Frugal Village Forums banner
1441 - 1460 of 1477 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Quick trip to grocery store this morning, meatloaf and squash casserole for supper. Will make an extra meatloaf to freeze. It is cool and overcast, hopefully get some yard work done. The ice maker has quit working again, hubby is upset. Estimate for a new one was $350. I think we should look at new refrigerators. This one not that old but I have hated it from the beginning, and all I ever hear about GE fridges is problems. Start looking at prices. Actually getting delivery could take a while anyway due to all the problems. Hope everyone else has a good day.

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Dlr, you probably won't need the ice maker for a few months anyway, lol. I need to take the ice tray out of our freezer. We won't want ice cubes until next June, at earliest. Ours is on a wall without water, so we make them the old fashioned way. Your meatloaf sounds good today.

Rujerro, the idea of having local crafters and other vendors sounds nice. You could have a bake sale, too. My quilt guild runs a "tea room" during their shows and sells hot coffee, tea, and water along with baked goods, and has some tables and chairs to sit at in one corner of the hall.

Rained all night and is good and wet. Cool and breezy, too. I'm re-thinking dinner. It was going to be ribs in the smoker, but we have so many leftovers that stuff is falling out of the fridge. Came home from a friend's house Sat with half a large veggie tray and some leftover chinese. Have stuff I bought to take to another dinner last night, but our friend was out of town. Given the weather, I think the leftover cut vegs and last week's rotisserie chicken are going into the soup pot. I might have chicken stock in the freezer, too. Got out the sourdough starter and will try to make rolls.

Hope everyone is off to a good start this week.
Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Went back to DG and got 40 more key chains for .15 cents and some red/white/blue marked down stuff....
You've got me thinking I'll have to make time to check out DG one of these days. There aren't very many around here.

My quilt guild runs a "tea room" during their shows and sells hot coffee, tea, and water along with baked goods, and has some tables and chairs to sit at in one corner of the hall.
That sounds lovely! Beautiful cozy blankets and tea and baked goods... My teens were a bit trying today, and I have been studying for a midterm tomorrow that is a bunch of vomitously political tripe... I will spend my falling-asleep time dreaming of quilts and cookies and cocoa, so thank you for that... :)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Hubby found ice maker on Amazon about $100, says he can install it himself. He makes/drinks a pitcher of iced tea every.single.day so he is the one stressing about ice. Kohl's sent me coupon for $10 off anything by Oct 30. :)
I saw a recipe for "oatmeal pie" that I will try (one day). Guess I should use up the apples first. Meatloaf for supper. Sawed up branches in the yard for disposal yesterday, try to cut down perennials foliage today. Once the leaves start falling there is no time.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Nice and sunny today. We got a lot of rain over the weekend. Didn't haven't done much. Did get a shirt for dh fixed yesterday. I think he wore it today, so I guess that means it fit. Got the sleeves ripped apart for a second one. Did laundry all weekend. Hadn't touched it in over a week. Have the last load drying. It wasn't quite dry. Lots to fold. Still have a bit of a cough. It's always bad in the morning. Just need to clear out the congestion. Usually at bedtime too. Other than that, I feel fine. Dh is still fighting it off.

Took dgd home last night and dh saw some yellow lab puppies. Had to stop and talk to them. There is one that may be for sale. I think I convinced him that we don't need another dog. Even after ds takes his one dog, we'll still have 4. Ds did say he'd take the other one, but I think I would miss her too much to let her go. She's lived with us for 3 years now. Dgd would really miss her too. That poor little thing has come a long way since living with us. I just don't want another big dog. Yes, inlaws dog won't be with us much longer. We can just tell things are not quite right with her. She's old and starting to bark a lot for no reason. I'm sure somehow, we'll end up with a puppy in a few weeks.

Almost finished with Christmas shopping. Ordered the girls gifts online and they've been delivered. Of course one came in it's original packaging. Didn't realize youngest dgd was standing on the couch looking over the railing and saw what I brought it. She kept asking about it, but I just ignored her and she soon forgot. One more coming today and ordered some heaters for ds and wife. That's what they wanted. They just need to get the propane tanks for them. Speaking of which, we need to buy a couple more tanks for us. Just need some little things for them. Gift cards for eating out and I'm done shopping.

Dh made chicken wings in the air fryer. Now I need to stock up on frozen wings. I reheated some leftover fries and onion rings. They came out nice and crispy. Just need to work on the timing/temps so everything is perfect. tonight might be taco tuesday. We'll see.

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Zhoen, yes it is getting to be quilt weather... Hope you pass your exams.

Sunny and humid today because of the rain yesterday. Went out this morning for milk, bread and a couple sale items. $56. Got some marked down pork chops. Tues seems to be a good day for mark downs. Saw that the cereal aisle was well stocked despite the strike (I guess the warehouses aren't empty yet) and TP was in abundance.

DH wants to hang the last trellis panel today. Will be glad to have that project done.

Fish sanwiches for dinner with a salad on the side.

·
Super Moderator
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,448 ·
brought in the cushions from deck furniture, stored them under bed in guest room. Cleaned out the totes they were stored in, transferred firewood from big tote into smaller totes. It's hardwood scraps from the furniture factory so they fit well and it's good to have them right outside the back door. Brought in some more houseplants, repotted one. I have a "THING" that I planted this summer from a big seed. It was something I brought home from the food shelf, a fruit that tasted like pumpkin. I think it was Mexican? The seed was huge so I stuck it in a pot and it looks like it is hatching. I'll have to call it Audrey.
ETA - it's a Mamey Sapote. So I'll call it Mamie.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Zhoen, yes it is getting to be quilt weather... Hope you pass your exams.
It is rainy here, but not cold yet-- unless you count that we are running the AC to mitigate the humidity. And thanks, the exam was just as vomitous as expected, but I think I studied just the right amount-- I could answer the questions that had a basis in fact, and the political/opinion-disguised-(poorly)-as-science questions are not anything you can study for anyway... I don't know what they wanted me to say, and even if I'd known, I probably would have refused to say it 😜

I figured out today that even if I get A's in both classes this semester, I still won't quite have the 3.9 GPA they require for "highest honors." So that kind of takes a lot of pressure off... Nursing school students all joke about how hard it is to get good grades, and at times it's true, but it's still hard to let go of my once-perfect GPA...

Surprisingly, all 6 cabbage rolls I made got eaten-- and only one by me! DD17 didn't like hers, which is ok, she is a picky eater... H said it was "bland" (I made it without added salt, duh!) but he ate it... but DD14 (the vegetarian) gobbled up the rest. For a vegetarian, she eats a LOT of cows. 🤣

The cupcakes for my classmate's birthday tomorrow are baked and cooling... I am going to fill them with cherry filling and top with whipped cream, so I'm not going to finish those until the morning, but I do need to put together dinner for tomorrow before I go to bed. My clinical is supposed to run 'til 4:30, and then the drive home is always a wild card, so casserole it is!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Taking dogs to the vet at noon. Need to figure out all this itching and scratching. Also getting kennel cough vaccines because I'll be taking dog1 with me to some events in the next 6 months, and people saying that bordatella is going around again. One club member's young dog actually got pneumonia as a complication.
Meatloaf for supper (3rd time is the charm). We had leftovers last night because plenty and I did not feel like cooking. Took down deck umbrella yesterday and washed the fabric for storage. Found more poison ivy in the yard along property line and sprayed it. Plan to finish knitting a hat, but I don't know what else might get done today. :cautious:

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Cool and wet again this morning. Rain just stopped and it might clear up later. Planning a run to the hardware store in search of re-usable batteries for my camera. I only need a good quality AA. Don't want to have to cross town and go to an electronics store. Otherwise should be a quiet day.

Chicken salad and leftover soup for lunch, mac&cheese with spinach salad for dinner. Might try making a cranberry orange loaf.

Dr visit w/ annual check-up and blood test tomorrow. Will be a long day.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Rainy, gloomy looking day so far. Doggies are not happy. Got them out while there is a break in the rain. Last I saw we should be getting a little more rain any time now. Got the dogs out before it poured last night. It had been raining, didn't even know until we heard thunder. Nice day to stay in.

Dgd called yesterday and told us she couldn't go to taco tuesday with us because she was going to be baking with mommy. Yeah!!! I'm so happy when they do things together. They don't have a close relationship. She helped daddy work on her computer. They are building her a new computer for school. Youngest ds was in Paris last week. Dgd was so excited. She loves Paris. He sent her a Paris landscape lego to put together. She's been working on it when she is here. She's done the whole thing by herself. Pretty good for her age.

Going to finish folding laundry today. Then I'd like to start going through the junk in the basement. I was going to offer it to people at church, but honestly, I just don't want to deal with people. Most likely I'll just take it all to the DAV and donate it. Hopefully they'll take it. They have become picky about what they take. Lots of wedding decor and serving items. No more weddings for a long time for me.

I think I'm going to try fried chicken in the air fryer. Found a recipe that I think dh will like. I'll have to do a couple of batches.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
DH said that the large tree can be professionally trimmed as it got windy and it was scraping the side of the house. So, it will get done today.

I went through most of my stockpile and condensed it. I can officially say that some items were expired but I opened a can and it was perfectly delish. With DS2 eating lots of cereal, I did bring some of the items in storage up for him to eat.

I found a large box to put donations in and will put that in the garage.

My church group did not like the idea of vendors at the fundraiser and also felt that coupon books would be better in the spring as a fundraiser item...Well, coupon books expire in a year, so selling them in the Spring would mean half the year is lost to use the book.....They also didn't want the youth ministry involved since kids are busy with sports,,,I was then asked to coordinate selling wooden roses during our yearly bake sale. I was asked to contact the artisan, get the wooden roses and set up a table for them..We have done this before and I was told that they sold a lot of them......I have not responded.

·
Super Moderator
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,454 ·
I would personally rather have coupons than a wooden rose. Just something else to dust.

I sold a large houseplant for $25, I got tired of it, it was way too big. I did take a few cuttings off it first. I guess I didn't ask enough (FB marketpace), I had inquiries from 1-2 hours away. Then driving by the place I buy cut flowers, they had a similar plant, unpotted, huge. So I grabbed it. I put it in a pot and gave it to another person who contacted me on FB, a grade school teacher who wants it for her class. Free of course. I am in awe of teachers and all they do.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Hubby installed the replacement ice maker and we have ice again. Made 2 meatloaves yesterday and froze 1. SIL and BIL won't be around for Thanksgiving so now I can plan for 2-person dinner, should be easy. Will try my hand at the carpet cleaning machine today, I previously always let hubby do it but he is working. Supper will involve left over chicken, maybe a noodle casserole. I hope everyone is having a good week.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Well discovered the carpet cleaner machine was put away in a broken state and I was not informed. Either we will have to buy a new one or maybe hubby remembers what broke and where the parts are. No progress other than to move furniture and vacuum the floor really well. :mad:

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Sunny and cool this morning. Dh took dgd to McDs for breakfast burritos. We are going to make some canned cinnamon rolls in a bit. She wanted donuts, but last time they went they were in line for over 30 minutes. When they got to the window, the person looked at dh's card like she didn't know what to do with it. Getting fast food is no longer fast. Everywhere takes forever and then half the time they don't know what you're talking about when you order and half your order is missing. Lines are so long that they have signs up asking for patience because they are short handed.

I didn't sleep well. The dogs were all over the place last night. Then my mind started in and I stressed about Thanksgiving. This is one time we can all be together, but dil is such a pain. "she never gets to see her family". Let me show you how much you've seen them. Can't I have this one day, this year? I can't remember the last time we were all together for Thanksgiving. Over 10 years I think. Then the thoughts of how dil lied to ex-dil about me and all the problems that caused. I'm trying to get past that, but it still hurts. Then I start a pity party for myself. I know I'm not the best person, but I didn't deserve that.

Will give dgd her piano lesson this morning. Then pay bills and fold more laundry. Found a load still in the dryer. Then I'd like to start working in the basement to get rid of some stuff. Don't need it anymore. It's been sitting collecting dust for years. Not sure if I need to fix dinner. I made a bunch of chicken in the air fryer last night. Dh took some for lunch and there is still a lot. I wasn't feeling it, so didn't eat any.

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Cool and bright this morning, it seems to be mostly clouds but might clear up. Going to want a long sleeved shirt when I go out.

Jetts, customer service isn't what it used to be. Everyone is short handed and no one wants to work those jobs. Hope you get your thanksgiving figured out. Be with the family that wants to be there. Don't waste your energy on the rest.

Dlr, too bad about the carpet cleaner. Hope you can get it fixed.

Rujerro, a lot of pantry items last way beyond the "sell by" dates. Even the USDA admits that canned goods last indefinitely if not opened. I used to have a good link that showed how long stuff really lasts but can't find it just now. Good luck with the wooden roses. Seems like an odd thing to have at a fundraiser, but if they did well last time.... who knows.

Going out for DR appt. Will try to get a little early holiday shopping in, too. Dinner is probably leftovers.

1441 - 1460 of 1477 Posts