Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Yes to a better year! pouring rain here and was all night so perfect lazy day besides all the reg little chores. plus laundry. clean up and dirty down. and whatever pops up. yesterday was cleaning up and shook out tablecloth that I had bundled up on mess dining room table..had salt and pepper shakers in it ..well broke on concrete stairs. got them from thrift store and went looking.. well turns out they sell for $350 and up... next time I am not looking lol

We ended up ordering out last night so I have some leftovers and a kid can make dinner tonight and do the usual chores dishwasher and litter box. stayed up until 2am cus online concert so we are all running behind. watching ellery queen from library at the moment. found this years mrs browns boys xmas special on youtube and the special great sewing bee. kids will want to watch them too.

we tried to play scooby doo clue game I bought for xmas but it assumes you have played clue so need to find instructions for that part. so we watched enola holmes.

with new plan can't ph w cell. some things won't update anymore but still works..said only get spam calls anyways! dh is bugging me to find new one..was suppose to be bday present months ago but then my cell acted better lol don't really use it to call. so will have to one day but.... placed avon order and thought about going out tomorrow to body shop to get the after xmas deals. best time of year to stock up or place online order...will see.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
pouring rain and wind here so home day. ordered my deals online yesterday since free shipping on one. dh doesn't like to be in all day so was bored and didn't like my suggestions..fix this and that.. I can always find things to do lol so the boys left to return non working headphones, library run and get milk etc. made ds cut up potatoes first for dinner cus he wanted to make this dish 2 days ago and nope..so main thing was cut up potatoes. don't need peeling but were sprouting. dh went though the fridge and found all the old hotdogs and lunchmeat that didn't get eaten so crows will be happy. think ds will be on canned tuna or cheese sandwiches. his sister just eats cheese or pb so I know it isn't her.

watching last dvd disk of ellery queen lol have seen every old actor I grew up with in it. put the clean chair cover on and within the hour cat w dirty paws all over it from outside. so dirty but it can be washed later. why I am not anal about housework anymore can do it and hour later looks like you did nothing. dinner almost ready dh doesn't like it.. stamppot mashed kale/potatoes w sausage. kids love it. laundry dishwasher the usual.

maybe watch a movie w kids tonight will see if they want too. my cell is a note 2 that got half price years ago cus note 3 was coming out.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Does canning cream cheese change its flavour? does it kept well? Congrats Tine! end of debt is great! :1partyguy: I bought 9 suet seed blocks a few weeks ago and already down to 3! hungry birds of all types chickadees etc. moved the cage to where crows can't get it. they take it all and stash it away. it is for the little ones.

had one day yesterday no rain.. 5 storms in 7 days another rain and wind one coming. hearing rain all night doesn't do much for bladder! dh had gone though the cheese/meat tray etc and found expired open lunch meat and hotdogs and expired full pack..like a couple of week so went to throw some out for crows my usual 4 to 8 well guess days of rain ..hungry! ended up with like 40 or more so put leftover bread and popcorn. and dry cat food. now back to the usual crowd.

worked today and got chinese takeout plus the bakery. haven't really been cooking lately except couple times. getting dd anxiety help so we had a appt for that when we got home. tomorrow get most of the stuff up off the dining room table and into attic. dh doesn't know that I want the wall cupboard out of our sm dining room. can't paint w it there and have had the paint for a couple of years. plus don't really need it anymore since no homeschooling so it can go downstairs. have decor to replace it. time to declutter and see some clear surfaces.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
good deals ch! welcome wunagain! shortage of asian stuff well huge community here so doesn't happen really. plus port city.

actually clear and sunny 5 rain storms in 7 days and cats are inside ...after days of complaining about rain. got the kids to help me clean out the wallunit ..just a single one so they discovered lots of forgotten video game stuff etc. some stuff went downstairs for later to be gone though and some on the diningroom table. was clear cus xmas decor was put in attic last night. lots of pictures etc. knickknacks old school books. so posted some stuff on fb to see if friends want it. discovered new pet litter is so perfumed and overpowering. sending my sinuses into overdrive.

