Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Jettsmom, Red Cross is till doing the mad-cow thing, but if you are interested in donating, check with other local organizations, too. About a year ago now, the CDC changed their guidelines to loosen the restrictions on people who had lived overseas. The Red Cross hasn't caught up yet, but my local hospital allows me to donate now-- which is nice because they have a huge cancer center and all the blood stays in our local community. Last I looked Red Cross was "working on" updating several of their policies, but no dice yet.

Busy-but-inefficient-and-no-motivation here lately... As I am typing this and my husband is droning on about politics even though I've asked him to stop... it is SO draining! Meanwhile, DD14 is at her first half-day of band camp, so I'll be picking her up in a little bit... the school is only 2 blocks away, but it is very hot and she will be very tired, so I don't really mind.

DD17 is over at her bestie's house, and I'll have to drive over there (way far across town) to pick her up a little later, so there goes another chunk of the day... but he will be out of town for the rest of the weekend, so it is good they have a little time. I picked him up and took them mall walking this morning, but DD17 didn't get very far before she started feeling unwell. No more coffee for her! After than I dropped them off at his house and did a little more walking on my own in the park to get my distance in.

We had originally planned to take or annual-ish day trip to the ocean, but nobody was really feeling it, so we just had a quiet day at home. It's bittersweet... on the one hand, HUGE cost savings (gas, road trip food, all the little things we do while we're there, restaurant for dinner,) but on the other hand, we probably won't get another chance this summer because DD14 is in band camp for the next week or so and is also going to be working weekends at the Rennaissance festival every derned weekend until October 24th... meanwhile DD17 turns 18 in 2 months, and while she still has another year of high school, we are transitioning more and more to everybody deciding their own things and fewer things done as a nuclear family. I know it's normal and they couldn't stay little forever, but still, it has me pretty blue lately.

Unrelated- but ending on a positive note, I got a bunch of lightbulbs for cheap at one of my local thrifts on Tuesday. They are all the weird new twisty high-efficiency ones, usually a couple of dollars each, but they were $.25, so yay... I miss the light of old style lightbulbs, but I also really miss that they were 4/$1 every day at the dollar store... these are all dimmable, too, because several parts of our house are on dimmer switches... also a big basket that I'll use for Christmas goodies when the time comes, and a few kitchen odds-and-ends including a nordicware bundt pan that looks like a castle or gingerbread house. I'll probably only use it once a year when I bake (soft/real) gingerbread, but for $2, I'm ok with that. I have a designated spot where I store all that kind of stuff.

And now it is time to go pick up up the 14 year old and make lunch. Very exciting times! ;P

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Yesterday everybody was tired, so after picking up DD17's bestie/dance partner, we decided to skip our pre-paid dance lesson, then eat a $$$ mexican restaurant dinner instead. Whoops. NOT frugal. At all. It was yummy, though, and tonight we had leftovers for dinner.

Tonight I finally got my monthly-ish pedicure. My regular place is closed for renovations, so I went to a place nearer my house... they were very nice and did a good job, but I'll be back to my other place once they re-open... They are a little more expensive, but the atmosphere is very relaxing and they have lots of different scented scrubs to choose from. I justify it by saying it is health care... good for the psyche, good for the circulation, and if I tried to do it myself, I'd suffocate trying to bend over!!! :)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
DD14 received her first paycheck (ever) today. She says she doesn't understand why we're making such a big deal about it. But it IS a big deal!!! In an era where "everybody gets a trophy," and schools cannot give you a grade less than 50% as long as you at least tried, this is something that she actually EARNED. She knows we are proud of her, and hopefully she'll remember that and someday look back and understand why.

Between her hourly wage and tips, she cleared $350 after taxes, and will be putting most of that into savings, though she has spent some of the tip money already on yummy fair food.

