Frugal Village Forums banner

701 - 720 of 759 Posts

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Another lovely spring day. May get some rain tonight, garden could use it. Thai basil I seeded in a cup has sprouted, I hope it does well.

Rujerro, DH said he felt like he'd been punched in the shoulder right away. Was ok Friday night but crashed early and slept ten hours. Was very fatigued, but ok yesterday. He's feeling better today, was up an hour before me and put croissants in the oven and made my tea. :) Says he will get the yard mowed today. We'll see. I think he may only get half of it done.

I need to get out in the garden again today, have not finished everything. Today I will do the digging first and paint in the shade afterward.

Time to make a shopping list, and figure out what is filling up my vegetable bins because it isn' t vegetables. I am getting a whiff of something that's been in the fridge too long, but haven't found it yet. Teriyaki fish burgers and asian slaw for dinner.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
CH- Glad to hear he's feeling better after the shot. A man at DH's job didn't respond to DH's texts or show up....Found out he got the 2nd dose and slept 14 hours......

Dlrcpa- Sounds like the pup is doing well. Glad it's working out so far!

Drove out to visit with client today and had a nice lunch. It's supposed to rain for several days but was just cloudy. We hope to visit with DS1 next week and go hiking. I haven't seen his new place since he moved in November. Today, I'll have to buy several birthday cards for family and friends.They are extremely expensive! Places used to carry the 99 cent Hallmark but our store doesn't have them anymore. I may have to go to the dollar store.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
got text to book my covid shot so did it for day after mothers day. cus work etc. though govt it is pfizer or moderna ..astra is though pharmacies. has been nice spring weather..got some clean up done first mowing of the season though who cares really not me let it grow. I get all the plants i ordered next saturday. did bunch of grocery shopping last week so just milk and bread ..used up baked beans w sausage etc cleaned out leftovers . gave dh option of beef roast or a&w this morning he went w fast food so pulled out the oldest meat in freezer..prime rib steaks so defrosting for tomorrow. crockpot or roast w veggies. hopefully still ok.

watching escape to the chateau.. 2 out of 3 cats inside before night time spring fever hits. one went to vet yesterday. proved yes she has to be sedated for nails to be trimmed so that is on her file now so will not have issues now. he said her stuffy nose etc just allergies like I thought but he gave her a 2 week antibotic shot. suppose to give her a third of a reactine but haven't done it yet not like i can hide it in people food so will be fun. got a 6 pack of flea meds too so will be enough for a year.

ended up deep cleaning the washer and dh got rust spray paint for the lid inside of paint so that didn't get done this weekend. old set but works great so not giving them up. kids did something to the fabric softener dispenser white chunks etc coming out so ended up in dishwasher cus couldn't get it cleared enough had to buy new scrub brush too cus who knows what happened to my good one. kids age your stuff for sure. planning out the week too workwise, errands etc. fast read a few cozy mysteries so they can go back. others have them on hold.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Rain today. Trying to get a tiny bit of housework done - laundry, dishwasher. Walking the dogs longer so they will be tired out and sleep while I do stuff. I may make pizza for supper, we have toppings I just need to make the crust. Have a good day.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Was expecting rain last night but didn't get a drop. Time to hook up the sprinklers. I ought to look at getting the drip hoses fixed, too. Was going to do it last year but it got too hot to work outside.

DH is feeling better today, says his arm still hurts. He got the lawn mowed yesterday but was completely exhausted after. Found out at dinner Friday that several people from his old job got sick. Glad he was not in the office at all last year.

Jo, I have an extra fridge in the garage for stuff I don't use often. Chocolate, nuts, bricks of cheese, extra yogurt cups, wine, etc. I think the smell is gone, cleared out some restaurant cups of salsa. It may have been a can of cat food not sealed well. I didn't find anything slimy like I was expecting.

Dlr, hope your pizza is delicious and the dogs enjoy their walk and nap.

