Frugal Village Forums banner

861 - 880 of 904 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #861 ·
rujerro, look for sugar alcohols in the sauce (ingredients end in -ol like maltitol.) That is what causes GI upset in most people. (including me). Hope you are not causing GI problems for your hubby, that would not be nice!

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Got some mark-down meats at the grocery yesterday. Turkey chili for supper. Tried a ginger bread recipe in the machine, it would NOT turn out of the pan. Tastes great but original recipe used applesauce, no butter. Next time use butter. Tried making barley pudding (like rice pudding w/ raisins) in the microwave but it would NOT thicken, watery. Generally unlucky day. Finished knitting a chemo hat, started another one. No thunderstorms yesterday but probably today.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Dgd spent the night. We had a good night. Took my parents to lunch yesterday. Mom gave me a couple of craft kids she had gotten for another great-dgd and she wasn't interested. Dgd and I did one of them together last night. It was fun and turned out great. I need to read the instructions on the others before we attempt them. We'll do a piano lesson in a little bit. It will be slow going. Her attention span is very short and she wants to do her own thing and not what she's being taught. She'll get there, just slower.

Going to pay bills and see what's leftover and pay off more debt where I can. Don't really need any food. Need to use up what's in the freezer. I may just need a few odds and ends like milk and a few fresh veggies. Need to figure out what to make for dh for next week. One week almost down. One or two more to go. Really need to get things done around the house. I have no motivation. Better do some sewing. That's the most important right now. First I'll have to clean up after dgd goes home. She can destroy the house in no time. Going to clean out the dog food container. It's almost empty and could use a good cleaning.

Not sure what I'll cook for dinner tonight. I haven't been eating much lately. No appetite.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Another hot and humid day. The heat sucks away your energy and motivation, doesn't it? I get a little bit done in the morning and then "poof".

Got a PT appt this afternoon. Going to water the garden with the last of the rain that collected in the trash can, then DH will have to hook up the hoses.

Making a big salad for dinner. Lettuce, cold veggies, can of tuna on top. Going to start some beets in the oven before I leave. They can slow-cook while I am out.

DH fixed my phone yesterday. Took it apart and replaced the battery. He had to order a special tool, but it was cheaper than a trip to a phone store and nobody tried to sell me a new phone.

Damn cats are fighting again. We have a nice male stray, doesn't cause problems, just wants to sleep in the shade on the deck, and a young male who comes around and bothers everyone. Tries it on with the girls, picks a fight with the other cat. Hormones, you know.

Hope everyone keeps cool.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
lol yes like most young males.. there is a law they have to be fixed but people don't cus same ones come by causing trouble. stray cats don't last long here hit by cars, taken to shelter or eaten by coyotes. good savings on the phone ch!

Thanks energy getting better just covid reset my time of the month and made it really bad again. think mid 50s is too old for this ! lol allergies of course ..ds is sneezing a lot.. hit his head on his knee sitting on the couch last night feet up during one.

jett hope you feel better! what is the going rate for tooth fairy now and days?. .I was a buck or two but then grandma gave them a lot lol but not every tooth. found out too younger generation thought it was sick to keep teeth and you compost them.. one reason left that online group.

Rujerro.. get him to check out askamanager she has lots of good tips for work stuff. and the letters lol oy when you think you have worked with some interesting coworkers!. Here you can't go door to door for jobs anymore. unless you see sign in window but most post ads and mcds etc all online. Sm places family or they ask friends do you know anyone etc. she just needs to do it and I need to do the same as you just lack energy for that argument. though she had her first shot so getting better. discovered cus of the change of schedules w covid 10 weeks at a time 2 subjects high school won't be over until end of the month instead of reg middle of the month.

rain and sun here but not hot just nice. rained this morning I found out going to throw out old burritos for the crows cus was sunny. trying to motivate myself to do online work. will do last 2 stores tomorrow after breakfast with a friend. not motivated to clean either lol at the point of the carpet sweeper can't do the job w cat hair etc. of course there is always housework , yardwork if you look for it. the rain was enough so don't need to water. did inside plants yesterday.

