Frugal Village Forums banner
1621 - 1640 of 1662 Posts

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Sunny, cold (31F), and breezy here. May warm up enough for a walk later. Staying home, have no desire to hit any of the "pre black friday" sales or do any shopping. Need less crap not more.

Bought butter on sale this week, so I can think about holiday baking. I try to do 2-3 recipes at the same time, while the oven is hot and the bowls are out. I may start a new discussion thread for that.

Trying to figure out how I'm going to get DH's presents wrapped with him at home. Usually do it in the basement, but he works there now.

Pork chops or chopped steak with green beans for dinner. Maybe a nice sliced tomato from the garden on the side.

Hope everyone is staying warm today.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It's cold, but at least the sun is shining. I do want to go to walmart today. There are a few last minute things to pick up. Dgd decided she wanted to go to Nana's/aunts house for Thanksgiving. Now she is upset because she wants to eat pumpkin pie. Last year she didn't get any because she didn't eat all of her food. We were sick with covid last year, so she couldn't have any here. I'm going to see if she can spend the night on Tuesday and help me make pies on Wednesday. Maybe we'll make one pumpkin Tuesday, so she can eat some before she leaves. I told her I would save her a piece of pie to eat when she gets back. Tonight, we may make some pumpkin muffins.

Dh's sister comes tomorrow. We have to pick her up from the airport. I wish I knew if ds was coming. He said it would be last minute if he did. I'm thinking the weather may stop him. They are predicting rain and possible snow next weekend and it could be worse for him to travel.

Did a Sams run yesterday. They didn't have any toilet paper. I wasn't looking for any. Just noticed that the shelves were empty. May run to walmart today. I'm looking for some new nightgowns and possibly a new blanket. I can't remember if we gave away my old minky blanket. That would be perfect if we still have it. I'll ask dh if he remembers what we did with it. If we gave it away, I'll have to look for a new blanket. The batting inside is basically gone. You can see right through it. May pick up something for dinner while I'm out.

CH - your dinner sounds yummy and healthy.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hello frugals!

Sis texted asking if she could drop by and do a load of laundry tonight, which was inconvenient, but whatever... only instead she dropped of my niece(18) and then went over to her friend's house... I am sooooo dead exhausted, between shifts at the hospital, and just saw this niece to talk her through some college stuff YESTERDAY on my one solid day off... I am trying so hard to stay awake to be polite, but I am wiped out and do not have the emotional batteries to entertain/counsel/comfort/ or otherwise attend anyone tonight... urgh....

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Jetts- Hope you find your blanket.
Z-Why would your sister bring your niece over when she knows your busy schedule? ugh

I was reading up on colloidal silver and its benefits so I bought some online. Let's see what it can do...

DH is making breakfast burritos today for dinner. I may make gingerbread from a mix from Williams-Sonoma since DS2 loves gingerbread. I saw it and the ladies said it always sells out...

SH asked DS1 to come over to watch a tv show but not sure if he will do that.
I hope to organize my stockpile. Time to put like items in the same tote and label it.

My sis sent me a dehumidifier....DH said she needs it since she lives in Florida. I agree.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Made Biscuick quiche and scones yesterday. Leftovers for supper tonight, hubby said he will be home late from work. Still cold but no wind so I'll rake and bag leaves. Finished a library book and I'll try not to start any new ones for a while, I get engrossed and other things are neglected. Lots to do around here. Have a good weekend.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'm making cookies for DH. I made cranberry muffins for me.
DH made burritos and smoked flank steak because someone told him him the steak would taste like brisket... DS2 said it kind of tasted like brisket.....
Nice day today. I had pressure in my head and laid down most of the day. It comes and goes. I think it's my med. I had nightmares, severe joint pain and this pressure- all side effects. I'm certain doc doesn't believe me as she said to take more. I called UCLA and they are doing zoom appts only now.....DH wants me to make one with them. They are 1200 miles away.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Ruj hope you feel better. Smoked flank steak does sound good. I have not figured out supper for tonight yet.
Hubby is off work and says he will help with leaves today after he finishes watching television. Because -- priorities.
I remembered to get the turkey out of the freezer so there is space in there again. Found the oatmeal peanut butter cookie recipe so could make those. Finished knitting a hat for donation and started another one. Need to get gifts for hubby. His birthday is in December also.....

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Good morning, Frugals!!!!!

Yes, that is a lot of exclamation points, but I am excited because I have a day off today. :D And so far, I am the only one awake (well, H is probably half-awake, but he is not up here, so the house is quiet and nobody needs anything from me just yet, so yeah, pretty exciting to have a moment to breathe!!!)

I have been reading along with y'all whenever I have a moment here-and-there, but never enough time to form a truly coherent thought. Well, except Friday night, "I am exhausted," is coherent, I guess 😜 I totally failed at staying awake, I told my niece "I am tired, I am going to lay on the couch here next to you, but don't be offended if I start snoring..." and I THINK I remember hearing my sister come and ask if the laundry was dry, and eventually I woke up and she was gone... DN18 had her computer and stuff to do, so I'm sure she was fine, and if not, oh well. I have zero energy to care about that right now and I warned people it would be this way. :ROFLMAO:

It is almost over! I have another day shift tomorrow (the last one with me "good" preceptor) and then one more Saturday with the "gruff" preceptor, then I am done!!!! And off W-F in between! My last graded thing I need to do is a final exam Tuesday (for which I have looked at ZERO of the material, like not even opened the powerpoints at all) but I am not in the running for valedictorian and I am getting an A in my other class, which means if I end up with a B in this class, my GPA would not change much, so I will cram like crazy tonight and tomorrow night around the rest of the things on my to-do list, but it is not my biggest focus. I have senior-itis SOooooooo bad, y'all!!!! 🤣

Today my big focus is getting the fridge cleaned out and getting the turkey thawing. At 11 when the beauty supply store opens, DD14 wants me to run her over there to get some things, which is fine, I want to pick up some wax and do my eyebrows, lip, and legs... I have NOT been primping this semester 😜:LOL: Then for the rest of the day, I have lots to do with little graduation preparations.... the fun kind... the thank you notes, the parting gifts for classmates , that sort of thing.

H started to fuss at me yesterday because I have not been paying him tons of attention, so I fussed back that he has been giving me inadequate support -- "Have a nice day" texts when you finally wake up and I am already in the city are nice, I guess, but what I really want is to come home and find the house not-messier, the kids in ok shape, and not a line of people clamoring for attention that HE could have given them... So I told reminded him quite bluntly that we talked about how hard this couple of weeks would be, and that yes, his health issues are major and concerning, but stable and not going to change before I say goodbye to most of friends and take my last final exam on Tuesday... he is waking up now, and just let the chickens out, so maybe he understood a little... lets see if he helps with the kitchen at all this morning...;)

Ok, time is up, have a great day!!! Be happy with me!!!

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Only a few more days Zhoen! I'm excited for you. Good luck on the exam. What are you going to do with all the time off afterward?

Ruj, hope you're feeling better today. The dry air and changing weather has been giving me headaches, too.

Quiet and sunny here this morning. Cool but not freezing and may warm up to a nice day. I think yesterday was almost 60. Collecting up trash and recyclables for pick up this week. Amazing how it accumulates. Going to try to get in a walk today.

Did a meal plan last night for the coming week. Should not need anything, but plan to pick up sale items like butter and bacon that are really low priced right now. DH is almost out of milk, too. Going to look through the freezer for the bigger turkey I already purchased, and see how long it needs to thaw. It's not huge.

Cooked a corned beef in the crockpot yesterday, so that is one out of the freezer. It was from Aldi and half of it was fat. They usually have a lot of fat, but this was the worst I think I've seen. Over an inch thick in places, thicker than the meat. Anyway, enough left over for sandwiches at some point when I don't want to cook.

Dinner tonight is teriyaki chicken and broccoli over rice. If I find any frozen spring rolls we'll have those too.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Sunny and cold but likely to get up to 50 today. Planning to stay home even though my mailbox is filling up with Black Friday sales. Would be a good day to do some garden cleanup, because weeds are easy to spot right now. Usual things to do around the house. Not having visitors for the holiday but we would like to clean it up a little more.

Turkey is thawing. It's not large but I didn't want to forget it. Going out tomorrow for vegetables. The broccoli I bought did not last.

Not exactly sure what dinner is. Spinach and beet salad with something, an easy soup or sandwich. Thinking of making an apple crisp.

Reactions: Zhoen

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Z- Yay that it's almost over! I hope your DH cleaned up a bit, cooked and possibly kept everyone busy.. Give you some freedom....
CH- Teriyaki chicken sounds good. Do you make it from scratch?

I was able to get DS2 a balaclava (winter face mask) for free from cc points and signed up for a free month of Amazon Prime. The item will be delivered tomorrow. Super fast delivery.....

I wanted brisket for a new recipe and the local market has it at $7.99/lb and huge slabs costing $75... Sam's club is $4.34/lb and a slab is $85.... DH wants to smoke it and we were given a $50 Sam's club gc so we'll get one.

For dinner today, I'm baking chicken cordon bleu with a side of spinach. We still have some burritos left over.

DH took a turkey out of the freezer and gave it a water bath to thaw it a bit. We'll see if it thaws. One year, we ended up poaching it.

