Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 420 Posts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Agreed.
Made the French toast casserole for this morning's breakfast, lots of leftovers for next several days. Started a new budget spreadsheet and entering changes. I will ask hubby to back up my computer soon. Supposed to get a lot of rain today, has not started yet. Various chores to do. Hope you have an enjoyable day.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Snowing here. We did not get much if any ice, which is good. Staying in today. Have some mail to get ready for tomorrow.

Chicken curry with rice and vegs tonight. Easy recipe. Need to work on next week's menu plan. Have a lot of soups and frozen meals like bbq and meatballs left over from the last few months, time to get those out.

Hope everyone's new year starts well.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
It rained hard all night and it's 15 degrees cooler today, mid 50s.

Made sauerkraut with ham and potatoes. Need to bake some bread but I'm not sure if I'll get that done, feeling pretty tired/lazy today. Also need to sweep and clean the bedroom carpets....there is always tomorrow. :)

It will be a no drive, no spend day. Tomorrow I have to go to town. My mamma goat has mastitis. I need to buy meds for her and unfortunately the store is closed today. This is the first time I've had to give my goats medicine and this will be a shot, twice a day for 5 days. She's not the friendliest of the goats so wish me luck. I plan on separating her from the rest of the herd and putting her in the old goat pen.

I'm working on a list of items I need to stock up on. The list is based on what I eat on a regular basis, what I can grow, can, dehydrate, forage, ferment, etc. I'm focusing on buying enough to last 6 months minimum or until the next harvest. I'm also thinking of buying a cheap greenhouse so I can start my plants from seeds instead of buying them. The only south windows I have are in the garage and its too cold to start seeds in there.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Yes to a better year! pouring rain here and was all night so perfect lazy day besides all the reg little chores. plus laundry. clean up and dirty down. and whatever pops up. yesterday was cleaning up and shook out tablecloth that I had bundled up on mess dining room table..had salt and pepper shakers in it ..well broke on concrete stairs. got them from thrift store and went looking.. well turns out they sell for $350 and up... next time I am not looking lol

We ended up ordering out last night so I have some leftovers and a kid can make dinner tonight and do the usual chores dishwasher and litter box. stayed up until 2am cus online concert so we are all running behind. watching ellery queen from library at the moment. found this years mrs browns boys xmas special on youtube and the special great sewing bee. kids will want to watch them too.

we tried to play scooby doo clue game I bought for xmas but it assumes you have played clue so need to find instructions for that part. so we watched enola holmes.

with new plan can't ph w cell. some things won't update anymore but still works..said only get spam calls anyways! dh is bugging me to find new one..was suppose to be bday present months ago but then my cell acted better lol don't really use it to call. so will have to one day but.... placed avon order and thought about going out tomorrow to body shop to get the after xmas deals. best time of year to stock up or place online order...will see.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I will have to get a new phone and plan next year. I have old ATT flip phone on 3G network. They are ending 3G service in 2022 so I must switch before then. But right now current phone is so cheap and my needs are so minimal I will postpone as long as possible.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Happy New Year!!:1partyguy:

DH is going to go with my idea of putting linoleum in the rental for floors since the guy hasn't contacted us about laying tile. He said he would do linoleum but DH insisted on tile. Since he hasn't responded, it looks like the decision is made. So we will look at vinyl floors today. Most of the doors in the place need repair or replacement. Tenant was hard on the place. Not sure how an outlet cover went missing either.

I fried a bag of Costco cod. I don't fry much anymore. Maybe a few times a year if we have potato pancakes. It was good. I'll make enchiladas today and then macaroni with beef and sauce for dinners. Then fend fer yerself.

Looks like express scripts won't cover one of my lifesaving drugs this year. How nice. They cover less and less and having pharmacy insurance is almost not worth anything if they just want me to pay out of pocket for my meds. They now don't cover any of my life saving drugs except thyroid.

LL- Good luck with the goat.
Martha & Dlrcpa- I have a very old flip phone too. Has a qwerty keyboard and never breaks when dropped. It's on 2G and drops calls but I don't care. I like it and don't need much from a phone. Plus, it doesn't have the ability to get me tracked. DH says I need a new phone but I refuse.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
My youngest son and his family are coming today. Cooked a brisket and making deviled eggs, mashed potatoes, fried cabbage, cornbread, sliced tomatoes, and Texas sheet cake. Not doing much else today. DD found out that she has a temporary license to work while getting her permanent one. That is huge for her. Stimulus check came yesterday. DH said we were going to repair the deck with it. Oh well, happy frugal new year.

·
Super Moderator
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
snowing here, may walk to the PO. Made gingerbread yesterday, square cake and 6 muffins. Haven't had it in years, pretty good but not as good as I remember.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Good morning. Rain cleared off and not too cold, no complaints. I need to pick up dog food order at PetSmart, saved $10 using coupon they emailed me. In and out quickly. Hope to avoid cooking one more day, we have leftovers. Hubby wants some frozen crab cakes he received as a gift. I bet they are small, told him go ahead and make both for himself, I will eat leftovers. For some reason he does not like that plan. :confused?:
I hope everyone is well.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Grey and cold here. We had about 3" snow yesterday. Might get a bit of rain later today, hopefully not ice.

Rujerro, all mobile phones can track you when your device is turned on. If you have signal, you can be located.

GB, that's good news about DD's license. Hope she finds work soon, I hear there is dire need of nurses in all areas.

Everyone's menu plan sounds so delicious. I am making bratwurst with fries. Maybe a nice healthy spinach salad, too.