It will be Wednesday afternoon before I can take her to do her deposit. Because she is so young, our bank will not give her an ATM card, so we have to go during business hours and in-person. I am busy tomorrow, so we will go after she gets home Wednesday from her first day of high school. I think I'm going to cry.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
floor needs a wash but meah clean it and it is dirty five min later. do it when no one is home early so I can enjoy it lol.
I felt this in my soul. (Except for the part about no one being home... even after the kids are both back in school tomorrow, H will STILL be home all day since his lectures are virtual.)

need to switch to fall decor,
You are a better person than me! I do some for Christmas, then take it back down again-- sometimes do a bit of "cozy" through January and February... but the rest of the year nope. It's all I can do to occasionally beat back the clutter!

Reactions: josantoro

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Do y'all remember back in the 90's and 00's when companies were trying to play down "downsizing" by calling it "right-sizing"?

That is what I am doing today... trying to convince myself that we are doing the right thing... DD17 started her senior year of HS yesterday. And today, as soon as the bus arrived at school, they called the ambulance (again) because she was asleep and un-rousable (again.) SOooooo, I decided we cannot live this way, and we are withdrawing her from the full-day "special program" 25 miles from our house and transferring her back to our local school, 1 block from here doing only a part-day program. It took her a moment to weigh the pros and cons, but she's on board with it now and so is her dad. The truth is, the support she was supposedly receiving in that program was minimal and FAR outweighed by the extra stresses of bussing her across town every day.

If she has to walk to school, she can't fall asleep on the bus. If she's only going to school for a class or two each morning, she can't fall asleep during her lunch break. And if she DOES crash out and need us to intervene, we'd rather be 3 minutes away than 30.

BUT... this hurts, because it renews the grieving process for that perfect life we all dream of for our child when we are pregnant. It brings back ghosts of the "shoulds." She "should" be driving now, working, dreaming of some fancy college we could only afford if she was an over-achiever with crazy scholarships... If she wanted to do half-days, it "should" be because she is doing some sort of internship because of her brilliance in some field of study or because she was doing a work-study program like her aunt and I both did... not because she does not have the physical resiliency to tolerate a full day of classes.

She only NEEDS English and Math this year, aside from that she has met all her other requirements, and her full day program was a TON of filler classes. Ultimately, doing the bare minimum at this point is our best chance for her to physically tolerate school and graduate on time in June... but my heart is aching all the same.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I have been doing a bit too much online shopping the past few days, but the Pinterest AI knows me so well and keeps showing me wonderful things!!! It's nice to be understood (by a bot...) I bought funny socks that I had saved to a wishlist a while back that will be a Christmas gift for DD14, as well as a punch embroidery set. I've never seen that before, but it looks cool, and she is SO into fashion and restyling things, I hope she'll have fun with it.

Then, I bought myself some rainbow metal grapefruit spoons that have been on my wishlist forever... just because I wanted them. (And bought a BEAUTIFUL red grapefruit that will be breakfast tomorrow-- but that wasn't online...) And finally, since I keep losing my metal yarn needles (I break the plastic ones too easily) I splurged on a very cute magnetic needle-keeper tin. (It's basically a modified business card holder.) FWIW, I looked at different make-your-own designs and couldn't find anything I loved, and I DID check the thrifts for something I could add a magnet to... but in the end I spent money and got something I think I'll love instead of spending time and materials for something I won't...

Besides, I get so busy that I don't have time to track the packages, so when one shows up, it's a lovely surprise!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Zhoen- would an ad blocker work? I think my kid put one on this pc that he gave me because I don't see ads...Not that
Bite your tongue!!! I LIKE seeing pretty things! :)

Nice, sunny, beautiful day!

Miss kitty is doing well. They were able to remove the tumor. I guess it was a tumor, but a benign one.

Dryer takes 2-3 cycles to dry towels and blankets. I don't run the dryer when I'm not home, so that slows it down even more.
Great news about the cat!!!

Here it's still so humid that if you don't pull the clothes out of the dryer quickly, they get damp again from the moisture in the air that comes in through the vent!!! :rolleyes:

Hi everyone!
Hi Red! Sounds like you've been super productive!!! Nice to meet you!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I think it is Caron Simply Soft Tweed in brown. It truly is soft, I hope there is enough to finish the hat. Zhoen - probably what you were wanting for your daughter's accessories. Apparently Walmart carries it, Michaels and JoAnn do not seem to. I hope everyone's day goes well.
I love that brand... it's the only kind I use most of the time-- everything else feels rough to me. I have definitely seen that shade at our local JA... the Walmarts are far from here, so I usually only make the drive if I need lots of things across multiple categories (socks, brownie mix, hot glue sticks, etc... then it is worth the drive to make a just one stop.

