Frugal Village Forums banner
1641 - 1660 of 1662 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
CH seems like my husband and I had the same conversation yesterday.....we stopped at Aldi's and he said "is this going to be another run in for milk and $99 later trip?" I assured him no as I was only going to pick up butter and not even getting a cart....BUT then I picked up my purse and the strap broke....so had to get a cart....first mistake...lol....bill was $63.....he never says anything, he just pays the bill....

I am making the best of the holidays....Jetts it's hard when holidays change....wish we could all go back to past years and get along....I'm just making dinner for the two of us...grands are all going to gf's home or their mom's. Son and family is going to wife's family ranch to be with her mom (who is really alone so I don't mind).....so that leaves us alone...I would be lying if I said it doesn't depress me sometimes but I can't let it get me down.....I am making the best of it...

Got to get these totes out of the living room....I picked up a bunch of matchbox cars last weekend....went to six DG and was able to get 74 matchbox cars. Then I picked up 174 new shirts for about .20 cents each, a couple of small dolls, and a bunch of pencils and pens at an auction....my sister is knitting blankets for all my dolls...

Last week CVS gifted me with a $5 extra bucks....good only for that one day so I ran in and found a Barbie like doll for $5 so got it free...

Middle grandson is moving into his own apartment in January (no room mate) so I picked up a really beautiful heavy solid wood end table and a really nice lamp. He has everything else he needs except furniture since he does live on his own but with room mate now.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone....stay healthy and safe....

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Yes that is the thing getting older isn't it. Plus the last couple of years ..either got you out of family stuff you are happy about or you miss. most of the stuff I miss is more that group shut down so the parties we did etc. just part of life changes. going to xmas play w a friend and her mom so that is nice cus we haven't had a chance to do that w covid like we always did. I figure celebrate holidays on different days makes it fun. my dd 19th is coming up and she doesnt' know what she wants to do ..I really don't want to be bothered with a big family thing but guess I have too..means cleaning lol get all that cat hair. I got her gifts already. She doesn't have a lot of friends so no big party for them so will see. asked her yesterday if she thought of anything. just not feeling great cus that thing menopause would take care of but hasn't hit me yet and I am 56 sigh. every month I hope.

ch that is good prices on the bacon. I am a believer in snacks and ice cream lol always handy. Even if you aren't making Thanksgiving dinner may as well get the sales to use another time.

dry here though chilly but more rain coming...cats are all back to bed. just the usual laundry, housework..what is for dinner.. would tell dh to pick up pizza but we just had it sunday at event and leftovers. and my mom phoned to see if we wanted more leftover pizza..said no too old of course ds wanted it said don't need upset systems. raccoons can have it. I hear the crows I think on the porch eating the rest the dry cat food I put out for the visiting cat. bowl rattled lol. boys didn't finish the donair meatloaf so the crows got an expensive breakfast yesterday. too old to freeze. and the moldy pepperoni today. but don't care if seagulls or crows complain..well there is a lot of rice out there to eat. I got Indian food Monday so that was dinner last two days and was making more rice.. well ds set off the breaker using microwave when washer was on..can't do that here. but didn't listen to me to turn the rice cooker back on. of course when I make even more rice cus the cooker works better. so was almost cooked but not great so used it for dinner and rest out for the wildlife.
got half price deals on sunflower seeds for the birds 2 bags one for me and one for my mom on monday. will go to the library since working at the store there today. may pick up milk will see. just bought some monday and almost all gone.

ds took the bottles back to refund place so that bin is empty..was falling out off the back porch. one more load of wash to do and dinner to figure out maybe easy dumplings and bok choy soup.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
BW, I usually don't get a cart at Aldi, take my re-useable bag and if it doesn't fit then it stays on the list until next time. Otherwise I buy too much. Need to start doing that at the regular grocery. I only get a cart because of the milk, it's too heavy for my hands, and the huge bags of cat food.

We drove over this morning and dropped off the meat to get smoked. I'm hoping it comes out good. I got more of the kitchen cleaned, and the fruit salad made.

Oh, ACE hardware had poinsettias for 3.99. They're in 4" pots, but the ones at my store are about a foot tall! I'm thinking of putting it in a larger pot so it won't fall over.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
CH going have to try that not getting a cart....I always spend wayyy too much money there....I use to hunt for the nicest poinsettias I could find at the cheapest price....would buy 60 of them to line the hallway of the church for our annual Christmas program. So glad I don't have that chore....we have an ACE right around the corner and I might run over there and pick up a few....heck I just decorated for Thanksgiving....lol....

That was a good price on bacon CH....about $3 a pound? That is unheard of here....I have four pounds in freezer which I am hoarding LOL....I feel like I am hoarding butter....I got eight yesterday and Kroger is having it for $1.99 again so will pick up a few more....I saw it for $4.99 last week....are they nuts???
Hope your meat turns out great....

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving!🍗🥧

I got home and made a pumpkin pie. While it's baking, I've got laundry going and I vacuumed the LR and den. DH will smoke a turkey, make his mom's version of stuffing and then we'll have spinach, biscuits, gravy, mashed potatoes and who knows what else. DS1 is coming over for dinner.

Peg-Those were some great deals!
CH- How did the meat turn out?
Martha- I'm still waiting for hot flashes.....This time of year would be nice, ya know? Not sure what's going on with me either. Some months, it skips, then it will show up another month. I understand that if 12 months pass, then it's gone forever. Well, I was at month number 8 and then it showed up....Gotta start all over. ::sigh::

I want to get some fresh evergreen items for the living room since I don't put up a tree. I went online to Etsy and ordered a holly & evergreen table centerpiece. I am thinking of a wreath above the fireplace and the grocery store has them, but they don't have a smell. I'll keep looking....

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
BW, yes, price of bacon has been going up up up. Haven't seen it at that price in about a year, which is why I bought as much as allowed. Still a lot of limits on quantity of some items.

The smoked meats came out ok, not great. The ribs didn't get done, which was a little disappointing, but it's ok. I'm going to wrap them well and freeze, and finish cooking in the oven at a later date, which was the plan to begin with. The chuck roast was dry and tough, probably not a good candidate for the smoking process. Lots of fat still on it. I sliced some real thin and we had sandwiches with lots of mayo for dinner, then I put it back in the oven with water in the pan, covered for two hours on low and let it finish rendering out the fat. It's more tender this morning, but still a bit dry. It's already in the freezer with its cooking liquid. When I reheat it I will make a gravy to go with it. We got to try someone's salmon, which came out really well. They got whole sides of fish at Costco, I believe. It was good quality.

Hot flashes also made me dizzy, I wouldn't recommend them :) Also got really bad anxiety and mood swings. Had to go back on BC until I could get a script for hormone therapy. Was a miserable couple of months.

Anyway, sunny and very cold this morning, was below freezing when I got up. Had cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Going to relax and enjoy the day. Turkey is thawed and DH will cook it. I'll do baked potatoes, green beans, and stuffing. Making a pie after lunch. Got to clean the kitchen before I do that. And get DH to clear the table so it doesn't look like we're eating dinner in a junk shop.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Cold but sunny today. No plans to go out for anything other than a walk around the block. Had a small dinner last night, not much in the way of leftovers. Didn't make stuffing or a lot of sides. Have enough meat for sandwiches and a pot pie with leftover gravy. Most of the pie left.....

Cat going to the vet later. She's been scratching enough to have fur come off in spots.

Sandwiches for dinner.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving....my middle grandson stopped by and ate dinner....I think he ate at his Mom's but didn't want to hurt my feelings so he ate a small plate....sent him home with a plate for today. The turkey breast I got was horrible and I gave it to the possums last night. Didn't go all out so not many leftovers other then pie....I did make the rum chata pie with vanilla pudding and cool whip. It's really good but I need to freeze it....husband doesn't like it...wouldn't even try it....I have three doctor appointments in the next three weeks and I don't need to be eating that pie...lol
We ran to DG yesterday as they had their toys Buy 1 Get 1 75% off.....picked up four packages of cute little four inch cars that plays music and lights up...three in package for $5 so I two packages for $6.25....so of course I got four packages....
I usually don't venture out on holidays but had nothing else to do. Holidays just aren't the same when you get old....

It was windy and cold yesterday as we got a cold front in....
If you are shopping please be careful....so much stuff going on.....stay safe....

·
Super Moderator
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,652 ·
Usual "day after holiday" at the food shelf today, very few customers, TONS of desserts. Also leftovers from the big community meal that a church puts on. I came home with a bag each of mashed potatoes and stuffing, a container of squash and one of cranberry sauce. I don't even miss the turkey. Also 4 pieces of pie, home made.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Sunny and not too cold today. Dh fixed the car for the lady across the street. They've been trying to find a good mechanic and it was a small part that was easy. Her battery posts were corroded, dh cleaned those and then she had no oil in her car. She left it here until she could get her grandson to take her to get oil. It wasn't completely dry, but she needs to watch it so she doesn't ruin her engine. I'm glad I have someone looking out for my cars. She tried to pay us, but we said no, that's okay this time.