M, I love a good cosy, but there always seems to be something that needs done before I can sit and read. One of my cats gets her nail done when she gets her allergy shots, too. At first they were like "we don't do grooming" and then one day it was "we had to trim her nails".

Grilled turkey and broccoli for supper.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Cloudy today. Rain coming. Not much going on. Cat drives me nuts. I opened the blinds so she could see out this morning. Then she was messing with the blinds and pawing at the window, so I opened the window. Crazy cat. She spent most of the day in the garage. We opened it several times, once it was open for a while, but she never ran out. I think it's the other cat that is keeping her there. She wants the other cat to know she's the queen.

Got the old fence and garden box hauled off today, along with some other junk. Now that is cleaned up. Dh sold his truck last week. We only had it 9 months. We got back all of our payments plus a few thousand. I guess trucks are in high demand. That was selling it to carmax. If we did it our selves, we would have made a lot more, but why the hassle. He's looking for an old beater type truck that can hall stuff when we need it. Saving a good chunk from payments and insurance.

Not sure what I'll make for dinner. Something healthy. Sometime, I'm going to make some gluten free bread. I've been doing some reading and dh has watched some videos, and after talking with ds' friend (who is gluten free), I'm thinking maybe that's what some of our health problems are. Years ago when I was first diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, I read a book "Specific Carbohydrate Diet", and it used almond flour and pretty much gluten free. Back then, it was so expensive and very hard to find. Now it's everywhere. I'm going to look into that again.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Good morning. Goals for today are finish shredding box of papers and work on uncompleted sewing projects. I want to go to PetSmart to use the $7 coupon but will wait until hubby is home this evening to oversee the dogs. I pulled a container of vegetable soup from the freezer, there are also several leftovers including pizza from last night. Don't feel like cooking. Have a good day.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Cool and cloudy here today, looks like it might rain but the weather has been teasing us for the past couple of days. Have to go out for a routine blood test this morning. Will use the opportunity to have lunch out and do some shopping. Need milk and fresh vegs.

Jetts, bet it feels good to have your yard all cleaned up.

Going to thaw a large pack of ground beef and make meatloaf for dinner, with a bag of frozen green beans. Think I have a few potatoes left, too.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Rain this morning and cloudy now. Not sure if it will rain anymore. Dh was supposed to work this weekend, but it looks like more rain. Picked up dgd and went to McDs and for smoothies last night. She talks non-stop. It's not always nonsense. Most of the time it's very intelligent and we wonder where she learns all this stuff. She watches kids youtube and loves watching animal videos.

Tonight I'm going to grill some teriyaki chicken and stir fry some veggies. That's what I had planned yesterday, but dh came right home and mowed and cleaned up the yard. Did a full trim on the yard too. Not sure if he mowed the neighbor's yard. I hope not. I'm afraid they'll expect it from now on. This is the neighbor that asks for rides all the time. They were quite demanding on repairs/redo of the house. The previous owner spent so much extra time and money on that house for them. I think I would have rejected the offer. The house would have sold anyway.

Going to clean up the kitchen today and fold a load of laundry. May do some more sewing on masks. I can't find my elastic. I'm sure it's buried from when we moved things around in there. Ordered some new elastic. Will be here Thursday. I can at least get them sewn together. The elastic can be added later.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
A cold rain today.
Dinner consisted of fried cod, chicken rice-a-roni and i made pumpkin pie. DH will smoke ribs and chicken this week.

I got an offer from our credit union to purchase hospital accident insurance. I looked it up to see what it was. They sent a brief explanation so I'll sign up. Does anyone have this or cancer insurance or critical illness insurance?

I got some state quarters from ebay to complete DS2's book. I got him a ebay gift card last year and had no idea that coins can't be purchased. After he committed to buy a coin, we tried to put in the GC but no luck..Then we saw the fine print.....