Dinner tonight will be egg roll in a bowl, unless dh says otherwise.
I just made that for the first time last week, with chicken! Very cool idea!

Ok, so things in my little world...

DD17 started at her new school today, the one right by our house. Because she only needs two semesters each of math and English, that's all they signed her up for. 3 hours, every second day, then she walks home. I'm really hopeful that this will work for us. She said her day was good, she bumped into DD14 in the hallways, which is nice, because they haven't gone to the same school since Elementary. But since DD17 will only be there a little of the time, there shouldn't be too much "OH. MY. GAWD! My sister is SO _" drama... I hope :) She is still tired all the time, but she can do 3 hours every 2 days...

H had a biopsy a few weeks ago, and while the doctor STILL hasn't called him yet, we can see in the record that it came back positive for prostate cancer. That is not as horrible as it sounds-- it's highly treatable and his is in the early stages and self-contained/non-spreading. Still, lots of emotions going around over that. I am waiting for the doctor to call so we can get non-internet information. Meanwhile, H-and-schoolmates are about to take their first nursing school test next week, and tensions are running high with them.

DD14 still likes her job and is excited to go again tomorrow. She's not so happy with colorguard right now, but they only had one practice and no game this week, so she is getting a bit of a break, which is probably for the best. She's mean when she's tired!!!😜

No idea what I'll do this weekend... so much on the to-do lists, I feel like a deer in the headlights... I should just pick something and DO it... but it's so easy to just sit here and freak out, ya know?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Red Spruce, that little getaway sound wonderful! It is nice that you and Hubby are on the same page with things. (And following in the support vehicle sounds WAAAayyyy more my speed than bicycling for 2 days!!!) 🤣 I will dream tonight of a bicycling getaway in Canada with B&Bs and picnic foods... Gilbert Blythe will help me fix a flat tire and Anne Shirley will get me drunk on plum wine that we thought was raspberry cordial. There will be no teenagers for 300 miles in any direction... ;P

About 3AM I woke up with my left eye burning and my throat feeling like I'd swallowed a needle, so I guess fall allergy season is officially here... Luckily we live in modern times with antihistamines, so I am holding my own for now. My pill box says "24hours" on it, but nope, more like 8. I am hoping that it will be all clear by tomorrow afternoon because I have an appointment to give blood, and I'd hate to be actually sick and have to cancel. They have been having critical shortages a lot lately.

Tomorrow morning I am planning to meet up with an old friend I haven't seen in forever and she wants to go apple picking with her little girl. Not frugal. It is a nice, wholesome activity and all, but I always feel silly paying triple to do the work myself. ;P Still, that place usually has goats in a paddock, and I love that part.

My mom may-or-may-not be in the hospital right now... <sigh> Yesterday she didn't drop by like we had planned, so I checked on her and she said she had gone into the ER with some scary symptoms but was about to be discharged and would call me in the morning. Then this morning she said she was still there and wanted to be discharged but there was a possibility she might be admitted "upstairs." And then I haven't heard anything since... she is stubborn like that. She'll say she didn't want to be a bother, blah blah. If she is home, I can visit her. But the ER isn't allowing visitors right now (covid,) and if she is admitted I can only visit her if I am not having allergy-symptoms-that-look-like-sickness... so for now I am just waiting. Yay...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
It is gorgeous here today, but I still had to put on the window-unit ac in the dining room because of all the steam I'm making in the kitchen...

Chicken broth is done and I just used some of it to make hot-and-sour soup for lunch, then in a little bit I'll use a bit more to try a corn chowder recipe since some of y'all suggested that for my produce box project. I've never had corn chowder before, so this is a big experiment.... then later tonight I'll can whatever is left (she says optimistically)

The first batch of applesauce is done, and most of that went straight into the dehydrator to make fruit leather with about a pint in the refrigerator. There's at least enough apples left in the bag to do one more batch, which I suppose I'll can, but I may put that off until tomorrow. There are actually not really any bruised apples that I'm noticing, just small ones, so I think I can hold off a day....unless I don't... I am thinking I will take a few of them to do recipe trials for the produce boxes, since y'all have given me so many great ideas... I'm definitely looking forward to trying the potato/apple latkes!

