Frugal Village Forums banner
1301 - 1320 of 1323 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Dlrcpa- Congrats on selling the motorcycle! Maybe selling the accessories can earn big $. I hope so.
Jetts- Sorry to hear about the kitty. She is so young and I hope it's not serious. I'm glad you can help your mom with the appts. Is this something that will be lifelong or can it go into remission?
CH- A tomato tart sounds good....A bit of oregano and cheese is making me think that I need to find a recipe....

I wanted to make cinnamon rolls but DS2 wasn't in the mood. So I'll make pumpkin pie instead.
I need to get a blender for the frozen peaches and will make smoothies. I have $50 in GC's for Target.

·
Super Moderator
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,302 ·
Made some muffins from my 6-muffin, 6-ingredient recipe, in the toaster oven. Added dried cranberries and whipped up the egg whites separately to make them lighter. I think it worked, they are pretty good.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Plumber never came yesterday (someone's lack of hot water trumped our planned work.) He is supposed to come this afternoon. Hubby going with me to deliver handmade items to charity this morning, we will get lunch out. Hour drive each way. Did 2 loads of laundry yesterday. Still don't feel like cooking, hopefully something from the freezer. Another dog club ZOOM call this evening, getting tired of them. A lot of talk/plans that never materialize. Nobody seems to be able to remember what was said a month ago. Club really needs new/younger members.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Looks lovely out today, I don't think the rain is going to materialize, not in any quantity anyway. Got a free teriyaki lunch bowl on the phone app for a local restaurant, going to use that today.

Dlr, a lot of clubs need new members. Hard to do when the younger generations have different values and desires. Does anyone in your group take notes and send out a newsletter, or read the notes before each meeting? Hope your drive and dinner are both good.

Rujerro, I looked at a couple of recipes online and combined them. I had leftover puff pastry so I pre-baked that, forked it in the middle so it wouldn't puff so much. Then put olive oil, cheese, softened onion and garlic, tomatoes (sliced, salted and patted with a towel to remove liquid). Topped with bouquet garni herb blend and a little parmesan.

Jo, your muffins sound good. I've always liked cranberry muffins. Maybe when cooler weather hits. I bought some dried fruit and nut snacks for our trip, and they didn't get touched. I'm thinking they'll end up in pilaf or baked goods this winter.

BBQ dinner last night was good, ate too much and we still had to bring half of it home. So there is dinner later this week I won't have to cook. We got a free piece of cake since it was a birthday, brought that home too. Tonight will be a bit lighter, roast beef dip sandwiches, sliced apples, maybe a tomato/cucumber salad. It's time to check the garden and weed again. So many weeds....

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Nice day today. Dogs are enjoying the sun on the deck. Going to run to the store for a few things dh wants. Dgd wants to make some strawberry lady bugs she saw in a magazine. Wonder why nana didn't make them with her. Need to get some more laundry going.

Took miss kitty back to the vet. We saw our favorite vet was there, so when we called in, we asked if we could see him instead. So glad we did. She has some polyps in her ear, not tumors. He brought one out that he had removed. Didn't bring her back out to us. Assumed we would leave her for surgery to remove the rest. He knows how we are about our pets. $300, but it's worth it to us. She is still so young (5yo) and is the sweetest cat. Didn't get the carrier back. It's the one that one of the dogs sleeps in at night. He did really well for the first time not being crated. Maybe we won't need to crate him anymore. He's the only one I crate at night. We'll get the carrier back when we pick up miss kitty. Not sure if she'll come home tonight. I think he said they'd keep her for a couple of days. Then she'll have to wear a cone. Stitches out in 2 weeks. So glad we asked for our favorite vet.

We did stop for chicken on the way home. Got there in time for the afternoon special. 8 piece legs and thighs for $5.99. Dgd came home and swam. May be the last time this year. We'll see. She came in and ate a bunch of pizza rolls and then we stopped to get her chicken nuggets and fries on the way home. Sis wanted some too. Tonight we'll go out for tacos. Not the healthiest food.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
That is good news Jett! They are probably keeping the carrier for when she goes home. got my second shot sat..our drive in line so slow compared to the other.. said to dh well you know when you married me you were going to be in the slowest line lol. not feeling great which I though would happen and major allergy season too. so meds. slept late. canceled going out etc. manager knows. friends wanted to go out but not up to it. took mom to cancer checkup yesterday early for both of us lol all good just standard. we stopped at asian store that has kitchen so good fresh food..got sushi and chinese food for dinner plus reg stuff needed. shrimp crackers too cus love them lol. there is chili defrosted and soup too. need dd to deal with radishes etc. I froze some tomatoes yesterday and gave mom a pint of cherry tomatoes. ate the rest. need to do laundry as last couple of days of going to do it but kids were using it so but at least they are doing it lol

