Frugal Village Forums banner

741 - 760 of 915 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Cloudy and still cool. Going to take ds' van (our old one) to get the tire fixed. Better do it before someone completely ruins it. This is the second tire that's needed to be fixed. They are brand new tires. Dil is horrible with cars. I can get it done for free at sams. Been looking at new cars. One month no payment and dh is ready to get a new car. This time, it's mostly what I want. It will either be a Hyundai or Chevrolet. Bil works for both and gets the commission. Leaning toward the hyundai. It will be able to tow small loads, so we wouldn't necessarily need a truck. I'm going to be very picky this time, as it may be my last car. I want all the bells and whistles this time. And it's still reasonable.

Jo - sorry about the quilt. Some people can never be pleased, no matter what you do.

Dgd got her hair cut yesterday. It was growing so long, but she really wanted it cut NOW! It looks cute and she looks older. She's moved on to her 1st grade curriculum. She's doing much better with her writing, rarely writing anything backwards and is starting to read more. I found some books at the library that she loves. I may order some just for her. She's been trying to read them by herself. She's doing pretty good. Going to bring her home when I drop off the van.

Got some things from the store yesterday. Spent $70, but saved $52. More than I planned on. May go back today and get some more of a few things. I cooked one of the tenderloins last night in the instant pot. Turned out really good. Tender and juicy.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
Too bad about the quilt, Jo. Some people just cannot be pleased, don't let it stop you. I hate it when business calls aren't identified, too. So many people working from home are using their personal cell phones though. I saw in the news that state workers here are going back to their offices next week and our govt buildings will be open to the public again.

Cat's vet visit went well yesterday. She is maintaining her weight and doing ok except for being really picky about food. They gave us a product to help get more fluids in her, it is a gravy. Fortunately, she likes it.

Grey and cold this morning with a bit of drizzle. For some reason the heat was on. Went to bed with a sinus headache, and still have it. Ugh. Just generally not feeling well.

DH wants low carb egg pucks so I'm going to get a couple dozen .99 eggs from the local grocery. Today is the last day of the sale. That's about all I can handle today.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hot today....92....ran to Target to pick up some jumbo ziplock bags...needed it to do my birthday cake bags for food pantry next month. Picked up an auction win....got a cute little doll stroller for my sister's great granddaughter, and a few things for my shoeboxes.
My sister is organizing all my totes.....keeps her busy....for awhile....I had to put my foot down and tell her she couldn't do the rest of the garage....I know where things are and that is all that matters.....I wish she would understand I am retired....I don't have to go 90 miles an hour...I'm a go with the flow gal.....LOL Please pray for me to keep my cool....

Other sister is in nursing home....she is a year younger then me but acts like she is 100....she is a hypochondriac...every time we call her she has something else wrong with her....this has been going on for years and I have no time for drama......I just don't understand why anyone would want to be sick all the time.....I hate going to the doctors....In all I have five sisters and she is the only one like this.....one is 80 and still works.....

Going to have crab cakes for dinner....don't know what else.....make breakfast sandwiches and brownies for my grandson who will be stopping by to pick up.
Oldest grandson had his second shot so next week Tuesday we can get together.....he called me on Mother's Day and he said he can't wait to hug me.....
Reading the series Wagon West and am on book 12....have a few more to go. Interesting....

Have primary doctor appt. on Thursday. Next week it's the dr. who did my procedure last week and then the following week it's lab work for my appt. with oncologist on June 3rd....I'm tired of it all...at a standstill with my weight loss....but I am sticking to it....hard to do with my sister here cause she is a junk food junky....I'm trying to stay away from it all...

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day....
Have a good week....

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Peg- With your active sister there, maybe your name should be "Saint Peg." Sounds like you are doing well with handling her desire to be moving all the time. Maybe put some locks on doors so she can't see what's in there- you know, like we did when our kids were little......

Jetts- Buying a new car sounds like fun. My brother owns a Hyundai and loves it. He's had it for a long time. My last new car is still with me- 17 years old and still a youngster.

We've been getting cold rains, sleet and today was snow and rain. I just planted 2 trees and who knows if it's been too cold or watery for them. The sump pump runs all the time.

I made chicken soup today and DH got pizza.

I had my doctor appt today. She is very puzzled and is referring me to someone but the thing is...This person may have ideas for me but my doctor said she doubts that this person has ever encountered someone with my issues. Great....I'm trying a drug and hope it helps. She said that putting me in the hospital in a controlled atmosphere may be a consideration. I told her I thought of that too. Well, I'll try the drug and see how it goes. She gave me other drugs that I requested but I will try one at a time.

I had vertigo yesterday and it took about 24 hours to stop. I don't have it often, which is great.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Good morning, still gray and chilly here. Thawing ground beef from the freezer, I think I will just make meatballs and spaghetti for supper. I made blueberry muffins and a chicken-noodle casserole yesterday. The pile of papers to shred has grown again. Planning to groom both dogs and work on knitting. I have more sewing projects organized but don't want to spend a lot of time sitting at the machine today, give my back a rest. Dogs are getting along better. The new dog is quite normal for the breed, it is my old dog that is fearful and defensive. I think he will learn to trust the new dog not to hurt him but the new dog is rather pushy and wants to play rough. My old dog will play and wrestle with me but it took a long time and he still fears my husband and strangers. They are about the same age and the old dog is bigger and outweighs the new dog but he doesn't realize that. :confused: Hence the saying "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog".

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
Cool this morning but clouds are clearing off and it may warm some. Have a dentist appt later this morning, and may wander around town after that.

Don't know what happened yesterday but woke up with a headache and was extremely tired and even feeling a little too warm at one point. Gone now. I made a quick run to the store for eggs, picked up a marked down pack of sausage and one with cubed steaks. Between that and the large bag of pita bread from the weekend the freezer is full again.

DH made supper last night and did a good job. He made egg cups, too. Said he is more interested in learning things now. Going to get some chicken out for dinner, not sure yet what to do with it. Make a peach pie with canned peaches and frozen pie crust on Monday, still have some of that left.

Hope everyone is doing well today and has a good day.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Sun is shining today. Helps the mood. Went to look at a new car yesterday. We just wanted to sit in it to see if the seats were comfortable. Of course they were. I'm a little torn on a new car. I still love my 10 year old SUV. It has just over 100,000 miles and runs great. I told dh he'd have to drive the new one on grocery days because I wasn't going to have it get hit by a careless worker (sometimes it is the wind) letting the cart handle hit the car. He said not to worry about it. It's just a car. We had a Hyundai back in the late 80's. It was a lemon. It would stall as you pulled out into traffic. They wouldn't do anything about it. We finally got rid of it. They've come a long way over the years. We are looking at a Chevy also, but it just doesn't compare. The warranty isn't as good and the options are minimal. I want to buy American, but they just don't compare. It's too bad.

Didn't get the tire fixed yesterday. I guess you need an appointment now. I have to wait until Friday. Called walmart and it's by appointment also. I'll wait and get it done for free. Now to replan the rest of my week. Can't plan any order pickups, because who knows how long it will take. I can do my sams shopping while I wait. I can get stuff done early before the appointment, but I'm just not a morning person.

Ran by the store for some last minute deals. The snack pantry is stocked up for the girls. Lots of juice pouches, chips and cookies. They always need a snack as they are leaving. The youngest is too funny. Sometimes they have to come back in to grab a snack, because she forgot to grab one. Oldest dgd finished kindergarten. We are going to have a little graduation for her this weekend. I ordered a cap and gown for her. Mom and Dad are in charge of the diploma. She's is doing much better with reading. She's really trying harder. She loves to draw and is getting very good at it. We just got her some new paper and pencils. She wanted the pencils like in a video she watches. Luckily they linked them in the comments. She'll sit for hours just drawing.

Need to fix better dinners. Dh says he's gained a few pounds. Just can't get over that hump. I really need to do better at meal planning and just cooking whether he wants it at the moment or not. At least he'd have lunch the next day. Still a lot of leftovers in the fridge. I think we'll try to clear those out tonight and lunch tomorrow. It doesn't help that dgd always wants to go get ice cream. I bought some on sale this week and bought some of the chocolate that hardens. Hopefully that will satisfy her.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Rujerro thank goodness my closet is in my bathroom and you would have to go thru my bedroom to get to it...if she opened it she would have heart failure....I cleaned it but then when it got down to the nitty gritty I had to put all the extra blankets and pillows, etc. somewhere......I could never live up to the title.....I'm a "tell it like it is" kind of gal....gets me in trouble more often then not.......Snow and ice....oh my....doesn't mother nature know it's May???? The last few times I took chicken out to make chicken soup, I didn't get to it (ER which resulted in hospital stay, bad storm where we had to leave the house) so I'm afraid to try it again....don't want to push my luck.....LOL ...Vertigo is the worst I think....you can't move without feeling it....glad that went away.....I sure hope the doctor's can find answers for you...

dlrcpa blueberry muffins sound really good.....I have plenty of blueberries in freezer....maybe later today...thanks for the idea...I've never heard that saying before....see even at my age you learn something new everyday.....

CH maybe your sleep cycle was messed up....I hate feeling tired when I wake up...it's like you wasted all that time sleeping for nothing....hope you feel better soon.

Jetts hope you find a car you love....I hate shopping for a car....husband tried to involve me years ago and I flat out told him nope....you do the research, you choose, and I'll pick it up....My grandkids, all grown, still come to Meme's and "shop" from the pantry and freezer....I am always buying things that I know they like. And I like to think it frees up some of their money so they can get a bit ahead if there is such a thing nowadays.....with prices increasing the way they are, no one is going to be able to get ahead.....sad world we live in.

It's cool today...91 yesterday and today it's 64....sister is loving it....
today we are going to the dollar store to pick up some things for a box to send sister in nursing home....I got her three word puzzle books so far and will pick up some snacks and fuzzy socks and whatever else hops into my basket....hope they let her have it with pandemic and all.......and as this sister visiting said, don't expect a thank you or anything cause she will probably tell you she doesn't like what you sent or she doesn't like word puzzle books, the snacks, etc....she is a miserable grumpy old lady.....very sad....I always say your life is what you make it....no one else can make you happy if you are unhappy with yourself....

Have no idea what I will make for dinner.....better figure it out quick as it's noon here....

Hope you all have a wonderful day....stay safe and stay healthy...think positive....

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Dlrcpa- I never heard that saying either but I like it.

It's supposed to be in the 70's this week and 40's and 50's at night. The heat is on all the time though. I put my electric blanket away and ended up putting a comforter on me- doubled in half. This weather is mind boggling.

I tried to get gas but no luck! The station had nothing....I volunteered this week at the food bank but if I can't find gas, I will cancel. I need it to get to work, take DS2 to work and get to post office. Luckily, my exercise eqpt has seen me through these crazy times and not making it to the gym is ok. We have been having lots of car break-ins and I hope gas siphoning doesn't start happening!!

I went through my food stockpile as some are in cardboard boxes..I actually needed the box to mail DS2's book rentals in.....I found a huge container of mayo that expires in a few days so I put it in the fridge. DH will love seeing that as he puts it on lots of foods...

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Ruj I did not realize the gasoline problem was in your part of the country too. Hubby searched several stations for gas last night. I walked the dogs this morning (before 7am) and saw the closest station had some so filled up my car (I was below half tank.) It was warm enough to sit on the deck a while yesterday. The dirty windows bugged me so I got the ladder out and cleaned them. Not much else going on. Friend is bringing her dog over tomorrow for walk and play date, so make sure the house is straightened up. Leftovers for supper.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
The east coast gas problem is temporary. From what I read in the news there was a supply line problem, but it has been fixed and you guys should be ok in a few days. Our prices went up 10-15c overnight, but we both have full tanks right now and won't need to go anywhere soon.

Rujero, your menu plan looks tasty. Having berries in the freezer is not a bad problem to have.

Dlr, hope the weather is good for your walk and dog date. We are supposed to get rain starting tomorrow and continuing through next week. I'm going to take advantage of our last day of sunshine to get some painting done on the deck lattice. I've been distracted with a sick cat and other things the last week or two. Maybe DH will help get it nailed up this evening.

Didn't cook last night, went through the fridge and we had leftovers: chicken, french fries, salad, melon, and hummus. I think tonight is ravioli and italian sausage. DH doesn't get too fussy about what I cook as long as there's no peppers in it. He can always make a peanut butter sandwich. And he remembers the story about Moose Turd Pie... complain about dinner and you get to make it yourself next time.

Well, better get moving or nothing will happen today.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Sunny today, but rain coming in this weekend. Looks like it could rain for the next week or so. Better get the fertilizer down this time. Dh will mow tonight and maybe in the morning, I can put the fertilizer down. I think it's more of a weed and feed.

Got my new car. Went with the Hyundai. It was just a better deal. Brother in law is on the loan, because we used his discount. We can refinance in 6 months. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. Talk about bells and whistles. It will take a while to figure out everything. Last night, I got the radio set up and my hands free phone set up. Changed the door lock and lift gate configuration. That's about all I could do. There's so much stuff, I doubt I'll use most of it. Did find a door ding after we got home. I'll take it in sometime to fix that. It's part of the extended warranty/convenience package we have. Now to plan a little trip. Now all the emails are coming in from Hyundai for all the account setup. I think there are a bunch of videos to help with using everything.

Lots of laundry to do and a kitchen to clean. Pay bills, meal plan. I didn't get much done this week. Dgd has been over earlier and more often this week. She is a sweetheart, but we get nothing done. Dh is almost finished with the car he's been working on. Then he's going to clean out the garage to see if the new car fits. It seems too big to fit, but we'll see.

Not sure about dinner, will see when it gets closer. Too much to catch up on to think about it.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Good morning, still cold outside. May warm later although yesterday did not get that warm. Local gas station out of gas now (they had gas yesterday morning.) Expecting dog club friend with her dog for walk and playdate today. If she does not show I won't be upset, other stuff to do. I sorted and shredded more papers yesterday, making progress. Hubby bought carryout for supper last night so even MORE leftovers on hand. I hope everyone has a good weekend.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
Cool and grey this morning, looks like the first round of rain missed us, but more are coming. Friend is flying in from out of town this afternoon, have to consult with DH. He said he wanted to order a pizza for dinner, but we have tomorrow and Sunday to think about, too. Other friends are having a gathering tomorrow, and I want to take a plate of something to contribute. May run up to Aldi for a veggie plate and a dip.

Time to do a little spring cleaning. Windows need wiped down, carpet needs vacuumed, kitchen floor needs a scrub, etc. Will tackle them one at a time, not this weekend. DH ordered stuff and boxes and packing material are laying around. That can get picked up at least. Sounds like most of you are working on some sort of cleaning project, too.

Have a good day.

Reactions: bookwormpeg

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Cloudy today. Rain for the next week. At least the car is finished. Dh took it back today. He's going to clean the garage today. Put all of the tools back. He wants to get the new car in the garage. We'll see. It seems kind of big. It has parking assist, so maybe I'll be able to get in the garage. Got most of the laundry done. Still have a load of towels to fold.

Going to take ds' van to get the tire fixed. Hopefully it won't take too long, since I have an appointment. I'll do some sams club shopping while I wait. Going to stock up on chicken. It's grilling season and we will eat lots of chicken. Going to get ground turkey and ground beef also. Maybe some steaks. There are a few sales around at different stores. Not sure how much I'll get done today. Dgd will come spend the night. I'll do the shopping before I take the van back. Then I can pick her up and bring her home with me.

