Frugal Village Forums banner
1661 - 1680 of 1801 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
ok I am not shopping online today anymore ...got email saying 40% off holiday light experience tickets and then I put everything in and went ok forgetting the code. oh well the family will like it. can't cancel now or change without extra fees. at least booked it for right day as I am going to xmas play w friend day before. time for allergy pill.

today is my dd 19th bday! I know she is suppose to be grown but hard to believe lol she wants pizza for family party. her friend will come over I think too. She came to movies last night too..we went to ghostbusters one very cute family movie. our local theater is great reclining seats etc you can walk in front of someone without them having to sit up. so lots of space. grocery shopped at store under it...getting stuff for the week. how I can spend almost $100 again.. they had janes chicken strips black friday specials 5.99 each or 10 for $40 but got 3 quality has gone down over the years used to see actually chicken now more processed but good for easy meals. plus milk, bread etc. ice cream for tonight. have stuff to make cake at home. what she wants. got butter 3.99 a lb the other day on sale. good brand salted and unsalted. cheap brands are almost $6 a lb now. don't use butter much so will be enough for anything I do.

got dh to get the shelves up in the kitchen and dining room. got the brackets months ago and the wood is the rustic in style now but actually from the basement lol from when we took out some stuff. thick too. dh couldn't put as many brackets as we thought because he said the wood in the studs is so hard he had problems getting the screws in but then it is a lot sturdier. so put the cook books etc up there. of course housework and reg work awaits now that volunteer bookkeeping is done get the paid one finished. not raining or that cold. outside animals fed and cats out and happy..seems that when sunny that is a no but overcast and not raining is fine lol

my other job will be shorter hours cus delivery issues. mom phoned while typing. has a cold or something and same w new sil so bet we are going to get blamed for it yet going around everywhere. plus my brother works in lots of places servicing alarms. but hey my sil was sick and still went over to moms place so ... can't say much. mom woke up sick yesterday. watching the cooking shows from last night while having coffee etc. then to laundry etc. birthday stuff is upstairs so just really a declutter and easy setup for tonight. last family bday until jan. xmas next.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Today will be cooler than yesterday and tomorrow. May be 70 tomorrow. That will be nice. Dh has talked about putting up the Christmas lights and figures for a couple of days. I really don't care either way. I know dgds will love it. Still haven't put up the tree. Maybe this weekend or next week or not at all. I have a dollar tree tree for dgd. She wanted a little tree to decorate. She colored some ornaments and has put them on the tree. I have lots of flowers and my nativity sets are up, but that's it. Dgd has been here way too much this past week. So much that I'm really feeling the depression starting. She went home yesterday. But, it's been a nice quiet morning. I even slept late.

Need to get a few gifts ready to take to my mom's house. I didn't get anything for my niece and her kids this year. I may get them a gift card or something like that. Whatever they get, I will do an online order or pickup. We've been eating out way too much the past couple of weeks. Dh's sister goes home tomorrow. Then we need to get back to eating better. There are some leftovers in the fridge from eating out. Thought I might turn it into fried rice. Need to tackle the sewing room and try to do something in there. It's crammed full of junk. Mostly good stuff, but need to do something with it. Really wish ds would take his stuff or let us get rid of it.

Not sure if we'll go out for a last dinner tonight or we'll cook something here. I really don't care. I just want some normalcy.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Jettsmom- I'm glad you got to sleep in a bit this morning, and hope that you get the return to normal that you are needing after tomorrow! I think as kids we don't realize what a pain it is for our parents to store our old junk. H kept trunks of old textbooks at his parents' house for ages and every time they said "let's get rid of them" he'd fuss, but he never bothered to take them home (even when we lived in the same city!) either. Finally they ditched them when they moved.

In my case, it's a bit of the opposite (or karma) right now. When my parents "downsized" (as in they lost their house and moved into their RV--then Dad ended up in the nursing home...) they asked me to store "just a little" of their stuff... One of my projects over the next few weeks is clearing out the part of the downstairs that has become just a catch-all of random stuff.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Martha- Happy Birthday to your DD19!🍕🍰
Jetts- I hope you get some rest and decorate the outdoors if you want to. The tree trimming for your dgd sounds so cute and I bet it turned out beautiful.

