Frugal Village Forums banner
1401 - 1420 of 1500 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Peg, hope you feel better.
Ruj, sounds like you got a lot done. Could you put cement stain/sealer on the floor and get some area rugs temporarily? Home Depot discusses the paint/stains. Some give a very clean look.
Did not sleep well so I don't know how much I will accomplish today. Layered and pinned 2 36" quilts for charity yesterday and assembled a random 9-patch 36" top. Next charity drop-off is Oct 19th but I don't think I will push to get ready for that, so November. I need to be ready to transplant when my friend's yard gets dug up, it will be a lot of work.
Burritos for supper using sale ground turkey. I would like to make gingerbread biscotti, they keep really well.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Ruj, hope you are able to get those window wells taken care of before the problem happens again. Glad you were not hurt from falling off the chair. When we did our basement last year we had the floor sealed, and put carpet tiles down, large ones that are 2 or 3ft across. It looks nice.

I need to get out to the garden this morning, weed and pick tomatoes and chard. We didn't get any rain any of the 3 days last week it was predicted, so the sprinkler hose has to be set up again. I'll be picking tomatoes for a few more weeks.

Dlr, gingerbread sounds delicious. I've never tried biscotti, but I'll make cookies once in a while.

Been wanting to bake some cookies or something but the last couple days have been chaos. I did at least get part of the big freezer inventoried yesterday, and am workig on a meal plan for the next ten days or so. Still have vegs in the fridge, so I can shop later next week. Sunny and ~80-ish all next week, not summer any more and not fall yet. Will have a salad or two, but no heavy cooking.

Very likely getting dinner out tonight. DH hasn't decided what.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Hope you feel better Bookworm! Yikes Rujerro! hope you are ok! Has been raining here off and on trying to be sunny but is fall weather. got most of the fall decor up. Needs more organizing but later. Most Halloween stuff goes up after dh bday mid month. Thanksgiving here next weekend so sales on ham and turkey etc. Will get a ham cus that is what the family wants. Plus anything else which is a good deal. Should do a pantry challenge! Getting csa again this tuesday too so swapping somethings I don't want for others like kale for beets. Has been busy with work etc esp w stat holidays so have things due.

Got ds to pick all the green tomatoes off the bushes so they are turning red inside. Did a family sleepover at a fort in a fancy tent ..not really camping which works for us. kids got campfire etc. bought food cus teen boys lol ds friend came too. We went to market and shopped in the stores in town there. not far from us but haven't been for a while. Had a little night market so got some homemade stuff..cowboy candy, peach marshmallows..diff flavoured cotton candy. haven't eaten it all yet lol. found a vintage kitchen towel for mom for Xmas. Dh went out with friend for coffee and got something for clearing out the drains and fixing my electric carper sweeper handle. I need to vacuum and dust cus no sweeper you can see the dirt fast and someone coming over who is allergic to cats. Watching latest Martha vineyard mystery ..finally all the new ones showing up here so taped. Otherwise lots of horror stuff this month!

Not sure what is for dinner..thinking the smoked porkchops and a box of mac n cheese. still have a pot of potato leek soup in the fridge too. was last nights dinner. Had shopped friday for stuff for camping and milk etc. won't need bread etc until a couple of days from now.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Dlrcpa- The basement is a floating wood subfloor. As the soils expand and move, so does the foundation. It's a great concept and works well. The builder stopped making them after our subdivision, however, due to costs. DH said he wants wood floors again, so he can buy them this time.

CH- The window wells are next on my list. I'll measure them all and get the plexiglass cut. I'll see if a hole can be drilled and put a zip tie thru it to hold it onto the grate that sets on top of the wells. So wind won't blow them away. People put some 2 lb rocks on them but the wind here can be very strong.....

Martha- The camp-out sounds like fun!

I'm fine after the chair incident. I keep forgetting about the scratches and they burn with soap or lotion on them- I keep forgetting they're there.