got 2 deliveries so far.. one wrong address caught the driver and then he was back with our right package..ds xmas gift from ebay. vintage garfield mugs. then a call from driver who is afraid of cats but no cats outside on the porch. dh is like what when I sent him out to get the package..his last day at home and has had enough of stay at home parent life lol got ds to take the plexiglass that was behind the wallunit..was stored then from when we put it in with window a/c but now have central air. said put on the mini pinball game..he is too thick..top has been broken for years...apparently he bought new stuff 3 weeks ago to fix it..I didn't comment on the fact the gametop has been broken for a decade I think. starting a new thrift store pile. lots of dust from litter, reno etc. have to find a home for my cook books too for the time being.

grocery shopped yesterday at store w sales I wanted bogo hotdogs etc weird mandarins don't seem to be anywhere. turns out was 10% off day but got double charged on peppermint tea. day before got bread etc at the bakery. got marked down 12 pk candy canes that were marked down at till further for .24 each..put away in cold spot for next year. long list of stuff to do but not rushing. some things not a rush or really clean and dirty in a minute so can wait. have decor set I bought last year or so for dining room wall which now with unit gone can go up. room needs painting too. bought paint a couple years ago.

not sure what is for dinner. defrosted chili from freezer so that can be it.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Ch usually there are lots of boxes of mandarins for ages here.. I have bought them but they last maybe 2 days a box.. family loves them. some smaller farm markets have some. my mom noted that their was no little honey mandarins this year. normally so many you have to check boxes to make sure no rotten ones. oranges have come in and are cheap but family likes mandarins. guess cus of covid. ds is busy w math today cus he read the email wrong and turns out yes math work.

not happy that I noticed the gouda cheese I bought a couple weeks ago is moldy and I haven't even opened it yet. so thinking some things with cheese for dinner. since my system is not happy too. skipping breakfast w friend she forgot she was babysitting cus dd dentist appt. so tomorrow. still have to get card and gift card for my mom.

josantaro, my mom noticed that too..if no insurance to say only pay for x amount per year all of a sudden you have to come in more then normal. and they were bugging her about a missing molar saying she couldn't live without it and she said well I have since I was 18 and that was 40yrs ago so she stopped going to them. I need a couple teeth pulled cus they said if the fillings go need crowns and I am not doing that. freezing doesn't seem to work on one side anymore. old fillings from a teen that got replaced but if they do again not enough tooth.

I remember I switched the kids to dh office..then had to nag them to do cleaning and checkup in one visit..which normally dentists always do. ds teeth kinda all fell out at the same time like 12 at once and they said he may need braces so went to their referral ..how he was suppose to have braces (of course they said he did) with no teeth in his head... never did..asked him he said no..and funny switched dentists and teeth grew in and never heard about it again. $4k saved (glad kids take after my side no cavities etc) dh is not big on change so they just book him and last time was dec and then they phd saying insurance won't cover it cus too many times in a year so you have to pay. so he was well then I am not coming in, book it for when it is paid for. He doesn't like dentists but won't change either. I am it is a business. I have been told I need crowns for over a decade now I think. teeth are still fine.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
yes ch it is just annoying! I will cut the mold off and probably make grilled cheese from it. one has caraway seeds. it was our reg cheese growing up. I have avoided going to the dentist the last few years cus I just don't feel like it lol kids are due for annual checkup too but they pissed me off phoning after 7 at night lol not like it is a rush either.

I wasn't feeling well this morning from whipped cream last night so just worked today. was a sale going on for the frozen seafood lasagna etc so got that for dinner and a frozen mac n cheese. breakfast out is tomorrow instead. maybe value village trip w my mom and her. finally made the sonic jello I got ages ago ocean water...kinda tastes coconut.. we don't have sonic. no one really likes it so well cheap waste of money.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
was sunny yesterday but back to rain. had a burst of energy so worked on the basement and got some things moved and packed for value village. housework, laundry stuff to garage etc. basically rest of the family doesn't notice things like cat peeing on stuff and then I am downstairs.. went though shirts in storage I had forgot about. so some for kids some back in my closet and some to thrift store.

dh went to value village w car load and arbys ...very few here so hr or so round trip.. and they forgot ds gyro .. i don't leave drive though until I check to make sure

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
maybe your house your rules jett.. I know I am older so no fighting at mil or grandmas lol and anyone started...wooboy. remember one of the last times my mil was at my moms..my mom is kinda deaf..kids setting table while dh got mil..they were fighting said grandma may be deaf but nana ain't so shut it. and then my mil came in and I told her and she laughed and said damn straight. they are loving but say too old for that nonsense. can understand that!

back to rain but not that cold ..winds from hawaii. 50f or 9c. ds back in school ..the newly build one just opened finally. I am the same sinuses going but don't know if the heating or allergies. need to buy more reactine. found some other ones I had. no plans to go out today. texted ds to get some creamo on way home and dd can help w some work stuff. teach her something.

watching the enforcer..old Humphrey Bogart film while doing stuff. have a bunch of dvds from library to watch since dh doesn't like black and white shows. put away the water and takeout coffee cups that I had put though the dishwasher. some went to value village and some to recycling. the dinosaur shaped ones put w dinosaur stuff downstairs.

got the kids baby quilts in the cedar chest and got dd to take out all the pictures from photo albums and frames from mil ..all fit in shoebox size decorative box I had..they went to value village too. one half chest is dd other ds and still room to put stuff from school etc in too. slowly but surely decluttering.

opened the smoked porkchops I had bought and forgot..time always flies says expired dec 14 but still good so that w frozen mac n cheese and frozen veggies for dinner. easy peasy. scout stuff this week online too. always housework of course. last bit of chili and moldy bread to crows. ds needs to put out another seed suet block too. they go fast. only a couple left and no more in the store I got them. not paying $4 a block off amazon. 1.40 ok.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
yes it is hard for little ones ..my ds would go nuts if he didn't have playdates for hours at that age. some people made pods w other just so they have support or kids can play with each other but if you don't have neighbours like that it is hard.

was up late 3am last night and up early turns out dd was up until 5am so I am never awake by myself lol cats were what treattime at 2am. so made dinner early to put in the oven now. shepherds pie had frozen mashed potatoes from ikea to use for topping. found a frozen apple pie in the freezer too so that is in the oven.

dd and i watched the end of just add magic mystery city.. teen show but good. another new series on for me later. did anything requiring brain power this morning and before allergy med kick in.. dh has been warned. kids changed the litter in the two boxes downstairs. I grocery shopped yesterday on the way from work...$130 and I was what did i buy ..but reactine and advil was $45 plus couple bags dry cat food etc. so their was a big chunk. got the chicken dinner deal for dinner last night.

did one library run too yesterday..have my routine .. had work drama yesterday and not me.. someone else and not being told about it so had to smooth ruffled feathers and it was more work me and I made it clear that don't let it happen again without me knowing. one of those things where people think they are helping but not telling you and if it was done right would have cost me hours. it is a very independent job limited hours which is fine but hard to fill so they can't afford to lose good people. plus too old for this ! lol

just tv tonight maybe movie but depends on what time he get home traffic is bad though no rain last two days..coming again tonight. almost 50f this week so pleasant. got my body shop order which was on sale so stocked up and some gifts .

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I hope everyone is doing well! Bookworm glad you are doing ok! Rujerro sounds like you need a new doctor. LL do you have a windup radio? we have one from somewhere .. you windup it up for power. think there is flashlights like that too. I have bleach tablets.

though high 40s just cold so turned the heat up while dh is gone. our house works better when you heat it up and then the furnace won't kick on for hours. but he doesn't believe it but then I spend more time at home then he does. family woke me up most of the night..ds up until after 3 and then had his alarm going off at 7... well dvd day lol getting though ones from library. like to get the ones who have holds on back first. probably watch wandavision tonight on disney.

of course there is always housework etc but will see how much besides the reg stuff.. allergies up again. still have lots of leftovers too. think will freeze the soup. dh is out with his friend and will get milk etc. maybe laundry. every day work on the clutter in the house though seems the work stuff will be sitting though I just want the courier account number so I can ship it back. we are suppose to get snow next week maybe down here. down to last seed suet block so the birds better not be greedy cus out all over.

