Frugal Village Forums banner
1461 - 1480 of 1680 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
So I grabbed it. I put it in a pot and gave it to another person who contacted me on FB, a grade school teacher who wants it for her class. Free of course. I am in awe of teachers and all they do.
That was very kind of you :)
Well discovered the carpet cleaner machine was put away in a broken state and I was not informed.
Ugh! How frustrating!
Sunny and cool this morning. Dh took dgd to McDs for breakfast burritos.... Getting fast food is no longer fast....
If he has a smart phone, both McD's and DD have apps. I don't use the DD one much, but you can order ahead and just go in and pick it up (some places have curbside where they'll bring it to you, I think...) And it builds up points for free drinks.
I use the McD's all the time because you get a TON of free stuff, plus it is one less step for my order to get messed up... I type it in how I want it, no chance of a wrong button being pushed by someone else. (Sometimes they STILL put the wrong thing in the bag, though.) I have mine liked to my debit card, so even the payment is one-touch, then I just go through the drive-thru because I'm too impatient to wait for them to bring it out curbside...
In the morning the breakfast sandwiches are almost always BOGO, but sometimes there is a "free baked item with any purchase" offer than will score you a fritter or a muffin with your $1 drink... And then during the non-breakfast hours there is almost always a "free large fries with any purchase" choice... we use the heck out of that lately with the teenagers... heck, I used it today and all we bought was sodas while we were picking up DD18's friend... Pay $3.18, get a $3.49 thing free... ok... 😜 Two days ago they had free 10 piece nuggets, no purchase necessary... but I wasn't in the mood, go figure.
My only complaint about it is that you can't use the daily deals at the same time as your "rewards"... and you can't use more than one of the "rewards" at once, either... so I have enough points for 3 burgers or whatever, but I can only get 1 per 60 minute time frame, can't redeem all 3 at once, can't get one free burger plus a special-priced fries, etc...

Will try to get a little early holiday shopping in, too. Dinner is probably leftovers.
H was talking last night and this morning about "better shop early, the skkyyyyyy is fallinnnnngggg!!!!!" as if this was new information. I was too tired to bother mocking him. 🤣 I just told him all my smart imaginary friends on the internet have known that for months.

Today is my oldest daughter's 18th birthday. I have been blue and anxious about this for ages now, and probably will be again tomorrow, but today I am just happy and proud of us all... For years now I have said my goal was for her to reach her 18th birthday alive and not pregant-- and I wasn't being facetious. Well, not only are we here, but she also has no tattoos or criminal record, so... bonus!!!... again, NOT kidding. It has been rough at times. She is a sweet girl-- except when she's not.

Today we got her all set up with her non-driver state ID. Tomorrow I will probably call the Social Security Office to set up an appointment to begin the loonnnngggg process of her evaluations for disability benefits (until she was 18, she didn't qualify because we "make too much.") But today, we will just be happy-- we made it this far, and while it's not what I would have wished for her and there are times when I grieve for what might have been, she's still with us and we love her and that is good enough for me. (She, on the other hands, is jones-ing for some hella expensive headphones...) 🤣

Oh, and dinner tonight is b-day girl's choice. She was saying Carrabba's earlier, but it is pretty far away, and she is napping now (she gets tired easily and today was a big day)... she might not feel like getting up, so we'll just wait and see...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Happy Birthday to your dd Zhoen! It is hard to have grace for people who hurt you lying about you and really their behaviour shows not much improvement Jett. But you are being an awesome grandma which is more important to them. Yes here mcds is hit or miss..better when the adults are on shift then mostly teens and some branches aren't great. maybe free stuff on the app here but don't know. get coupons in the mail ..more A&W and Wendys though which we like better.
Friday is dh bday and he changed his mind from burger place to local pizza place instead. couple friends joining us and dd can make a cake we have a choc cake mix and we can put orange flavour in the icing. he went out and got milk, bread , creamo and ice cream tonight cus he had to go to hardware store. I got halloween candy on sale that we will eat half of lol on sale. Halloween decor goes up after his bday and people asking about coming over. I picked up a coffee shop gift card to go w jeans I bought him. using not very xmas looking bag for gift bag lol recycle old card too...he doesn't care lol all new again.

cats pouting because the big chair has the local paper on it though there is a large spot available..just like only one can sleep on the couch that no one is sitting on. plus many other options for sleeping. needless to say not getting sympathy from me. dd has a friend overnight ..they made an apple pie. she had a recipe and I am what apples sugar cinnamon what recipe. Apparently now she eats apple pie only the sugar and apple part... at least the rest of the family are excited about the apples off the tree this year before it is eew. not perfect and I made applesauce which dh eats .they don't eat applesauce. yes I have a picky family lol little birds started on the hey its cold feed me..lots of rain lately so put out some last years suet seed blocks and bird seed. one cat got one bird when I was at work. hopefully no more. I picked up some clearance items for a friend so got another bag of bird seed plus a bunch of seed suet blocks cus cheapest place and have gone though one block in 24 hrs. so don't know if I have to move it or not if the crows can get at it because then gone in a minute. they get other food.

two orders I never got and have been chasing got refunds. hate though I have to get attention by saying do I need to go farther with it but $100 is $100...and have been told a few times they will get back to me over the last month but nada. was marked shipped but wasn't ..funny how I got a response within 12hrs after that email. working plus volunteer work to finish this week. the house needs a declutter again as piles have started again. lucky friends don't care lol

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Z - hope all DD18 birthday plans went well. Martha happy birthday to hubby sounds like you treat him pretty well. Must be birthday month.
I reluctantly bought & picked up a new carpet cleaner machine yesterday. Hubby's only suggestion regarding the broken one was for me to go rent one - Um, no. So working on that today. Broken one can go to curb w/ "FREE" sign this weekend. Needless to say I did not fix dinner last night. Tonight may be salad or a bag of fresh pasta hubby bought. He said he will go get his booster shot at 5pm today because he is off work Sat-Sun. Gave dog1 a bath yesterday, their stop-itch shots seem to be working and they both got the new flea/pest control tablets. I returned and PetSmart refunded the last box of Frontline Plus since it does not do the job. But I need to clean carpets and apply the carpet flea/bug spray I just bought at PetSmart. Hope everyone else gets to relax this weekend....🥴

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
Hope everyone is having happy birthdays.

Chilly and cloudy this morning, we had more rain overnight. Had to get myself a flannel shirt this morning. Feels like fall still looks like summer out there.

Ran errands yesterday. Having trouble finding rechargeable batteries. DH is going to have to get them from Amazon. Lot of stores are not so well stocked as usual. Plenty of stuff, just not piled to the ceiling like you usually see in some places for the holidays.

Staying home today, trying to get caught up with a little cleaning. Don't know how the bathroom gets so dirty, so fast.

Got a couple new WW cookbooks at the thrift yesterday, going to try a few new recipes, see what I can use that's already in the house. Veggie pizza for dinner tonight.

Reactions: Zhoen

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Cloudy and spitting rain. Picked up my walmart groceries and then took the "stray" cat to the vet. She has been limping. She has a bite on her front leg and one on her back foot pad. She needs to stay inside and take antibiotics for a week. That's going to be fun. She's more of an outside cat. She comes in and sleeps in the garage at night. Sweet, but can be a bit mean. We have 3 other strays that come around in the evening wanting food. I think it may be time to stop feeding them. They need to move on and leave our little "stray" alone.

I have a target order to pick up. Then to Aldi for a few things. Dh wants to take dgd grocery shopping. He thinks she would enjoy that. Her mom only does instacart. She hates grocery shopping.

Dh and I needed to eat, so we picked up the dgds and went to Mcds last night. The double line was all the way around the building. This was at 7pm! We left and went to a different location. It wasn't as bad, but I had what seemed like refried fries. Doing the app doesn't help here. The doors are locked after a certain time, so you can't go inside to pick up and waiting in the drive thru is ridiculous. And when you do go inside, you can't get anyone to help you. Time to do my own fast food. It's just nice not having to cook. I need to look at doing some freezer meals again. Bought more canned cinnamon rolls so we don't have to do donuts.

Tonight dgd and I are going to do a shrimp boil in the instant pot. She was asking for shrimp a few days ago. I told her we would make this for dinner tonight.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Happy Belated Birthdays to Martha's DH and Zhoen's DD. I hope they were good times!

We took DS2 to Target and he came out with a bag. I asked if it was a game and he said yes. I asked the name of the game and when he told me, I asked if he could return it! I bought that for him for his birthday and told him he could have it as a early gift but he said no, he would wait....He'll take back the game and get his money back.

We'll take the boys out to lunch. I made a pumpkin cake tonight. I didn't put oil in it and baked extra 10 minutes. It came out ok. Best I've done in years as my pumpkin recipes are too watery and never come out.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Good morning. Dog bedroom is mostly back together and usable following carpet wash. Today I washed the carpet in my basement office - ugh really dirty spots from the dogs visible once the furniture was removed. Not completely gone but better. Hubby did the space in front of couch where he watches TV, also vacuum'ed the couch. I need to set up my car and pack with tools for tomorrow, going to dig up and bring home landscape plants from friend's yard. That will be tiring.

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
Good morning. Chilly today, 43 out. Should warm up. Not sure what today will bring. Talked with DH about cleaning up the garage and sweeping it out. Also time to start cleaning the back deck. Have the usual chores indoors as well.

DH wants to go out for burgers this evening.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
DS2 got his $ back from the return.
I've been earning gc's from swagbucks. I'm using them for toys from ebay for Christmas. Either the regular stores are sold out or they won't ship. The location of the stores is a 2 hour drive from me so it's better if I can get it shipped and with a discount.
I made chicken parmigiana for dinner. I have leftover chicken and will need to figure out what to do with it.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Big task for the day completed - went to friend's house and dug up all the hostas (about 25 in various sizes, some need to be divided), and transport them home. Hubby went along and did the digging so that cut the overall time in half. She will have the landscape crew dig and set aside 2 azaleas for me Monday, also some round aggregate stepping stones (which hubby started in objecting to me taking.) I have to go pick those up tomorrow. Rest of the day will be small household chores. There is a beef roast for hubby to grill for supper. Nice weather here, cooled off again finally. I hope everyone is well.

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
Chilly this morning, 47F, but warming up. Made our first batch of oatmeal in the crockpot for the season. Nice to wake up to a hot breakfast.

DH and I did yard work. Picked tomatoes -- so many coming ripe now-- weeded and dusted chard with ash to keep the worms off it. DH cleaned fences. We got the last trellis panel up. So that's our spring yardwork almost done for the year, LOL! Have a big bowl of tomatoes to do something with, will likely roast them. Have oregano to dry also.

Dlr, I'm jealous of your hostas. They're one of the few plants I think I can grow in the shade here, but at $18-20 a bulb I can't see myself ever buying any. You got a very good bargain from your friend.

Rujerro, leftover chicken is so useful, hope you find something yummy to make with it.

Pot roast style short ribs for dinner. Going to throw in some onion and carrots and serve over rice.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Yes the hostas were too good to pass up. I cut off all the foliage first so the root balls were pretty manageable. I have transplanted them before so expect success. Need to work at it this week. She will have the workers dig up 2 azaleas for me but they are rather large (at least 2' tall and wide) and I don't know if they will survive but will try. She said they are pink, I would have turned down any other color.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Dlr- That sounds like a wonderful outdoor project and will be lovely in the Spring! My mom had a gorgeous pink azalea for many years. Maybe plant it with miracle grow? I sprinkled that in with the herbs in the Spring and they all grew. I added it to my Fall bulbs so we'll see if it helped.

CH- That dinner sounds great. I left a comment about the Holiday plans and my plans for Thanksgiving dinner. Oh, this is gonna get interesting.... Stores here do not have hams or turkeys. I saw a website say it has shank/butt hams at $26 each. And turkey legs at $1.99/lb. Honestly, I may be working that day and we'll have a roast chicken with fixings.. IF I can find a chicken........

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
CH enjoy the quilt meet.
Hubby and I will return to friend's house this morning for more plants and some round pavers she is giving me. My neighbor is taking some nandinas I did not want. I ordered sheets from Kohl's using coupons and $10 gift they emailed me. Printed $25 Home Depot gift card (from doing surveys) to buy dirt. Maybe pick up those things Tuesday. Weather should be nice all week for yard work. Leftovers for supper, we have lots. Going to be a tiring week. :sleep:

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Sunny and cool this morning. Should be a nice day. Ds made it home from deployment. So happy he's back in the states. Now he needs to clean up his house and get it ready to sell. He said he'd need to rent a storage unit. Not sure if he has room for a pod. That would be easier for him. I'm definitely going to go visit him when he moves this time.

Finished up most of our Christmas shopping. We ordered most of it form Amazon, Target and Kohls. Found some matching nightgowns for the dgds. My order from Kohls was big enough, it would ship for free. I really don't like going to Kohls. Locations just aren't the best. Oldest dgd's birthday is coming up fast. Got her gifts for that too. Still need to get gift cards for Christmas and figure something out for my parents and sister.

Lots to do, but no motivation to do any of it. "Stray" cat is doing better. She's getting around on that foot now. It's been fun trying to keep her inside, but she's doing better. The two cats hiss at each other and you can hear them growling too. I need to pick up ornaments from Hallmark. They've extended their pickup to a week and not just the weekend. It's too busy on Saturday.

I should probably get the pot roast in the crockpot for dinner. I stocked up on chuck roast. It was on sale this week. I probably bought more than we needed, but I can cut it up for soup too.

·
Super Moderator
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,478 ·
went shopping again, needed nasal spray. Asked about a flu shot, they were too busy. Next time I go up that way, I'll make an appt. As I walked around the store (grocery with pharmacy) if I saw empty shelves in an area I picked something up. Got crackers, sugar, salad dressing. I don't know why they didn't have any house brand crackers, got Triscuits. Salad dressing, I like a very particular kind, got 2 bottles. Sugar I know I will need for holiday baking.
As it is only me, I don't need to get a lot.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Picking up Kohl's purchase, library reserve and bags of dirt. Goal for today is plant the 2 azaleas (nice size) so they have not been out of ground very long. Maybe some hostas as well. I planted 3 of those yesterday as well as other yard cleanup. Making veg soup w/ the ham bone in the crock pot. Have a good week.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Good morning! It's sunny out, may need to take a drive today, just to get out. Went to pick up my ornament yesterday, they ran out of the free one. Oh well. They had pulled the wrong ornament. Glad I noticed before I got home. Then went to dollar tree and got some Christmas flowers to put in all my vases. I found one for fall a few months ago and really liked it and wanted to get another one and of course they didn't have anymore. Wasn't going to put it off this time. Stopped at Dollar General and found a cute little milk can flower arrangement. They had some really pretty arrangements, but didn't get them. I think I have enough fall decor.

Need to clean the kitchen. Just haven't been feeling it lately. I don't want to do anything. I made myself get up this morning, but so far haven't done much of anything. I did manage to fold a couple of loads of laundry and got the sheets washed and dried yesterday. They just need to be folded. Need to check the blanket to see if it is dry. That thing takes several cycles to get dry. Getting a new dryer isn't the answer. I've seen others with newer dryers have to do the same thing.

Dh took the pool pump apart yesterday and put it away for the winter. Not sure what we'll do with the pool. It started to roll, so that means the bottom isn't level and we need to pull the supports out further, which means we need to make the area bigger. Lots of work. Maybe he'll get to it in the next few weeks, maybe not. May not at all and we'll keep using it the way it is. Got some other things cleaned up in the back. Still lots to do. Need to get the deck ready for winter.

Taco Tuesday tonight. No cooking!!!

1461 - 1480 of 1680 Posts