chilly today think time for heat on. only 60 outside but 70 inside so had to reset mode on thermostat.. like the old one just turn the dial. makes cats happy too lol watching cannon all the actors were on our screens back in the day. this esp..guy from barney miller etc. finally got the new tv remote so no having to push down hard on the buttons saves on the hands. have online stuff to do so will take care of that. clean up a bit. you know how it is ..if you don't do a bit a day then gets out of hand and family doesn't notice things. still need to fall decor but not today.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have been doing a bit too much online shopping the past few days, but the Pinterest AI knows me so well and keeps showing me wonderful things!!! It's nice to be understood (by a bot...) I bought funny socks that I had saved to a wishlist a while back that will be a Christmas gift for DD14, as well as a punch embroidery set. I've never seen that before, but it looks cool, and she is SO into fashion and restyling things, I hope she'll have fun with it.

Then, I bought myself some rainbow metal grapefruit spoons that have been on my wishlist forever... just because I wanted them. (And bought a BEAUTIFUL red grapefruit that will be breakfast tomorrow-- but that wasn't online...) And finally, since I keep losing my metal yarn needles (I break the plastic ones too easily) I splurged on a very cute magnetic needle-keeper tin. (It's basically a modified business card holder.) FWIW, I looked at different make-your-own designs and couldn't find anything I loved, and I DID check the thrifts for something I could add a magnet to... but in the end I spent money and got something I think I'll love instead of spending time and materials for something I won't...

Besides, I get so busy that I don't have time to track the packages, so when one shows up, it's a lovely surprise!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Zhoen- would an ad blocker work? I think my kid put one on this pc that he gave me because I don't see ads...Not that I'm complaining...
Jetts- Glad to hear about the kitty!
Martha- We have a huge asian market here in the city. DH likes the frozen shrimp rolls and chicken rice. I've seen the shrimp crackers but haven't tried them. I like the wasabi dried peas.

I made scalloped potatoes and ham for dinner and a pumpkin pie. DH said the stores don't have pumpkin but I told him that I have quite a bit.... DH said he will make breakfast burritos with the ham. I'll make chicken soup tomorrow as I thawed some chicken thighs.

I got a blender, dental floss and hair gel with the $50 gc to Target. Free shipping too.

Saw this article about inflation at Kroger:

"Cincinnati-based Kroger Co., which had $132 billion in sales last year, says inflation is running hotter than management previously anticipated and that expectations are now for prices to rise 2% to 3% over the second half of this year.
Kroger is “passing along higher cost to the customer where it makes sense to do so,” said CFO Gary Millerchip on the company’s second-quarter earnings call on Friday. (read more)

The reason for more inflation is not too difficult to understand. Fresh foods show fast price increases immediately because they have almost no pre-existing inventory. Fresh foods go from field to fork the fastest, and price increases show up immediately. The same applies to restaurants.
However, processed foods and shelf stable foods have a deeper inventory, the turns on that inventory take longer, and as a consequence, it takes longer for the price increases to show up. Millerchip is simply saying the total supply chain price increases are going to hit, and they are going to hit even harder than the last few months, as the new processed inventory carries a higher cost."

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Ruj that is a good explanation of why price increases differ in speed, thanks. Going to continue stocking up on shelf-stable when I see sales. Probably time for another Target order.
Plumbing tasks completed. Hubby was shocked at the bill, me too. Driveway sealer on Saturday as long as weather holds OK. Have not heard from the handyman regarding the deck repair cost or schedule.
Dropped off charity items and the lady had a bag of donated yarn for me to work with, more hats will be made, already started one. I went in CVS next door and used $2 Extrabucks to buy a case of water for $1.01 cash, and got another $2 Extrabucks printed out with the receipt. They want to keep you coming back.
Weather should cool off 10 degrees tomorrow along with some rain. Maybe I will feel like cooking when it's not so hot. Hubby may go shopping, he is low on the items he likes but I don't eat. I buy them if I am in the store anyway but I don't make a special trip for his stuff. Exercise class at 10 then just puttering around the house. Have a good day.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Jetts, that is good news about the cat. Glad she is going to be ok. Hope the kids enjoy the last few days of summer.

M, glad you were able to get your 2nd shot. Hope you feel better soon. 2nd was worse for me, but everyone is different.

Zhoen, I have those spoons, too! They're fun. I love grapefruit in the winter.