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Rain today here as well, probably won't go out. Still have uncompleted sewing projects. Had a smallish thunderstorm yesterday afternoon, mostly rumbling not too loud. New dog apparently has some thunderstorm anxiety. Good thing to find out now. Need to stash a box of towels in the foyer closet for wet dogs, why haven't I done this previously? Making chicken and salsa in the crock pot, recipe really calls for pork but use what I have. Making good progress on culling/scanning/shredding documents, emptied several 3-ring binders so far. Have a good day.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Got chilly last night, I had to get a quilt out of the closet. Looks like we're going to have a few cool nights this week.

Stopped for groceries yesterday. Two quarts of milk, half and half, eggs, cottage cheese (sale), and sour cream (sale). One small pack each (2 portions) chicken and beef on sale. Bread and english muffins. Two bananas and a couple vegs, two cans of mandarin oranges on sale, two frozen entrees, two packs of hot dogs(sale), and a bag of off-brand cereal. 8 cans of cat food, a bag of sugar on sale, and I splurged and got a can of biscuits on sale and a $1 pack of cookie dough. (Also got 3 boxes of mac+cheese and 2 peanut butter for food bin). $92!!! That would not even get us through a week if I did not have a stockpile. I don't think I can afford to shop at that chain any more. Going to be looking at Aldi really closely next week.

Various projects in the house and garden to do today. The usual cleaning up. DH took care of laundry, yay! Got to get the cat to eat something today. Want to do some sewing this afternoon.

Empanadas and black bean soup from the freezer, spanish rice on the side.

Hope everyone's week is going well.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Sunny and cool today. Going to visit my parents today. I haven't been for a good visit in over 6 months. Tried to visit a couple of months ago, but my sister and her family showed up. We left. Can't handle that. I don't know if she'll be there today. I'm fine if she is. Going to stop somewhere for a flower or some kind of plant for my mom for mother's day. I need to find the card I bought a couple of weeks ago.

Dgds came over yesterday. The oldest played out in the pool area the whole time. Youngest played outside for a little bit, but I think she got cold. Came in and spent time with me. Didn't get dinner done. It's frustrating. I don't know why it's planned for them to come over right when I need to cook dinner. So the chicken will get cooked tonight, whether or not we eat it. Dh just doesn't get that some things you can't cook in advance. The chicken, yes, but not the veggies. They would have been a soggy mess. It's hard to handle the dogs barking and the girls screaming right as dh comes home from work. It's just too much. I don't think we'll see them for the next two days. I hope anyway.

Still need to plant a couple of flowers. Dh has new drills and I don't know how to use them, or the plants would be done. I need some drainage holes in the pots and the drill is the best way to do it. You'd think they'd make it easier to put the holes in, if it says punch out for drainage on the pot. Drives me nuts. Anyway, I hope to get that done. Hopefully dh will work on the car in the driveway. He's working on a car for a friend at work. It's been there for at least 3 weeks. Get it done and out of here. Can't when little girls are here all the time.

CH - I love Aldi. I get a lot of things there. I don't like the bread. I'm picky. I don't like the chicken noodle or tomato soup. That's about it. Canned goods are decently priced, but sometimes cheaper elsewhere on sale. But most of the time everything is cheaper. Most of the cereal we like better than name brands. It's really cheap.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Jetts, can you just send the kids home and ask that they come later? I know it's hard when it's grandkids....

I like a lot of things at Aldi, too. Some of their breads, like the croissants and english muffins are ok. The sandwich bread I bought last week tastes funny, like artificial ingredients. They have good prices on dairy, eggs, yogurt, cheese, etc. DH has been happy with the cereal and snack bars but hates their chips. The produce prices are good but not always best quality. I like their meats but if it's a really good deal they sell out early. About half of the housewares they advertise never make it to my local store. I should have gone yesterday, but the other store was more convenient at the time.

Hope you have a good Mother's Day visit without a lot of drama.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Good morning. No rain today but lots of weeds..... Hubby is home today so may be able to get outside and pull some. Probably another quiche for supper, have ham, asparagus, whole milk and cheese to use. Had to toss most of several onions yesterday, hubby buys large ones loose and seals them in a plastic bag. Salvaged what I could. I buy small ones in mesh bags and they last a lot longer. Yesterday's crock pot chicken, salsa, green chiles was good. I cooked rice separately and topped with cheese. Easy dish to make again.
Found a charity further south with drive-by drop-off for handmade donation items going to hospitals, nursing homes, chemo wards, etc. Next date is May 25 so try to get things organized for that road-trip. Try to knit 2 more chemo hats before then. Finished 2 small sewing projects (shorts and apron) yesterday so a bit of mess cleared away. Have a good day.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
No kids yesterday. Went to buy a new recliner for myself. Dh wanted to get it for mother's day. It's nice and big, really too big but dgd will be able to sit with me and the arms are low and big enough she could sit there too. Dgd called and asked if we could come visit her, but we were on our way to the furniture store. She texted twice asking if we were almost to her house. We took her to get a smoothie. Today her nana is coming to visit, so we may not see her today. Dh loves the girls and wants to spend as much time as possible. They are growing up fast and one day they won't want anything to do with us. That's why they come over so often. But it would be nice to not have them every day.

Anyway, I'm no looking for a new side table. Right now I'm using a dog crate with a piece of wood on top. The top used to be a desk we used during homeschooling days. We'll see once the chair get here. They will take my old one for $20. Cheaper than calling the trash company. I found a table that I would really like. It has a drawer that I can keep the little things that are on top and keep falling on the floor and a bottom shelf where I can keep the magazines. The top could stay clear.

Dh needs to work on that car tonight. I hope he does. He wants it out of here and so do I. We have plenty of space since we sold the truck, but that car is a reminder of work that needs to be done. Time to move on to the next project, which is the pool. Need to wash some sheets. Fatherinlaws dog peed on the bed this morning. I don't think she sees very well and can't figure out how to get down. Dh has the fan going in there. I'm so mad at that dog right now. That's the one thing I don't like about her. She never learned to potty outside. She would just go wherever at their house.

Stopped at Aldi yesterday for flowers. I wanted to take something to my mom. They had some in their ad. Of course there wasn't much there. I did find a nice cala lily in a watering can. My mom was thrilled. I had gotten one years ago and she always commented when it came up every year. Last year it didn't come back. Had a nice visit with them. Just the 3 of us.

·
Super Moderator
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #718 ·
Got my second Covid shot, yay! Picked up some free hardwood scraps for the fireplace. Did a little grocery shopping, managed to talk myself out of ice cream and frozen shrimp. Picked up a couple of prescriptions.
Stopped at a little antique store and got a few things.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Jo, that's great that you can get free firewood. Can be so expensive to buy. Glad to hear you got vaccinated.

Dlr, your quiche sounds yummy. I've been waiting for eggs to go on sale, and they are 99c this week. I see quiche in our future. I can pull some of the random volunteer onions and garlic from the garden, they are shooting up fast. Chard is not quite ready for a harvest, but I can get a few leaves there, too.

Jetts, glad you had a nice day with mom. Aldi can be hit-or-miss with plants, especially at easter and mother's day. Sorry to hear about the dog problems. Pets can be so frustrating at times.

Stopped at Sprouts while I was out today and got a few more vegetables, and sliced ham. Looked at their fish prices and just laughed. They had blueberries for 1.99, which I haven't seen on sale yet, usually they are everywhere this time of year along with strawberries. Maybe they were affected by the deep freeze in the south? I don't know.

Threw some chicken on the grill, burned a few more branches. Had fresh corn on the cob with that for dinner.

Tomorrow is Friday!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Managed to work 2 1-hr intervals pulling weeds yesterday without back trouble. Trying to be careful about that. Virginia has a Master Gardener program and they are giving a free webinar on mosquito & tick control w/out pesticides that I will watch this morning. Knitting chemo hats, it takes several days for each. Not a very efficient way to make clothing. :rolleyes: Leftovers for supper if I am the one who has to fix it. Have a good day.

701 - 720 of 759 Posts