And then there's squash to deal with...

And my mother is a stubborn goat, thank you to all of you for asking after her.

She is home now, being stupid and stubborn. What we know for sure: She had a stomach bug that had her coughing up "coffee grounds" and also had dark blood in her stool. These are both signs of bleeding in the upper digestive tract. She ignored all of that and didn't go to the ER until she had drooping on the left side of her face, was drooling, and was slurring her words. (All signs of a stroke.)

The MRI did not reveal any big clots, just "lots of little ones." So she has decided she "can live with that." She also refused a cardiac ultrasound to make sure the clots weren't coming from her heart and refused an endoscope to see where she might be bleeding from in her digestive tract. Since she is no longer pooping black, she figures it's all good.

She had an electrolyte imbalance that they fixed with IV potassium. Her red blood cell level was low, so they gave her two units to fix that. She refused to start any prescriptions for blood pressure or potassium, and has no intention of following up with her primary care doctor. She is a retired nurse who is "SO done with western medicine<big sneer as she says this.>" So no, you can't tell her anything.

I will be stopping by tonight to bring her some bananas and orange juice, since she has at least agreed to THAT... But in the medical world, we have to honor the right to "self-determination..." which means she can be as stubborn as she wants until such time as she either drops dead or becomes legally incompetent.

(So if you've ever noticed I can be stubborn, now you know I come by it honestly...)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
she emptied out a cupboard full of canning jars and lids into a box for me to take home. She is a professional who has no time to can, so she buys it all at Farmers Markets. Then she gives away all the empty jars to the canners she knows! She also gave me square and rectangular freezer/microwave containers for storing freezer meals. Plus a couple of water bottles.
Score!!!

Reactions: RedSpruce

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Baking bread later and pork chops and salad for dinner. My headaches have started up again. Guess it is the change in weather or impending storms.
Baking bread sound nice! I can't do that right now, I will eat it alllllll and my pants are just finally starting to fit again... 🤣

Anybody got any extra motivation they can spare? I seem to be all out...

I have SOOOoooo many veggies to sort through and either cook, freeze, or dry-store. And there's still at least 10 lbs of apples to sauce up. And I need to run to the store like I didn't yesterday. School is momentarily quiet, so I really SHOULD be working ahead on some of the projects and papers that are coming up... I have Christmas stuff to sort through and wrap and store, housework to do, projects to do, yardwork to do... and I have really motivation to do ANY of it... :whistle:

BUT... I DID finally slog through some annoying paperwork with the school so that they can't bill me for student health insurance that I do not need (they do this every year...) The approval came back in minutes, meaning they already had all the documentation they needed on file and were just being stupid... but anyway, that's one less bill they will try to send me. I am waiting to hear back about where I file my GI Bill paperwork this semester, since the physical office I used to drop it in is being remodeled and I have no idea if the lady who used to do it is working from home or if someone else is handling now or what... Until that paperwork is in, not only does the school not get paid (and keeps sending me bills) but I am supposed to get a stipend, but that won't come until the paperwork clears... will be nice to have that big chunk once it's good, though.

The ads on this page today are hilarious... Fashion-to-figure and Sephora... apparently the computer thinks I'm a plus-sized 20-something who gives a crap about how she looks! 🤣🤣🤣

I should vacuum. I'm not going to, but I should...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
They were in town last week to give me three gallons of honey.
That is AWESOME! I need a sister like that!!! I have given up on beekeeping for the next few years. Our area suffers 50% annual colony loss on average, and I was doing 100% :( So to keep myself honest I threw out ALL of my hives so I won't be tempted--but some day, when I live somewhere else, I would love to try again...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hiya Frugals!

I have not accomplished much the last few days, and the next few days aren't looking any better 🤪 I did make it out thrift shopping for a bit on Saturday morning, but aside from that, lots of sitting here at home ignoring the things that stress me. Sorry not sorry...

