is local cookbooks) I had forgotten and am trying recipes out of now.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts