Frugal Village Forums banner

661 - 680 of 759 Posts

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
People don't seem to be interested in clubs any more,
That's a common dilemma. I know my quilt group is always looking for new folks, and I was chatting online last week with someone in another hobby group about ways to attract and keep members. It seems to me that young folks now have more entertainment options than ever coupled with less desire to commit. People are working longer hours and want to "turn off" when they are done with work, not actively engage with more people. COVID has left everyone stressed and numb. I don't have any good solutions to those problems, but I have found that advertising the heck out of your events and getting the word out does draw more people. I've seen too many groups who only pass word among group members, they don't put posters up or get the event info out to the general public, and I only find out about their events afterward when photos go up on FB.

Anyway.... cold but sunny today. Chance of rain later. DH helped me get the outdoor temperature gauge working again. Not sure what the plan is today. Want to do some sewing, need to find something in the basement and there's still too many unpacked boxes just sitting. Not like it was before, but it could be better. DH hasn't any time to deal with it, but it's his stuff.

Jo, hope your snow melts quickly.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Sunny and a little warmer today. The last night dh has to work late for a while. The overtime is good though. Saving to get a new chair. Mine is breaking. Has been for a while now, but getting worse. This time I'm getting a wider chair. Dgd still likes to sit with me.

I think I figured out how to do the masks. Going to try one and see if it fits. If it doesn't I'll just scrap the ones I cut out and start over. I'm experimenting on one that I have plenty of fabric. It's dgd's favorite mask and thought I'd make her a few more in case she loses it. Things get lost at her house all the time. They just can't put things away. Didn't get as much done this week. I had all these plans to do things while dh was working, but found I was feeling more depressed than anything. Got out yesterday and got some food. It was good to get out of the house. Target had the toothpaste the dentist recommended with a coupon, so I ran in there to get it. It's usually $6.xx. Target had a $3 coupon, but you had to actually go in the store to use it. The toothpaste was $4.xx, so after coupon it was $1.29. Couldn't pass that one up.

Going to go to a grocery store for bread and apples and bananas and ramen noodles. Dgd is on a ramen kick. That's one thing she'll eat a lot of. Then to walmart market for some other things. The pick up times are too late, so I'll just go in and get the stuff. I don't have much, so it will be quick.

Not sure if I'll cook tonight or just get something for myself.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
A cold front is coming in. Getting cold....they are talking about storms with hail and thunderstorms....and tornados....great....glad I have my electric blanket on my bed....

My doctor appt. went well on Wednesday..... I really like this guy....he was very nice and I don't have to go back to him unless I want a sleep study or have problems....my oncologist is keeping track of things and since I see my RA dr. and have blood work done every three months he thinks I'll be okay...and my new Primary seems to be on top of things too so lets hope between all of them they can keep me healthy......and alive....

Good deal on the toothpaste Jetts....I haven't been to Target in about two years....I use to get my scripts there but then insurance said I couldn't use them anymore so I haven't been back....I really like their dollar spot...use to get some great deals there.....

Neighbor came over and cleaned the kitchen and dusted for me...the house is clean.....I made WW soup today for my sister and froze it in small portions...also made WW bagels....I had that for dinner....both were good...

Well my FREE meds were suppose to be here by 8 tonite...It's 10:30 PM and no meds....they were shipped on Tuesday so I am hoping they will still be cold when I get them....They have a device that will show if it got too warm....I know I have to be nice to them since they are helping me by giving me these meds for nothing but I was hoping it would be stress free but it's not to be I guess...should have known when I filled the paperwork....I mailed it in and it was probably six inches thick.........I hate waiting around all day and then NOTHING....
Have to have covid test done before my procedure so got that set up today.....
I am happy with my charge 4. Does everything I want and need.....I was so mad Tuesday...I missed my 5000 steps by 3 steps!!!!!
Hope everyone is well, staying safe and being happy.....

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Peg- I hope your meds arrive soon. This weather is crazy. Our heat kicks in since we've had snow and sleet. My electric blanket is still on my bed too. This is a very long winter....

Jetts- When my kids were toddlers and elementary school aged, we would sit in a glider but it was getting too small for 3 of us. I found a 4 ft glider and still have it.

We took a trip and weather was lovely. It wasn't frugal by a long shot. Well, the hotel was a great price but I guess I've never noticed a tax on resort fees or tax on doing a late check out. I think it should be called "money grab" instead of a tax. I calculated the cost of the room after taking out the taxes/fees- $12.50 a night! It reminds me of our water bill- the fees come to $100 before we use any water.....