Tonight will most likely be pizza. It's dh's birthday and he said he would like pizza. Depending on the time, I may just pick up the pizza when I get dgd.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Cold and rainy...bbrrrr

I am going to replant the apple tree and try to grow carrots and basil. I will pull grass/weeds in the rock garden as it's a fright. Most of the tulips didn't bloom- just their leaves came up.

I've been working on this for years and finally finished. I gathered info such as house bills/ insurances/ banking info, etc.. and was putting them in labeled envelopes. But then the envelopes got full and I kept adding more envelopes. Well, I finally went through all of it and created a binder. It took about 3 hours but it's all labelled and organized. Whew

DH made raviolis for dinner and I fried fish.

DS2 is looking for a Summer job and will apply to a pizza place today.

I earned $25 in Paypal thru Swagbucks.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Good morning, cloudy and expect rain late this afternoon. I'm doing misc. household and yard chores today. Need to pull weeds but won't spend too much time on it. My back feels OK again and I don't want to mess that up. Weather looks good for the rest of the week. Knitting a baby afghan but I don't think I will finish by the 25th when I am driving donations to the charity. Will try though. Hubby wants steaks for supper so he will probably go to the store. I have been good about using up food on hand, like finishing a tin of "white tea" bags I was given. I have loose specialty tea to use up. We had carryout leftovers last night and still enough left for lunches. I hope everyone is well.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Cloudy and dark today....suppose to rain all week. Have to go downtown on Tuesday so hope it's not too bad...I don't like driving in the rain and my sister makes me nervous when I'm driving. She lives in a small small town and I am sure the traffic makes her nervous but I've been driving in this traffic for 40 years so I know what I am doing...You got to keep up with traffic or you are a hazard to the guys behind you.......Maybe husband can take me. Have dr. appointment on Wednesday but that is just about two miles from my house so I'm not worried about that.

Going do a grocery pick up on Tuesday morning. It's time.

Going to stop by and visit with my son and family today. He hasn't seen his aunt in four or five years.

Going to sandwich shop for dinner. Already looked at menu online and decided I am having a salad. I need to stop the junk food. When sister leaves, it's back to the strict dieting. I'm holding steady but not losing any...

Oldest grandson had second shot so on Tuesday it will be two weeks....we will plan on meeting up so we can hug. He's a hugger....even as a teenager he didn't care if his friends were around, when he saw me, he would hug me and tell me he loved me. You know how teenagers are....but not him....

Not much else going on....going have to find something for sister to do.....she has organized my OCC stuff....took all the tags off and put things together....which will be a help when it comes time to pack the shoeboxes....I may put her to work packing pencil packs....haven't done any yet and I need to get to it. She's here for another three weeks.....keep praying for me girls....

Hope all is well and you are all healthy and safe....have a wonderful week....

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
Thunder and rain today. Relaxing after a very social weekend. May do one more dinner out this evening if our out of town visitor is up for it. Either way I need to get ready for the quilt bee tomorrow morning. I have stuff to pack up and take with me.

Got my menu plan for the coming week figured out, don't need to go shopping yet. Plenty already in the pantry and freezer. Will probably get milk on Wed after the cat gets her allergy shot. Had too much pizza, chips, cheese dip, and booze this weekend, need to get back on track.

BW, does your sister enjoy gardening? Maybe she's like to do some weeding?

Rujerro, that's a big project, getting all those papers sorted. Good for you. Mine's in a sad pile on my desk.

Hope everyone is having a nice day, despite the rain.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Good morning. Sewing on the charity projects today. It's wet outside and still chilly (61 degrees.) Should get warm later in the week. I did some yard work yesterday without back problems, so will try to do some more later this week. Pruning bushes while standing is pretty easy. Hubby bought chicken skewers and corn so I expect that will be supper. I tried a recipe for Ovaltine brownies and they are good, more like cake. Have a good day.

741 - 760 of 915 Posts