Frugal Village Forums banner

841 - 860 of 904 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Cloudy today. Thawing out some shrimp, sausage and corn for country boil in the instant pot. Also thawing out some leftover pot roast. Will make bbq beef for sandwiches. Buns are still good from last week. Need to use them up. Dh isn't sure if they will be working late tomorrow. He doesn't think the lifts are charged up. If not they won't be able to start the work. Looks like we'll be putting the pool up last minute. It rained so much we haven't been able to do much outside, and then he's busy working. It would be nice if ds could help, but all he does is gives a heavy, heavy sigh. So we don't ask him. I have one son that's just plain lazy and the other works his tail off.

Didn't get any sewing done. Dh needs the shirts by the end of the month. Made baked oatmeal, that someone ate a bunch of yesterday and some raspberry muffins, from berries I found in the freezer.

Not sure if I'll go to church today. Thinking about it. It's been a long time since I've gone because of covid. Going to be hard to get back in the routine. Hoping dgds don't come over tonight. They came yesterday and the oldest is starting to get an attitude. They came over yesterday and I was ready for them to go home. They won't be coming for dinner today. Told them I wasn't cooking today. Don't know when dh will be home either.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Good morning. Hot and humid here with afternoon thunderstorms all week. Going in the yard early then get cleaned up and stay out of the heat. Salad for supper, might make some chicken salad too. I made HB eggs yesterday. My office is looking nice, I will keep working on it. Have a good day.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Today the sun is shining. Hope everyone has a good start to the week.

As dh was leaving for work this morning, he said his dad's dog peed on the bed again. Had to go find a spray bottle to put bleach in and spray the spot, wash sheets. I knew it was coming. I didn't have the other set of sheets washed yet. Have the fan on high so it will dry. Need to find the other table top fan and put it on the bed. Pretty sure the dog doesn't see well and can't figure out how to get off the bed. She's used to sleeping with people, so that's why she sleeps on the bed. She knows she's in trouble. She laying in her dog bed, looking at me.

Need to drop off a package to UPS. I didn't go all last week. I'll pick up some fruit and vegetables while I'm out. Trying to fix healthier meals. Dh starts his double shift days this week.

Dgd pulled another tooth last night. Of course it fell on the floor and we were scrambling to keep the dogs away. She was crying and worried it would hurt. As soon as it came out she yells "it's out". It was just hanging and we told her to just yank it out, but she was scared. It's her second tooth. Not sure why she was so scared. Took forever. Told her she just barely made the deadline for the tooth fairy. Probably won't see her much this week. That will be good for me. I could use a break.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Humid and getting hot. No chance of rain here. Going to do a little in the garden. Bought more sunflower seed at the hardware store yesterday and want to get some planted. Have weeds to clip out front, too.

Got some ok deals at Kohl's yesterday. Nice flannel shirt for next winter, $9, man's 2xl football logo shirt (licenced!) for $15 (those are so overpriced at regular retail) will be a gift, two ladies short sleeve tops for $4.50 each, 2 pks of undies, opened but half price (will get washed first). And of course, coupon came in the mail today.

Planning a short grocery trip for milk, burger buns, and fresh veg. Cherries on sale this week. Will try to keep stuff from falling into my cart that we don't need.

Pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, maybe coleslaw for dinner.

·
Super Moderator
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #846 ·
Very hot here, went to give blood. They are having a severe blood shortage, I went because I go regularly though. They are having a lot of medical center employees donating.
Went to Best Buy, wanted to ask about phones. No one there to help. Left and went grocery shopping. Had a $4 off virtual coupon for a brand of coffee I have been wanting to try anyway. (lavazza espresso).
Came home to a letter from the IRS, I had been expecting an $800 refund, now they say I owe $26. I don't understand their explanation at all. I have a call in, they are supposed to get back to me. Ugh. I am not doing my own taxes any more after this year.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Jo- I think you'll enjoy Lavazzo...We sure do. So sweet of you to donate.

Thawing a ham & ground turkey. DH wants turkey burgers and I'd like some ham.

DS2 has an interview this week and I hope he gets the job. It's fast food. School starts today.

It's been raining here too. A cold rain....The peach tree has 6 peaches on it. The apple tree sprig is still a sprig. The other apple tree has nothing. I picked one strawberry since only one plant survived the winter. I've planted carrots and herbs and possibly onions- I can't remember. The herbs are sprouting.

I may transfer from my workplace to a different one. The new scheduling has caused many people to leave. We've lost about half the staff and filling all the shifts means that those of us remaining will be assigned to them. They can be anytime and any day in addition to our chosen shifts.

DS2 has swollen feet since our trip....It started with one....The next day, the other started.....I have been having him lay with legs elevated and doing exercises. I've tried massaging them and it's not pitting edema... Which is good. But no idea why this is happening.

·
Super Moderator
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #848 ·
IRS called back, very nice rep, figured out it was for 2019 taxes. Not too bad, since I owed a little in 2019 so I just owed a little more. Paid it online. He said 2020 return is not even processed yet.

Stopped at Best Buy yesterday, to inquire about a new cell phone. As usual, no one around to help. Then I remembered a snowbird friend who is tech-savvy, so I called him up with my questions. He ordered an inexpensive cell phone for me off the Tracfone website, wouldn't hear of me paying him back. I'll make him some cookies, he loves those. Apparently my phone is worse than I thought, he kept having me tap it on the desk to make the mike work.

Very hot here, slept in the guest room with the AC (It's the only room that has a window that is AC-compatible). Didn't sleep too well though, hope it is cooler tonight.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Going to get warm here, too. Planning to do a little bit in the garden and then rest for a couple hours. Going over to help a friend pick cherries during the afternoon. Need to find my insulated mug so I can take a cold drink.

Got some good markdowns at the store yesterday. They will be closing at the end of the month and moving to a new store about a mile away, so they are slowly emptying shelves. 2 bottles white wine (reg $12) for $3 ea. 2 dated bottles of mayo @50% off, bag of salad for $1.49, and a pack of pork chops 50% off. I forgot to get milk so I have to stop this afternoon on my way home.

Lemon chicken and green beans for dinner.

Hope everyone is staying cool.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Sunny, hot and the humidity is coming. Wish we had the pool up. The water could be warming. Oh well. So irritating how it rains forever and then turns hot. Spring is no fun anymore. Can't get anything done while the weather is cool. I guess we could have tried to work in the rain, but that's no fun either.

Dh had his first day of double shifts. They finished around midnight, so it wasn't too bad. He didn't go in until 930 today. Not sure how late he'll have to work. It will depend on the people coming in to do the work, how long they want to stay. At least he has the weekend off.

May run to target today. I'd like to get a container to keep under the bed for my shoes. Also need a mattress cover. I think I found one on Amazon. Also want some new bath rugs. Someone pooped all over one set, so dh just threw them out. Not sure if I want to keep with the memory foam or just get some other rugs.

Dinner tonight will be beef and shrimp stir fry. Watched a show about plant based diet. All I could think about was dgd. She doesn't eat meat. I love veggies, so I think we'll try to incorporate more meatless meals. Dh tried the impossible meat and really liked it. Not sure if it gave me a tummy ache. Doesn't taste bad at all. I like the look of the impossible meat better than the beyond burgers.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Jo glad you got IRS taken care of...glad you got a nice one...It's too early to be so hot...It has rained here for two weeks and now this week they are saying 101...ugh
Rjuerro hope your son gets the job. So many people don't want to work....I don't understand...do they have a huge bank account to live off of or how do they pay their bills?
CH good deal on the wine. I am not a wine drinker so I never know what is good and what isn't. I usually try to keep a bottle or two for gifts....I do like peach bellini and have a couple bottles of that in drink refrig. I suppose I should drink them as they do go bad.
Jett I tried the plant base meatballs and husband didn't like them. I have some impossible meat in freezer and will try to sneak that in somehow next week and see if he knows the difference. He is picky...likes plain old chicken legs...throw some bbq sauce on them and that is it....not adventurist at all with food.. I like trying new things....not a big meat eater...
Went to Italian place for dinner last night and had eggplant parm...it wasn't all that great...had a free coupon they sent for my birthday last week and we had to use it...so I shouldn't complain. The place just had a cold feeling ...they use to be closer to us and we would go there once a month or so and it was warm and cozy and everyone was smiling and happy....they moved to their new place few years ago and we have been two or three times now and every time it's been like that...cold, unwelcoming...
Taking my oldest grandson's girlfriend to dentist and watching her little boy for her this afternoon....will take him to get chickfila . Took some veggie soup out of freezer and used my immersion blender and blended it with some heavy cream so she can have that for dinner....she is having a deep cleaning done so her gums will be sore.......

The sun is shining and looks like a nice day....
Having leftover shrimp for dinner.....
Hope everyone has a wonderful day....stay safe...stay healthy and enjoy the day!!!!

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Peg can you try 1/2 lb of regular hamburger and 1/2 lb of the impossible meat in some recipe. Like just brown and add spaghetti sauce which should have enough flavor to cover slight differences.
I have made eggplant parm at home and it is not that hard, I like how mine turned out. Have not made it for a while, time to buy eggplant again.

·
Super Moderator
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #854 ·
still hot here today, not much appetite. Lost a pound or two. Walked to the PO twice for a little exercise. I try to eat a plant-based diet, with eggs and cheese. I don't feel good when I eat meat, especially for dinner, and it stays in my stomach all night. Had Special K with blueberries and almond milk for dinner tonight.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Hope everyone is doing well ..that the heat has calmed down. Has been a mix of rain and sun here but nice today. went out back and planted some of those bedding flowering plants ..pulled the morning glory off one clematis.. that is hard not to rip both. the lettuce that was planted is rotted from the rain..maybe will come back. but the csa starts next week so will get plenty of greens from there. stuff has grown a bit but not enough nice weather. put some miracle grow on veggies etc. need to do a good pruning too. boys job.. I direct.. a jungle at the moment everything is blooming.

Rujerro good luck to your son! lots of jobs here I think ..cus yes dd needs one. at least she is happy she got a shot and read a book from library I got about executive functioning for teens. Cus you know with teens mom doesn't know much lol Glad the IRS wasn't too scary Jos! Ch good deals on the groceries! are they going to do a 75% off sale at the end of the month before they move? they do here a lot when change over which of course we all like lol

Rough healthwise couple of days which is screwing w my work I need to do online ..friend popped over for coffee. she wanted me to go out but not up for it. half day of school for ds so sent both down to my moms to do gardening and housework. dd came back for her appt. I grocery shopping with mom yesterday.. safeway bogo sales on meat, choc milk (which no kid has asked me about lol) ice cream and more.. usual bread, cheese etc. fruit..plus local strawberries and cherries. marked down lemon coconut bars. frozen teryaki shrimp kit that is suppose to be dinner tonight but don't know if I can cook..not great at it lol when tired. so will see if ds will do it. or at least someone can cut onion etc.

dh is worried I want my old car I am no get rid of it like just need oil change minor things to look better to sell cheap, give to friend for mechanic trade in kind or he buys cheap. said you paid for my car so up to you. he just want mine insured and out of his spot in the back lol we got notes from insurance (monoply here so no choice) that both of ours has gone down a few hundred a year. previous govt used to raid the its extra funds to balance budget but now there is a law against so rebuilt and they made changes. cus people have been bitching about lack of choice for years. and insurance here is not cheap. so any thing cheaper while stuff goes up is all good.

off to turn on dishwasher ..just doing all those things that are just a few minutes here and there. lots of bigger things to do I can see w cat hair etc. but can wait. need to figure out work for rest of the week. did buy a new makeup palette released today in uk. and the other day some show tickets for nov..fingers crossed lol

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
CH-Glad you got some good deals.
Jetts- Glad your DH did ok with the long shifts.
Martha- I took DS2 to walk the shops and ask for applications. One (a tea store) asked him to write his phone # and said they would call him. They called in a hour and scheduled a interview. Another place interviewed him right there and gave him a paper app to fill out. He has a tea store interview and a chikfila interview this week so far. I told him the questions he needs to ask and he will have to think on the fly if they want an answer right there..... DS2' feet still swollen, one looking a bit better though. He started school and has homework.

Extremely hot here too. The night is cool and breezy at times.

Leftovers for dinner- smoked chicken for sandwiches, cooked pasta, frozen oven fry items. I had a chicken patty and fries.

I went to another store to see about transferring and work schedule. I knew the one manager but will speak to the other tomorrow. I called another place but the HR person wasn't available. It looks like I'll be able to transfer to at least one of them.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Martha I hope your energy comes back.
Good morning. Target order arriving today, stuff they did not carry in the stores. Got a bunch of the Bear Creek soup mixes, they are really good if you add vegetables and extra meat (leftovers), nice and creamy. Going to the grocery store for produce & dairy and hoping for mark-down meats. Using the machine for baking today - bread and pound cake. Still hot and certainly thunderstorm later. New dog does not do well with those. Stay cool.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
BW, "good" wine is a matter of individual taste. (as long as it hasn't got any off flavors or gone bad). It ranges in flavor from very young sweet wine to very old dry wine and you can find something in there for almost anyone. It's just a matter of trying some to find what you like. We are lucky to live in wine country, and DH and I have been on some tours and tastings, which are great because you can sample everything without buying full bottles. Before COVID even the local grocery stores were doing tastings once in a while.

Have not tried any of the plant based meat products. Not likely to as long as they cost more than real meat. Not a fan of the texture of pre-made meatballs and patties, if it's anything like that we won't like it. Would try it if there were samples but it will be a long time before stores are handing out those again.

M, I don't think there is going to be a sale. They have been letting inventory run down, it is looking like COVID panic days in there right now, only cleaner. Nothing on top or bottom shelves and very little in between. Mostly generic or store brands left.

Hope everyone is staying cool, and feeling better soon.

Had a good haul from cherry picking, got a lot of pitting to do now. Will freeze them like I did last year. Some gardening to do today before it gets too hot. I don't last long out there in the sun. Planted a row of late lettuce and it will need watered frequently to survive.

Was too hot and tired yesterday to cook. DH pan fried a chicken breast and chopped it up over a bag of lettuce and it was pretty good. He is learning. Planning spaghetti with sausage for tonight.

Thought about making bagels again, but have bread, pita, etc to use up so I will wait a few days. Don't want too much sitting on the counter in this heat.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Beautiful sunny day, but going to be hot again. Taking my parents for lunch and then dgd will be coming over to spend the night. My parents want me to go to the bank with them, to put my name on the account.

We tried the impossible meat. Looked just like ground beef. Smelled like it too. Dh make a burger out of it. The texture was not quite the same, but tastes great. We got some of the beyond burgers and I didn't like those. I have some beyond sausage links in the freezer. If you're going to try to switch over, go with the impossible. I'd mix it it in with regular ground beef. Shouldn't be able to tell the difference, but I know there are those out there that can taste and smell the difference even if it looks the same. It is hard to justify the price, when you can get meat for much less.

Need to do some cleaning and organizing. Not making very good use of my time while dh is working. I may try to wash out the dog food container before I go to lunch. Let it sit in the sun on the deck to dry out. It could use a cleaning. I'll be busy this afternoon when dgd comes over. She's nonstop.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
DS2 had an interview at a fast food place. He said he failed. He was asked his definition of integrity and he said he didn't know. He was told that they were interviewing more people and would call him......I said I failed at my first interview too. I was asked about why the interviewee should pick me for the job if me and another person that was applying were exactly the same. I said that if we're the same, then choose who YOU want. That's not MY decision...I got reprimanded for that comment...I told DS2 that it runs in the family and he has an interview in the afternoon for another place, so don't worry.

I found boneless beef ribs on clearance and they're in the crockpot with sugarfree bbq sauce. DH won't eat sugarfree things so I won't tell him. I find that SF items cause terrible GI issues and hope this doesn't do that.

Running errands like the bank, interview and pharmacy.

DS2 said his schooling is easy this Summer. Good.

841 - 860 of 904 Posts