I have to buy a few things at the market- bananas and things for dinner as nothing is thawed. And I'm not sure what to make. There's always frozen dinners or pasta.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Good morning, still cold here. My back has bothered me for several days after yard work Mon-Tues. Should stay off the computer because sitting is not helping. Work on decluttering closets today. There is leftover meatloaf but if hubby wants to shop and cook something different for supper, he can do that. When I went to CVS Wednesday to spend my $1 Extrabuck (granola bars) it printed ANOTHER coupon with $2 Extrabucks. I have no idea why it's doing that but will go back next week and spend it. ;) Have a good weekend.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Peg - that's frustrating with the meds. I get all of ours through mail order. Never know when they'll get here. The only one I don't get there is dh's nitroglycerin, since it's heat/cold sensitive. I pay the extra at the pharmacy for that one.

I really wish the stores had more of the larger chairs on display. I don't want to order one and then need to return it. There are a couple of smaller furniture stores around here, maybe I'll go look there sometime. We had a recliner once that I hated. The head was so large, it made my head go forward too much. Not comfortable at all. The only way to enjoy it was to fully recline. I also want a power one this time. I don't like the new pull things to recline. I just don't see them lasting like the old handle ones.

Picked up dgd last night for a smoothie. She's so different when we haven't seen her for a while. She said her throat hurt. That's the last thing we need. Mom has been easing up on letting her do things. She went to her cousins a few days ago and to a dance class.

Dh put in an order through amazon with whole foods. What we got wasn't bad. I guess that's another option for not going into a store anymore. Prices are a little higher than I like. Not sure what dh wanted to do that. He must have talked to someone at work.

Dgd is spending the night. She invited herself for dinner on Sunday. I told her we were having turkey. She said "bleh". She's not a meat eater. She asked if she could have rice. We'll have some stuffing too. She likes that. And she asked for green beans, broccoli and grapes. I heard mom in the background say she'd better eat it.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Grey and cool today, might be rain later. I don't know what's in the air but it's making my eyes itch.

Hope your meds come BW I've had that happen, too. They want me to sign for it, and I hate waiting all day only to get an email at 10pm saying it'll come the following day. The last one they delivered a day early, and of course I was not home because I had set the date for a day I would be in.

Rujerro, glad you had a chance to get away for a bit. I really want a vacation.

Not much going on here today. Keeping an eye on the cat. She ate yesterday and then tossed it up. She's eaten today and I hope it stays down. Vet visit in a couple hours. Will probably stop for fresh vegs while I'm out. We don't need much else.

Got stew out of the freezer for dinner. Will make some cheesy biscuits to go with it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It's 5:30 and no meds....we are talking 30 thousand dollars worth of meds.....This is the first time getting them thru this assistant program I am in....when I applied, it took them less a day to approve me....I thought they were on the ball but this is stressing me out....I will be calling them Monday morning and if I ever get them, and they aren't at the temp needed, (there is a dot on the box that will change colors) they will be getting them back.....I do a shot every other week so they have a week to get this straight.....STRESSFUL!!!
Take out pizza for dinner.....

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
That's terrible, BW. Hope it wasn't lost or stolen.

The cat is back home and doing well. She was cleaned out and fixed up. Still walking funny but much more energy now. She has a condition that will require medication now.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Peg- I hope they deliver over the weekend. I'd give them an ear full.
CH- Poor kitty. I'm glad she's better now.
Jetts- Is there a La-z-Boy store near you? They're having a sale and their website will ship....They have recliners with the big handle on the side. When we finished part of our basement, DH wanted a recliner. We have a La-z-boy store nearby and got a brown velour sectional with recliners on each end and a separate rocker recliner. We've had them for 10 years now.

We have 2 people looking at the rental today. Our other rental told me that she is moving in with her boyfriend so we'll need to find someone for that. I told DH to sell but he got quiet. He said when we retire, we can sell. Right...We won't retire for at least 13 years.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Good morning. I think it will be warmer today. We are going out for a bit and walk the dog around the perimeter of a botanical garden. Dogs not allowed inside (I can understand why) but there is a trail around half the perimeter of the park. Maybe we will be able to see something interesting, it is not too long. Moved some stuff around in closets and cabinets yesterday, more to do. Have a good day.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Sunny and warming up today. Plan is to do an online chat with friends this afternoon. We haven't in a long time. I miss our group potluck dinners. It's been over a year since we've seen most of our friends.

It's supposed to be dry for a few days so I want to get more painting done. Getting close to the end.

Dlr, enjoy your walk. Hope it is interesting.

