Frugal Village Forums banner

681 - 700 of 759 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Wow LL you are busy.
Dog club friend coming over today. Probably picking up my "new" (2nd) dog on Saturday. Need to rearrange furniture and storage to make space, figure out sleeping and eating arrangements. Fortunately only a couple chances of rain for the next 10 days, we can spend a lot of time outside if needed. Got a lot of shredding done yesterday and cleaned up some bookshelves, washed 2 windows. The Bear Creek soup mix was good (cheddar broccoli), I boiled potatoes in the water first until they were cooked, then the mix.
I saw some yellow azaleas in a yard this morning. I think those would mix nicely with the pink ones I have. I wonder if they are available locally. I hope everyone has a good day.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
LL, you got a good deal with the extra panels and free tie wires. That must be some garden. Hope your blackberry harvest is a good one.

Dlr, hope the transition with the new dog goes smoothly and they get along well.

Today should be gym day but if I go I won't have time or energy for the garden. Have a lot to do today, weeding, clearing debris, and of course planting. Rewarding myself with pizza for lunch. Want to stop on the way back and get some more of the chicken that is 1.88/lb this week. DH likes chicken sandwiches and the fast food places make them too spicy. Also, we're out of hot dogs. I used to pick up a pack or two every time they were on sale, but last year I didn't buy any because for a while there weren't any, and I never saw them go on sale.... It's not a big part of our diet, but we do like them in the summer from time to time.

Cat's not taking her medicine. It's supposed to be tasteless but she won't eat anything we put it into. And she can't just eat dry kibble. Sigh. The shelves around here are half empty so I'm having a hard time even finding the flavors she likes.

Chicken (maybe sandwiches) with tomato and asparagus salad for dinner.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Cloudy and windy today. Dgd spent the night again. Sis had a doctor's appointment this morning. Ear Infection. It's ds' busiest day of the work week, so we kept her last night. Dgd woke up with a sore throat and a deep cough. Hoping it's just from sleeping with her mouth open. The cough kind of disappeared as she got going this morning. Dh didn't feel well this morning, but sat down and rested for a bit and then went into work. He'll probably come home early. Ds sounds horrible. I just hope I can stay somewhat well this time. I was going to pick up my sams club order yesterday and asked dgd if there was anything she needed. She needed some probiotics to keep here. It's a probiotic/multi vitamin. She said "that's what I'm talking about".

She seems a little behind in reading. We think she may have dyslexia. She writes everything backwards. I've read that if that is the case, she may never be on grade level. She'll learn to read, but not be very good at it. We are going to try some different things when she comes over. She's very smart and loves to learn, but reads everything backwards, like on a digital clock. 21 will be written as 12, but the numbers would be written backwards. She has a terrible time with b and d. I've done a little research and found a few things that might help.

Washed one of the trash cans this morning. May do the others tomorrow after I empty the trash. Still need to wipe down the wall in the kitchen where the can sits. May do some sewing today. I had to run into Joann yesterday to get some black thread to fix dh's pants. Since he stayed home yesterday, I was able to mend them. I wanted to look at fabric, but decided I'd better not add to my stash. I have too much already. Going to make some extra masks for the girls so they have plenty. They need extra now that they are starting dance and tumbling classes. They tend to misplace things all the time. I'll probably plant the rest of my flowers and plant some lettuce before it rains tonight and tomorrow.

Not sure what I'll do for dinner. Maybe taco Tuesday, maybe something at home. Will depend on when dh gets home, how he feels and what he wants to get done tonight.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
CH can you try baby food for the cat's medicine....
We have tried. Sometimes she eats it, sometimes not. Today I got the chicken and cheese flavor from the ONE store in my area that still has it, and two other flavors from the grocery store. Unfortunately most of the cat food shelves here look like this:

And she was fussy before we started having shortages. I don't want to, but we may resort to force feeding her the medicine mixed in water by dropper again.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Grey and potentially rainy today. Was going to putter around the house and relax, but it looks like I need to run to Aldi. I got cold cuts for DH's lunch and the bread has turned green already. Is it too much to expect it to last longer than 4 days? I am done with Mrs Baird's. It used to be a good brand but the last 3-4 mo or so I have had to throw out every loaf. The hamburger and hotdog buns and english muffins don't go bad, only the bread, and it starts in the bottom of the bag. Forgot the sliced cheese yesterday, and didn't realized we only had 1 dozen eggs left so I need to get that too.

The cat ate the food I got her yesterday but turned her nose up at it this morning. Sigh.

Jetts, does your school district have a program for kids who need extra help?

