Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Snowing here. We did not get much if any ice, which is good. Staying in today. Have some mail to get ready for tomorrow.

Chicken curry with rice and vegs tonight. Easy recipe. Need to work on next week's menu plan. Have a lot of soups and frozen meals like bbq and meatballs left over from the last few months, time to get those out.

Hope everyone's new year starts well.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Grey and cold here. We had about 3" snow yesterday. Might get a bit of rain later today, hopefully not ice.

Rujerro, all mobile phones can track you when your device is turned on. If you have signal, you can be located.

GB, that's good news about DD's license. Hope she finds work soon, I hear there is dire need of nurses in all areas.

Everyone's menu plan sounds so delicious. I am making bratwurst with fries. Maybe a nice healthy spinach salad, too.

Doing computer chat with friends this afternoon. Haven't talked since before the holidays. Should be nice to catch up. Going to set myself up with some hand sewing while I am sitting here.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Grey and a bit misty today. Still have snow cover and it may have frozen overnight. No plans to go out, but I may have to clear my car if it doesn't warm up and melt soon.

Therapy appt Tues afternoon. Making a list so I can stop at the grocery store on the way home. Not much of a sale this week, but we will need milk, bread and fresh vegs.

May fry some fish tonight to use up the last of the oil before cleaning the pan. I strain it and use it 2-3 times before throwing it out. Rice or noodles, and zucchini on the side.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Jetts, sounds like a nice holiday with your family. Hope DS comes home safe from his deployment.

LL, those turkeys were a great find!

Sunny and warming up here. Hope snow melts off my car so I don't have to scrape it. Doing little things around the house. We will leave lights up until the end of this week. I think most of the presents have been put away, but a few things need cleaned up. I may start taking the cards down off my "clothes line" in the dining room.

Chili and cornbread for supper.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Good morning. Sky is clear and sunny and it is warming into the 40's already. Should be a nice day. Have PT in a couple of hours, so I will do a few other errands and make a day of it. Have to stop for food: milk, bread, fresh vegs, TP. We have been out of sandwich bread since last week. Made muffins on Sunday and corn bread last night. Going to try to not buy any snacks or holiday candy (assuming any marked down items are still around).

Chicken lettuce cups for dinner, with fresh spring rolls made with leftover NYE duck.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Looks like light rain and possible sleet or snow later today. I have a dentist appt to get a filling taken care of. Still have a few errands to do, did not get all of them yesterday.

Was surprised at the asian grocery yesterday to find they were out of sushi rice and rice vinegar, which are staples of Japanese cooking. I knew there would be problems with imported goods due to covid, but expected it much earlier. Maybe it's a local thing? I don't know, but plan to check a different store today. I found the vinegar at the regular grocery store (they had very few bottles left) but they don't carry sushi rice.

Grocery bill was high yesterday and I did not buy that much. Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese), one pack of chicken (1.97/lb), one lb ham on sale, bread, coffee, olive oil, canned beans, two $3 bags of cat food, TP, apples, lettuce, broccoli, green beans, cucumber, lemons, and fresh jalapenos, and two bags frozen vegs. Nearly all of it on sale and still over $100!

Was going to make mac&cheese for dinner, but DH wants me to get take out after I'm done at the dentist. I'll see if I can get him to make up his mind about what he wants before I leave.

Happy anniversary GB! Hope you have a nice day.

Rujerro, fixing up the apt sounds like a good plan. The little things like outlet covers, clean caulk and fresh paint can make a big difference in appearance.

Jo, hope your time at the dentist is short, and you have a safe drive.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Welcome aboard Wunsagin. Grab a handle and hold on, let's hope '21 is not the wild ride '20 was.

Jetts, was looking for the calrose shirakiku. They had jasmine and basmati, but that is long grain, and not sticky for sushi. I found calrose nishiki at the larger store on the south side of town. They had vinegar, but were obviously low on it. The store seemed pretty well stocked but if you looked closely many shelves only had a few bottles or packages at the front and not much behind that first row of items. I got a 10lb bag of rice which should last a good while. We don't eat it every week, and I have plain rice, brown rice, etc.

M, we have had mandarins here for a couple weeks. Got a bag on sale just after christmas.