Will get chili out of the freezer for dinner, and make cornbread muffins. Picked up a couple vegetables yesterday while I was out, and need to plan out next week's meals. It's going to be much warmer than this past week was.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Meds were delivered at 7:50 PM last night....I was surprised that they were still at the temp they needed to be at....Thank God!!! They shipped at 8 AM on Tuesday so were on ice for four days....even the ice packs were still frozen...the box was well insulated....told husband to keep that box...LOL....Very stressful situation but so glad it's over. Hopefully it won't be like this every time I order...

Beautiful day here...81 degrees....going to Kroger's to pick up a few things.....neighbor wants to buy a small reezer so husband ordered it for her from Home Depot and they will let us know what time to pick up....

I got some space bags and packed some throws I had for my cousins so my sister can take back....got six throws, a sleeping bag and a few other things squeezed down to one small bag.....those space bags are amazing....years ago we took a car load of supplies to the Indian reservation in SD and I poked a hole in toilet paper packs and I was able to pack a large number of rolls into almost no space....that trip we looked like the Beverly Hillbillies....we had our SUV packed full and a car carrier on top....but it was a fun trip. I think that was our second trip out there....I helped a family there for a few years....on our first trip there she had the grandkids living with her and the little boy was about six....he asked me if I had any juice as they ran out of juice that day.....I had no idea if I had juice in the boxes but told him if not his grandmother would let me know and when I got home I would send him some....cute kids....they were so excited....they told me it was even better then Christmas....kids are all grown now and I still hear from the grandmother once in a while....I stopped helping when I retired ten years ago. It was rewarding and good for my soul when I was doing it....

I picked up lots of underwear for my shoeboxes at an auction...over 100 pairs. Will pair with the dresses I have and I have plenty of socks and shoes....I am going have to rethink this next year as I am running out of room. The underwear and a few outfits I picked up filled one tote....it doesn't take long.

Going to run to Kroger's. They have the big boxes of Cheerios for $1.99 and I can get five. Will be good for my food pantry donation. And they have water for $1.99. We usually get it at another store for $1.99 and we get 10 at time....but haven't hit a sale lately and I am down to my last case....we go thru about a case every other week.

Ch glad your kitty is feeling better....

rujerro we are in the market for new recliner too...going have husband look at their site. I have a lazy boy I picked up on a local neighborhood site about seven years ago....it was the first thing I ever purchased on these local sites...it was in great condition and still is but husband has a barrel chair now and he decided he is old enough to get a recliner...LOL...so we will be getting two new ones....will give my recliner to one of the kids or the neighbor next door.
There is always someone who can use it....

I hope everyone is having a good day...hope it's warming up for you'all and stay safe and stay healthy.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Walk yesterday was kind of a bust. Asked someone along the trail if it was possible to make a loop around the park instead of doubling back, were told yes. But much turned out to be walking through housing subdivision that did not even have sidewalks. So probably won't do that again or recommend to anyone else. I am sure the dog enjoyed it. Still working on decluttering and paper sort & shred today.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I pvr'd Oscar stuff and watch and skip though so doing that now much faster. did the no internet thing so ds is out weeding the maple seedlings. got dd to make a italian cake mix and have a chicken w veggies in the oven for dinner. using up stuff from freezer and fridge. will make stovetop stuffing. did library and grocery shop w my mom yesterday so stocked up for the next bit. got the veggie fruit deals I wanted like oranges .99 a lb.

was raining but sun is out now so why weeding easier to get them out. laundry.. kids going to kill my appliances.. yes I know they are normal but still lol. did the self clean oven thing other day cus got tired of whatever smelt everytime it was on and it wasn't that dirty. we went to a museuim ..someone doing magic tricks there so that was fun. something different ..you had to book times so not many people. couple stores out that way and krispy kreme donuts too lol beans and weiners for easy meal last night.

got taxes sent off to accountant plus we finally did our ancestry dna tests which dh got bogo for xmas. actually takes more saliva then you think..they say it is 1/4 teaspoon nope a lot more. so hopefully makes it way without getting lost in this covid times mail. making a meal plan for the next few days too. stuff that needs using up while it is cool enough to use the oven.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Good morning, more paper sorting and shredding on the agenda today. I will probably make one of the Bear Creek soup mixes for supper, add extra potato and cheese. Dog club friend coming tomorrow, I need to do a bit of house- and yard- work. Fortunately my back is feeling better. I did the recommended exercises a couple of times yesterday, need to keep at it. I hope everyone is well.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Should be a nice day, but windy. Got a lot of work done in the yard this weekend. Got my strawberries moved, planted my flower boxes. Need to plant some lettuce and start looking for a tomato plant. Neighbor came over saturday wanting a ride to dollar general. Lucky for her, I already had a trip planned. Picked up some potting soil. Need to get some more fencing materials. We really need to do the side of this neighbor. Our dogs run out and bark if anyone is out there. The boy across the street has taught the girl to get a stick and poke the dogs. That boy is a mean one. I'd hate to have to chase him with a switch. I think we'll be able to do half the fence and be okay for now. Their shed is there and it's really close to the property line, so no one go really go behind it. I have the back half of the yard blocked off so the dogs can't go behind my shed.

