Frugal Village Forums banner
1481 - 1500 of 1680 Posts

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
Yesterday was busy and I picked up bbq on the way home. Couldn't deal with shopping AND cooking. Don't need anything urgently, DH wanted snacks and egg nog. We'll live a few more days without. Leftovers now, too.

Cool and cloudy this morning but sun is out and it seems to be clearing. Already cleaned dishes, put away a dried sheet pan worth of herbs, and have tomatoes in the oven now. So many coming and we can't possibly eat them.

Going to thaw a pack of chicken for dinners this week. Planning a corn, tomato, and bean salad for tonight.

Scratch that. Went down to get stuff out and the small freezer was off again. Cord probably got kicked over the weekend. Grabbed a pack of pork chops that had completely thawed. They smell ok. Hope nothing was ruined, (frozen veg probably all melted into one block) but can't tell unless I open it all up. Warned DH that his yogurt an cottage cheese might be sour, but with yogurt how can you tell?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Beautiful day here.....61 degrees.....dropped off lunch for the homeless for today and tomorrow....I need to make note not to sign up on for the week my shot is due....shot night tonight and I know it. Not getting around too good...but once I take the shot, I'll feel better.

I'm thinking I'll order three meals (so we can have extra) for the two of us from Cracker Barrel for Thanksgiving. I wish I felt good enough to have the family over but since my daughter still is standoffish and doesn't talk to her brother, I am not going put myself thru this crap. Why can't everyone get along is beyond me....I personally don't care who you voted for or why......there is plenty to talk about especially since we haven't talked in over a year....

Aldi's has turkeys on sale for $1.39. I'm not buying one unless they decide to do a homeless Thanksgiving lunch and then I'll make one for that.

I can't believe October is almost over....the year is almost gone....I'm not giving Christmas gifts this year except to the great grandson. Everyone has everything they need and they don't like what I pick out so why bother.

I won a ton of masks this past week. Lots of Cat and Jack kids masks which I will use in the shoeboxes for next year. Got a bunch of adult masks which had five to a package. Donated some to the homeless today but not sure if they will use them.

We went to the country this past weekend....wanted to visit this quaint little town but there was so many people walking the street with no masks I didn't even get out of the car...we had a nice time just getting out of the city...we stayed at the Hyatt and I will never stay there again....It was a suite but had no microwave....the sheets had a stain so they gave us new sheets which we had to change......you open the door and the toilet was in your line of view....you had to shuffle around to get bathroom door closed and if you were sitting on toilet you couldn't shut the door....the sink was in the bedroom area.....the sink was put in backwards to you had to lean over 8" to hit the sink when you brushed your teeth....the shade didn't work so there was no way to block the sun coming in......10 to 15 minute wait for the elevator....we went out and got takeout and by the time the elevator got there the food was cold and like I said no microwave in the room....so cold food....and only one cup for coffee on the coffee bar.....one elevator sounded horrible when we took it the first day and I mentioned it to husband...I do not like elevators....the next day this elevator was out of order....I'm glad we weren't stuck on it......so one elevator for six floors....and the list goes on.....they did not get a good review from us....

Ran to store and got five pounds of bacon and five pounds of butter for the freezer. CH I understand when you say you can't deal with shopping AND cooking....it's usually one or the other....I have been feeling pretty good lately and have been cooking more but it does wear me out.....then there's the clean up....ugh....

I have doctor appointment this afternoon....blood work looks good so there should be no problem. Except my weight...I gained four pounds....got to get back on the wagon.

Hope everyone is having a good week....stay safe...stay healthy....

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Peg that Hyatt sounds unbelievable!
Target Circle has $5 off $25 their store brand groceries so I guess I will place another order for pickup by Saturday (last day for this coupon. Hm, turkey?) I used all those Target pick-up grocery bags for transporting plants from friend's house to mine. They are good and sturdy. I knew they would be handy for something.
2 azaleas were planted - took 2 hours - and that's all for today.

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
Dlr, sounds like a full day. Enjoy the good weather.

BW, glad you had a nice time in the country. That hotel sounds awful. I'd make sure corporate knew about it, too.

Cool and cloudy here, looks like rain, but probably not. Not sure what today's plans are, have a hundred little things to do. Grocery list is starting to get long but we have a lot of leftovers so it might wait a day or two.

Pork chops I got out last night had not been warm long enough to go off, and DH says his cottage cheese is good, so I'm relieved. Going to talk to DH about getting a sensor that alerts us if the freezer goes out again.

Have a good day everyone.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
A little cloudy this morning. Waiting on some packages to be delivered. Dh ordered a bunch of stuff. Not sure what he got. My Kohls order comes today. I'm done shopping for Christmas. Wait, I still need to get a few gift cards. I can order them from Amazon. That's what we did last year.

