Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Cold and gray today. We're finally getting back to normal. Ds left on Saturday. It was sad. He's going to miss his dog. Calls every night to see her. We'll have her until next Christmas. Ds will be deployed in the spring for 6 months. Took down the Christmas tree. I really didn't want to put it up, but one morning I got up and the lights were on. Ds had turned them on. They stayed on 24/7 until he left. I'm glad I put it up. Didn't put many ornaments on. Got all that put away and moved the furniture again. Looks better. I'll just have to make sure the blinds are open, so the dogs don't tear them up trying to look out. I'll deal with the barking too. They get on the back of the couch and bark at anything that moves. Cleaned ds' room after he left. Still has a lot of stuff stashed here and there, but the piano is cleared off. Now to take care of everything under it.

Went to ds#1 house for dinner yesterday. Youngest dgd finally said "gamma". All I ever heard was "there she am". She was saying "gamma sit down". Watched football and folded laundry. Today I have some more laundry to do. Mostly blankets as we clean up. Going to go through the small tubs from the bedroom. Nothing is going back. Will all be divided between both ds and dgd. The rest will be donated. Then to start on the sewing room. So much stuff crammed in there. A lot of it was from the bedroom. Just need to go through it and do the same. Not much going back in. This is going to be a huge purge year for us.

Dinner tonight will be leftovers. So much food. Ds had eaten out with a friend and then he wanted bbq later and he didn't eat much either time. I'm sure his stomach was in knots about leaving. Dh took most of those leftovers for lunch. Will probably last him two days. Just a little bit left from New Years. That will be gone tonight.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Great sunny day! Snow is melting. Went to the dentist this morning for my cleaning. Have to go back for a filling. It's an old filling that needs work. He told me I had several watch and waits. So I guess it's time for this tooth to be done. My gums seemed extra sensitive today. They sent me home with a sample of a new crest gum toothpaste. I've seen it in the store, but was too expensive. Now I can try it out and see if it's worth paying for it.

Took 3 small tubs of toys to ds. Some were his things from his childhood that he'll probably just pack away. The others were Barbies I had collected and beanie babies. I'm sure some are worth something, but I'm just too tired to do anything with it. Gave it all to the girls. They were so happy. Lined up all the beanies and snuggled a few. All I know is I don't have to deal with the stuff anymore. And the boys won't have to deal with it when I'm gone. One day when I have nothing else to do, I'm going to pull the big tub of legos out and put them all together and bag them. Then the boys can go through and decided who gets what. Something for me to do when I'm bored. Maybe we'll have a lego party. No, that could get too messy with the young girls.

Need to make a run to UPS to drop a package off. Probably get something to eat while I'm out. Dh may have bok choy and corned beef stir fry for dinner. I'm not a fan of corned beef. I'll start working on my grocery order for this week. I may start cleaning out the dresser and getting rid of stuff I don't wear anymore. I have a drawer full of socks I don't wear anymore. So much stuff.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
wunsagin - jump right in. Glad to have you here.

CH - yes there is a shortage of asian items. We get bean thread vermicelli (glass noodles) and they haven't had it for months. Don't know when they'll get it. Looked online and can't find any there either. These are the thicker noodles. We can find the thinner ones, but it's a little tricky cooking with them. I haven't checked on rice. Better grab a couple of bags from walmart on my next order. Not sure what brand of rice you are looking for, but walmart carries Botan calrose rice. It is a short grain rice.

Need to get my dining room table cleared today. Find a place for the two tubs leftover from cleaning. One is for ds#2 and will stay here for a while. There are things he wants, but will wait until he gets more settled. Doesn't want to move it around all the time. I understand. We kept a lot of ds#1's things for years until he bought a house. I told dh it wasn't worth moving it every time they moved. Just leave it here until he's settled. Need for find homes for a few other things.

We ended up going out for taco Tuesday with bil. He doesn't look well and isn't getting around very well either. I think he drove his truck today. Not sure that was a good idea. Hopefully he didn't go too far. I may make some fish for dh or the bok choy and corned beef. We'll see what he feels like tonight. Need to cook the bok choy soon.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Ready for the sun to come out. Tired of the gloomy, rainy weather. Visited dgd last night. Took her to sonic for ice cream. Then she wanted to go for a drive. She "needed to get out of there". She's so funny.

Going to pay bills today and maybe go to the DMV. Yuck! I have two vehicles to title and license and one they need to correct the title. Their mistake, so shouldn't cost anything. Ds did his own while he was here. Need to set up new spread sheets for bills and donations. Dh likes to keep track of where we donate money or buy things for some of the animal places around here.

The bok choy and corned beef were a hit. Going to try some other bok choy recipes I found. Tonight dh will probably have fish. Not sure what I'll eat. I have a few frozen dinners in the freezer and then there is always soup or mac & cheese. I'm not a fish eater.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Sun is trying to shine. Much brighter today. Just talked to dgd. She's so talkative in the morning. I needed to get her grocery order for today. She'll spend the night tonight. Mostly salad stuff. I guess she's going to make papa a salad for dinner. Also needed fruit and chocolate drops.

Went to the DMV last night. Went to the app to get in line at 2:30. Didn't get out of there until 6:10pm. I waited in the parking lot about 15 minutes til I was 2nd in line and then waited inside for 30 minutes. I felt bad for the girl working. She was the only one and there were probably 20 more in the line. The other girl was doing licenses and they didn't give her a cash drawer, so she couldn't help with the vehicle side. But she was busy too. I like checking in online and waiting at home. Didn't get everything done. The state office was already closed so she couldn't call for fixing the one title. It's their mistake, so won't cost me anything. If I ever sell the car, I do have a copy of the lien release, so it won't be a problem if I don't fix it.

Going to do some shopping. Going to actually do it myself. Wasn't happy with some of the produce last time and that's mostly what I'm getting today. Scrawny little cucumbers that were going to spoil quickly. I wouldn't mind the small ones as long as the price was right.

Dinner will probably be salad. Dh mentioned it last night, but I stopped and got chicken on the way home. That was an ordeal. I was going to file a complaint, but when I got home, there was extra chicken in there. That made up for the incompetency and the snide remarks from the employees. The guy taking the order didn't know what I was talking about, so when I got to the window, I knew it was a different guy and asked him for what I really wanted. Not a big deal. But one of the employees said something about didn't I know this when I was ordering. No your order taker didn't know. May get Chipotle for dgd. She loves it. Trying to help her eat better. Maybe She'll eat a little salad too.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Sunny morning. I'm so tired and have a headache. Dgd spent the night. I don't know how she gets away with it. She's one spoiled girl. She was up really early. Let her have some tablet time so I could rest a bit more. She's growing up. Got up, ate breakfast, dressed, brushed her teeth and was ready for the day all by her self. I'll take her home soon. Going to stop at target. There is a $2 coupon that can only be used in store. It's worth running in. I'll come home and start laundry. It really piled up.

Got some more work done in the bedroom. All the outlets and light switch has been changed. Painted inside the window and painted the window sill. Hung the curtains. It's coming along. Cleaned out a little in the closet to make room for the two leftover tubs. One bag of trash and a bag for the DAV. Got to keep decluttering. Still need to hang the TV and clean out the dressers.

I'm really thinking I like when ds and family wasn't coming over for dinner on Sunday. The day just turns to chaos when they come over. I got used to the peace and quiet. I know dh likes the girls coming over, but oldest dgd is really a handful. It's a constant fight between her and her mom. They just pick at each other. Drives me nuts.

I may cook some fish for dh and find something for myself. Or make some bok choy and chicken this time.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Sunny and warmer today. Supposed to be warm tomorrow. Just staying in today. Dh took one of the other cars today. Left his truck behind me. I don't drive the truck, it's too big. He said I could drive it last week when I went to the dentist, but last minute, he moved all the cars around. Good thing. The parking lot was full and would have had a terrible time trying to park. We may need to do that driveway after all.

Anyway, I'm going to catch up on laundry. Need to swap out the loads in a few minutes. Have to wash all the towels, since I don't know where dgd dried off the makeup she dropped in the toilet. Bought dgd new makeup. I ordered a caboodle for her to keep it all in. Once we get the bedroom finished, I'm going to move my great-grandmother's table in there and dgd (she got her middle name from ggma) will use it as a makeup table. Dh said he'd hang the Tv in the bedroom tonight. May try to clean out another drawer in the dresser.

I may make some fish tonight for dh. We have some leftovers and may just eat that instead.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
The sun is starting to peek and it's supposed to be warmer today. Dgd is coming over to help take down the outdoor Christmas stuff. We pay her for doing jobs around here. She saved enough to buy her own ipad. Now she wants to earn more money. We told her payday is next Friday. She won't let us forget. I'll let her play with her new makeup today. She can organize it in the new caboodle. It should be here today.

Got all the laundry caught up yesterday. Still have one load to fold. It's the sheets we use to cover the couch. Usually just through them in the room downstairs without folding. Need to clean out the towel closet. Going to get dh some new towels. He said he doesn't like one of his anymore. It's getting too thin. He uses the big "sheets". Walmart still has the ones we bought before that he likes. I'll get a couple extra to put away. You know they'll stop making them soon. Looking for a new blind for the kitchen. Walmart is out and all the other places only carry the 64" length. It's too long for that window. The Wm closest to me has them, but that area has become dangerous. Shootings, fights at the mall every other day. I try to avoid that area.

Today may be a good day to clean out a dresser drawer. Need to get the trash together to set out tonight. Mail something for ds. Hope to get my Tv hung tonight.

Not sure about dinner. May stop and get panda express. One of dgd's favorites. Pick up something for dh and I too.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Wow those shelves are bare. I know a lot of stores do inventory in January. It’s easier to count an unopened case, than a shelf full of items. I haven’t seen any stores that empty, but then I don’t go in very often.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Windy and colder today. We have a burn ban through Saturday. Rained a little. Now I'm seeing blue skies peeking through. Heard a couple of military helicopters fly over. Slept late. The dogs even slept late. Nice and cozy.

Not much happening today. Dgd came over yesterday to help with the Christmas stuff, but played more than helped. Of course she found the dog poop in the yard. Had to clean her boots. She really needs to be around other kids her age. She has imaginary friends that make some really strange noises. I feel bad for her. She always says she misses her cousins (2nd cousins). They are her age and she hasn't seen them in about a year. Ddil had to go to the DMV yesterday. She said she was helping people with the app to get in line. I can't believe she would get that close to strangers.

Got ds' title mailed off. He traded that car for a new truck. He says he's coming in a couple of months for a short visit and will take care of the DMV himself. Thank you son. Going to clean off the TV so it can be hung tonight. NEed to remind dh to get some filter material. He wants to put it behind the cold air returns. Need to find a good brush for my dog. He has long beautiful hair and I need to find a better brush for him. Watching videos to see what others use. The one most suggested is $25. A little high for a dog or human. I'll see what else is out there. Also need to get a grocery list going. Dgd wants to make salad on Friday. Probably salad and pizza for dinner. Youngest dgd will be here too.

Dinner tonight for dh is fish, rice and broccoli. I'll probably eat a frozen dinner.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Snowing and windy today. Last I heard 3 inches. Stayed in bed for a long time. Cat came in and wanted to look out the window. Laid there and watched the snow come down. Dogs were sleeping all around me. Was quite cozy this morning. But need to get up and get some things done.

Got the TV and vent done in the room. Dh moved out one dresser and moved a small table in. Getting rid of another small dresser. I think my niece may need it. Went through my dresser some more. Got rid of a bag of clothes and threw a bag in the trash. Too worn or dirty looking to donate. Going to see if dil wants a few sweaters. If not, they'll go in the donation bag. I have one drawer left, the sock drawer. It will most likely be pretty empty when I'm done.

Want to go to the store today. Should have gone last night, but we were on a roll with the bedrooms. Dgds will be coming tonight. We'll have the youngest for a couple of hours, while mommy and daddy go eat. Oldest will spend the night. Dgd wanted to make salad for dinner again. She's getting pretty good cutting the vegetables. I don't think my lettuce is any good.

If I get to the store, we'll have salad and pizza for dinner. If not, just pizza.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Cold with the sun peeking out. Suppose to warm up a bit this week. Dgd spent the night. Took her home and got McDs for the girls lunch. Stopped at my parents to drop off a small dresser for my niece. Then dropped a bag of clothes at the DAV. Mom gave me some old cake pans. They are the two piece kind and thinner than most cake pans. Will be perfect if I ever make Boston cream pie.

Doing a few odds and ends around the house. Need to go get some straw for the back yard. It’s gotten really muddy at the bottom of the stairs and the dog keep tracking in mud. At least I hope it’s mud! May throw down some grass seed if we have any. The grass seed grows in really thick and strong when we do that in the winter. Need to finish up a load of laundry and then fold it.

Working on some grocery orders for this week. Bil heard about someone that got COVID twice within 90 days. Now we’re all a bit nervous. Don’t want to go through any of that again. Trying to be more careful.

Not sure about dinner tonight. May just be a fend for yourself night.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I'm ready for some warmer weather. May try to get my groceries while it's warmer. I hope the storm coming doesn't mess with the football game on Sunday. I think we need all the help we can get for this one.

Going with dh for his heart study appointment. This may be the last one for a while. THey ended the study early. He should find out soon which drug he was on. THey are pretty sure they know which one, since he had a cough and now that he's off of it, the cough is gone. He'll see the actual heart doctor in a couple of weeks for his yearly follow up. May try to pick up dgd. Not sure if she'll be able to come with us. Maybe we can take her for a drive thru lunch. It's taco Tuesday and she likes tacos. May even take youngest dgd.

We got some straw/hay for the backyard last night. Got it put down. Can't seem to get grass to grow there. One of our old dogs always pottied there and burned the grass and we've been moving dirt around all last year. May just need to do a concrete pad or pavers there instead. Finally got all the vents in the bedroom done. The cold air return was the wrong size. Got a new one last night. Probably spend the day doing some more laundry and going through more boxes. We packed everything up in the bedroom. Now to go through it all and throw out, donate and put away. I don't think much is going back in. I was going to put the alarm clock back in, but don't really use it. Use the phone more. Figured out how to set the phone so the time shows all the time. Now I don't have to grab the phone to see what time it is.

Dinner will probably be taco bell.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Sunny and warmer today. We have a burn ban, so must be windy. I don't see much wind now. Going to run to natural grocers. That's the only place I can find baby bok choy, and that's what I want tonight. They are also giving away a free grocery bag, and almonds. May stop at another store for our popcorn oil and a few other things. They have a sale to buy a pound of ground beef and get the other taco fixings free. Going to check that out. They have a couple of other deals like that too, but that's the one we'd most likely use.

Going to piddle around the house today. Still lots to declutter. Put in my Sams club and walmart grocery orders for tomorrow. Decided not to buy a new pool this year. Dgd said to just use the old one. We can use that money on a new salt water system and fence. There are more and more pit bulls running around. We have a ban on the breed, but they are starting to show up everywhere again. The one across the street got out and was barking at my little guys. I didn't like that. I have a feeling it will be a mean one. The owners are something else. That will protect us and especially dgds. We'll start looking for fencing supplies. We'll move it back a few feet from where the current one is, so the gas meter can be read. Dh wants to put in little doggie windows too. So much work to do.

Tonight dh will have fish, rice and bok choy. Not sure what I'll eat. May stop and get something while I'm out.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Picking up grocery orders today. Also going to stop at walgreens. They have some laundry soap for 99 cents. Dogs got me up early. Didn't sleep well last night. Haven't been sleeping well lately. Maybe just too much on my mind. The mail lost one of ds' car titles. I'll have to go to the DMV to get a replacement. He got one and then I got both of mine. I'm guessing it was lost in the mail. There could have been a problem and ds hasn't said anything. He's away training right now and we haven't heard from him all week.

Gave little dog a bath last night . Had to give him a trim too. He smelled pretty bad. I'd like to take him to the groomer, but he isn't current on shots. Harder to get into the vet these days. They used to be walk in, but with covid, you have to make an appointment and wait in the car, etc. I've been ordering their heartworm/flea meds from them online. I probably should do an order again soon. Ds forgot to bring the meds for his dog.

Made fish and bok choy for dinner. Dh started fussing about how I was cooking the bok choy. Why was I changing it. The other is stir fried with canned corned beef. This is a side on its own. Well, I gave him some and he quickly admitted he was wrong. It was good. It was a garlic bok choy I found on Pinterest.

Not sure what I'll fix tonight. I think I was supposed to cook the corned beef today. I'd better get it in the crock pot.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
It will be raining off and on all day. Not sure about the snow yet. Dil says it's suppose to snow. Maybe later tonight.

Planning a super bowl party now. It will just be ds and his family. Hopefully we can keep the noise down. It was driving me nuts yesterday. Luckily they were gone before the game came on. Next Sunday will be just dh and I. We need some quiet. Dgd spent the night again. She was getting into so much trouble yesterday, we let her stay and then it turned into spending the night. I want to buy some fireworks for the neighbors to use after the super bowl. They were shooting their guns again. Not sure where they are getting their ammo, but that is just too dangerous. And I don't trust them to be safe.

Dh is getting off early today. He has a dentist appointment, then we'll take dgd home. Will start cleaning out the cubbies in the living room and moving things around again. Going to go through my curio and declutter. A lot of stuff in there belonged to my grandmother, but it's just stuff, collecting dust and taking up space. The only things I remember are the salt and pepper shakers. I took the other stuff because it was hers. I'll pack it away for now. Then we'll move the piano back out to the living room. I don't remember the last time I played it. It's been covered with junk. Going to give dgd most of the toys. When youngest dgd comes over, she drags everything out and makes a mess, leaving stuff for the dogs to chew on.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Snow and cold today. Dh cleaned off my car before work, in case I go anywhere. I told him to leave it, because 1) I might not go anywhere, 2) it could melt before I leave. Always takes care of me. I need to get some fruit and maybe pick up dgd. She's spending the night. She's going to nana's house later in the week and will miss her Friday night at grandma's. Dil always cries about not getting to see her family. This is the 2nd time this month. And she gets to see them 24/7, unlike the couple of hours here and there for us. Dgd doesn't even like going. She's ignored. She's 4 years older than the next cousin and they always get on her when she's trying to play with them. She can be a little rough sometimes. She doesn't like the house, it scares her. She loves my house and cries every time we talk about moving.

We've been looking again. Bil is moving from next door. He just wants to get away from the toxicity of the family. Smart remarks have been made about him living there. We'd like to find a place with inlaw quarters, but financially it's not possible. Bil could chip in with rent, but I don't think it would be enough. He'll just have to move somewhere on his own. Maybe in the future we can find something or build something. I'll miss having him next door. Keeping up the yard is too much for him and dh doesn't need to do it. That's the main reason we have a riding lawn mower. I'm afraid of what could move in. It's definitely a fixer upper.

I think we're going to eat tacos tonight. I'll stop at taco bell and get dgd some cheesy rollups. That's her favorite.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Snowed last night. More than we thought. Roads are semi cleared. I thought one of the roads to the hospital would be more cleared, but it's not. Dh went in late. Stayed home and spent time with dgd. Last night both girls came. Youngest didn't want to go home, so we tried to put her to bed, but she was getting into things in the room. Finally she had a mini melt down and we called mommy to come get her. She's not ready to spend the night. Oldest was ready from day one. Dgd stayed a while this morning. Helped me clean out the DVD shelf. Just packed them in boxes. We'll keep them in case one day there is no streaming available. She kept asking if it was a "keep" or "give it away". I told her we were keeping everything. Just packing it away in the basement. Her mom and nana got rid of some of her toys. I told her mom to just pack it up and I'd decide what to do with it. Dgd cried because they got rid of one of her toys. I understand getting rid of clutter, but some of these toys were special to dgd. Some are junk. I get it. I have boxes and tubs in basement full of my sons' toys. One day they will be gone. I'm slowly getting them to take some of it. Youngest ds said he'd take his stuff, when he's more settled. He doesn't want to move it around every 3 years.

Going to finish cleaning up the shelf and move the kids books to that shelf instead of a box in the cubbie. Maybe they'll read more if they can see them better. So much stuff to go through. But it feels good to get things done.

Didn't have tacos last night. Stopped to get cheesy rollups for the girls and dh asked if I wanted chicken. We were there and it would be easier since we had both dgds. Leftover chicken tonight and tacos tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Cloudy, cold and snow on the ground. It looks bright out, not so dreary.

KimB - your grandson is cute. My dgd would live with us if she could. She loves it here. No one(parents) picks on her here. Some days she's very needy, other days she's a huge helper.

CH - your chicken stir fry sound delish!

Peg - sorry you are going through so much. Praying everything goes smoothly.

Need to finish boxing up the DVDs. I made a list to go on the outside. Now to find a place to store them. Moved the books over. Thinking I may stash something behind the books, so that things don't accumulate in front of the books. Some of the books are small and get pushed way back on the shelf. Maybe I'll stash the extra kleenex boxes back there. Dh thought it was good idea. Now to go through the other stuff on the shelves. Time to get rid of cookbooks I've never used and other books too.

Not sure about dinner. Something with ground beef. Maybe some soup and if I get started now, some homemade bread. Need to run to the store for some jelly/jam. Forgot it yesterday while I was out. The homemade jam I made, the sugar didn't dissolve enough.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Sunny today. Don't have any plans for today.

We have lots of hawks in our area. There is an owl in our backyard. I hear it every night. Last summer there was a hawk sitting on our fence. Kept the little doggies inside.

Probably do some laundry and may try to do some more organizing in the kitchen. Going to cook the ground beef. Either use it tonight or will freeze it.

Last night's plans were a total bust. Tried to get new phones, but Tmobile changed their deal from the morning and we couldn't get it. Wasn't about to pay the extra. Then decided to get panda express and the line was out of the parking lot, so just went to the grocery store, got some sushi, that was gross (rice overcooked) and bread and jelly.

1 - 20 of 260 Posts