Did my errands and went to the dentist. Had the news on the radio. Rained most of the day, after I left the house without a coat, of course. Not a lot of people out this morning, but it got busy after lunch, and roads were awful. Dentist had two afternoon cancellations and he must have been bored, because after the filling he was like "If it's ok with you I'm going to do a little cosmetic work here" and he smoothed some chips and grooves on my front teeth and buffed out a dark spot for free. It looks pretty nice, natural, not like I had dental work.

Picked up chicken and fries for dinner. Was nice not to cook after all the driving today. Not sure if it is going to get cold enough to snow tonight.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Cold and grey here. Might see some drops later. Glad to see that the drama is over. Done running around so it is housework and sewing today. Leftovers for lunch. Going to ask DH if he prefers mac&cheese or l/o bbq for dinner. Both are favorites.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
M, you can put cheese in the freezer for later. I always do that with blue cheese, because it is so expensive and we don't use it fast enough. Also gruyere, which I buy for some recipes and it can be spendy, too. Cut any mold off, grate it, and freeze immediately.

I've had a bad dentist or two, will spare you the horror stories. My current one is nice, doesn't play games with insurance or extra charges.

Jo, your lunch sounds yummy. Some of those packaged noodles are pretty good.

I'm thinking of making bread pudding tonight. I bought blueberries over a week ago and not only has DH not touched them, they aren't getting any fresher sitting there. I was going to do egg muffins, too, but the pans are dirty and I don't feel like washing up, baking, and washing up again, then making dinner, and washing up a third time today.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Cold, cloudy, with a little sun today. The snow is mostly melted so I want to take a walk this afternoon. Been cooped up too much lately, and feeling stressed.

Not much planned, the usual housework, some sewing for my quilt guild's outreach.

Will get some l/o bbq out, not sure if it is ribs or burnt ends, and warm up beans and corn for dinner.

Happy Friday everyone.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Lazy Sunday here. Slept late. 32 out but sunny, may go for a walk later. Good on groceries for the coming week, except DH has drunk all the tea again. Well, the tea he likes anyways.

Not sure what is for dinner. We have leftover bbq, leftover soup, and leftover chicken curry. That ought to be enough choices.

Supposed to have a warm streak starting tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Sunny but cold this morning, supposed to have a warm streak starting today. Slept in late, almost forgot the quilt guild has a drive-thru this morning and I have stuff to drop off.

BW, yes, always something you forget. Last year it was christmas pillow covers. This year I could not find them. Still haven't taken down the tree.

Dlr, bless your hubby for donating plasma. Hope he feels better soon. Give him an iron pill if you have any.

GB, glad you did not get any ice. I heard from friends all over Texas that it was quite bad in places. Pot pie sounds really good.

Jetts, hope you can figure out something with the family. Maybe knock it back to dinner once a month? Years ago i told my family that if all they were going to do is watch football and argue with each other I wasn't going to visit. But I know not everyone is that assertive. Your bedroom is going to be super nice when it is done.

I've been getting headaches, too. I think it's the really dry air we have, combined with having the heat on.

Dinner tonight is a big nicoise salad (canned tuna, green beans, boiled potatoes, olives over lettuce) and onion soup.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Sunny and cold but has started warming. Will be a nice day out. Have a couple of stops to make before I get to my PT visit this afternoon. Would like to find some place to just sit in my car and enjoy the sun.

Finally got my grocery rewards points from a large purchase I made a week ago. Their register made a mistake. I wrote a polite email to their customer service and they fixed it. It's always nice when that goes smoothly. Hope they change their offers this week. Canned pasta, coffee creamer, and bottled water aren't things we use, even when free.

Pork chops and smashed sweet potatoes for dinner.

Hope you all have a good day.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Cloudy but bright. Warming up, may clear up later. Should be a good couple of days to get some early garden work in, pulling weeds, clearing debris, etc.

BW, hope you feel better today. Urgent care is the only way to get treatment around here. Dr offices associated with the hospitals are all double booked months in advance. Great finds for your shoeboxes!

Rujerro, do tell the doctor that the new drug is not working for you. I have been through that with a drug I thought was going to kill me. I just kept getting worse, and the Dr kept saying to give it time. After 6 months I said "no more of this".

Sore today from PT. New exercise has me using muscles I hadn't before. Will be ok in a few hours. Have laundry to do, too. Can sit around in PJs today while it gets done. Ought to put the christmas stuff away, but I like the pretty lights....

Making black bean chicken stir fry and thinking of trying cauliflower rice. Have a tub of fried rice left from Monday, though.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Rabbit, we are months away from planting. Having a warm streak this week so I am just doing a little weeding. It's easier to identify some of the worst weeds when everything else is dormant. Pulled up a lot of invasive grass (still lots to get). It was sunny but the air was cold. Got to play with the feral cats a bit. They will chase sticks if you drag it on the ground like a string. Good little hunters. Gave a tug at the old pepper plants but they would not budge. Frozen ground or too dry. We have had a dry fall and our big snowfalls are yet to come. Noticed a couple shoots of garlic from my fall planting are peeking up. Still a long way from harvesting.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
I don't know how it is where you are but the supply seems pretty low. I've had a couple of things on my list that I haven't been able to find since April, not even online. Nothing major but things I would like to have.
You are not the only one. It varies from store to store but I have noticed lower stock in general. Bread products are hit-and-miss. One week they have everything, the following week it looks like a hurricane warning just went off. A lot of shelves only have one or two cans at the front, nothing behind them. It varies from store to store. I have read that some manufacturers have slimmed down the number of products they are making in order to focus on the amounts they can make. Personally I am having a hard time finding dark chocolate, and specifically dark choc with coffee beans or coffee flavoring. Everywhere I have looked (grocery, drugstores, Target, etc) has empty shelves with a few Lindt bars. Some of the freezer cases have not recovered, either. Pizza seems to be hard-hit, maybe it's just because red and gold are Chiefs colors.

Shelf Product Shelving Building Retail

Shelf Shelving Retail Rectangle Publication

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
LL, there are a lot of hurricane prep web sites you can look up. What comes to my mind (and you may have thought of these already) is having a chain saw to clear debris around or on top of your home, or the road if you need to get out. A weather/emergency radio to get information. Some method to communicate with family or emergency services. (cell towers may be down) A stash of cash in small bills since electric registers will be out of service and a lot of places will not give change back for large bills. Food and medication for livestock and pets. A plan for them if you have to evacuate. Spare fuel for your vehicle (if you have to leave you may not find gas within 100 miles of the worst devastation) and any tools/machinery you need. Have food on hand that you can eat without using fuel. Peanut butter, crackers, dried fruit, nuts, snack bars, cereal, etc.

--------------------------------------------

Grey and cloudy here, not going to rain but not going to clear up either. Glad I got out to the yard yesterday. Same old house work waiting to be done. l/o beef barley soup and french bread for dinner.

Dlr, glad you found some flour.

GB, hope your tests go quickly. Good find on the pasta.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Snow has stopped... for now. Might get more flurries later. Looks like maybe 2". Hard to tell because it was blowing around a lot.

Spending a quiet day at home. Did some chores, played with a little crafting. Having a cup of coffee and trying to stay warm. Have a box to mail when I go out next week, been packing that up and getting it ready.

Found ground beef and vegetable mixture in the freezer. Will mix with shredded cheese and make empanadas for dinner. I think that is the last of my ground beef, will keep an eye out for a sale. Have ground chicken, pork, and lamb, meanwhile.

Ru, that is too bad about your DR. I hope you can find one that will listen to your concerns.

Dlr, your JA sounds weird. They must have issues of some sort, low on staff maybe? Hope customer service gets back to you.

GB, hope the sleepover goes well.

Wish you all a good weekend.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Grey and cold. The snow has stopped and we didn't get much. Still, have no excuses to go outside this weekend.

Going to see if DH will pick up take-out for dinner, otherwise I will thaw some soup, and we have leftovers.

Reactions: bookwormpeg

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Was cloudy, now clearing up. Cold but looks like a good day for a walk and we have not got out in a while.

Processing a small pumpkin today. Half is cubed in the freezer, other half is getting turned into pulp for soup or baking. Saved the seeds and hope they come out. Last time I tried baking seeds they turned into a black mess that would not come off the sheet pan.

Have some leftover empanada filling and wrappers so I am going to make those up and freeze, then they can be cooked later.

Baked fish with brussels sprouts and potatoes for dinner.

1 - 20 of 395 Posts