last night was wendys..they keep mailing coupons..I always get a salad. popeyes just opened near me so want to try but will wait a week or so while they get the bugs out. so takeout pizza tonight from our favorite family place.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Good morning. Cooler temps and rain all day. Just going to stay inside and sew/knit. Days like this make me sleepy.:sleep: Hubby is off work and may decide to cook supper, or leftovers or salad. Found my pedometer and started wearing it this morning, just to check. Maybe get up and walk laps in the house whenever I want to sleep instead. Have a good weekend.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Another hot and steamy day. Chance of rain this evening, I'll believe it when I see it. Temps in the 90+ range supposed to continue through next week at least, so I plan to revamp menu plans for less cooking. If anyone has a good favorite meal that doesn't take a lot of cooking or prep, please share. Yes, salads are easy, but we get tired of them after a while.

Don't need to be anywhere today, so it'll be a quiet day at home. Need to run a load of laundry. Need to clean out DH's car and put gas in it this weekend. Have one baby quilt for the guild outreach to finish. Still have cherries to pit and freeze. I think I can get the last 2 pints today.

Stray cats aren't allowed here, but try telling that to the cats. People abandon them, too. I have neutered the females at least. Can't trap the males, they are too wary, won't come up and take the bait.

M, mid 50's is too old for that, you can get pills that stop it, you know. Talk to your doctor. I did that in my 30's, kept me from going nuts. Some doctors don't like to prescribe it unless there's a "need", but IMO nobody needs to keep having a cycle after age 40 unless actively trying to get pregnant.

Probably leftovers for supper tonight. Enough for a couple of meals in the fridge. I don't feel like cooking anything fancy.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Yes, hot and humid. Rain later, but we'll see. Last night they said severe storms. Okay, sure, whatever. Going to try and get out before the "storms" come. Not feeling great this morning, so slow moving. I think it's my sleep schedule. Dh gets home late and I usually stay up until he gets home. At least the dogs are sleeping through the night. Did prep a couple of shirts for dh. Just need to sew in the extra fabric for the arms and hem the length. They were way too long.

Martha - do you take hormone replacement? If so, that could be causing you to have cycles. That happened with my mom. She stopped taking the HRT. Never took anything. I haven't either. Not even going to try that.

We have lots of stray cats here. We have a shelter nearby and they are horrible about taking in lost or surrendered pets. I think people go there and just dump them. I think some end up in our neighborhood. I've taken in two strays. One stays in and the other comes and goes, but always comes in at night. There are several others around here. The one that goes out doesn't like a few of the other cats. One we thought was pregnant, turns out to be male. Miss Stray really hates that cat. We have to chase him away. At night we hear cats fighting all the time.

Just going to go and pick up a few things I need for dinners next week. This week worked well. Dh had plenty of food and said he's lost a few pounds. Going to make the egg muffin cups again. Maybe baked oatmeal. Next week, I'll make some chicken enchiladas, fried rice and maybe swedish meatballs for Sunday. Maybe a tuna pasta salad for next week too.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Stuffed peppers - I microwave the peppers in covered dish w/ a little water, then stuff w/ leftover rice, cheese, chopped meat, salsa etc. Then reheat the stuffed peppers in microwave.
Linguine w/ clam sauce (canned clams). Seriously, so good. Or shrimp scampi. Or pesto.
Ratatouille done in large skillet on the stove. Lots of different vegs but it is mostly wash & slice. Then douse all w/ olive oil and let simmer. Serve w/ pasta.
Baked potato (microwave) covered w/ whatever is on hand like chili, bacon, ham, cheese, creamed spinach.
Couscous is a super-fast pasta alternative. I also like orzo because it cooks so quickly. I make a skillet dish with chicken, orzo, spinach and parmesan. Many things that recipe calls for heating in oven can be cooked in covered skillet or Dutch oven on the stove instead.
I have cooked a whole roaster chicken in the crockpot successfully. Easy and you get a lot of meat for other uses.
I have a cornbread recipe for the microwave that works reasonably well using plastic microwave cake pans. Texture is a bit different but taste is fine.
Tabbouleh or cold lentil salads. Or pasta salads.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The ribs in the sf sauce came out good. Everyone seemed to like them and I didn't have any GI issues and nobody had any either.