Running errands today- lab work, store, Sam's club, pharmacy, bank, gym... I'll see if work needs me a few hours, even though it's my day off. We had someone quit and with a busy week, they may need more help.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Good morning. Sunny and cold. This winter is going to feel really long. My "new" coat doesn't feel warm enough, have to put on more layers I guess. Some house cleaning today and chili for supper if I can find ground beef in the freezer. Wrapped a box of items (cookie jar, platter, bowls) to mail to replacements.com and do that when I go out to Physical Therapy at lunch time. Hopefully some extra $$$. That cleared one shelf in a cupboard, they were bulky. Hope everyone is staying warm.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Sunny and warmer today. Need to run to Target to pick up a couple of orders. Dgd begged us for one more gift. Of course she has Papa wrapped around her little finger. Picking up something to send back with Sil for her dgd. She calls several times a day and wants to see us too. Need to return some socks and a bag of chips to walmart. The bag had a slit in the top. Since the socks are too big, I'll take the chips back too. Otherwise, I would have just thrown them out.

Slipped in the tub yesterday and hit my foot/big toe on the shower door frame. Nice bruise now. Threw the bath mat out and bought a new one last night. I've been needing to change it out for a while and never did. Now I have a sore foot.

I did find my blanket in the garage. I was so happy. I forgot how big it was, but it's so cozy. The cat loves sleeping on it. She sleeps next to me all night now. Got all my Christmas shopping done. Even stocking stuffers. If there is anything else, I can do grocery pick up. I usually get jerky and candy for some of the stockings. I haven't gotten the jerky yet.

Probably go out for taco Tuesday tonight. If Sil has other plans, then we'll probably do something else. Then go get dgd. She's going to spend the night and help me make pies tomorrow. Yesterday we learned about the first Thanksgiving and made a bracelet to remind her of the story. She did pretty good at retelling. She'll go to nana's on Thanksgiving. We may make some cornbread and butter tomorrow too. When she gets back we'll take down the fall/thanksgiving decor and start putting up Christmas. Bought a new tub to pack everything away.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Chilly this morning but sunny and warming up. Supposed to get to 60. It's my day out and I'm hoping to just enjoy the day, have lunch and do a little shopping. Wasn't planning to get a lot, DH needs milk, I want to get fresh vegs, eggs and a few things on the list. Bacon and butter are still on sale.

One of DH's work buddies is going to fire up a 500lb smoker tomorrow and everyone is invited to bring meat to smoke for free. I'm going to get ribs and a chuck roast out of the freezer this evening. Probably some will be dinner tomorrow.

Ruj, that sounds like a good price for brisket. Hope it comes out well. Yes, I make my own teriyaki, it's 5 ingredients: soy sauce, asian vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger. I get the garlic and ginger already chopped in big jars from the asian grocery. Use some of the mixture as marinade, save some to drizzle on top after it's cooked.

Jetts, glad you found your blanket. The nights definitely are getting colder.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Ok, let me just start with it's crazy that I log on and y'all are talking about teriyaki chicken, because that's what I just made for dinner, which was planned weeks and weeks ago before things got all crazy... great minds 😜

I only got an 80-something on the final (there will be some adjustments, but not much,) so I will end up with a B in that class, but can live with that... I care more about not-caring than about the grade itself. I like to think that not caring as much about "gotta get the A" is a sign of maturity, not laziness/exhaustion :ROFLMAO: I have ZERO intention of pursuing any further degrees in this field, just continuing ed to stay abreast of developments. I was flattered that my lovely young classmates invited me to join them at the bar after the test, but I hate crowds, so I went and bought chicken food instead 🙃
Only a few more days Zhoen! I'm excited for you. Good luck on the exam. What are you going to do with all the time off afterward?
Clean the house. It is insane in here. ;P

I hope your DH cleaned up a bit, cooked and possibly kept everyone busy.. Give you some freedom....
Hope is a dangerous thing! Luckily I didn't hope, and was therefore not disappointed ;P But DD18 did wash some dished this afternoon when directly ordered to and told that I could not cook dinner unless they were out of my way. We are all just sick of convenience foods. Drive thru, delivery, frozen, ALL of it... I drank a cup of just plain skim milk today and it was the best thing I have tasted in WEEKS (cafeterias only have 2 percent, if they have milk at all)

Wrapped a box of items (cookie jar, platter, bowls) to mail to replacements.com and do that when I go out to Physical Therapy at lunch time. Hopefully some extra $$$.
I love them! Many, MANY years ago, I discovered them when my grandmother downsized and gave me an incomplete set of Noritake that she had bought in Japan as a young military wife. I always joke that it's not really a holiday until something gets broken, so I still get replacement pieces from them from time to time. They have never found me the legendary teapot that supposedly exists in my pattern, though... :( These days my in-laws live about an hour and a half from their show room, so every couple of years I stop in and get a few pieces, as needed. Saves on the shipping and it is my little reward for enduring all that family time ;D

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
This is long and probably boring. If you're not interested in my grocery list you can skip it, but I need to hash this out.