This afternoon I took DD14 out to town to deposit her paychecks (the one she got yesterday plus the one from 2 weeks ago that we never got to the bank with.) I did the first deposit for her last month because timing is tricky, but it was important for her to learn how to do it herself, so I am glad we finally got that done. Then she wanted to go to Dollar Tree and the pet store, where she spent her own money (allowance, not earnings, but still...)

Then tonight I didn't feel like cooking or more leftovers, so we asked the kids what they wanted, and big surprise, ended up ordering pizza.

I am trying to figure out how to be in many places at once tomorrow :rolleyes: I have 2 lectures lasting from 9AM to 3:30PM, with a 30 minute break in between, both recorded but they get snippy if people don't come in person... BUT... DD17 has a virtual IEP meeting at 1:15 tomorrow that is FAR more important to me than anything that may come up in lecture...meanwhile I am still doing research for my food box project I have been working on. I am trying to figure out if(a) The boxes on Tuesdays are just wildly superior to boxes later in the week (b)the boxes given at school locations are better than the ones at community centers (c)certain parts of the city are getting gucci boxes and others aren't. The only way to do that is to go to several sites in different parts of the city on Tuesday to see if all the Tuesday boxes look the same or not... which I can't do if I'm sitting in a lecture...

The end goal for all this is to pitch to the community center where I am working this semester that they become a distribution point for these boxes... but I want to have as much information as possible before I do that.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
QUICK!!! Everybody talk!!!

I am stressed and furious (school stuff) and need all the distraction I can get!

Tell me about your pets, the hilarious cooking fails you or your families have had, little triumps, ANYTHING... before I end up on the evening news!!! 🤣

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Also went by the recycled craft store. Trying to match some 15-20 year old fabric colors to finish a quilt. I got a few small pieces that will work. Too tempting to buy things there....
That place sound cool!

Besides this he steals food off the table (referred to as "counter surfing")... and drags the covers off the bed when I leave the house.
Ok, the stealing the blankets thing definitely made me smile! Thanks!

Sky Wheel Tire Brick Road surface

So my adventures led me past this place today... only imagine that the weather was grey and overcast. This massive gate is at the "dead end" of a street, at the top of a hill, so as you drive towards it, it is just LOOMING in the distance. Very cool. I hope to get a chance to learn more about it and possibly explore it a little some day... My travels also led me past Leakin Park... also known as "Murder Park" for the 70-odd bodies found there over the last 70-ish years, the most recent one being in June... Happy Halloween?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
not the revenge puker but the pee'r
This made me laugh WAY too hard... "the revenge puker" and "the pee'r." I am going to start calling my kids that in my head!!! am sorry that your furbaby isn't feeling well, though.

World Market had christmas stuff out.
I am SO jealous!!! I have to drive an hour to get to our nearest World Market! (And I do, at least once a year...)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Put the Sprouts app on my phone and I get two free products each week. This week I got butter and salad dressing. Got large pkgs of chicken breasts for 99 cents/lb. at Kroger. I’m trying to stock up and prepare for shortages that I hear are coming.
That's cool! I may have to look into that. There is a sprouts market out by my nearest-but-still-kinda-far Aldi. I have been adding so many apps to my phone lately for the free junk, what's one more?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Peg- I have done that with the vanilla before... you have started it in plenty of time, so it should be wonderful by Christmastime! Even with the cheapest vodka you can find, it still is better than anything labelled "pure vanilla" in the stores.

In fact, the current bottle of "store" vanilla extract I am using is the first time I have used non-home-extracted vanilla in YEARS... and that's just because sneaky DD17 started making her drinks with lots of "vanilla"... meaning she was irish-ing up her coffee and cocoa ... :rolleyes: It seems like I may be stuck with the store junk again until both of my clever girls turn 21... like you mentioned, those beans are EXPENSIVE... bad enough they have to be sneaky teenagers, but they can sneak mickeys and wild turkey from their friends' older siblings like everybody else... leave my expensive vanilla beans out of your bad teenage choices...🤣

1 - 20 of 43 Posts