Frugal Village Forums banner
1601 - 1620 of 1662 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Peg glad you got the shoe boxes finished and ready to go. My library sells donated books, something like $1 for hardback and 50 cents for paperbacks. After I read them I put in the "little free library" boxes around the neighborhood. I put some cook book pamphlets in one a couple weeks ago. Betty Crocker easy meals or something like that.
Thought I was starting physical therapy today but the online system says tomorrow so waiting for a call-back to straighten that out. Tomorrow I'll be driving the hat & quilt donations to the drop-off. Hubby agreed to BBQ carryout for supper, so there will be plenty of leftovers for later in the week. Yesterday I talked to the man who bought parents' property because he was trying to figure out the soapstone fireplace operation. He said they harvested 600 bushes of sweet potatoes from the big field there. 🍠 I can't even imagine how or where they stored all that. I was following the facebook page for their farm stand and they are now sold out of sweet potatoes. Good for them.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Sunny and warming up today. Looks like it will reach into the 60's and be pretty nice out. I'm going to the quilting bee for the day, and then grocery shopping. Picking up dinner on the way home, fried rice and whatever DH wants.

Hope everyone's week gets off to a good start.

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Sunny and warmer today. Dh took the day off. He has a dental appointment. Dgd spent the night. She got to stay if she pulled her tooth. It was just hanging in there. Now she's running around singing, "all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth". She's funny. Younger dgd will be here soon. Mommy has a class and daddy had to start going in to the office this week. It's year end and lots to do, so they wanted everyone to start going in, instead of working from home. Now grandma gets to babysit two days a week for the next 5 weeks. Yeah! 😕

Dh and dgd went to McDs for breakfast. I was craving a bacon, egg, cheese biscuit. It's gotten expensive. Dh is going to finish the bird feeder. I have a target pickup. Dgd wanted a black dress. Would only ship with $35 order, got some cat food and few other things to make up the difference. I have some library books to pick up. We're going to learn about the pilgrims and the first thanksgiving and do a couple of crafts and make cornbread and homemade butter. Dgd needs to get some kind of schooling done. Mommy has been dropping the ball lately.

Dinner will probably be leftover taco soup or whatever you find.

·
Super Moderator
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,604 ·
went and got my booster, drugstore had some yummy Russell Stover candy, 2 for $1 so I treated myself to a couple. Picked up some wheat germ at the supermarket, they were out last time I went. I notice almost everyone in the store is back to wearing masks, I never stopped.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I have a riddle for y'all!

Q- What do you call it when a patient is constipated after surgery, so you give him all the softeners and stuff the doctors ordered and put in a suppository, and then he poops the bed, has diarrhea in the toilet, and then the toilet BREAKS?

A- My day 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 But if you think about it, I must be REALLY good at my job, he went from constipated to crapping himself!

After a THOROUGH cleanup, I decided I deserved Long John Silver's on the way home. SHHHHhhhh, I didn't get any for the fam... they can have hamburger helper, as scheduled.

I am pretty happy that I don't have to go in again until Friday. Last night I got home at 6 and just CRASHED. And tonight I changed straight into my pajamas as soon as I got home and I am going to fight to stay awake just because I need to work on this stupid scarf. Tomorrow I have an exam I don't even care about, so it should be a short day.

Tonight, in addition to the scarf, I have to cover a big box with wrapping paper and take that to school tomorrow for a coat drive. Ideally it would be snowflake paper, for an "it's cold" theme... but I can't remember if we have any of that left, and I am too tired to go look right now.

Ok, I should go knit now...

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Driving to the charity drop-off this morning. I got the dog crate secured in the car so dog2 can go with me. He is all over the back seat if loose and can't wear the harness because he just twists himself all up. But I think he will behave in the crate. Dog1 can have a quiet morning at home by himself.... making a big pan of mac & cheese tonight along with leftover meatloaf. Worked on cross-stitch some more, it is coming along. Have a good day.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Sunny and warming up, supposed to get into the 70's today. Will be a good afternoon for a walk before we get more cold weather.

Have a couple quick errands to do, pills to get at the drug store. Then I'll make egg cups for DH's breakfasts this week. Did grocery shopping yesterday, picked up vegs, milk, large bag of cat food, TP, eggs, margarine, a small bag of walnuts, 1/2 lb deli ham, a 99c brownie mix, one small box of jello, two half-price boxes of keto bars for DH, two jars peanut butter on sale, two tubes of biscuits on sale, and a bottle of antacids. And it was over $130! NO meat at all, no booze, no candy or chips, no $12 bottle of olive oil.... Then the first thing I read in the news this morning is Tyson raising prices due to increased costs and rising restaurant demand. Sigh.

Making sloppy joe mix from turkey I bought a while back. There will be extra to freeze. DH is helping a friend move furniture this evening, not sure if/when he is eating.

Zhoen, hope the coat drive goes well.

Jetts, the price of bacon is sky high. The cheapest I saw yesterday was $6.99 a package, that was the sale price, not even a full pound. I just kept walking.

Stay warm everyone.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I'm hoping for some warm temps today. Picked up my target order last night on the way to home depot. Dh needed some things for work. He had to go in for a few hours. He can never, ever have a day off. 4 hours overtime. Watched both dgds yesterday afternoon. Oldest smashed the little one's fingers in the window. They were waving to their mom. I went to pick up the little one and whoa! she had a dirty diaper. From now on, mommy needs to check the diaper before she leaves my house. I'm done changing diapers. It was obvious she'd been wearing it awhile. She needs to get potty trained. Mommy is just lazy.

Dh stopped to visit his dad after his dental appointment. I think it's been a year since he's been there. We live on the same street. When everyone got covid last year, one of the sisters took over POA and wouldn't let anyone visit unless she was there. We made her sit and wait all day earlier in the year. Never went to visit. Dh's dad cried, because he misses his sons and dh told him it was his stupid daughter that wouldn't let them visit. She was out of town and hired someone to look after him during the day, that's how dh was able to visit. Took his dog to visit too. I don't think the poor little pup likes it there anymore. She was ready to come back to our house.

Going to run some errands. Library book pick up, groceries. I'll check to see if the new ads came today before I go. There are a few things here and there that I want to get on sale. I doubt we'll go out for taco Tuesday. Will make my Mexican zucchini/ground beef dish.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
your poor fil. well rain is stopped and it is sunny but of course the cats are all in and out so tired of them doing that cus it is lunchtime so enough and of course doesn't like the food. so revenge barfing as I am typing. like really it is nice outside and you are complaining. Zhoen I remember taking fil to hospital for that..but at least he didn't do the bed just the portapotty thing and stinking out the ward ..think the nurses regretted not taking him to bathroom lol he was had to go they were just go in there. we heard about it and thankful not there!

Water is still rising about hour away flooding etc. more evacuations and the hwys closed so lots of people stuck. bad situation. one big main highway washed out partly not sure where the washout part is..so will be lots of problems.

was going to go to bank and one store but hit with either allergy med rebound or something cus dizzy shaky etc and food didn't help. so not driving. tomorrow. will see what work I can get done at home later. doing some cleaning etc. threw out some old bananas and eggshells to back part of yard and cleaned up a bit. stuff in recycling etc. thinking leftovers tonight or get whatever. or just frozen fish and chips.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Z- you get an A+ for that!
Martha- Hope you're feeling better!

Will be very cold when taking DS2 to the bus stop. I said that we'll need to dress like Nanook of the North...

I have a SF apple pie baking...I'll be making a recipe from my magazine called "Chicken & Mushroom Ragu" over linguine. I also want to make "Brisket, Potato & Leek Kugel" and hope to make it this weekend.

DH must be in the mood for cookies...He said he wants to have me "help make them" so DS2 can take some to school. Uh, I'm pretty sure I'll be making them for DH....

I offered to work on my day off for a few hours since a coworker needed help and was scheduled to work alone. When I called, the boss came in on his day off to help out and said I didn't need to come in unless I wanted to...I decided the gym was more important but will see if I can work a bit more this week since it's the holiday....

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Ruj - nice of you to help extra at work. Maybe you can escape cookie baking. I was looking for fruitcake fruit/peel mix and local stores don't have. Only see on Amazon where I ordered it last year. I think I will skip this year, don't need the calories. Physical Therapy evaluation this morning. I bagged more leaves yesterday in front but still a lot to do on sides and in back. Hubby is off work today, maybe he will make supper.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Grey and windy today, feels like weather moving in. Not supposed to get much. Just blustery.

Ruj, when DH wants me to "help" it usually means showing him where all the ingredients are and then waiting around in the living room to answer questions. Your other recipes sound good for a cold day.

DH did not go move furniture last night. I don't know if they had enough help already or didn't get a truck or what. The sloppy joe mix came out good, but didn't make as much as I'd hoped. I did prove to myself that I could add a whole grated carrot and half a cup of cauliflower (and probably more) and nobody would notice it wasn't all meat. I bet ground up mushrooms would work, too, if they weren't so expensive right now.

Dlr, I make my own mix from whatever dried fruit I can find. Dried cranberries, raisins, dates, shredded coconut, apricots, whatever. Once it is chopped and soaked in sugar and rum nobody can tell what it is. It's a good way to use up stuff that has gotten too dry to snack on.

Leftovers for dinner tonight. Time to clean out the fridge for next week. Too many little containers of this-and-that. Freezer is the same, I did another inventory last night and am trying to match up ingredients for meals. A lot of it requires me buying more ingredients....

Hope everyone is having a good week.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Windy and 20 degrees cooler today. I should have run errands yesterday. I'm assuming I don't have the girls this afternoon. Dgd will come later tonight to spend the night and then little sis will be here in the morning for an hour or so. Yesterday I stayed home all day. Sat on the deck for a little bit and then cleaned out the popcorn machine.

Today I'll go to the library. Dgd and I can read some Thanksgiving books tomorrow. One of the stores has turkeys for $0.89/lb and they have a few other things I want. I didn't make it to get the sales for last week. There were canned veggies on sale, but I can get them for the same price every day at walmart or aldi. Decided I didn't need to go. But I do want another turkey for the freezer. I usually buy 4 each year, but they have been a lot bigger than I'd like. Still don't know if I'm cooking for Thanksgiving this year. I'll ask ds on Sunday. He should know their plans by then. He doesn't like going to his inlaws family. One year, there were so many people, he had to stand to eat his food. He said he's not doing that again. But who knows if the plans have changed. I'm always the last to know.

Dh wants chicken livers for dinner, so I'll go this afternoon and get them and some chicken for dinner. They have a deal for an 8 pc legs and thighs for $5.99. $2 more for a couple of sides.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Thanks Rujerro.. I am ..think just sinuses acting up. sunny today but lots of frost. did one store and volunteer accounting stuff. shopped at store too cus I needed milk and creamo ..creamo cheaper there. plus needed more cat treats and wild bird seed. plus some cereal. picked up some xmas stuff those prepacked gifts. remember those chilled plastic beer steins in the 90s that were the rage? but they would last long break leak from being refrozen. Well got one of those for ds .. he will think it is a thrill. stopped at another store on way home cus marked down cake plus got some candy cane ice cream and new thing ice cream treats..gingerbread ice cream dipped in choc or mint in the box. one of those try once or twice. I ordered fruit cake and others treats from local charity..grandma baking so always good! did it last year too plus one for neighbour.

dh is upset with me cus he said lets get a roki stick ..fine so we can have all the stuff on one thing disney etc. said can we put the tv on the wall so we don't have to look at the mounting. it is a sony 42" flat screen which is quite nice but a few years old so doesn't have all the software. He is so no new tv..I am you know you have your moms eyes so no tv is going to be big enough in the future. and then I realized that the old one didn't even pay for itself. was at least 900$ 60" and had for 2 yrs before it blew up. I am picky about screen quality too so no $400 tvs for me. only reason we got another one is because he couldn't read the guide well enough. He doesn't even read subtitles or tape anything. I was nice but you know pride is hurt. We have other tv's too..that rarely get used plus projectors etc. Small livingroom and you notice the tv..maybe in the future.

Turns out flooded areas are where there used to be a big lake that got drained in the 20s for farmland so explains why it floods every few decades. of course horrible for the people and the poor animals. and now people are panic buying here limits on tp, milk etc cus of that...like a couple blocks away..trust me we are way up no floods etc. like 1 to 4hrs away drive is where the issues are. Govt saying don't hoard. no reason. sad. There is others ways to get food in which is true. Plus all the people making food for people and sending it in. The president of a local chain of grocery stores is on news saying don't we will get groceries in but if you don't stop we will put rationing in. The amount of stores here I can shop at is nuts from veggie markets to major chains so lacking food is not a concern.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I've got the chicken & mushroom ragu in the crockpot and it smells sooooo good.......I'll cook linguine in the afternoon.

I didn't make the cookies...yet.

DS2 missed a make-up class since his last class dismissed everyone late. He got there but everyone was gone...Hhmmm... He tried emailing the professor but no response. He will get to school early in hopes of making up this test. And he NEEDS the extra points. This professor was so upset with the class on the last test that he had everyone take another test but it was more like a "practical" (a term in my day for a test in which the professor gives you a question and you show the answer either on the blackboard or perform the answer on a student if it is a medical question) and DS2 has never had a practical before.....Hope he can get it done.

I earned a $5 ebay gc.

Will pay a cc in the morning. I got a refund and it showed up online. So, do I pay the balance it states on line or the balance that was mailed to me (before the refund)? I called the cc company and they told me to pay the old balance and then ask for a check mailed to me..Otherwise, I'll end up paying interest since the bill says an amount and if I send in a lower amount, then, bammo, I get hit with an interest payment...Despite my balance being less due to the refund.

I had a MD appt and was told at my last appt that this one would be very fast. Just stop in for a quick test and leave. I called the doc to say that I can get the test done cheaper than what my copay + test in the office would be if just get it done on my own and send her the result. She said ok....I said can I have a script for the test? My insurance won't charge me a lot....She said no. Just go get it yourself....Meaning, go to the walk-in lab and ask for it and pay out of pocket.....That way costs me $27 but if she gave me a script, it would've been $10. Had I gone into her office, it would've been $60. I ordered it for $27 and will go to the lab....

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Good morning. Placed a Target order for shipment. They don't carry some things in the local store - barley for instance. I'll look for meat mark-downs at the grocery store and get sweet potatoes on sale. Checked the special offers to cash in points and there were some good deals so I will get them. In the mood to bake something. Started wondering what chocolate pumpkin pie would be like and of course there are recipes....
Trying to use up some old pantry stuff before year end, will go back to eating hot cereal for breakfast. Extra work but will be nice to free up space. Wheat and oat bran make into muffins. Have a good day.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Dlr, chocolate and pumpkin go together very well. I found a recipe for chocolate pumpkin muffins I want to try. Offered DH a choice between pecan pie, chocolate pumpkin torte, and cherry pie for Thanksgiving, and he picked cherry. Oh well. Maybe I'll do the pumpkin at Christmas. On the plus side, the cherries take up so much freezer space, it will be nice to have that back.

Some good items on offer for grocery points here, too. Have until Christmas to cash in, so I think I will let points build a while. Got everything I can think of for next week, but there's always one thing...

Freezing this morning, starting to warm up a bit, but it's a day to spend inside.

Ruj, crockpots are a blessing. Hope DS can make up that test. I had something similar happen in college. Got there 30 mins late for the final exam and the room was empty. Prof had moved to a larger room and not left a note on the blackboard. I was so panicked. Then someone from my class got up to use the bathroom and I recognized them in the hall.... just barely squeaked by on that exam.

M, we have areas like that near the river here. Nice flat farmland that "only" floods every few decades. BIL bought a nice new house down there about 30 years ago.... lost everything. Don't mess with Mother Nature, she wins every time.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Cold and windy though sunny, not a day for outside work. Going to organize the pantry a bit, make a plan to use some things up. Quiche for supper to clear some odds & ends from the fridge, and some baking that will store or freeze well. Hope everyone is staying warm.

1601 - 1620 of 1662 Posts