Didn't do anything last night except get tacos. Dh went to bed early, but the dogs needed out so many times. Not sure what their problem is. I can think of one, but dh won't listen to that. It's the food. He feeds them a little wet food with the dry. Take them off the wet and they will be better. But you can't tell him anything. Dgd will over tonight, so won't get much done. Dh will be tired. He was supposed to be at work really early, but the plumber called and rescheduled for later in the day. He went in anyway.

May try to get some laundry done. Will go get dgd some Chipotle this afternoon. Last week after ballet, she was so hungry. She ate everything she could find. I think the last thing was crepes just before bed. I'm not really happy about the way they feed the girls. The timing of meals is nuts. Dil is sooooo busy with school. What did you expect???? But she has 6 hours on a Saturday to hang out with a friend.

Better get the pot roast in the crock pot. I bought a lot last week when it was on sale. Need to vacuum seal them and put in the freezer.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I think it is a blah time of year.. have been in the dumps too but talked to online friend in different country. rain and more rain but not too chilly in the low 50s. finally got a haircut short like normal but at least done was a mess just hang very straight..I have a lot of hair so takes a while to cut and thin out $30 w tip so not bad. sorted out some yarn and have been putting out slowly the halloween decor cus I have a lot lol all piled in front of the dining room.

I don't normally get a flu shot but will this year as they are making it free here for everyone this year because they think it is going to bad year. dh can't get one cus allergies. kids will get one too. things are opening for sport games, concerts etc too.
not doing much housework..I ask for somethings to be done and then they aren't like getting mattress out the basement..still good but no one wants used mattresses only a year old so into trailer to dump and and and..they all forget chores as soon as I say so. reminds me someone needs to scrub the tub... ds is doing plumbing hands on practice this week so up really early and of course not in bed early ..found him asleep on the couch when I came home coat and shoes still on yesterday lol so told dh to tell him bed by 11 and threaten to take phone away. he has to be up at 530am.

not in the mood to cook .fried some onions and peppers going off for quesadillas tonight so people can add to cheese. shopped w mom monday and library runs. rujerro that is nuts for those meat prices! not in cooking mode so tomorrow maybe my easy stand by tomorrow frozen french fries and chicken strips..strips were bogo so got some since working tomorrow. news is saying inflation at a 18 year high so all costs more.
ds found the corn from monday still in the microwave.. last night coupons for A&W burgers. friday I will get chinese take out probably. could do some housework but except the usual keep kitchen clean and run carpet sweeper meah.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
More yard work today, switching to back yard. So far planted 10 clumps of hosta and 2 azaleas in the front. Lots more to go. Maybe take a break Friday. Need to place the Target pantry order and another store has produce sales and $4/lb lean ground beef. I think chili tomorrow and some to freeze. Something easy tonight.

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
That's a lot of digging to get through Dlr.

It's crisp, breezy and sunny today. Leaves are getting dry enough to rustle. It's a good day to go out and just enjoy the day. Need to pick up milk and veg for the weekend, too.

M, I love this time of year. It's not just the pretty leaves, it's the perfect temperature for me, cool and sunny. When I talked to my doctor last week she said she had treated a lot more people this year for depression. People don't cope well with change, it's been stressful for everyone at some level. Even people who are doing ok are having a hard time with the social and economic challenges of the past year. She said it's important to have something to look forward to, but unfortunately I think what we're looking at is more political bickering and social upheaval.

Not in the mood to cook either. Fridge is still full of leftovers. DH had cereal for lunch yesterday instead of the bbq. I ate the chicken left from last week and fries left from when he wanted to go out for burgers. Still pizza left, too.

Hope everyone is having a good week.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Chilly morning. Poor doggies were all curled up. Dgd spent the night. She's upset because she thinks mommy donated one of her toys. Poor girl didn't understand what donate meant. She thought she'd get them back. She'll go home and look some more. After she leaves, I'll take a shower. Then go to the store for some sale items. Need to restock the frozen pizza supply. Ds will come visit next month and he'll eat one every night. Late at night. Hopefully they still have the pork chops. Dh likes the thick ones. Last time, they were out of them.

I'm going to start going through the basement today and pull out everything I want to get rid of. Still not sure if I'll just take it to donate or offer it to friends first. I want to make room for more food and supplies. Going to check for any gaps in the stock pile. Might need to rely on it soon.

Dinner tonight will be pork chops and broccoli.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Beautiful day today....I love the fall but we don't get much of it here in Texas.....wish we could have gone to NY this year...I understand about depression....I've never been depressed in all of my 70+ years but these past two years have been rough....I think that's why I don't feel like doing anything....between the way the world is and my daughter acting like I'm dead, I just want to stay in bed somedays....if I hadn't done shoeboxes I think I probably be in bad shape. That kept me busy everyday, 8 to 10 hours a day.....

Husband is on vacation and trying to find something to do.....I refuse to pay $110 to go to an art museum...I would enjoy it but not at that price and he wouldn't at any price.....lol I can't walk that much and can't be around lots of people so that doesn't leave much to do...so we took a ride....he will be happy to go back to work on Monday....