Ruj, I've been seeing warnings about price increases and inflation for a couple months now. Trying to keep my pantry and freezer stocked up when there's a sale. Only bought half-n-half and cat food this week, glad I did not get more. This week's sale is better. Target had a lot of canned goods marked down yesterday, but nothing I'd buy was left on the shelves.

Cool this morning but supposed to warm up to mid 80's. Should be a nice day. Next week we start getting nights in the 40-50 range. Enjoying having the windows open. Going to take a look at the new grocery ad and see what is worth adding to the list. Need to do a freezer inventory, too.

Dinner is supposed to be fish tacos and slaw. May open a can of beans.

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Nice, sunny, beautiful day!

Miss kitty is doing well. They were able to remove the tumor. I guess it was a tumor, but a benign one. We'll pick her up this afternoon. Dh wants to go with me to get her.

Not sure if I'm watching dgds today while mom goes to school. I offered, to let my son have a break so he can work. I guess I'll know if they show up. Will continue working on laundry today. It's slow going. Dryer takes 2-3 cycles to dry towels and blankets. I don't run the dryer when I'm not home, so that slows it down even more.

Waiting for the cooler temps next week to weed my front flower bed. The areas I put down a thick layer of mulch doesn't have grass growing in it. The other side does. Got more mulch to do that.

Looking at replacing the carpet in the house. I've talked about it before, but dh now wants wood floors. After having 4 sick dogs, it would be so much easier to clean up if it was wood. The carpet needs to be shampooed. It's gross. I'll get a few area rugs and throw rugs. I've seen a lot of ads for these washable rugs, but they seem expensive.

Not sure on dinner. It will either be salad or egg roll in a bowl.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone! This is my third post on the forum. I haven’t read everyone’s posts on the thread, but I have read the past few days worth. We moved cross country 1 1/2 years ago. We are still renovating our new-to-us home. It’s a small bilevel. We just finished a kitchen renovation for about $15,000 CAD, and paid all cash. I am very happy with that. Our last kitchen renovation out west was $35,000. Not frugal.

i found Hope and Larry Ware videos on YouTube (Under the Median) and have been watching ones I think are pertinent. Hubby and I have just started having budget meetings monthly. Normally we would just do it whenever one or the other of us thought about it. But things were slipping through the cracks that way. By having a regular date to get together we can catch little things before they become big things.

One of the things I’ve done most of my 30+ years of being frugal is a monthly food inventory. Though sometimes it stretched to every two months! I did one yesterday. I made a menu based on what’s in the house.

Today I’ve been baking and cooking. We were short beans in the deep freeze, so I cooked up kidney beans this morning, and am cooking garbanzo beans now. I also baked cornbread for the freezer. Then I made granola bars for an upcoming bicycle trip Hubby is going on with relatives. What he didn’t want I packaged up for the relatives. I’m currently baking French bread, but burned the top. It’s a new oven and I’m not used to it.

Tonight’s supper will be leftover chicken marinara sauce and pasta.

I’m looking forward to learning and reading more from all of you. See you around the forum!🙂

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Zhoen- would an ad blocker work? I think my kid put one on this pc that he gave me because I don't see ads...Not that
Bite your tongue!!! I LIKE seeing pretty things! :)

Nice, sunny, beautiful day!

Miss kitty is doing well. They were able to remove the tumor. I guess it was a tumor, but a benign one.

Dryer takes 2-3 cycles to dry towels and blankets. I don't run the dryer when I'm not home, so that slows it down even more.
Great news about the cat!!!

Here it's still so humid that if you don't pull the clothes out of the dryer quickly, they get damp again from the moisture in the air that comes in through the vent!!! :rolleyes:

Hi everyone!
Hi Red! Sounds like you've been super productive!!! Nice to meet you!

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Red! Sounds like you've been super productive!!! Nice to meet you!
Thanks @Zhoen! I am on a roll today. I just finished packaging up 5 - 2 cup bags of kidney beans and 5- 2 cup bags of chickpeas. My French bread, while scorched on top, was perfectly edible. I decided to wait until tomorrow to make tortillas and Nanaimo bars.

I’m currently trying to find ways to save on groceries. They’re getting very expensive here. I’m trying sprouting. I have a lot of sprouting seed. I anticipate using a lot of it this winter, as I won’t pay $3 CAD for a ratty looking head of lettuce! I’ve also been making my own yogurt for about 9 cents for half a cup, I figure, without the cost of electricity figured in. I want to figure out more things to do to save money. I’m retired. I have the time.