Dgds are both sick. Now I'm feeling a little sick. Ds is sick too. I guess that's what happens when you isolate yourselves for a year and then all of a sudden start doing things. Tumbling class, dance class, visit cousins, all within a couple of days. Now they are all sick. Thanks, but no thanks. I really don't want to be sick right now. My back is achy and I have chills, can just tell it's coming. Been taking extra vit C and ecchinacea and elderberry, but I think it's too late. Hopefully it will be over quickly.

Probably won't do much today. I have a sams club order to pick up later and some library books when they all come in. I need to stop at joanns and get some thread. Dh needs a pair of pants mended and I'm out of black thread. But I really don't feel like doing anything. Dinner will just be leftover turkey.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Have garden work to do today, too. Going to have one or two nice days before the rain is back. Wanted to spray the poison ivy (wish that stuff would just die) but it's too windy. It comes up in ONE spot in the iris bed. I bought some plants just before the cold snap and need to get them planted now. Two of the coleus I put in a pot did not do well when it snowed. Want to go to the nursery and get some herbs and a couple tomatoes.

DH and I had dinner out at a restaurant last night. Not fancy, but nice to be out doing normal things. Going to grill hot dogs and toss a salad for dinner tonight.

Jetts, hope it is nothing serious and y'all recover quickly.

Dlr, hope you feel better too, and get all your paper taken care of.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
ugh jett that sucks.. downside to little kids. one of my fb memories today was from 4 yrs ago..thought I avoided the spring cold season but no... or as my mom says didn't have a cold for 10yrs and then you had kids. that is what I tell parents of young kids that teens are great cus they don't hang over you when sick anymore and can barf in the toilet lol.

sunny today but not doing paid work, just puttering and cleaning. dropped something and had to look under the bed etc well cat hair and dust balls to deal with. defrosting shrimp for stirfry tonight. a bit frost bitten but should be ok. opened door to throw out some bird seed and the crows appeared on the railing just a few feet away..their subtle hey it is late and I am hungry lol so they go leftover baked beans and the chicken bones from last night.

found a pack of flower seeds from xmas (part of a gift) so need to think about where to plant them. and just backyard in general.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Been a busy expensive couple of weeks. I had family in for a week and they left this past Friday. I'm exhausted but had a great time! I put on a crawfish boil and invited co-workers so my brother and sister could try crawfish and crab legs in a boil. We also had oysters - raw and "jacked up" - pepper jack cheese, garlic, butter, jalapeno and bacon, put that on the oyster that's still on the half shell and cook over an open flame, like a grill. Delicious!! We also spent a day in the bayou and a day exploring plantations. Now back to the quiet frugal life.

The creole tomato plants I grow get HUGE and regular flimsy tomato cages don't work. I looked into buying "heavy duty" cages at 3 for $100 but need enough for 18 plants....$600. Not going to happen! My brother suggested cow panels. 1/4" wire, 16 foot long by 50 inches tall. I needed 12 at $25 each, $300 and I had a 10% off coupon. My friends husband took me to the store to get them but when they were loading the panels they bent 3 and in return gave me 3 replacement panels. I can walk on the panels and get the bends out. I saw that the employee at the store was throwing some wire away that was used to bundle the panels. I asked if I could have it and he told me I could have all I want as they just throw it away. I took 6, enough to do my garden project. I ended up with 15 panels and some tie wire for $270. I am putting one panel on each side of the row of tomatoes about 9" from the plant. I am removing posts and barbed wire from where I don't want it, putting it in the garden for the tomato panels and using the free tie wire to wire the panels to the posts. To keep the tomatoes from falling over in the row I'm using sticks in the squares of the panels.

My freeze dryer finally arrived last week Thursday!!! My first batch was 3 containers of sour cream that was getting old, lo spaghetti and shredded cheese that was getting old. I just put in my second batch - broccoli from the garden, mushrooms that were needing used/froze/dehydrated, hm ricotta cheese and lo goulash. I'm super excited to be able to get items out of the freezer.
My mamma turkey ended up with one baby out of 13 eggs because I have no experience with turkeys. I had no idea that the tom would stomp the babies and "lost" 6 because of that. 😭

The blackberries are in full bloom and they are everywhere!!! Can't wait for them to be ready in a month. I need to finish planting the garden - melons and such. Maybe next weekend. I have too many things on my to do list and not enough time to get them all done. lol

661 - 680 of 759 Posts