Here's a funny story. It was DH's grandmother's birthday. I sent her sugarfree chocolates from a online lady. Grandma loved them. Her daughters lived with her and the next time I called, I was told not to send Grandma anymore chocolates as the horrid gas that she had was too intense. I have no idea how much she ate or the sugar alcohol content !
The tea store didn't call DS2 back so he's filling out more job applications.

We inherited a window air conditioner and I tried giving it away. No luck. I put it on Craigslist for barter and some people wanted to trade. I'll get a few coins for it and will drop it off today.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Overcast and wet outside. Yesterday we got 1.5" of rain apparently. I'm knitting a chemo hat w/ a different yarn I never tried before. I like how it is turning out. Hoping I can get 4 hats from this skein, we'll see. A bit more costly than the kind I usually buy but could be worth while. Hubby is attending a memorial service this evening so leftovers for me.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Had a good amount of rain yesterday after all. Still cool out but supposed to clear and get hot and sticky. Going out to a craft show and then lunch with a friend I haven't seen in a couple of years. Her kids are old enough now that she can leave them with a sitter for a few hours.

Went to put cherries in the freezer last night and it had died again. No meat in there this time, but frozen vegs were all soggy. May have ruined some of them this time. I hadn't put much back in there after last week's failure. DH says the 2nd outlet he used failed as well. We have old wiring. Fortunately the garage is not finished so it's something he can fix himself.... if he gets motivated. Now my large freezer is so crammed full I can't find anything.

Spent some time yesterday working up a menu plan using only what is in the house (thanks for the ideas Dlr) that requires minimal or no cooking. Supposed to continue having 90F temps for the next week or two at least. Don't have much energy or appetite by the time supper rolls around. Going to grill some cheap steak tonight and steam brussels sprouts.

Rujerro, some of that SF candy can hit hard if you eat too much. Had to take it away from a friend's father once. Told him 1-2 pieces at most, but he could not stop eating it. He kept going back for "one more piece". Hope DS2 finds a job soon. I remember at that age it could be nothing for weeks and then a bunch of offers at once.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I am sure he will find something! sometimes shops aren't proactive enough or want to see how busy they are first. ch marinated chicken etc is our go to ..kebabs ..roasted veggies on the bbq. have a special pan. I know you can bbq pizza but haven't tried it.

No not on hormones etc. don't even do much soy etc. like drinking soy milk cus extra hormones I don't need. first bad after kids cus fibroid had to go on iron pills. apparently normal in our family to go to mid 50s and have kids in 40s as my mom reminded me as teen ..don't trust boys and never take a chance lol she is one of 11. had gotten better and could see the end coming but getting covid seemed to reset to previous. so fingers crossed one time. I did go to doc in 2019 before my trip and they gave me the pills just w one hormone ..the one you give breast feeding moms. which I had never had cus you can get pregnant easy on it. getting pregnant was never a issue lol. well that was very short lived made it worse so nope. plus the doc who was younger then the years I have been having a period mansplaining periods to me while having one.. you know how that went..he lived lol

yes rained here too. sunny w clouds... had gone out for breakfast at ihop w friend and then work at stores. got dd and friend .same friends dd since the other store is in a mall so girls could hang out. picked up bread milk etc. cats upset cus only whiskas dry food. they all checked w me to see if there was any options a couple of times. all put out. but was too sore and tired to go upstairs for cat food at walmart. more stock then I thought so took longer. plus dealing with bookkeeping inbetween w other job. then mcds drive though hang with friend for a while and home late. dd found clearance computer mice so got 3 for $3 each I go though mice lol

suppose to get rid of my car today and get insurance transferred. not sure what time yet plus can bring the fake flowers sitting here for her that I got a grab bag micheals sale. she has stuff for me too. so will see. of course always laundry and housework. maybe get the boys to chop some stuff this weekend in the garden that needs it. sheets need changing too cus pollen etc you can tell. no idea what is for dinner. found swanson dinners w ham at walmart so maybe that. never saw that before here. not healthy lol but different.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Good morning. Have spent the last week trying to figure out new primary care physician. Finally booked appointment about a week out. Big medical group so everything online, hopefully it goes smooth. I'm not complicated but do need some annual attention. It helped that I sorted all my medical papers a couple weeks ago.
Hubby plans to grill London Broil for supper. I have stuff to make potato salad. Fridge is full because I am keeping all the bread in there also. There is yard work, but maybe - maybe not. Yesterday I bleached an old white cotton cardigan and changed the buttons, it looks almost new. :) I hope everyone has a good day.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
The sun is shining. Poor dh is at work again. They had a power outage since 730 last night. They just showed up to replace a transformer. The tenant was griping about him not being there. They didn't inform in until almost 2 hours later. He got there as quick as possible. Was on the phone with the power company, the building, trying to get things in order. Wanting someone to do a few things until he could get there, but no, they had to complain and say we need you here now. I think they finally realized what dh was trying to do, but they think they know more than he does. Nope. Anyway, he's back in this morning. All the AC units will need to be reset. Not a fun weekend.

Dh did get the lawn mowed, but not edged. I guess we're getting a new mower. When we talked about it before, we told ds he could have the old one. Well, we thought we'd keep this one, but ds asked about it, so we ordered one yesterday. Hopefully it comes. If not, dh will be using a push mower. The things we do for our kids. Dgd spent the night. She is not one to take out to eat. I couldn't enjoy the food. She can't sit still and then likes to act goofy. I think tomorrow, I'm going to take a long nap.

Going to make some baked oatmeal and egg muffin cups for dh. He said he had plenty of food all week. Making Swedish meatballs in the crockpot for dinner. I'll make some rice for those that don't want noodles and some kind of veggie. I really don't care anymore if the girls eat. I try to have something for them. If they don't want to eat, oh well.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Another hot and steamy day. I went out to the garden while DH made breakfast. Water sprinkler is set up and seems to be working. DH had to take the timer apart and fix it. No more rain in the forecast for us. Planted 2 more tomatoes. Going to give away the rest of the plants tonight. Meeting friends for our monthly potluck dinner. I'm going to make a corn, tomato, and bean salad to take. No cooking.

Have to get DH's car ready for tomorrow, clean it out and gas it up. Taking a road trip with a friend. Quilt guild is doing a shopping trip, but we have to drive ourselves, no shared bus. Supposed to get up to 94 tomorrow, want to be sure we don't break down on the highway with nothing but cornfields around us. Been a while since our last trip, trying to remember everything we need.... cash, sunglasses, snacks, first aid kit, etc.

Laundry and the usual stuff to do, too. Hope folks are having a good weekend.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
CH don't forget water in cooler...maybe some fruit....and if you do break down please be careful who you trust....I carry a taser and pepper spray in my purse.
It's hot here again. Didn't feel well last night so slept really late today. Husband had to go pick up an auction win for me as I just didn't feel that great....I just feel "off." Walking around the house a lot. My goal is 6000 steps but have been going over that for the last week...even did 10,300 one day....guess my body not use to it.
Have nothing planned for today....will have leftover pizza for dinner.
dlrcpa hope your son finds a job....God has a plan for him....My grandson just started a new job as a server in a nice restaurant. He was doing Uber Eats but he said people are getting crazy driving so he doesn't want to do that...someone rear ended his new car and he wasn't happy about that...Even tho he has no contact with the people he delivers to, I am glad he gave that up....lots of crazies....
Made a pizza roll the other day cause I had pizza dough I needed to use up and it came out pretty darn good in spite of the fact I left in oven too long....I heard the ding of the timer but it didn't click with me that I had stuff in oven....I swear getting old and forgetful....scary.
Got to vacuum sometime today....and move some boxes from living room....picked up a couple cases of Crayola Markers and notebooks for my shoeboxes....Got the cutest lama keychains last week...just couldn't pass them up....I tried adding a picture and hope it works....
Hope everyone has a great week....

Attachments

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Thanks BW. Fluids in the car were all low, so I took the car to one of those quick oil change places. They were so busy.... was nearly 2 hours before I got through, but battery is checked, and tires, etc. Anything that goes wrong won't be because I didn't prepare. Only a few hours of driving, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
DS2 is applying to more jobs.
We went to visit DS1 and he seems happy in his place. He has curtains pulled as it faces the sunny South. We went for a walk into town for coffee and DS2 got dinner. Lots of nice shops and we want to get back and check them out. DS2 saw a coin store.
Leftover ham for dinner and bbq ribs.

861 - 880 of 904 Posts