Doing computer chat with friends this afternoon. Haven't talked since before the holidays. Should be nice to catch up. Going to set myself up with some hand sewing while I am sitting here.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
pouring rain and wind here so home day. ordered my deals online yesterday since free shipping on one. dh doesn't like to be in all day so was bored and didn't like my suggestions..fix this and that.. I can always find things to do lol so the boys left to return non working headphones, library run and get milk etc. made ds cut up potatoes first for dinner cus he wanted to make this dish 2 days ago and nope..so main thing was cut up potatoes. don't need peeling but were sprouting. dh went though the fridge and found all the old hotdogs and lunchmeat that didn't get eaten so crows will be happy. think ds will be on canned tuna or cheese sandwiches. his sister just eats cheese or pb so I know it isn't her.

watching last dvd disk of ellery queen lol have seen every old actor I grew up with in it. put the clean chair cover on and within the hour cat w dirty paws all over it from outside. so dirty but it can be washed later. why I am not anal about housework anymore can do it and hour later looks like you did nothing. dinner almost ready dh doesn't like it.. stamppot mashed kale/potatoes w sausage. kids love it. laundry dishwasher the usual.

maybe watch a movie w kids tonight will see if they want too. my cell is a note 2 that got half price years ago cus note 3 was coming out.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
It was a drive and spend day. $35.67 - people food, $40.58 animal food, $4.95 goat medicine.

Good News on the goat meds! It's 2 shots, 12 hours apart and in the teat. My renter and I caught the goat, he held her down, she didn't move the whole time I cleaned her up, got the opening on the teat to open and injected the medicine. She was very well behaved and got a corn treat. I hope tomorrow goes as smoothly. This is my first medical experience with my animals and now I truly feel like a homesteading goat mamma. LOL

I had to get a new phone a month ago because mine was dying a slow death and I have to have it for work. Well, I could do everything on my new phone except receive non iPhone texts. It took 45 minutes at the store but they got it fixed at no cost to me.

Ate lo sauerkraut for lunch and made my version of HB helper for supper - 2 pints of home canned mac and cheese, a 1/2 pint of canned fried ground beef, taco seasoning and a splash of milk to make it creamy. Tastes better than the stuff from the store and ready to eat in 10 minutes. Yum Yum.

I cleaned the bedroom carpet today and it looks fantastic! It's a long way from perfect but it looks a lot better. Tomorrow after church I'll head into town and get spot cleaner to hopefully finish the job. I thought for sure I'd have to replace it and very thankful I don't have too.

I have a kidney stone trying to make my life miserable the last few days, no pain just pressure/discomfort. Today I picked up lemons and used my Kitchen Aid to make fresh lemon juice. I'm drinking 4 ounces of lemon juice times a day and as much water as I can drink without floating away. It helped 3 years ago when I had one that was so painful I was throwing up.

Last night the temp dipped down into the 30s and I used the gas fireplace for the first time ever and I love it! The living room is 67 degrees the kitchen a degree or two cooler and the doors on the rest of the rooms are closed the there is a huge difference in temperature.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Good morning. Rain today - again.
I finally made the carrot soup last night, I like the taste. Used 1C orange juice in place of water and orange peel. It needs more texture so I will cook some plain rice to add to the leftover soup, same way I do tomato soup. Looked at the frozen crab cakes and hubby is right, they are huge. But no cooking instructions, so he can deal with it because I am not going to guess and ruin them. Salad and rice pilaf on the side.
I found a eBay gift card lying by the sidewalk this morning while walking the dog. So probably spend time window-shopping on the computer today. :encouragement: I hope everyone has a good day.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Sunny here, but cold. Doing laundry today. Plenty of leftovers, so no cooking. Need to hit Dollar General and also take glass to recycling bins. One day at a time!

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Grey and a bit misty today. Still have snow cover and it may have frozen overnight. No plans to go out, but I may have to clear my car if it doesn't warm up and melt soon.

Therapy appt Tues afternoon. Making a list so I can stop at the grocery store on the way home. Not much of a sale this week, but we will need milk, bread and fresh vegs.

May fry some fish tonight to use up the last of the oil before cleaning the pan. I strain it and use it 2-3 times before throwing it out. Rice or noodles, and zucchini on the side.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Hope every one is having a good New Year and it continue though out the year.First day of no rain in several days and sun is shining bright.I haven't posted much lately but reading everyone post glad to see some people are keeping frugal village going keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Tine - Congratulations!!! I remember how good it felt when I sent my last student loan payment.

No drive but I did spend today, 123.87. My friend picks me up for church and afterwards we went into town (church is halfway to town) to pick up a few things at the store. Well.....all I was going to buy was carpet spot cleaner and more lemons but like all good plans... lol I just couldn't walk buy the frozen turkeys that were marked down to $0.56/pound. That's a savings of $0.93/pound. I bought 3 for a total of 48.86 pounds and a savings of $45.44. One went into the freezer and the other 2 are sitting in the garage. I will pressure cook them tomorrow, deconstruct and can them. I'll bake the bones, make and can stock in a couple of days.

My propane bottle is low and I'll probably have to go back to town tomorrow to exchange it (piss poor planning on my part as it's a 20 mile drive) and I'll stop at the store because one of the items I bought was on clearance but I was charged full price, extra $3.18 with tax. Not much but it all adds up. I'll check to see if they have any more turkeys and if they do I'll buy 2-3 more and can them next weekend. I love hm turkey broth and it will be great to have the cooked turkey on the pantry shelf.

The big ticket item was a CO detector with a 10 year life. The one that was in the house died a few months ago and with gas appliances I thought I better replace it.

The morning challenge was the mamma goat. She was a bear to catch and I'm glad there was no on with a video camera. Note to self - if this ever happens again lock the goat up until all treatments are given.

Exercised 25 minutes, eating left overs. Going to freeze the lo sauerkraut as there won't be room tomorrow if I buy 2-3 more turkeys. I figure the turkeys can hang out in the fridge until next weekend.

1 - 20 of 420 Posts