Doctor was happy with my blood work and said I'm doing good....I find I am moving slower now....I apologized to the nurse for moving so slow and she answered "It's ok, we're here till five." lol

Didn't feel like cooking so just had scrambled eggs and sausage for dinner.

Hope everyone is having a good week....stay safe and stay healthy.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
ds found the corn from monday still in the microwave..
This sounds like my house!!!

Today was a lazy day, but not ENTIRELY wasted... The kids' school had a 2-hour early dismissal, which meant DD14 was home at 1230, and due to all the classes being shortened, DD18 was home by 9:45!!! Ugh! I had the house to myself for 90 minutes, which is the most I've had in a llloooonnngggg time, but I wanted more!!! :(
BUT... did take DD14 to get her hair trimmed, did make a bit of progress on school work and got some knitting done while watching the required videos...

I am writing this here so that I might actually do it... the dishes are insane, I will wash the dishes tomorrow. Either that or pack a bag, move far away, and start over...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Zhoen I always want more lol ! my kid needs a job so I can lol came home between stores and dd was out and was so tempted stay home alone but then ds came home earlier then school so I went to work. he doesn't get a pro d day tomorrow since they are going to place for real plumbing practice. and also had to be home by certain time cus someone was coming by to drop off stuff.

CH I love fall too spring and fall are my favorites. perfect temp beautiful colours. I am just having a week of realizing no one else really cares what toxic behavior is as long as it is not directed at them but you that is ok. and other stuff. plus turns out that time of month blech..thought would be done lol so plan on staying home this weekend and ordering groceries and watch all my shows. new british one all that glitters jewelry making challenge

At least weather news got it wrong today was in 70s and warm wind blowing so that was nice though the cats came in early..kids not being their slaves lol volunteer work stuff.. have meeting re bookkeeping and see how I feel if I do last store out that way or leave it until monday. seems the bags of frozen dumplings are getting less and less had to use 2 bags for a quick dinner. tomorrow chinese takeout or fend for yourself. amazon order came so have dry cat food priorities lol and my dracula movie w frank langella original theater version colourized before the director mucked about with it and took it out. will watch on weekend. dh has never seen it.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Weather here continues to be really nice. But very dry, only 1/3" of rain this month. Digging in back yard easier but dry as dust. I am taking a break from digging but will water everything planted and where I want to plant on the weekend. Need to do household chores and hubby says he is making shrimp & grits for supper. He has made it before, I think just so-so but whatever makes him happy. Have a good weekend.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Chilly morning. It was 65 degrees in the house this morning. Warmed up my rice bags and got back in bed. No heat. Not yet. Really need to get outside and do some work, but no motivation. I think it's a touch of depression. Lots going on and lots to think about. Dh said no more Sunday dinners for a while. I just can't handle it, especially after dgd has been here all weekend. We'll do dinner next weekend for dgd's birthday and halloween.

Going to pick up a target order and I also have a few other things dh wanted, so I'll run in and get it. May run to walmart too. I think I just want to get out and look around. I don't get out enough anymore. Not that I need anything, but I think mentally I need to get out more.

Dgd will come spend the night. I think we'll have a little "bonfire". We got a tiny fire pit and she can cook hotdogs and marshmallows tonight.

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
Sunny and chilly this morning. Had our first frost warning last night. Didn't get that cold but will have to start watching and bring plants in at night soon.

Picked up groceries, what was on the list and a few things on sale. Still over $100. Bacon was 3.99, that's as good as it gets any more, so I got 2 packs. Breakfast links 1.99, unheard of pricing, got 2 packs. Family bag of chips on sale, got for DH, plus dip. Told him it has to last ten days. Two packs of "senior cat" liquid food until our delivery arrives. Everything else was milk, bread, vegs, or stuff we are out of. I was tempted by the canned goods sale but I'm already stocked up.

Feeling tired and achy today, so I'm going to take it easy. Dh will probably want to do stuff this weekend in the yard or garage.

Stir fry bowl for dinner. Got lots of new vegs to put in it.

Jetts, enjoy your time out. You deserve a break.

Dlr, have a good day, and I hope dinner is tasty.

M, yes, packages getting smaller and prices going up too.

Hope everyone is ready for the weekend.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
Cool and grey this morning, not likely to warm up, chance of rain later. Going to get laundry started, do the usual things around the house. Might work on a craft project this afternoon.

Leftover short ribs and vegs over rice for dinner.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Looks like rain coming. Dh had to go into work today. Automatic 4 hours overtime. That's good, we can use it. Dgd is still here. The other one will be coming soon. Who knows how long they'll stay. Loaded the dishwasher and need to dry the plastic stuff and put away. Then hand wash the rest. May do a load of laundry. I forgot there is one in the dryer to fold.

Going somewhere for a late lunch today. Then I don't know what we'll do. I really should start purging the basement. No, if we get bad storms tomorrow, I want my car in the garage. We'll clean the garage today. Dh may try to change the brakes on his car first.

1481 - 1500 of 1680 Posts