We’re also revamping our dining out budget. We’ve finally decided we actually need to budget for this. We do it with family and friends anyways. Mostly they pay for us, but I feel bad about living off their largesse. So we gave ourselves $75 CAD/month for dining out. Up here where I live that’s one evening out for two people, with a three course meal and one drink. Sad…I know. Dining out is expensive here. Fast food is cheaper. Neither is healthy for us.

I decided to explore the art of picnicing as a way to eat out for less. To that end I took out a bunch of books from the public library on food for picnics etc. I made a short list of new recipes and old standbys to try. Hubby and I want to explore our provincial parks (for entertainment and exercise), which are free, and take picnics to eat.

Lots going on frugally right now…which is why I decided to be more active here.

@jettsmom, I’m glad your kitty is going to be okay. Pets are family. It’s hard on everyone when they aren’t well. We don’t have pets. But if I had one, it would be a cat!

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Welcome, Redspruce. Sounds like you have a lot of good plans. I like to keep pre-cooked foods on hand in the freezer, too.

DH and I seldom eat out these days, usually get it to go. And we rarely eat 3 courses any more. Appetizers and dessert are just unwanted fat and calories these days. But I understand that families create social obligations and it can be hard to keep spending down. Hope you have good weather for the picnics.

I got a shopping list made today, and started on the freezer inventory. The weather stayed nice enough we had windows open all day without the AC on.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
RedSpruce- Welcome! This is a great forum and so much going on right now! Enjoy!
Z- LOL

I have the crockpot going. I thawed some chicken thighs and threw in a old bag of carrots (DS2 ate most of them), some broth, celery and a bag of mix...It will cook slow for hours.

I made some $ on swagbucks and got a new facial cleanser and cream. Most are so drying and I need something that will clean and make me look younger. Is that possible?

We'll visit DS1 today for lunch and discuss interest rates on the condo. We'd like to lock in a low rate but that means the payment goes up since it's a 15 year fixed rate. He rents from us and may not want to pay more since he is covering all of the payment in hopes to buy it....DH will cover the increase in payment but once DS1 buys it, the extra increase will be factored into the total cost. It's still a wash since the final bank payment would be lowered since the monthly increase for the fixed term balances it. We don't make any $ from the rental of this unit. It was for DS1 to live in and own when he's ready. He couldn't get the loan for it and the price was too good to pass up........

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Hi RedSpruce. Coincidentally I am cooking pinto beans today in the crock pot for refried bean dip. I love it, hubby won't touch it. We could have burgers or shrimp risotto for supper, whichever hubby will grill/cook.
CH that is nice you can leave your windows open now, still too warm & humid here. Cooler and overcast now, rain coming later today.Yesterday trimmed 3" off my hair, looks so much better. Finished knitting a chemo hat and started a child's hat. Ball of yarn (donated) was unlabeled but I think it is Caron Simply Soft Tweed in brown. It truly is soft, I hope there is enough to finish the hat. Zhoen - probably what you were wanting for your daughter's accessories. Apparently Walmart carries it, Michaels and JoAnn do not seem to. I hope everyone's day goes well.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Another beautiful morning here. Windows open, birds chirping. Everything is still very green, but you can see the small signs, grass going brown on the tips, a yellow leaf here and there. Next week it's really going to cool down.

GB, what a great buy on chicken! Hope you get lots. I see ground turkey on sale here and estimate I can fit 4 packs in the freezer. Chili season is coming, DH has been asking for it. Also Aldi has their boneless turkey breast again, I want to get two of those. They are easy and just the right size for two.

Drying some peppers from the garden. DH won't eat them and too many come ripe at once. The sweet peppers I can use later in sloppy joe mix, and the hot ones I make my own pepper flakes from.

Got a coupon for a free single-serve pizza, plan to pick that up for lunch. Dinner is lemon chicken, with peas and/or yellow squash.

Have a nice day!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Sunny today. Should be nice. Still a little too warm for me to work outside. Waiting for next week, when the highs are supposed to be in the 70's.

Miss kitty didn't get to come home last night. They said her ear was still bleeding too much. Just called this morning and she's ready to come home. I have dgd here, not sure if I want to take her with me. It gets so busy there. Parking is a nightmare.

Won't be going anywhere for a couple of days. Staying home to watch Miss kitty. Need to keep the dogs away from her ear. One dog loves to lick her ear. She should be wearing a cone for a few days. I could lock her in the bedroom if I need to go somewhere, but I can plan grocery shopping/pickups for when dh gets home.

We don't go "out" to eat very often. We get drive thru and carry out. Sometimes we park somewhere and eat in the car. We found that we really enjoy that, more than sitting in a restaurant. Dinner tonight will be egg roll in a bowl, unless dh says otherwise.

1301 - 1320 of 1323 Posts