Asian style tuna bowls for dinner. DH wants his with cauliflower rice.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
We have tried. Sometimes she eats it, sometimes not. Today I got the chicken and cheese flavor from the ONE store in my area that still has it, and two other flavors from the grocery store. Unfortunately most of the cat food shelves here look like this:
I've noticed that too. Stores like Menards used to carry a lot of canned foods for pets and now they have very little. I've tried ordering wet dog food from walmart and most of the time I can only get 2 tubs or they substitute the whole order. Not sure what's happening there. I'm trying to stock up and have a little in reserve, but can barely keep up with the daily need. I think I'd better order some more dry food for them. Don't need that to run out.

Waiting on the rain. Dh called and wanted me to get the "stray" cat in because I guess it's raining downtown. Nothing here yet. When it starts I'll open the door, she'll come running. I hope it does rain. My plants could use a good rain. I planted lettuce and cucumbers yesterday. Didn't get the rest of my flowers done. May work on that today.

Will probably make some kind of turkey hotdish for dinner tonight. The girls will be coming over this evening, unless the weather gets too bad.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Good morning. Cloudy but still really warm today. I went to the grocery store early for mark-down and sales, mostly bought meat items. Freezer is full so I need to make a plan. Bought some simple entrees on sale also. Made pumpkin bread yesterday. Hubby used the $2 coupon at CVS and sure enough another $1 off coupon printed. So odd.
Received a PetSmart coupon by email $7 off $30, good since I will probably buy more bowls and a food/water stand and whatever food the new dog is eating initially. Dog crate arrived and was assembled easily. Doing laundry today. Leftovers for supper. Have a good day.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Sunny and a little windy today. Not as warm. Got the bills paid this morning. Need to go get a new mini blind. I guess one of the dogs/cat chewed on it and it's about to break. There is no fixing these new cordless blinds. Once they break that's it. Unless someone knows how to fix it. We've tried before.

Doing some laundry and getting ready for the weekend. Need to get some grocery orders ready and pick up some library books. Dgds came over yesterday and the oldest was a terror. The youngest was very good. Oldest was whiny and yelling at the dogs, complaining about everything. We called mom to come get them. She called last night to apologize. We may try again tonight. Or she can just wait until tomorrow when she spends the night.

Made a turkey/rice casserole last night. It was okay. Just used up leftover rice, broccoli and turkey. Added cream of chicken and sour cream. Put the leftover stuffing on top. It was edible. May send it home with dil tonight if they come over.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
lol jett you are reminding me of those days and not missing them at all. a mix of sun and rain all week..allergies of course pollen really high at the moment. think will take another allergy pill..took one in the afternoon and then up to almost 2am but didn't sleep in. I just turned the heat up too. was like 70 in the house but just need the chill off.

not much new..getting work done, taxes etc. trying to do pantry challenge but deals and fresh stuff needed so shopped cus sale ended yesterday..scheiders beef hotdogs 2.99 good store brand 2.79 so got 5 packs mixed. that is cheap here half price and family goes though a lot of them. they had sausage rings too for 4.99 so got 4 or 5. plus bread etc. had shopped at diff store and got frozen lunch entrees too on sale. plus chicken taco kit for dinner tonight. I turned sunday chicken roast dinner into soup yesterday and froze the leftovers. chicken taco or chinese leftovers.

did one library for holds and need to go to the other one to drop off books and get holds. think I need to hide away and read for a weekend. of course housework etc. will have takeout lunch w friend and do one store and get the others done tomorrow.

for some reason my lilac bush has very few blooms.. and it is my favourite. love the smell. don't know why didn't prune etc.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Still flurries/cold rain at times. Too cold for me. The lilacs seem to be doing ok and the tulips have sprouted but not bloomed. The peach tree has blooms.

Will make korean bbq tacos tonight. DH will be on his own. I will try to make pumpkin pie today or tomorrow as I'm in the mood.
Renewed AAA and asked DS1 if he wanted it. Last year, he didn't but I said it's good to have. This year, he wanted it and I said it costs him $50 so he'll pay me.
I put some items up on ebay. Hope they sell.
Not sure what to get my nephew for his bday. He is a gamer and mentioned Steam gift card. DS2 has a birthday the same week and makes good $ so not sure about him. I got DS2 a free google play GC from swagbucks. He lives on his own ( he's our renter) so maybe a supermarket gift card? Or a restaurant gc?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Good morning, back to cool temps. It was windy during the night and I don't sleep well when that happens. Various sewing projects in progress to use up scraps and make clothing more wearable/functional. Emailed a pond maintenance company locally. I know hubby does not feel up to doing it and it needs attention. He has been seeing various doctors and getting diagnosed with arthritis in different body parts. Hopefully they come up with a plan. So I need to handle as much house/yard maintenance as I can. Excited to be getting the dog tomorrow. :D Have a good weekend.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Nice this morning, sunny and warming up. Lots to do. The chorus of neighborhood lawnmowers has begun.