I have been seeing cherry bushes ..which are suppose to be like the trees but bushes so since I want to move my hedge roses that aren't doing good in the front..small to the backyard... too hot and too much sun in the front was thinking cherry bushes there instead.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
that sucks about the babies LL Here is a link to see what they are like. They are cherries you can eat. Just noticed says can't be shippd to my province! probably some stupid rule like we couldn't sell BC wine to rest of Canada but Washington was ok.

https://www.veseys.com/ca/crimson-passion-hardy-cherry-37201.html

thinking of costco today cus dh needs kcups etc and cheapest place for them plus I can get allergy meds etc. spent a couple hundred on amazon last night ... my coffee, big bag of dry cat food, found cheap kd cups for dd, and really big cans of heinz baked beans. dh is taking to likely them again and so is ds so thought why not..almost 6cups size cans. one reg one isn't doing it. so can use a big one for a couple of meals. so expensive couple shopping days but needed.

overcast and chilly here. not much on the radar except errands and chores. we watched Soul last night..good movie.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Sunny here getting chilly maybe snow this weekend. high 40s. Hope everyone is doing well! seems everyone is getting stuff done... applause with those with full time family at home 24/7 took me a week to retrain dh just on his time off... like wanting to get teens up early no reason no school or anything... I am this is the quiet time so let them be. precovid one time ds and dh were just being a pain for longtime and I finally said there is only one person in this room who can get pms so knock it off. that fixed it.

ds is trying to make hardtack for some reason...came home from work to him doing it. he added sugar and cinnamon..not working out but at least cheap ingredients..half day school. worked the last few days so done for now. one store got in the seed suet blocks and bird seed in so got 10 blocks and a bag of seed so hopefully that holds them until spring. the crows and raccoon have been well feed with leftovers etc. also discounted xmas rice krispies 94 cents a box so got 2 and 44 cents for box of 100 mini candy canes so got 2. aftereights were 1.94 so got one for dh for valentines.

we did the costco thing on sunday almost $300 later ..turns out they carry my coffee now too after ordering from amazon so got a box and dh coffee, cheese, pain meds, eye drops etc. so stocked up. somethings like cheese will be gone fast enough. got the chicken taco meal for dinner monday, tues takeout pizza, last night takeout chinese..lol not in the mood to cook. to celebrate getting the 12 huge cans of baked beans from amazon..beans and smokies tonight. one can is dented so will use it up.

got groceries at the other store too. gas pills, frozen mac cheese, lasagna, applesauce cups for dh etc too. have spent a lot this month so no one should be bugging me for stuff. just got milk too again. of course housework and laundry. slowly decluttering stuff and putting things away. have a bunch of new cozy mysteries from the library too.

dh is happy cus he is going out with his friend tomorrow who he hasn't seen for a while. back to routine he likes that and guy time too makes him happy.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Rujerro your tenant sounds like a menace! We got a bottom freezer LG late last year replace the lg top freezer that has had issues for years. apparently the guy at home depot used to be service guy for that older model. I would have gotten standard top freezer good old fridge but I wanted a smaller counter depth one. we don't have a big kitchen. most of the smaller fridges you can't put jugs of milk or juice on the shelf so this one works. has separate drawers which are nice. doesn't hold as much but we have downstairs freezer and we don't have big family. I am not a gadget person and don't like side by side. wanted a smeg retro one lol but..price tag!

we have backups of backups lol instant coffee kcups etc. I have been looking at thrift stores over the years for percolators ..got a tiny 2 cup stove top one and electric..handy when you camp w guides who don't do coffee. then found a bigger 4 cup stove top..didn't use but just there in case plus our old drip coffee maker, keurig..older mr coffee version prekeurig good for trips for cabins lol somethings just keep just cus...

