Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
snowing here, may walk to the PO. Made gingerbread yesterday, square cake and 6 muffins. Haven't had it in years, pretty good but not as good as I remember.

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Went to DG, got some leggings for $5. Need something to wear under loose pants to stay warm on a walk. Also dandruff shampoo, batteries, mouthwash. Had to go to small grocery store to get a suet block for the woodpeckers. I'll pick up a bunch when I go to the big feed store where I have a gift card.

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Great sunny day! Snow is melting. Went to the dentist this morning for my cleaning. Have to go back for a filling. It's an old filling that needs work. He told me I had several watch and waits. So I guess it's time for this tooth to be done. My gums seemed extra sensitive today. They sent me home with a sample of a new crest gum toothpaste. I've seen it in the store, but was too expensive. Now I can try it out and see if it's worth paying for it.
I'm going for a cleaning tomorrow, having on-and-off anxiety about it, even though I went for a cleaning 6 mos ago and even had a new crown. I know it's probably safer than going to a grocery store, and more dangerous for the hygienist than for me. I have to fight against anxiety, it shows up in different ways, mental and physical.
Then I am going to my regular shift at the food shelf, even that gives me anxiety as I drive down but once I am there I am OK.

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Dentist was OK, appt. was 1/2 hour late but didn't take long (cleaning) - all that home care paid off I guess. Then she wants me to come back in 4 months instead of the usual 6. Nope. At $169 a pop I don't need to be coming in 3 times a year. Especially when there isn't that much to do.
Got some bird seed and suet blocks at the feed store. I had a gift card but it was one I bought. New feeder is really conserving the bird seed, the bluejays can't toss it all out anymore. Everyone likes the suet feeder.
Of course I got a package of suet that was in with the meat donations at the food shelf. I knew that would happen if I bought suet blocks. It's just a small package though.

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I don't usually post what I cook because it is just me and pretty boring. But today's lunch was good - Knorr Pasta Sides "butter & Fettucine" flavor, sauted an onion, some garlic, yellow summer squash, frozen spinach, and added a small can of salmon (the good kind in the tuna-sized can). Added a little shredded cheese. Really good and had enough for leftovers tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
mmm... blueberries, I eat them like candy. So good and good for you. Bread pudding, double mmmmmm....

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Went to donate blood today. I was going to do some shopping after, but decided I only needed the food items, went to the co-op across from the medical center. Bought some half-and-half for my coffee, I have tried various plant milks but they just aren't good in coffee. I only generally have 1-2 cups in the morning and I want it to be good. Stopped by the little free library, got some books. Left some books. Came home and made a naan bread pizza, and salad for lunch.

I had a hopper type feeder and the birds were emptying it every damn day. Then I switched to a bowl type, much better. The chickadees and a few of the bluejays can eat from it but they can't toss it all over. I throw some on the ground for the ground feeders too.

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Still waiting on my $600 stimulus payment, I got it early last time. The IRS site does not give me any info and can't tell me why. Typical. Also, my SS deposit is late this month, called the local office, they said there is some kind of a glitch, give it a few days. Ugh.

KimB, just noticed, what a cute doggo!! What's their name?

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Rujerro, have your son return the book to AZ. $109 is too much for a book that should not even have been offered. A review is not the place to comment on a single copy, it should be done through feedback, but only the person who made the transaction can do that.

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Still waiting for January's SS payment. Spent so much time on the phone lately I switched to Tracfone's unlimited plan, $15 a month for 2 months, then $20 a month. Oh well, I know people spend a lot more than that on their phones. Celebrated by calling my sister, and a friend in MI. At least we can still call people, even if we can't visit in person.

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
made some fried rice (from a box), added sauteed peppers and onions, and cauli/broccoli rice. Lots of vegs. Also had a salad on the side. Went for a walk, went to recycling, got some more books to list on Amazon.

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
In the "that's TOO frugal" department, I had a cup of chamomile tea the other night, thought it tasted musty. Next morning I looked at the box, BB 2012!! Even for me, that's too much. I thought they were OK as they were sealed in envelopes (Bigelow). I threw the rest of them out. Must be something I got from the pig bins at the food shelf.

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
Got a new toilet installed (by landlord). I painted behind where the old one was, old one had the tank bolted to the wall. Also installed a second shower caddy on the wall so I can have things handy when I am taking a bath instead of a shower. Bought and installed a handheld showerhead.

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #362 ·
Cut my own hair, saving $15 or more (I used to go to a barber, but they moved). I like it so much better short. Still snowing off and on here, but warming up gradually. So sick of the snow. I'm ready for spring. Finishing up my giant project of cutting 4", 5", and 6" charm squares and getting them organized. Then I can go on to sewing.

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·
Fairly good weather earlier today, got 7000 steps in (good day for me). Snowing now. Made maple tapioca pudding. Did some work on the taxes. Got all my numbers to make sense in the self-employment schedule. Gross - expenses = net x 3 platforms, two of which sent 1099 forms.

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #375 ·
Glad people are getting their shots! My 65th birthday isn't until late summer, not sure when I can get mine. I should consider myself lucky that I don't have medical conditions that would make me eligible before that. VT is going slowly by age groups - first 75+, then 70+, then 65+. Next phase will be medically eligible.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts