Frugal Village Forums banner

321 - 340 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Had a high of 0 today and now the sun is going down. Not that we had any sun. Supposed to go to -19 tonight (actual temp, not wind chill). It is still snowing, but it has been very light.

Power company has said they are going to do controlled outages to restrict electric usage. We have not been affected yet. I started the turkey early so it has a chance to cook. I hope they don't shut anyone off during dinner. We have candles, sterno, and emergency radio. DH has gone around and shut off all the lights we are not using. I expect they will shut us off tonight sometime.

It is now 32 in the garage, but nothing is frozen yet. Hoping the pipes aren't a problem. It never gets this cold, and we haven't had to worry about it before.

Hang in there BW! It will be over before you know it. Stay home. Stay warm.

Dlr, how nice of DH to get the groceries. Hope it keeps you through the rest of the weather.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
It was so cold and snowy today. Dh ordered a folding table from sams this morning. Had to go pick it up. There was an accident, so it was slow going. put gas in his truck and then went to buy and refill some propane tanks. Most everyone is out of propane and we bought the last tanks.

We were supposed to have rolling blackouts, but didn’t affect us. Still could happen tonight or tomorrow. Need to remember to unlock the screen and take a key with us, just in case. We always use the garage door openers. No power, no entry. Leaving the door to the garage open and the room downstairs is open. Hopefully the pipes don’t freeze.

Even colder tomorrow. Dh will probably go in late, if at all. He should go check on the building. Dh made some insulated boxes to out out for some cats in the neighborhood. Not sure where they go when it gets cold. Don’t know if they were used either.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
-20 yesterday, -7 today. Need this day off work. 5 long days in a row on my feet too much for me. Making dental appointment, calling internet company as to why we lost service, laundry, making something with chicken from freezer to put in slow cooker. Praying hubby doesn’t get as sick from 2nd covid vaccine as I did. He got it 5 pm yesterday and so far no symptoms.
sounds like everyone affected by this cold weather. Hope power returns soon for those affected. Stay warm and safe.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
GB, power is out in most of your state. Millions affected and it may be out for a day or two longer. Hope you are keeping warm and staying safe. Glad you have a fireplace.

Kim, I have been hearing that the 2nd round causes a stronger response, glad you came through it ok. I still have no idea when I will be able to get a vaccine. My doctor's office said they have not been told if or when they'll get any.

It is a cheery 1F and sunny here. DH said we had a blackout this morning from 9 to 10am. I hope that's all we get. I don't know if he can WFH like this. I just turned the thermostat down again, it doesn't need to blow constantly.

Anyway, the plan is to stay home and find something to do. Going to thaw something to make dirty rice with for supper, and hope we have power to bake cornbread. Otherwise we'll have sandwiches and soup warmed on the sterno.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Very cold. Rolling blackouts again. So far we haven't been affected or it was while we were asleep. Maybe we're on the same circuit as the power plant. We rarely lose power ever. Once in 27 years we were out for 3 hours. Hope everyone is keeping warm. Dh went into work. Won't have to make up any time. The building is closed, but he'll go check on it. Make sure the pipes aren't frozen. They had a bad pipe burst several years ago in the parking garage. It was the sprinkler system. He turned it off over the weekend. Maybe not the best idea, but what's the difference, it's shut off to prevent freezing or it's shut off for repairs? Little doggie wants to stay outside too long. The others are smart enough to do their business and come right in.

Going to look at a new dryer tonight. Was looking at a new stove, but the dryer is 27 years old and takes multiple cycles to dry. The stove still works. May look at a new washer, but the washer is working fine. Would like a bigger one to handle the blankets. But the dryer is definitely a must. I'm not a fan of the laundromat. The one closest to me will be closing soon. Hope they relocate nearby.

Not sure about dinner. Not really feeling like anything. Most of the leftovers are gone. Just a bit of bacon left. May be enough for BLTs.

·
Registered
291 Posts
yikes everyone! Keep warm! Here we have power. I'm off grid so it doesn't affect me eitherway. We are not that cold, lowest it got in the past few nights was 8 degs F. I remember those 19below temps from growing up in Iowa! You know you're alive when you go outside in that!

I did hear recently that getting cold or experiencing cold can protect against depression. I'm not sure it's true, but when I woke up and the temp inside my home was 32 because I slept too long and the stove ran out of wood...I tried to remind myself that while I hit the chilly chilly restroom! I got the stove going again and it was up in the 50s by the time I got up for the day. Much better!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
hope everyone is ok! I saw on the news all the freezing etc in Texas. That is rough esp cus not what they are used too. hopefully things get fixed. Here we get wind storms so they always mention prepping for that and earthquakes but that isn't like San Fran.

Jett have you had the repair guy out for the dryer ? could be the thermostat ..we had that problem dh fixed it cheap and easy. our set is like 25 or more years old. keeping it as long as possible. the last time washer was repaired he said keep it. that was years ago.

rained so snow is gone and sun is out. in the 40s/9c today. finally made the prime rib roast. dh was so good said easy meal ..buy when safeway has it for 6.99 a lb and freeze. just put in oven w potatoes etc. easy peasy. pasta the night before. working every day this week. have both jobs to do. we paid for ds martial arts for the year got a discount which is nice didn't ask. $1200 basically but done. was a long weekend so dh had gone out for milk etc so we don't need anything and we did both libraries for dropoffs so that is done.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Maggie- Sounds like you're faring ok being off the grid. Glad it's working and you'll be ok.

I hope everyone can keep warm and safe if you're experiencing outages. I'll pray for everyone that are living in this extreme weather! Our temps have been - 18 and the hospitals are seeing lots of frostbite. Temps today will be a high of 30. We have a fireplace, however, its for decoration. When we had a power outage 20 years ago, we used it for light. Something to keep in mind is that gas appliances may have electric ignitors. Our stove and fireplace have electric ignitors but can be lighted manually too. DH can do that as I haven't a clue. He used to light the furnace when it went down in cold weather but I'm afraid of fire and wasn't comfortable doing it. When it went down in September's snowstorm, it became more difficult to light and made me more nervous.

I made fajitas for dinner and attempted cinnamon rolls. DS2 said the rolls were 8.5/10.

I picked up the bake sale leftovers and brought them to work. Sales were about $1300. From what I could tell, top sellers were breads, cinnamon rolls, cake pops, cupcakes and large cakes. Gift baskets sold and they were very large, with stuffed animals and such. We only accepted donations for items.

The family will have pierogis for dinner. I'll probably have soup.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Good morning. Going to parents', hope brother has some stuff ready to move. I don't feel up for heavy lifting but willing to cart a lot of boxes. Ground frozen here and hopefully down there also. That has been his excuse for not moving stuff - too muddy/snowy. I will probably have soup for supper. There is leftover meatloaf for hubby.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Snowed overnight, got another inch. Still coming down with sun trying to break out, it looks like glitter. Plow just went by. Trash has not been picked up yet this week because truck drivers are on plow duty, but they said leave it out, they'll get to it eventually. Temp is up to 17, yay for double digits! DH tried to go out yesterday for a work thing, his car would not start so he took mine. Weather is supposed to be back to normal (~45F) by Saturday. I am so ready for spring.

Hope you guys in the south get power and utilities back soon. I have friends in Houston who are ok, but struggling with outages. They said last night that temporary outages will continue here as necessary if demands continue to outpace supply. We are not lucky enough to live close to a hospital, nursing home, or emergency services (which will not have power interruptions) so I hope we don't get shut off again.

Dinner is soup (probably chicken tortilla) and a pre-made frozen fritatta. I may make some pao de queijo to go with it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Good morning. Sitting by fireplace, not by necessity as some in America but just relaxing. Took dgs to school. Then watched Ash Wednesday mass online. I will continue no Facebook (32 days without it so far), daily prayer time, and avoiding negativity. Day of fasting so no cooking today
Internet guy coming today. I was unable to get the problem fixed over the phone yesterday.
trimmed bichons fur a little. Been over a year since groomer, it’s time for professional.
Dh Picked up part time job. He used to do respite care in our home but since pandemic started the young man he use to watch stays home with his family.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Warmer today, out of the negative. More snow falling. So far about an inch. Very light snow right now. Looks pretty. Birds are on the feeder. Bil's cat caught two birds yesterday. One she took home and it was still alive. Bil had to put it out of it's misery and the cat went nuts looking for it. Must have come back for another. There was a dead one on the deck. Dh put it in the trash. Cat came back later, I'm sure she was looking for that bird. Dogs don't like her. Sometimes I think she comes around so the dogs will chase her. That's a problem, because they bark and bother the neighbor. Can't win. We've gone through a lot of bird seed, but that's okay. I love watching the birds. Just need to find a way for the cat to stay away.

Didn't go look at dryers last night. Decided to limp along a bit longer. It works, just takes longer in cold weather. If I keep to my smaller loads, it will be fine. The towels and dh's sweats take the longest to dry. We really want to put up a wood fence, because of the pool. We can use the dryer money for that. If the dryer dies tomorrow, I'll just go get a new one. But I think it will keep going for a few more years.

Went to visit dgds. Took them some candy. Oldest asked for chocolate and two bags of lollipops. They will come over tonight for a little bit while mom and dad go out to eat. I'll get the girls some taco bell. That's one of their favorites. Youngest is getting picky. She just wants to eat popsicles and ice cream. Oldest is getting a shot today at the doctor. Mom said she'd need some extra love tonight. How about you give her that extra love? That's okay. Grandma is fine with it. Means more snuggles. They are growing up too fast.

May try to do some laundry. I'll have to see if we are still under a conserve order. I haven't heard of them doing any blackouts today. They said on the news not to call them blackouts. Then what are they? Not sure if I"ll go anywhere today except for the tacos. Need to get the corned beef in the crockpot. Dh can eat that if he wants. I think there is still a little bacon left.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I have been lucky so for except the little time i was out of water Sun. morning i have had water and electric.Still snowing biggest snow i have seen in several years.I fill sorry for the people who has no power and heat.It is suppose stop her today or tonight and start warming up some by Friday.Hope everyone can stay warm and healthy.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Internet fixed by modem replacement. Hoping no fee charged since it was rented equipment that was problem. Got out for walk with son and his girlfriends 3 year old twins. Life at work is going to be different, DON quit, brand new administrator, agency nurses, daily changes in CDC recommendations. I will do my best and try not to worry about the rest.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Good morning. GB I hope you get your water back soon, frozen pipes?
Moved 1 load of brother's stuff yesterday. He tried to talk himself out of doing it but I kept saying the weather is decent and we can do the other stuff when it is raining. 11 concrete steps up to carry stuff into his house, better when not wet or icy. Sleeting here now and Friday. We should get better weather starting Tuesday. Brought home more wooden folding tray tables and their wooden holder/rack. Good for maximizing outdoor living space and don't require much space to store. I think hubby plans to make lasagne tonight.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Dlr, folding tray tables are handy. Good find. Glad you were able to convince brother to move his stuff.

KimB, hope work settles down soon. Changes can be frustrating and worrisome.

It continues to be cold, but double digits at least today. It's sunny so we should see the snow start to evaporate.

The fritatta I got out for dinner last night turned out to be two small muffin-sized patties (for breakfast sandwiches), not at all what I was expecting. I need to pay more attention to the box next time. Made grilled turkey and cheese sandwiches to go with our soup. That's it for the bread, it is turning green. I cut the crust off last night but the rest is too far gone. DH is out of milk. I may run to Aldi if my car thaws out this afternoon.

Chicken in black bean sauce, with veggies and rice for supper. Time to figure out next week's menu plan. I'm dying for a big green salad and an 80 degree day to go with it.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Still cold, but the sun is shining. I think we're done with snow for a while. Supposed to warm up next week. No more planned outages, but still asking us to conserve. The only lights I use during the day are the bathroom and basement. Was naughty and did a load of laundry yesterday. Sorry, I needed some warm clothes. Sides streets are still snow packed. Main roads are okay. Not sure when trash will be picked up. Last week they said they were on a delayed schedule. Didn't put it out. Saw the truck go down the street. Ran out and put mine out. They were coming the other direction. Came back and picked mine up. Set it out today. Don't know if it will be picked up.

CH - wait a week or two on the salad. I think it's supposed to be close to 50 in the next week or so. 😜

Paying bills today and going to start our taxes. Forgot to buy Turbo Tax. Now the price is $10 more. Oh well. I'll finish my grocery list. Need more bird seed. Hope I can get it. Need to wash one of the dog beds. Fil's dog threw up in her bed.

Dgd has been using her phone a lot. She texted a lot yesterday. Mostly emojis. She's funny. Then called papa really early this morning. Then called me. Her and sissy were awake, Mommy and Daddy were still asleep. We talked for 40 minutes and then she texted some more. That's why we gave it to her. So she can call when she needs to and not wait to use someone else's phone. We set up specific ring tones for us. If we call, they know it's us calling.

Not sure about dinner. I'll see what I can dig out of the freezer.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Electricity is on and staying on, but no water on the kitchen/ laundry room side. Been washing dishes in the bathroom. DH hooked up some kind of hoses from our bathroom to the washing machine and been doing laundry all day. We don’t have to boil water like some. This too shall pass. My DS in Austin used fritos as fuel for cooking.

321 - 340 of 412 Posts