sunny today suppose to snow maybe and salt trucks were out last night... which means who knows if will happen. ended up cleaning the dishwasher cus nasty big up. in the cleanup redo mode. so the antique game table that still needs fixing..bought from neighbour when they sold their house..built in chess board etc is in the corner of living room has plants etc on it. want it downstairs behind loveseat. so since didn't have anything to use we went out looking saw something online and beside that store was a local one that sells good quality at good prices. we got our couch etc from them. normally they don't have sm stuff. I wanted open shelving and they had a solid wood smaller open bookcase so got it. a place for my plants etc. stopped at safeway for milk/creamo and bananas ..hotdogs at that store were 99cents...so got 4 one for now 3 for freezer. half price ice cream bars too and marked down cake. plus hotdog buns.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Hope everyone is doing well! That is good news that the house is sold! It is hard isn't Bookworm..really your son has the last say his father. ..have to say we rented a hall in church or community, got decor and held a tea ..way cheaper $1000 maybe it cost both times. not that sil was behaving w fils. most do it that way. burials not common cus $$$ my friend fil passed $16k for a plot for both him and mil when she goes. they put one on top of the other. dh aunt was $10k from funeral home..cremated and only $100 of food you know squares from costco and coffee/lemonade.. but wasn't our call.

tried to snow today. in the 30s..dh home cus he had bloodtests mid day. he went and got the parts we had paid for when we got the bookcase. he sold us the parts for making a storage bed the one where mattress goes up and you see the storage underneath. dh can make a basic frame. ds had half day so could help bring trailer down etc. he was cranky cus no coffee etc. came home w wendys coffee and asked if I wanted it cus he thought it was bad..tried it and it was gross. he doesn't like strong coffee so he thought maybe it was that. nope tasted like it had been sitting for days. got him to go to library too. I have a lots of holds that came up so lots of cozy mysteries etc to read.

cable company upgraded on the weekend nation wide and problems..no phone..channels dropped..missed a few of my shows but tech out and all good now. got online work done...some issues w registering but all good. just hope end of tech problems here. been one thing after another. worked yesterday and got groceries cheese, bread etc. don't what to know my grocery bill is this month. at least plenty of food in the house. 2 of the cats not feeling good so hopefully just minor. came home to a fat rat going though the leftover bird seed on the ground..just throw out a little bowl ..lots of little birds here. just looked at me drank water and waddled off..said you know i have 3 cats..doesn't know only 1 is a good hunter/ratter.

just been puttering and cleaning decluttering.. did the picture frames which seems most from dh aunt more pics behind pics so got rid of some. tidied pantry and cupboard. got rid of some bottles in the fridge..a bottle w a little bit of ketchup which will be there for months since we don't use it much. work tomorrow and breakfast w friend friday. the shredded pork w carrots/mushrooms (mark down yesterday) and rice tonight.

just watched Christmas Waltz lovely hallmark movie..yes there is a formula but this one done well. plus good actors..and now want to go to local horror store for masks they got in lol

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
good for you bookworm! good luck on your dd job! the update wasn't our thing was the company's.. and funny they say not us.. yet problems all over..stopped at library and they had no power and guess whos companies vans were outside but came on shortly after I was there so got my holds. the clerk said other library was out too.

funny thing apparently cassettes are making a comeback! even dolly parton xmas album was available on cassette.

rain off and on.. worked today. leftovers or whatever you find for dinner. dh worked late and picked up milk. read the flyers ..some good deals cus of superbowl. we don't watch but will take the deals. got a delivery notice..turns out custom fees so go to post office friday.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
suppose to be a weekend of rain so normal! watching news ..people still go out of bounds on ski hills or hike without proper gear etc. rescue is volunteer and was on the news cus tired of this stupidity plus avalanche risk so they are warning do it and guess what you may be out there a long time. 8 out of 10 times is because being stupid. every year.

nothing exciting..dh off for parking lot coffee w friend. got him to drop off some books at library too. didn't go to post office so that needs to be done and get gas in my car cus very low. laundry etc too. dh needs to fix dining room table legs too. type w 3 legs from a post and one leg on both ones joint came apart. almost 100 yrs old so.. but right now only straight cus I have a box on the chair hold table straight. and rest of xmas lights to come down too. time for valentine decor!

saw my mom and went shopping yesterday ..don't watch superbowl but will shop the sales. 3/4lb shredded cheese on special $3.99 cheap here so got like 8 for freezer. frozen mac/cheese lasagna etc 3.99 so 3. hot pockets singles half price $1 go got 6 or 8 for dh lunches. fruit, creamo, breads, 75% off xmas chocolates.. $1 chips. that store brand is really good. bag of frozen italian sausages..like this brand cus sealed tight in smaller packs. a bacon wrapped meatloaf from deli. so stocked up. plus my mom got the coupon for bonus store points.