DS2 has a test today and frets all night. I told him to just pass and don't try for the A. Not sure that helps because he told me a while ago that he was just trying to pass the classes and not go for A's! Ha He'll be a starvin' marvin when he gets home and I asked what he wanted for dinner but he doesn't care....I may get take-out chicken. ::sigh::

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Ruj - never heard of floating sub-floors, good luck figuring all that out.
Turkey burritos and biscotti turned out well. I fixed 2 autumn-motif X-stitch pieces for hanging using suction cup hooks on window glass. Tried to divide and re-pot the Boston fern, totally root-bound and I'm not sure it will do well, but it was free so no loss. Should finish another chemo hat today, maybe quilt the rest of the week. Meeting my friend at the farm/orchard stand this morning. Probably leftover turkey soup for supper unless hubby decides to cook something. Hope your Monday goes well.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I'm sure it's going to be a beautiful day, but I feel horrible. Dgds came back from Nana's house sick. I don't think I've ever seen them this sick. Now grandma has a sore throat and feels yucky. Dh said his nose has been running all morning. He went to work, but will stay in his office most of the day. His office is away from everyone. I don't think he would have gone in at all, except they had a power outage over the weekend and he probably just wanted to make sure everything is back up and running. No one called after the power came back on, but you never know.

Was planning to go buy some cat food. We have now become the stray cat diner. Last night when we got home, there was Big O, Black Kitty, and Tux. All hanging around waiting. We took in another stray. She comes and goes during the day and comes in at night to sleep. That's how we got Miss Kitty. She did the same thing, until we took her in and made her an inside cat. Then Big O(range) comes every night and waits. Now we have a black cat and a tuxedo cat hanging around sometimes. The lady across the street usually feeds a couple of cats too. I'm sure a lot of cats get dumped out here. The shelter won't take them, so they get left behind. I think I'll check amazon and see if they have the cat food I want.

I was planning to make some garlic butter chicken tenders tonight. We'll see how we feel.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Must have been tired after working in the garden yesterday and doing house cleaning with DH over the weekend, slept late this morning.

Cleaned and put chard away for later, have lots of small tomatoes. Will bake and freeze them for later. Went over the ads yesterday and made a list. Nothing I need to rush out and add to the stockpile. Made a batch of brown sugar shortbread, only 3 ingredients. Brown Sugar Shortbread

Today I want to work on a couple of sewing projects, get at least one moved off my work table. Tomorrow is gym day, and Wed is Dr. apt, so it's now or never.

Going to be mild, sunny and dry all week. Not fall, and not summer either. Trying to keep meals uncomplicated and use what we have. Tonight is fried cube steak and green beans, with garden tomato.

Have a good week!

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hiya Frugals!

I have not accomplished much the last few days, and the next few days aren't looking any better 🤪 I did make it out thrift shopping for a bit on Saturday morning, but aside from that, lots of sitting here at home ignoring the things that stress me. Sorry not sorry...

This afternoon I took DD14 out to town to deposit her paychecks (the one she got yesterday plus the one from 2 weeks ago that we never got to the bank with.) I did the first deposit for her last month because timing is tricky, but it was important for her to learn how to do it herself, so I am glad we finally got that done. Then she wanted to go to Dollar Tree and the pet store, where she spent her own money (allowance, not earnings, but still...)

Then tonight I didn't feel like cooking or more leftovers, so we asked the kids what they wanted, and big surprise, ended up ordering pizza.

I am trying to figure out how to be in many places at once tomorrow :rolleyes: I have 2 lectures lasting from 9AM to 3:30PM, with a 30 minute break in between, both recorded but they get snippy if people don't come in person... BUT... DD17 has a virtual IEP meeting at 1:15 tomorrow that is FAR more important to me than anything that may come up in lecture...meanwhile I am still doing research for my food box project I have been working on. I am trying to figure out if(a) The boxes on Tuesdays are just wildly superior to boxes later in the week (b)the boxes given at school locations are better than the ones at community centers (c)certain parts of the city are getting gucci boxes and others aren't. The only way to do that is to go to several sites in different parts of the city on Tuesday to see if all the Tuesday boxes look the same or not... which I can't do if I'm sitting in a lecture...

The end goal for all this is to pitch to the community center where I am working this semester that they become a distribution point for these boxes... but I want to have as much information as possible before I do that.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Good morning. SS exercise class this morning and COVID booster this afternoon at the grocery pharmacy. I have a short grocery list also, can shop while I am there. Farm store produce was again beautiful. I bought a variety of apple called Cinnamon Spice (they labeled them Cinnamon Crisp but no info on that, maybe they did a cross themselves?) Supposedly an heirloom variety. Taste does have a hint of cinnamon. Need to cook with the vegs this week. Weather is warm and humid again, ugh. I put almost all the summer clothes away. :mad: Have a good day.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Cloudy and cooler temps. I feel like crap. Didn't sleep well. Coughing, post nasal drip, no voice. Need to get this cleared up fast. Dinner didn't stay down last night, so I was feeling hungry last night, but only ate some yogurt. Nice fizzy coke feels good on the throat right now. Will alternate with water. Dgd texted this morning and said she was drinking lots of water. Don't know if she's better or not. She doesn't really say through texting. I was going to try to go back sleep after dh left, but couldn't. Maybe a nice warm shower and then a nap this afternoon. Lots of meds to dry this crud up. I'm going to be so sore from all the coughing.

Won't be doing much. Just don't feel like it. Taco Tuesday is out. Dgd was sad when we told her she couldn't go if she was sick. But we'd bring her some food. I don't think we'll be doing any tacos today. Dh can go if he's feeling okay.

Was able to do a target pickup yesterday for the cat food. Amazon said it would ship in 2-3 weeks. Target had it and I picked up some of the sparkling lemonade dgd likes and some kombucha for dh. I got some peanut butter m&m's for me. I could have gone to walmart, but the only pick up times were 4pm on. It gets too busy that time of day. The neighborhood market didn't have it.

I'd make tacos at home, but don't have any tomatoes. I guess we could do without. When you go out, there aren't any tomatoes on the tacos, so that's a possibility.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
QUICK!!! Everybody talk!!!

I am stressed and furious (school stuff) and need all the distraction I can get!

Tell me about your pets, the hilarious cooking fails you or your families have had, little triumps, ANYTHING... before I end up on the evening news!!! 🤣

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Well, Zhoen, hope you're feeling better soon....

I went out and ran errands today. Started out cool and sunny and then clouds moved in. Just clouds, no rain.

Got pizza for lunch and ate it in the car. Too many people in the restaurant and it's a popular place for people to take their screaming children. Ugh. It was a nice day to sit and watch traffic and people go by. Got leftovers for later in the week.

Went by the hobby store to see what was new, got a couple small things DH might like (for christmas). Also went by the recycled craft store. Trying to match some 15-20 year old fabric colors to finish a quilt. I got a few small pieces that will work. Too tempting to buy things there....

Nearly 80 out despite the clouds so I treated myself to an iced coffee from a local place.

Stopped at Sprouts to get nuts for DH. They are letting people scoop from bins again, but I got a pre-packaged bag because they were on sale. And they had chocolate covered coffee beans which DH likes. And a few other things, it was mostly a snack trip. Tomorrow I'll do actual grocery shopping.

Almost had an accident on the way home, someone in a hurry cut in front of me to get past a truck with a trailer, just as the trailer changed lanes and they almost had a wreck.

Pork stir fry for dinner, I better get it out of the freezer, huh. It's nearly 5pm here.

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Was complaining to my neighbor about dog2 "the runner". He has run away twice. Fortunately he will walk up to anybody and they can read his tag and start calling the phone numbers. Besides this he steals food off the table (referred to as "counter surfing"), tips over and roots through the trash cans, and drags the covers off the bed when I leave the house. Neighbor was laughing at me and said "you never had a normal dog before". Hmmm

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Also went by the recycled craft store. Trying to match some 15-20 year old fabric colors to finish a quilt. I got a few small pieces that will work. Too tempting to buy things there....
That place sound cool!

Besides this he steals food off the table (referred to as "counter surfing")... and drags the covers off the bed when I leave the house.
Ok, the stealing the blankets thing definitely made me smile! Thanks!

Sky Wheel Tire Brick Road surface

So my adventures led me past this place today... only imagine that the weather was grey and overcast. This massive gate is at the "dead end" of a street, at the top of a hill, so as you drive towards it, it is just LOOMING in the distance. Very cool. I hope to get a chance to learn more about it and possibly explore it a little some day... My travels also led me past Leakin Park... also known as "Murder Park" for the 70-odd bodies found there over the last 70-ish years, the most recent one being in June... Happy Halloween?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
creepy zhoen! well if it makes you feel better.. cats have been puking not the revenge puker but the pee'r ..she puked over the computer cords in the living room by the cat water bowl. some got in there too and the 3rd left water on the floor from playing. hubby got to clean that up lol jett hope you are feeling better!

rain sun weather up and down w my allergies so popped a pill. did volunteer stuff on way to get second to last veggie share. bought extra a pumpkin, spaghetti squash to go with the beets, carrots, brussel sprouts on stalk, last of the tomatos plus leeks. took my mom to store w me to get all the reg stuff.. dairy, buns, hotdogs, canned cat food, cereal, yogurt, bananas, etc. plus goodies, marked down cake, 75% campfire dual coloured marshmallows, half price fr van capp kcups for ds. was 10% off day so saved $13. got 13 cans flakes of ham/chicken for ds on sale half price .99 cents etc. velveeta slices on sale. chicken pot pies were bogo so one for me and one for mom for dinner. got a bag salad kit too. she gave me salted caramel hot choc she bought by mistake and frozen steaks. plus some mags and dvd brother was getting rid of..will see a straight to dvd movie 2022.

rest of week is work etc. dishwasher is on ..got one load of wash done and then ds put a load on. dusted and mostly vacuumed/sweep..things keep breaking for dh to fix. motion sensor light...tub plugged etc. watching our shows since most have restarted up. did amazon order got latest tony bennett and lady gaga cd plus fancy comb for ds for xmas besides cat food and kd cups for dd. working rest of the week.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Z - interesting. There is various stuff on the internet about the cenmetery.
The COVID booster left me feeling worse than expected so today will be a do-nothing day. Guess I am one of the 74% who report day-after "systemic reactions (mostly fatigue, muscle aches, and headaches)". Fortunately lots of leftovers for meals. I made eggplant parmesan last night and hubby is not a fan so I will get the rest. A friend brought stuffed cabbages which he will not eat either so those are mine too. Dog gate for deck arrived and was installed yesterday. I hope everyone is well.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Cloudy day again. Still not feeling well, but better than yesterday. The sneezing has started. Dh is starting to feel sick. He’s always a few days behind. I slept most of yesterday. I have a lay flat recliner and slept, not the most restful, but did get a good amount. Dh fixed some maltomeal for me. He apologized for a bad dinner, but it was just what I wanted.

Going to shower and then try to fold some laundry. Will try to get something cooked for dinner.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Sorry you're not feeling well, Jetts. Hope it passes soon.

Dlr, hope the side effects don't last long.

It was cool this morning, and clear for a while anyway. Had to go to the hospital downtown for a blood test. Lots of narrow streets, parking is usually a pain, but so many businesses have closed it's like a ghost town in places. Sky was clear blue when I finished lunch and went grocery shopping. The market downtown sure carries different stuff than my poor little suburban store. Bacon was 7.99lb, most packs are not a pound any more, they have been 12 or 10 oz and are getting smaller. Saw ground beef at ~$8/lb.... no thanks. Found an older pack marked half price. Sausage chubs are the same price, but smaller in "new look" packaging. I finally found some turkey sausage, and canning lids! Probably too late to do anything this year, but I'll have them next season.

World Market had christmas stuff out. I got DH's chocolate orange and tin of peppermint bark.

Rotisserie chicken for dinner, with steamed vegs.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi
1401 - 1420 of 1500 Posts