Rujerro, korean bbq and pumpkin pie sound nice. All good ideas for gifts you came up with.

Dlr, sorry to hear about hubby's diagnosis. Hope they find him some relief.

DH gets his 2nd dose today, I expect he will be tired and cranky this weekend. Hopefully he'll sleep. We're having bbq dinner out with work friends tonight. Someone retiring or moving to a new job. Should be fun.

Local stuff is opening up. Restaurants and bars can now open to capacity. County on one side says no masks required now. County on the other side says masks only needed indoors. Vaccinations available to anyone who wants one, through multiple agencies, only need to call or go to their location. I expect there will be a surge of infections among the non-vaccinated within a month.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Busy day. Glad the sun is shining. Library pick up. DAV dropoff. Grocery pickup. Run in and check for sandwich rolls. They said they were out when I did the order last night. Aldi and target. Just put the order in for target. We'll see how much time I have. Whole Foods delivery soon. Dh is hooked on Whole Foods.

I'll throw in a load of laundry before I head out. Have one to fold. Washed one of dgd's shirts. She had pizza sauce all over the front of it. It took a couple of washings to get the stains out. It would have been ruined if it had gone home. When I find a shirt with fresh stains, I keep it and wash it. I'm trying to teach her to wipe her mouth and hands on a napkin. Baby steps. Dgd found one of those "helicopter" seeds last night and wanted to plant it. I told her she could plant it in one of my pots tonight. Want to look for a tomato plant this weekend. I want a big one that maybe has tomatoes on it already. Last year, the plant I got didn't do well. It was smaller. My pots do better when they are larger plants.

Not sure what we'll eat tonight. Dh got peppers and green onions from whole foods. Maybe some eggs or some other stir fry with chicken or steak.

·
Super Moderator
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #695 ·
went to a couple of yard sales today, first of the season. Got some yarn in a basket and more in a knitting bag/stand, all for $5. Got some free books at the recycle center.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Warm and sunny day, nice breeze. No AC on. Spending the day at home, have gardening as well as the usual house chores. DH had his 2nd shot and is feeling ok. Says his arm hurts and he's tired but no other effects.

Made breakfast pockets with the last piece of pita, the end of a bag of hash browns and the last of a bag of cheese. Other leftovers for lunch. Going to get out l/o dirty rice and make a salad for dinner.

Good finds, Jo!

Jetts, are you getting good deals from WF? They always seem expensive to me, but I love their sourdough bread and a few other things only they carry. Used to be good produce until Amazon took over. Trader Joes is much closer to me now, and better on prices in general.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I don't think the deals are that good at whole foods. Dh thinks it's good enough. I think he's planning for a time (when we're really old?) when we can't grocery shop and this will be another option for us. I can find most things at WM market. Even Aldi carries the Kombucha he wanted. Different flavor though.

Lazy day today. Ran a load in the dishwasher. Always extra dishes when dgd comes to visit. She wanted Casey's pizza last night. Then we had to watch Frozen. She talked and asked questions through the whole thing, until she fell asleep. That wasn't fun. She almost had to go home. She was so whiny again. Hope it's just a phase. She got up and made a mother's day card for her mom and we ordered a gift card to give her. She also picked out a pair of "fancy" socks for her mom too.

Not sure if we'll go out for dinner tonight. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Dlrcpa- I hope your DH can get some pain relief. The arthritis foundation used to have pain meds on the shelves of supermarkets.

Contrary- How did your DH do with the 2nd dose?

Jetts- Maybe a fancy bib with ruffles or even a unwanted shirt can go over her when she eats. She can bring that up to her mouth to wipe, maybe. If she designs it herself, it may make it easier for her to want to wear it.

I was extremely tired today and slept until church. DS2 cooked burgers & steaks and I had a frozen dinner. DH was willing to put fish in foil and place it on the grill but that didn't sound appetizing to me.

We'll meet a new tenant tomorrow at a local place. She will rent in July.

·
Super Moderator
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #699 ·
went to friend's for dinner. She made chicken shawarma, very good. Helped her start a knitting project. She needs a lot of supervision! It was easier when she lived next door.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Good morning. I have the 2nd dog here, we are working out some veterinary issues so he is "on loan" at the moment. They are doing well but constant supervision. Weather is nice today so hanging on the deck or patio outside and may read my library book, or just do nothing. Hubby is off work today and Monday so he can make supper. Thanks for those who commented on his arthritis. He cannot take much medication given the type of work he does. He gets a MRI this week and is trying to come up with a plan if he requires surgery (bone spurs in neck vertebrae). I reminded him about the teenagers who helped with splitting the wood, he can contact them about helping w/ pond maintenance. He could probably supervise easily, it is the dirty mucky work in the bottom of the pond that he doesn't want to tackle.

681 - 700 of 759 Posts