Frugal Village Forums banner
1281 - 1300 of 1324 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
lol Zhoen I feel you..non .. ds comes home from school hour later .. I am dealing with the dishwasher and telling him you know when you were away w friend we only had to run dishwasher every other day .. as he was putting 3 dishes and a glass in the sink. plus the empty chinese food containers..then dinner and then lol. I like switching out decor ..michaels clearance is everything lol Esp Halloween. have as much halloween as xmas! I just bought inflatable easter eggs so I have an inflatable for each holiday except thanksgiving lol. now not overdone just enough inside to be festive. halloween inflatables lol well yard full!!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Grocery store today, got a few deals. Another 3 lbs ground turkey, should make into heat&eat before freezing. Thunderstorms last night so not much sleep because dog2 barks at every thunder. Cooler but overcast and wet outside and so tired of all the mosquito bites. There is leftover beef and roasted potatoes, hubby may go for that -vs- whatever I make with turkey. Bread in the machine since I need to use up buttermilk. I resisted buying bagels. 😋 Have a good day.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Cool and sunny this morning, going to warm up more. Waiting on a package I have to sign for, then going out if there's time. Still have to get a few things out of DH's car left from the trip.

Cats threw up this morning, so part of the kitchen floor got scrubbed, at least.

M, I understand about teenage boys and dishes. DH has to have a clean spoon for every cup of tea or coffee. I'm like, nothing wrong with that spoon you used an hour ago, rinse it off if you have to.

Dlr, that leftover pot roast sounds so good....

Chicken and zucchini for dinner. May throw it on the grill if the mosquitoes will allow me. Tomato and cucumber salad on the side.

Hope everyone is enjoying the final days of summer.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Sun is shining today. I should feel happy, but I'm not. I'm drained. Dgd has been here so much the past week. I'm really tired and mentally, I'm just not here. Luckily she goes to nana's this weekend, so we'll have a quiet weekend. It should be a time to get a lot done, but I have a feeling we'll spend most of it sleeping. That's what happened the last time she was gone. But it was much needed.

I still have some fall decor to put up. I need to get my tub out of the basement. I bought a few new things this year. I usually just decorate for Halloween, then a few Thanksgiving and then Christmas. I love snowmen. I put them up for Christmas and usually leave them out until March. Some of the youtube videos I watch, the girls have been putting up their fall decor. Looks so pretty. I can't handle that much clutter. Just a few things here and there. I ended up ordering a milk can vase. I had seen one online at dollar general, but they still have the same cart full of boxes sitting in the aisle for the past 3 weeks. I got impatient. This one is better because I can use it year round and just swap out the flowers. Dgd loves to decorate, but her idea is to tape a bunch of homemade things on the wall. She's not into the pretty things on the shelf.

After she goes home, I'll do some more laundry and try to get the mounds folded that are clean. Dh wants so bread, so I'll make him his Keto bread. It's not too hard to do. Not sure what I'll fix for dinner. Last night I did a pork tenderloin in the instant pot and some roasted cauliflower and cooked the spinach in the fridge. If there are leftovers I may not cook.

·
Super Moderator
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,285 ·
I remember my first "real" job - $2. an hour! back in 1973.

Bought a pair of jeans on Ebay, $10 with free shipping. And free returns if I don't like it. Also just bought 500 sheets of printer paper on Ebay for $6 with free shipping. I don't know how they do it, we'll see. Same stuff that WM sells for $4. It's worth $2 to me to not have to go to WM, I hate that place.
Got the paper today, they dropshipped from WM. Not sure how WM feels about an Ebay seller using them for free shipping, I guess they have ways to pick up on things like that.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Good morning. Made a nice turkey & apple meatloaf for supper last night, I will make that recipe again. Brushed dog1, think I will give him a bath later today, it has been 2 months. Dog2 will just get brushing and his ears cleaned. Should work on the yard Saturday, it is going to be hot again Sunday-Wednesday. :( Dog club friend is having her yard re-landscaped and I can get some free plants (hosta and azaleas) she won't be keeping. So trying to figure out where I can place them in my back yard which is shady. I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Cool and grey this morning though rain is not expected.

Dlr, glad you are finding turkey on sale. I like to mix it with beef to lighten the fat and calories. We have Italian sausage flavored turkey on sale this week, I might try that, and I hope it's not filled with red pepper flakes.

Going out to run some errands and just generally get out of the house for a while. Got a few coupons for free lunch or $20 off at restaurants that I want to use before they expire.

Asian dumplings and fresh spring rolls for dinner tonight.

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Sun is shining now. It will be a quiet weekend with dgd gone to her nana's house. Not even doing Sunday dinner with them. Dil is depressed because she had to come back, ds is in a bad mood because he had to go, the girls are wound up from sitting in the car for 3 hours. I can't handle the nonsense after they come back. Keep it at your house.

I have some dishes to do. Knives, pots etc. that don't go in the dishwasher. It will be a good weekend to catch up on laundry and do things like blankets. Still have my mounds to fold. Going to hang some fall decor and dig out some of the other stuff from the basement. Not ready to put up anything for Halloween. That can wait. I usually dread fall, but this year, I'm excited for it. Not sure why.

I may try to go get my hair trimmed today or tomorrow. Going to look at the pantry and see what I need to stock up on. Dinner tonight with either be steak or chicken. We'll see what dh feels like.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Do y'all remember back in the 90's and 00's when companies were trying to play down "downsizing" by calling it "right-sizing"?

That is what I am doing today... trying to convince myself that we are doing the right thing... DD17 started her senior year of HS yesterday. And today, as soon as the bus arrived at school, they called the ambulance (again) because she was asleep and un-rousable (again.) SOooooo, I decided we cannot live this way, and we are withdrawing her from the full-day "special program" 25 miles from our house and transferring her back to our local school, 1 block from here doing only a part-day program. It took her a moment to weigh the pros and cons, but she's on board with it now and so is her dad. The truth is, the support she was supposedly receiving in that program was minimal and FAR outweighed by the extra stresses of bussing her across town every day.

If she has to walk to school, she can't fall asleep on the bus. If she's only going to school for a class or two each morning, she can't fall asleep during her lunch break. And if she DOES crash out and need us to intervene, we'd rather be 3 minutes away than 30.

BUT... this hurts, because it renews the grieving process for that perfect life we all dream of for our child when we are pregnant. It brings back ghosts of the "shoulds." She "should" be driving now, working, dreaming of some fancy college we could only afford if she was an over-achiever with crazy scholarships... If she wanted to do half-days, it "should" be because she is doing some sort of internship because of her brilliance in some field of study or because she was doing a work-study program like her aunt and I both did... not because she does not have the physical resiliency to tolerate a full day of classes.

She only NEEDS English and Math this year, aside from that she has met all her other requirements, and her full day program was a TON of filler classes. Ultimately, doing the bare minimum at this point is our best chance for her to physically tolerate school and graduate on time in June... but my heart is aching all the same.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Z I am sorry this is upsetting for you. Good that your daughter can graduate on time with a few more credits. There is still a pandemic after all. Self-study may not work for everyone but there are many things available via the internet.
Hubby is on a home improvement tear. He does not have work until next Friday. Snowblower repair guy today. Plumber Monday to change/fix things. Handyman said he will do an estimate for deck repair. Not going to quibble, repair is cheaper than a new deck. (The "deck" company responded they did not do repairs.) Someone will look at the motorcycle Sunday, 🤞 hope serious buyer. He went to Lowe's to look at LED under-counter lights, going to switch from fluorescent to LED in the kitchen. Will need electrician once we buy them.
Cool weather ends after today. I worked in the yard yesterday and will again today, clearing undergrowth in the back. There are wild roses that never bloom (too shady) but going to prune back, maybe move them in future.
Have a good day.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Cool and sunny today, going to warm up into a perfect afternoon. Doing a group zoom call with friends later.

Zhoen, sorry to hear of your troubles, but glad that DD is still able to go to school and is on track to graduate. That is a huge accomplishment that many kids without problems don't achieve.

Dlr, hope all the home improvement projects come out well. IMO, finding a good repairman is a pain in the ass.

Jetts, enjoy your quiet weekend. Family is better with boundaries.

Worked out the menu plan for next week, wont even have to go for milk. Just convince myself to avoid further shopping. Spent ~65 at Trader Joe's yesterday on top of 120 Monday that ought to keep us for weeks. Sometime soon I should update my freezer inventory, so I know exactly what I've got.

Dinner tonight is pork chops and spinach.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Super Moderator
20,054 Posts
He went to Lowe's to look at LED under-counter lights, going to switch from fluorescent to LED in the kitchen. Will need electrician once we buy them.
We put in undercabinet LED lights. They just plug into any available outlet, no wiring required. They're easy to install, just 2 screws, one in each of 2 little clips the light strip clamps into. They can be ganged together to make longer runs as needed. The connecting cords were included. This pic is of the ones above our baking center. We used 2 there. I will eventually add a piece of trim to cover them in the front. The ones we just installed under actual cabinets don't show after installation. We got ours at Menards, SKU 3460612.
Food storage containers Drinkware Mason jar Shelving Shelf

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Z- I'm glad your daughter will graduate. We all learn at different paces as we are seeing with DS2. His counselor wasn't pleased with him not adhering to the designated classes per semester. And he was upset that she was mad but we told him that he needs to go at his pace, not hers. It's taking longer in terms of years, but i told DS2 that he shouldn't be in a hurry. He doesn't need to finish in record time. No competition here.
Dlrcpa- Wishing you luck on the sale!
SD- I always liked the look of under cabinet lighting. I never knew they were that easy to install. I learn so much from everyone!

I pulled the carrots and will dry the greens. I'll chop the leaves and use in soups/stews. Now I know why the horses ate them as they smell like parsley but taste like carrots. Drying and chopping basil is next. The peaches from the tree were so good.
DH smoked beef ribs. We'll make blt's and ham the next day. The freezers are dwindling....

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Thanks SD. The current fluorescents are hard-wired and planning to hard-wire the replacements. There are many options including being able to select the tone of the lights via a switch. Hubby is fussy about what he wants.
I worked on the yard, clearing underbrush in the back. Finished for now since today-Wednesday near 90. Looks good, will put down wood chips after leaves are down - November. Hubby has a phone app ("picture this") that identifies trees & shrubs by taking a photo with your phone, he identified some things I left in place. Today will just be indoor household chores. Have a good day.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
I'm jealous of your lights, Dlr. It was part of our kitchen remodel plan years ago, but DH didn't want to drill holes in the new cabinets to put them in, or run the wiring in the walls for some reason. Good job getting the yard work done, I'm waiting on it to cool down a bit more here. Maybe this week, definitely next week.

Going to do a little clean up today, rugs need shaking out, etc. It's cool and nice this morning. Potluck dinner at a friends house tonight, I'm going to bake a tomato tart with puff pastry and garden tomatoes. Other than that, might do a little sewing, I haven't gotten to many of my projects the last week or two.

Have a great day!

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Super Moderator
20,054 Posts
DLR, I can see why you would want to hard wire the new lights, since the wiring is already in.

Ru, our lights really are easy, and those particular ones aren't very expensive. They make such a difference. I hate dark work spaces. I expect we won't be going without them again if we can help it. They rank right up there with our beloved Rev-A-Shelf pullouts we put in most of our base cabinets. We're done forever with crawling on the dang floor to dig stuff out from the backs of cabinets.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Mortorcycle is sold - hooray. Hubby will cancel the insurance and related stuff today. There are still accessories and stuff he did not give the guy, I don't know what the plan is for all that. He broke a tooth yesterday so trying to see dentist to determine of a crown or implant needed. Leftovers for supper. Have a good week.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Dlr, too bad about the tooth, but yay for selling the motorcycle.

Nice today with a slight breeze, on its way to being hot later. The tomato tart came out well last night, almost like a pizza but without sauce. Going to keep that idea for next time I have too many tomatoes.

No big plans today, a few small projects to tackle.

Someone is having a birthday, so we are going out for bbq dinner tonight.

Hope everyone's week starts well.

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
It was a pretty quiet weekend until last night. Ds and oldest dgd came over to visit. Ds was actually in a good mood. Dgd was crazy. That's why I'm not liking them coming over right when they get back. She needs to settle down. Her other grandparents and family are so loud and goofy and she brings some of it back. The girls will be better today. I offered to watch the girls today why their mom goes to school. Monday's are ds' busy days for work and having to work at home with two little girls is hard for him. I don't mind watching them for a couple of hours instead of one spending the night and then the whole day. I have things to do.

We take the cat back to the vet today. I'm not expecting any good news. She's starting to shake her head. Not a lot, but more than she used to. Sometimes I look at her and she looks like she's not feeling well. We'll see what the vet says. I want to keep her as long as I can. She too young, only 5 years.

My mom called this morning. She had gone to see the kidney doctor. Said she needs to start dialysis. Not sure when that will start. I'll probably have to take her. My sister used to do all the running because she lives really close. I told my mom to let me know and it will be on my calendar and they'll have to figure something out for the girls. My sister is babysitting her grandchildren now and can't do much for them anymore.

May just stop and get chicken on the way home from the vet.

1281 - 1300 of 1324 Posts