Well, my "quick stop to pick up a few things" turned into another $130 shopping spree. I was not throwing t-bones or bottles of liquor into my cart. All of it seemed reasonable at the time. 56 items of which 38 were impulse items, which sounds bad but there were 8 yogurt cups ($4), 5 candy bars (3.15, stocking stuffers), 4 cans of soup ( $4, food pantry), and 4 boxes of cocoa (6.56), so that's 22 of the 38. I also bought a $10 bag of chocolates as my donation to a holiday party, an extra dozen eggs, a bag of brown sugar, a marked down box of keto bars for DH, and a bag of cheddar popcorn (gift for DH). Two absolute straight up unnecessary purchases: a 2022 kitten calendar (1.49) and a package of Santa themed paper plates (1.19)

I spent
11.96 on 4lbs of bacon
7.09 on vegs: onion, apple, asparagus, potatoes and zucchini
2.99 for cotton swabs
1.88 chicken broth (-.50 coupon)
4.03 ham
12.00 2lbs bbq beans and corn
7.50 on crescent rolls (-1.00 coupon)
3.98 cheese
5.98 milk (2 qts)
4.39 half gallon egg nog
3.54 2lbs butter
1.79 eggs
4.98 cottage cheese x2
5.29 ice cream bars for DH

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
CH not bad because I know you will consume all those food items and nothing will be wasted.
Box was mailed (expensively) to Replacements. I insured it, but it better not arrive broken because fighting w/ the post office is not part of my plan. Got more exercises at Physical Therapy. The guy is friendly and entertaining, we talked about house and yard plants while he was bending my arm in a lot of uncomfortable directions. Some unexpected activity in the afternoon while a rather amateur crew cut down neighbor's large dead tree not far uphill from our house. 5 guys, lots of yelling, no helmets or eye protection. Scary.
Cleaned the kitchen yesterday, today laundry, vacuum and prep foods for tomorrow. Hubby has gone to work so quiet. Hope everyone has a peaceful day.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Cloudy and warm today. Supposed to be cold tomorrow. Dh went to work 1/2 day. He gets 1/2 day off paid by the company the day before a holiday. Dgd spent the night. We made one pumpkin pie. I didn't want to make all the pies yesterday, but she got to make and eat her pumpkin pie. I'm going to have some for breakfast. She wanted crepes this morning. I need to get her into the bath. She'll probably stay most of the day with us. She can help dh in the garage or wash the car while I make the rest of the pies.

CH - unfortunately your groceries are the new norm. I've gone a couple of times, thinking I'm only going to be spending $50-60 and end up paying over $100. Price have gone up all around. 5 cents here and dime there. It adds up. You did get some great deals. I shop between 3 stores usually. Most coming from walmart or aldi. I stocked up on the bacon and butter while on sale. My freezer is full of bacon!

Been feeling a bit down the past few days. I think I've figured it out. This year, Sil came to visit. Ds2 was supposed to come, but changed his plans and went to visit someone in Florida. Ds1 and dgd were going to stay here for thanksgiving, but dgd decided she wanted to go to nanas. All the plans changed and I guess I feel a bit disappointed. One day, I'll get it through my head that it's just dh & I and that's it. Make plans for us. Tonight we're going to golden corral for dinner. They usually have a decent thanksgiving spread the night before. Tomorrow, who knows where we'll go. I still may do a quick thaw on a turkey and cook a dinner. I bought everything over the past few weeks, so I would have all of it. Anymore, I really dislike the holidays.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Grey and windy today, but pretty warm for November (55 at dawn) may be sprinkles later. Time to get cooking. One of DH's co-workers has a huge (like you could camp in it) bbq smoker he is firing up today, all day, and invited people to bring meat over. So I'm taking a slab of ribs and a large chuck roast over. That will be dinner, along with the beans and corn I bought yesterday. There will be a lot of leftovers for later in the winter.

I'm also starting the cranberry jello fruit salad since it has to sit in the fridge. I may get to the cherry pie later. Tomorrow the bird is all DH's job.

Thanks, Dlr. No, it won't be wasted, but it sure feels like I used to buy more than that for about half that price not too long ago. A third of it was snacks for DH. He's set for a while now. And the candy was a one-time thing.

Jetts, too bad about the family. Ours are all gone, or living somewhere else. Mine doesn't care enough to stay in touch, but DH's brother calls or texts. Enjoy the buffet. They used to have a decent prime rib. DH's folks took us for Christmas dinner there one year, that was when he told them we were getting married. :)

Well, gotta get moving.

Reactions: marthamfi
1621 - 1640 of 1662 Posts