Went to menards to pick up a paint roller. Dh trying to refinish the bathtub. It's not going so well. It wasn't too busy. Picked up some new dog toys and found some laser pointers that dgd was wanting. They aren't pink, but she'll just have to understand. No way I'm going to petco. Neither one near me is in a good place, traffic wise. Dgd likes to play with the cats and dogs with the pointer. Forgot to look to see if they still had a lamp that was in their ad. It's not a necessity, just something I think dgd would have liked. Went to walmart market for groceries. Spent $170. I did stock up on chicken wings and cat food. We have another stray cat that comes around sometimes, so we feed him. I haven't been able to find chicken wings lately. I stocked up. Not sure how long they will last. Dh likes to cook them on Sunday when ds comes over. Picked up dgd. Her mom had been gone all day. I would have gotten her earlier if I'd known. Ds is trying to work from home. I just don't get this generation. They have no problem leaving their responsibilities to go play. My nephew's wife does the same thing. If I left the boys when they were little, it was usually a church activity for a couple of hours and then I was right back home. Otherwise, I was always with them at home.

Thanksgiving was quiet. Watched a couple of movies. Went to dinner around 5pm. Thought we'd try Black Bear Diner. It was a short wait. I'm sure it was busier earlier in the day. It was a limited menu, but they had prime rib, ham or turkey and then a few other things that are on the regular menu. Dh said it was an old people's place. I looked at him and said, sorry, I think we're old. The day started off disappointing, but ended on a good note. Still missed by boys and dgds. Dh's brother was sure we were going to Ihop for breakfast. That was never the plan, so he missed out.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Jetts- We went to Black Bear Diner and loved it. We were in California and it was a cozy place.

Peg- I wonder why the turkey wasn't good and got tossed...Bummer.

The only thing left from Thanksgiving were drumsticks, so they got thrown into the crockpot with bay leaves/pepper/broth and will cook on low until falling apart. Then, we'll take the leaves and drumsticks out, get the meat from the drum sticks and throw it back into the broth with a bag of mixed veg and wild rice. Then we'll let it cook until dinner.

The market was selling fresh turkeys from Butterball for $15 each- any size. So I got a nearly 15 pounder. It's in the freezer.

DS2 is still waiting for a grade from a test. It's been 3 weeks and this class has been quite difficult. Only 3 weeks to go until the semester is done.

Our homeowner's insurance went up 20%, so I'll be calling around to see if I can get a better price. When I call, the agents usually want to know what company I'm insuring through and how much I'm paying. I tell them that none of that matters. I will tell them my policy details and they tell me their best price. I will say Yes or No to their offer and then move on. I'm nice like that.😈

I'll get DS2 a pr of sneakers from ebay for Christmas. He's wearing that style now and it's been discontinued and hard to find. But where can i find size 13 high tops? And for $65? I can return them after Christmas if need be.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Jetts, I have not seen wings much either. They used to be cheap, but then they got popular and the price went up. In the last 2 years I haven't seen them very often and always $$$$.

Ruj, your turkey and rice stew sounds yummy and comforting. Good deal on the fresh turkey. I am trying to avoid more shopping. Already spent way over budget this month. Got the grocery ads the other day and tossed them straight into the recycle bin so I wouldn't be tempted.

Hope everyone had a good holiday. It's quiet and cold here. Sunny, and may warm a little. We had a nice walk yesterday. A little turkey breast left, we did not do a whole bird. Sandwiches for lunch today and pot pie tomorrow. I'll boil the carcass for broth tonight.

Last night's dinner was bean soup. Cleaned 2 containers of leftover beans, 2 of veg broth, and 1 of tomato from the garden out of the freezer. Came out good. Dinner tonight is hamburgers. Will use up some buns from a week or two ago, and more tomatoes. The ones in the garage are "ripening".

Christmas lights have been up since last year. Need to test them. DH has to find an extension cord. It's only going to get colder now, so we need to get it done sooner rather than later. Some of the neighbors have lights on already.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
NO NO CH.....I am the grouch that complains (only to husband) that people haven't taken their Christmas lights down and it's July.....LOL....I should talk....I still have my spring fake flowers in the front along with the halloween pumpkin, next to the Easter bunny, the two pilgrims standing by the fall banner, with the 4th of July Welcome sign.....I need to get out there and take it all down and put Christmas up....lol...I'm surprise HOA hasn't said anything...it's all neat, but different seasons for sure.....

I am in process of taking down my fall decor inside the house....trying to condense....I really love the fall and have way too much....I am giving some away to a young couple who just bought a house. Gave her a bunch of stuff few months ago and a few weeks ago she sent me pictures of her table for fall decorated with the stuff I gave her....I really appreciated that.....I know she is using and enjoying it...

Didn't do any black friday shopping other then ordered 40 dozen pencils from Amazon.

Ran to Trader Joe's yesterday (don't go there very often) and got two almond pastry they only have once a year. I will freeze and ration it out. It is so good....price has gone up of course. I didn't get any last year but did get two in 2019 and I think I paid $7.....it was $8.50 this year. Everything is going up.

I was picking up one of my auctions and I saw a beautiful comforter and remarked to the girl how beautiful it was....she told me to take it as it was a return....asked what was wrong and she said she didn't know but I could have it...I wouldn't take it unless she would take money....It's a king and has 14 pieces to it....bedskirt, shams, sheets, throw pillows. I brought it home and we opened it and can't see anything wrong with it....will take to my son today....hopefully his wife likes it....she is a funny one....and I don't mean ha ha funny.....

Have doctor's appointment this week and have to have blood work done for my kidney doctor's appointment next week...then primary the week after.....then of course January is mammo month....my six month shot for my bone density.....it seems like it never ends.....
I hope to make a few cookies for my auction friends....time is just flying by....got to get grandson back over here to take up fall stuff and bring down a few Christmas boxes...don't do a lot as only the grands come over....I'm not doing gifts this year ...went overboard last year as I knew that was going to be the end of the giving...told my grands every time they come over it's like Christmas for them and they agree.....
Still have one grandson in high school and he will get money but that's it....I use to do stockings but now they are older and they really have everything and they don't want stuff they have to move around....

Hope everyone has a great week...stay warm....it's 55 here...cold for us.....stay safe....get your flu shot...stay healthy....

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
chilly and wet here rain so makes you not feel like doing much lol my excuse so sticking to it. missed out on an online chat cus no point trying to get on in afternoon w family. but got stuff done for volunteer work that as deadline. got one dining room wall painted so shelving can go up. boards have been sitting in the dining room for weeks..months who knows. dh got upset cus I am can you cut the one in 2 so it can go up in the kitchen.. why now..cus have been asking for ages and always a reason. the mental load on moms is a real thing. like said your dd decided on pizza for family party.. what occasion..her 19th bday? wow it is november already no it is almost dec... sometimes I wonder if he is getting early signs of dementia. yes I am grumpy lol didn't cook last night either. of course went into kitchen before bed and discovered koolaid drips on the counter down the front of the drawers to the floor..red of course. you know you are always cleaning before you are doing what you came into the kitchen for. other cat is beating on the youngest for no reason too again. so british tv to the rescue lol 2 esp of antique roadshow and sewing bee.

got dd to sort out the shoes in the hall closet and get sandals etc downstairs. vacuumed it out cus hasn't happened for months so cat hair dust bunnies. vacuumed a few other areas..rest tomorrow. do sweep and run electric carpet sweeper all the time but not the vacuum. got tixs for family and dd friend for ghostbusters movie tonight. maybe popcorn there will dislodge the popcorn hull stuck in my throat. need to pick up auction stuff from friends auction too. was good deals. have bids on other auctions at that site too. got my 1972 barbie head too plus some fancy earrings sending to a friend with some of the vintage rhinestone stuff from auction. rest of housework will wait until tomorrow. will make an early dinner and pick up some groceries from safeway by the theater.

can work on the other job more tomorrow too get that done and billed. though rainy all the outside birds are out and saying feed me. did go w dd yesterday night to get yarn from michaels on sale. not that I need yarn but needed more of a colour way to finish my jacket. have similar in different brand but not same yarn thickness.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Wind finally stopped after several days. Of course leaves everywhere again. I worked outside for 2 hours raking and bagging, also put up icicle-type Christmas lights on front porch. I'll hang wreaths tomorrow, that is all I'm doing outside. Hubby wanted burgers for supper so he is cooking. There is still leftover chili so I'm not cooking tomorrow either. Working on a child's hat in "camo" yarn, kind of an interesting look - apparently popular with the boys.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Sunny and cool here, up to 50 already, might be a nice day. We have leaves everywhere, everyone has at least 2 mature trees in the front yard. Supposed to be a dry week so maybe I can talk DH into a little raking before the steps and drive become wet or icy.

Got a list of stuff to do today. Days are so short now I'm trying to get started earlier in the morning. We're not going to set up the tree until next week.

DH gave me some early presents over the weekend, a trio of books right out of the amazon box. Sometimes he's so romantic.

Probably turkey pot pie for dinner. Was thinking about turkey and wild rice soup someone did earlier, but I'm out of wild rice. Or maybe I can't find it because there's so much other stuff in the pantry we need to eat first.

Hope everyone's week gets off to a good start.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Cold and overcast with a breeze again. I raked and bagged leaves for another 2 hours this morning. Have over 15 bags of leaves to go out for pickup on Wednesday. The remaining sections of yard are smaller so can tackle them later. Other household chores to do today plus the PT exercises. After raking I don't really feel like doing exercises. 😝

1641 - 1660 of 1662 Posts