too early for gardens here. but have plans.. have cement decorative planters from neighbour..so will move my white hedge roses in there to backyard because have been in front for years and small...too hot. and put forsythia there.would be nice for spring. had one years ago but dh mowed it. yes he isn't a gardener. my goal w garden is year old interest with only little maintenance..which I almost have...now my winter jasmine is blooming yellow blooms. and red berries on the cottoneaster.

watch a movie tonight ..no idea what is for dinner. took allergy pill so slept in and fuzzy brain. but don't need that for laundry lol

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
sounds like grey and cold everywhere. we had some sun this week but back to grey. fb said 4 yrs ago lots of snow. not this week cus allergies are bad. gb I have my heating pad on my chair and my bed both always on now. good for bones. nothing exciting.. work, got the bookkeeping and we went for lunch. friend came over for coffee before...she is one of those people who can find someone she knows everywhere and when she left and I got ready for work came out and she was talking to the only people around for blocks walking their dog cus she knew them somehow..he came from the tiny town her dd lives in now.

not in a cooking mood this week..thursday got sushi and friend chicken from asian store, weiners and beans wed, chinese yesterday..plus grocery shopped and got a chicken taco dinner kit..comes w everything cooked salsa, wraps, chicken, cheese, cabbage, limes, cilantro sour cream $15 so not back since chicken isn't cheap here. got something similar at costco before and family liked it. well 3 out of 4 normal here.

still have fried chicken, chinese leftovers, half a big can of beans, a swiss roll for dessert too so no cooking.. and if so have frozen homemade pasta sauce too. cus teen boy who knows what is left. not into superbowl here except commercials. we have lots of shows to watch also. but since $1 sale etc plenty of chips, cheese etc. ground beef on for good price this week so will get some.
need to change sheets and do laundry. rearranged dressers in bedroom and cleaned under, dust tidy etc. found my missing chocolates. house needs good vacuum too but not today. did library runs also. so no reason to go out. though my friend and I said we need to go out for walks for exercise.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
yikes Ruj! did you at least luck out and the water get into stuff that you want to get rid of! we had something similar once not fun at all.

yes it is funny the only people around for blocks and she knows them. church I think ..she has lived in the area her whole life too. don't know if you have seen those memes of kids waiting for moms to stop talking at church. came out a few years ago and said to her youngest that is you lol

sunny but chilly here. was going to go shopping for new cell..my needs replacing ..acting up yesterday but fine today. my cousin said they got snow in holland..no trams etc. not common there like here. dh ran errands and had coffee parking lot date. leftovers for dinner stuff needs using up. not watching superbowl but since my nerves were tried by noon ..having a g & t mid afternoon. laundry on, sheets changed, kids occupied. took the faux fur pillow covers off and throw and washed them. put spring ones on. can do more but popped allergy pill so done.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
well rujerro..life happens and he can't get too upset ..he could have them somewhere else. we had the hot water break to the kitchen sink.after I cleaned of course...was talking to friend in living room..water starts coming..drawers were full and raining downstairs. thankfully don't remember much lol

well dlcpa if it was the end of march he probably would have something to say about that. a friend has 3 garages to downsize cus the sold one house where he was using the detached double garage for his business. house was empty so no reason to not let the people have it when they wanted but his wife and I joke about it. you put everything in and lock the door and not think of it again. though have though well dh barely uses his workshop maybe should take over some for women cave lol needs a good cleanout. and let the cats in there too cus think mice moved in.

well chilly for us and a few flakes.. some places a bit more.. time of year where we take a pic and post on social media sunny and green..buds. mild winter this year. not much work today. cat ran off from dh last night and didn't come in last night ..came in early afternoon cus was in when I came home. so he is grounded. coyotes in the city so no one out at night. stopped by moms arranged to go to safeway tomorrow. need groceries and want to get the ground beef on sale. did breakfast for dinner too. pulled the meatloaf out of the freezer for tomorrow. had turned the heat up to 24c/76 lol to just warm up the house..time to turn it down.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts