Frugal Village Forums banner

581 - 600 of 614 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Happy Easter! 🐇

Martha- That's a sweet Easter box (pun intended) ! If the kid in your ds's class is positive, the school should be calling parents or sending emails and what they want to have the students do about it. Here, the desks are now 3 ft apart instead of 6 ft. The homeroom class is quite short and a student told me that if someone has the virus and is in a homeroom, the other students will not be notified. Only students who spend a hour with the infected student will be notified. Weird, right?

DH purchased sausages and a ham and may have canned potatoes and mixed veg.

We had planned a trip in August 2020 and it was cancelled. I purchased travel insurance and the company emailed me a voucher for it and it has to be used by the end of May. I contacted the company by email to tell them I want to use the voucher. They don't have a record of it. I sent them the code for the voucher and they said they would look into it when they get a chance but they don't know when that will be (?!). They had the time to email me but no time to look into this....I told DH that he will have to contact his CC and get a refund. I have the emails and if the company doesn't want to allow me to use the voucher, then let the CC do an investigation and give a refund.

It was a gorgeous day today and I tried to clean up the rock garden since dead leaves and grass have gone haywire. I planted asiatic lilies and small lilies (8 total) as well as 3 lily of the valley. The crocus are above ground and the leaves of the tulips are up. It's a start. Cooler weather coming back- 50's and 30's temps.

I cleaned out a dresser drawer and under the bathroom sink. I vacuumed and did touch up painting in the bedrooms.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Good morning. Hubby and I feeling a little achy after 2nd vaccine shot yesterday but not too bad. Glad we are staying home today. Cake is in the oven, the rest is not fussy. Warming up a bit, hope I can move plants outdoors soon. Half way through Grisham book. Have a nice Easter.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Adorable egg and candy tray, M! Hope everyone has a lovely day. It's sunny and getting warm. DH says his arm still hurts but he's going to try and mow the yard. Yes, it needs it already, especially out back. I've got more painting on the deck to do. Great day to be outdoors. Need to put the sprinkler on the lettuce and radishes, too.

Cat not feeling well again. Threw up yesterday and hasn't eaten or pooped since. Will call the vet tomorrow. She seems ok, but tired. Not crying or anything, just wants to be left alone. Tried making her some chicken flavored rice last night but she won't even try it.

Leftovers or turkey sandwiches for lunch, take-out gyros and salad for dinner.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
It's going to be a beautiful day. Sun is shining. Unfortunately, I'm in terrible pain. Not sure what I did to my shoulder/arm. I can't move it without shooting pain throughout. Really need to clean the kitchen. Didn't get it done yesterday. the girls came over last night and the youngest wanted to take a bath in the sink. She loves it. So the dishes got piled on the counter and then the pain really started. Will try to get to it today. Need to drop a package in the mail for ds. Trying to help him get his vehicles ready for storage while he's gone. Wish we were there to help him. I know he's overwhelmed.

Neighbor came over yesterday and asked for a ride to starbucks. Dh drove us. I don't think she was happy about that. Too bad. I told her in about 20 minutes. We were finishing dinner and I guess we took too long and she was back ringing the doorbell. Next time, I won't answer. Trying to be nice, but don't expect me to drop everything right then.

Need to do more laundry, but not sure if it will get done anytime soon. I need to figure out what's up with my arm. Dinner tonight will be salad with leftover ham.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Good evening.

I’ve paid off my student loan two years in advance 😃 Baked cinnamon rolls, vacuumed and ran dishwasher today.

I’ve bought this sofa bed in dark gray on sale and get it tomorrow morning. Paid extra for the delivery guys to get rid of my old sofa bed and consider it money well spend. Gonna visit my mom tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Gloomy today.
M love the candy tray. Bet the kids loved it...
CH hope the kitty feels better....
Jetts hope your shoulder feels better and it's not serious....WOW...wanting a ride to Starbucks....that's a new one....that was sweet of you and husband to take her.....not sure I would be that nice...LOL...I'm old and grouchy....
Tine congrats on paying off loan early....that takes commitment....Sofa is very nice....
rujerro don't you hate cleaning those dresser drawers....you find all kinds of things....LOL

Probably will make scallop potatoes and ham for dinner....threw a ham in crockpot yesterday....baked a couple of sweet potatoes and had broccoli....easy and it was just the two of us.......son stopped by yesterday and picked up his birthday gift...visited for a bit....he is still getting his Dad's estate settled....I think he is overwhelmed....poor guy was almost in tears......apartment wants him to pay for the rest of the lease...which isn't going happen....told him to ignore it and if they want to sue the estate they can...it was a crap apartment so we will see how that pans out....hopefully they won't....there's no money....
Got the guest room done....finally.....
Got to drop off some more stuff I'm donating to women's shelter....and I think that will be it for awhile....it's amazing the crap I have....all good but since we don't entertain anymore no sense in keeping it....I doubt the homeless lunches will start up anytime soon.....I did keep some tablecloths but gave most away.....
Hope everyone has a great week.....stay safe....

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Sunny today but haven't had a chance to enjoy it. Woke up early with a migraine, went back to bed for a couple hours. Cat has an appt for later this afternoon. She had a little water but no food and not having any success in the litter box.

Planning to make Italian Wedding Soup meatballs. Had the chicken out yesterday to thaw, got ingredients chopped up.... chicken turns out to be bacon wrapped cutlets. Well, at least I know what dinner tonight is going to be. Found some ground pork in the freezer and it is thawing in a bowl of water. No time left this afternoon, will have to do them after dinner.

BW, I bet your new guest room looks really nice. Congrats on getting it cleaned out and redecorated! Your ham and potato dinner sounds yummy.

Jetts, sorry to hear about the shoulder, BTDT too many times. Going through physical therapy for that right now. Take it easy, no reaching or lifting, put ice on it, take a tylenol or whatever works for you. Try some shoulder rolls or this pendulum stretch: 7 stretching & strengthening exercises for a frozen shoulder - Harvard Health. I would not do any of the others at this point. Have someone massage it if you can.

Tine, congrats on getting that loan paid! Hope your new sofa bed is comfy.

·
Super Moderator
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #590
Made muffins and oatmeal cookies yesterday. Friend came over for a walk and then we had tea and cookies. I need to start baking more from scratch instead of picking up day-old muffins at the food shelf. I picked up a 5 lb bag of King Arthur flour that they were throwing out cause it had a little tear. Now I have a lot of flour.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I had 2 quarts of cabbage that didn't seal so I used them when I made vegetable soup - 1/2 tomato juice (garden), 2 quarts green beans, (garden) 2 quarts carrots, 1/2 pint dehydrated peas (garden), 3 quart freezer bags of corn, 2 cups frozen lima beans (garden), celery (garden), potatoes, and lo fried ground meat from the freezer. Gave 2 quarts of soup to my neighbor.

When I was digging in the freezer for soup veggies I saws 3 bags of green beans. The ex like his frozen, I hate them frozen so I fed them to th echickens.

I marked a lot off of my "to-do" list. Paid a medical bill, property taxes, swept, mopped, cleaned toiles, washed 15 plastic baggies, filed my taxes yesterday and I was pleasantly shocked that I only owed $1957. The ex cashed in his ROTH account so I had to pay the taxes and penalty (part of the divorce).

Electric bill was in the mail today. I thought last month of $130 was good,,,well hold on to your hat. This months bill is $92.21!!! That's almost half of what it was when there were 3 of us living here, now there's only 2 of us. Amazing!!

I spent $80ish on a solar sensor for the driveway. I love it!!! Wish I would have bought one sooner. The sensor is solar and mounted to a wood post that's halfway down the driveway. The speaker that's in the house can be unplugged and taken with me if I'm out weeding the garden or something. It has a range of 1/2 mile to the sensor.

Picked the first 2 heads of broccoli from the garden. My other mamma goat finally had a baby and it's a boy.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Another beautiful day. Storms coming in tonight. Dh tried to take the day off to work on the fence, but got called in. He'll be home soon and his brother will be home too and they'll be able to finish.

Shoulder is better. Put ice on it last night and took some Aleve. I moved sometime in the night and the pain was horrible, but doesn't hurt near as bad as yesterday. I did some range of motion exercises yesterday. Seemed to help. Need to do them again today. I have an old dvd from the arthritis foundation. Some good stretching and movement. Very easy to do.

I'll try to get another load of laundry going. Have two to fold and put away. Dishes from last night. Dgds came over last night. Oldest spent the night. She made a card for me this morning, asking how my arm was. Also made a book to show me how to plant a garden. Need to plant some flowers I got this weekend. Got some creeping phlox. Front bed looks better this year so far. Found a tulip that grew through a bag of mulch. Looking for some red, white and blue flowers for a couple of new pots I got. Looking for some patriotic type decorations too. I guess it makes me feel better with ds leaving soon.

Not sure about dinner tonight. May go get something with bil. We've taken him out to eat for his help with fence.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Cooler and cloudy this morning but still sunny and looks like another 80* day ahead. Going to run some errands and do a light grocery shop before getting shot #2. Need cat food and vegetables.

Jo, the free flour sounds nice. Bags at the store get torn all the time, why throw it out when a piece of tape fixes it. Have fun baking.

LL, you've been busy. Nice job on the electric bill. Hope your baby goat is strong and healthy. Are you going to keep it or sell it?

Not sure about dinner, haven't made a menu plan for this week. Have chicken grillers left from last night since I stopped to get a pizza. Leftover pizza, too. Made meatballs for soup...maybe tomorrow or Thurs since it is supposed to get colder. Not sure how tired the vaccine is going to make me.

Hope everyone has a great day.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Weather was sunny and windy. Then it got dark. It sleeted. Then it snowed. Glad we got home before the sleet.
Jetts- Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I hope it isn't serious.
LivinLarge- The sensor sounds very useful. Glad the baby goat arrived and I bet he's cute. Good job on the electric bill and filing all the taxes and bills.
Tine- Congrats on paying off the loan and getting a new sofa!😎
Contrary Housewife- What's in the wedding meatballs? I'd love to make them and simmer in chicken broth...With the snow today, they sound really good!

DH paid bills today. We went out a bit to do that and to the gym. I've got laundry going and will walk/bike a bit while listening to podcasts.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Jett - glad your shoulder is doing a little better.

CH - It is strong and healthy. I decided I'll keep the males, band them at 1 month then butcher @9 months. I'm going to sell any baby girls.

Tine - Congratulations on paying off the loan - very liberating!

I'm super excited! My brother and sister are coming to visit for a week, arriving the evening of April 16th. So far the only things I have planned is a crawfish boil and an air boat tour through the swamp. Need to come up with a few more "Southern" things to do.....I'm hoping we can forage mushrooms but I'm not sure if its been warm enough for the chanterelles.

I have a mamma turkey sitting on some eggs. Last year was her first try and she had no success. I hope this year is different.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Cool and wet here this morning. Had rain overnight. Everything is turning green. Feeling a bit tired and achy from the shot. No plans beyond breakfast.

Rujerro, I'm using this recipe, Italian Wedding Soup - The Cozy Cook It gets its name from the blending or "marriage" of flavors. It calls for beef and pork but you can use whatever you have. I got 40 meatballs from the recipe, made them a little smaller than called for I think. I don't have the acini de pepe, it will be tiny stars in my soup. :) Any small pasta or even rice will work.

LL, crawfish and a swamp boat ride sound like fun. You can scare them with alligator stories. Or ghost stories. Any southern mansions in your area that they can tour?

Tuna salad sandwiches and leftovers for dinner.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
We did get some rain. Dh is thinking he'll go get the posts and start the fence down the one side of the yard. He used a chain link fence post for the neighbor's portion of the fence. It was so much easier than the 4 x 4 wooden posts. But ds had dug all the holes, so we felt we should do that, at least for the holes that were there. It costs more to do the metal posts, but will be a lot easier for us. Dh will still dig a small hole to set them in concrete. So far, we are under budget and it will be more under once we get the rebates back from menards. Still need to finish the gates. The next thing will probably be to set up the pool. Dgd talks about it all the time. She keeps asking how long until May.

Shoulder/arm is feeling better. I actually slept on that side for a little bit last night. Haven't been able to do that for weeks. I got a new wrist brace. This one has vinyl on it instead of fabric and is stiffer. Need to break it in. Finished ds' taxes yesterday. He'll be gone before the refunds come. Tried to fold laundry, but reached up to put something away and it hurt, so I stopped. Will try again today. Dh got to see his dad yesterday. A new bed was being delivered and no one around to let them in. Dh and his brother went down. Then the sister that lives next door came home and wouldn't get out of the car until they were gone. 3 of us live on the same street. I hope those sisters don't say anything, because they'll get chewed out.

Not sure what we'll eat today. I could make some ham and bean soup with the leftover ham and bone. Maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Helped hubby shift remaining logs, he used the chain saw to get things to manageable size. Still a few to split later. Skinned up my shin in the process. Was thinking about shorts but guess that will be a month out. Got my sandals out, moved some plants outside. Made ham/potato/cheese casserole last night, thawing ground beef to make something tonight.
Yesterday took the dog to a nearby park famous for Virginia bluebells blooming. They prefer swampy environment along side creeks. It was a nice outing. Not crowded but enough other people and families to feel safe. There was a group of people with easels set up painting. I went rather early which was good, as it warmed up the bees came out to visit the flowers.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
congrats Tine!! thanks everyone! not much left of that tray of goodies. did hit up the after sales to stock up the bin for next year. no need for desserts with all the candy. That is great LL! hope your shoulder gets better soon jett. does heat or ice help some?

had some beautiful days and pouring rain today. alarm system had to be upgraded now touchscreen and talks when door is open ..pictures of scenery scroll by cus buttons are so passe ..no choice about the upgrade. that and the thermostat that lights up why? even gadget happy dh is not really impressed and he deals w a lot of tech at work. kids are voice sucks just beeps are fine. vet didn't phone about cat. clinic said he needed to phone if it was about putting cat under for something. was well you can not do it but then when she rips you apart not my problem like touch her paw she bites. but not from us her previous owners. she is beating up on the 2 other cats. gets in trouble every time but still does.
my tooth chipped eating chocolate on sunday.. so need to deal with that too.

worked today and yesterday and spent $165 on groceries and didn't even buy coffee or meat. just lunch stuff, fruit and veg, dairy, 3 blocks of cheese on sale, tp, bread, dry cat food etc. betty cocker scalloped potatoes 3 boxes for $5 so thought why not. now that the rest of the family will eat them and I can't be bothered to make them from scratch.
still working on the ham from sunday so will have to cut it up and freeze some. though I defrosted a mystery package the day before sunday and turned out to be xmas ham. well the crows liked it lol. was fine just since I was making another one.. other mystery was chili which is tomorrows dinner.

581 - 600 of 614 Posts