The neighbors on either side of is have decorated their lawns and garage. We're in the middle of them and not a single shiny light have we hung....So DH asked if I wanted to put lights on our evergreen that is now huge...I said maybe...I will hang a cinnamon wreath on the front door.

We ran errands today and more to do. I wrote out 20 cards but need to get a few more. I will send a box to my bestie that contains a 3-D pop up card, her fave box of chocolates and a pair of sherpa lined socks with tassles that I got half price last year...That poor girl beat cancer twice and lives in that concrete town called NYC.

I earned some $ and bought a new pillow and pie crust mix from Target.

Land's End keeps sending me emails for 60% off and free shipping! Good grief. So, I placed an order for a fleece zip top and then another order for a memory foam mattress topper and waterproof mattress cover. The spare bed is the most uncomfortable mattress and pillow but we got them 24 years ago since it was the cheapest we could find for DS1. The mattress topper and waterproof cover from Lands End was $47 on special (saved $67) and the pillow from Target was free (saved $11).

I ordered kansas city bbq for my sis's family. I know they like ribs so they should receive it next week. I've never had it but it got good reviews.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I still have a lot of things to do for the house & yard. Fortunately the weather is reasonable, warming up in the middle of the day but just for a few hours. Once the sun gets low it is cold again. I'm planning turkey pot pie for supper and bake scones or muffins for breakfast while the oven is on. Physical therapy is helping my shoulder a lot, have to keep doing the exercises plus the new ones. Fortunately I have all the necessary equipment.
Kohls sent me $15 reward coupon. I ordered a sweatshirt and turtleneck for hubby under $13 after discounts and the coupon. Not exciting but something to wrap up. Hope everyone is staying warm.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Sunny this morning. Dgd spent the night. We went out for taco Tuesday. It was fun. Going to McDs for breakfast. I've been craving biscuits. Dgd loves the burritos. Dh is supposed to be home early. Dgd2 will be coming at noon. I lucked out yesterday. I had a target pickup. Dil called to see if she could drop off dgd after. I said sure. Can you pick up my order too? This time I used the target close to them. We take dh's sister to the airport late afternoon. It will be nice to kind of get back to normal. Ds will be home in a few weeks. He's bringing a "friend". Now I really need to clean up. She'll stay in his old room and he'll probably sleep on the couch. Not sure how long they are staying. Moved my doctor appointment up to next week.

Tonight we'll probably just eat leftovers. We'll do some clean up and maybe figure out where to put everything.

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
Sunny today and warmish. Supposed to be 60 I think. DH wants to rake more leaves this afternoon.

Was out all day yesterday trying to do errands. Went for an oil change, ended up needing brake work, not something that could be put off. Was going to do some shopping but only had time to rush through Target. Got milk, forgot the bread, couldn't find any wild rice. They have empty shelves just like everyone else, unless you want christmas candy.

Ruj, hope they like the bbq. The few places here that do mail order are really good. I send to my BIL in NY every year, too. Haven't seen what the prices are like this year yet.

Kohl's sent me a $10 reward. I may or may not use it. Not my favorite time of year to shop there, but I could use a new shirt or blouse. Something with holiday sparkle would be nice.

Chinese corn soup and dumplings for dinner. May add some rice and vegs or leftover turkey to that. Got butter out and want to try and get one or two batches of cheese crackers or cookies made.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Thanks Rujerro! now to nag her into a job lol it was a nice family party mom was sick so didn't come. used what we had already for her cake cus that is what she wanted.

still grumpy lol inspired by other site..looked though all my gift stash. almost done. did order stuff online for family gifts too. paints for dd and books and tote bags from online bookoutlet. they had extra coupons and free shipping too. of course stuff I forgot about too. gift cards to get too. sorted into bags. need to order video game for ds too. found an old box of after eight choc so put them on dh pillow lol

I remember dh aunt..small place and her kid filled up her basement and my sil stored old books etc there. yet both of them had big houses themselves ..sil lived alone too..then complained that the books were wrecked by water..well.. joke was on them cus aunt died and they ended up cleaning it all out anyways. my mom reminded me I have some stuff still in her basement (when moved in dh no room cus his place was full) now i had forgotten and my moms basement is where stuff goes to die..moldy etc..*huge so not in the way to be clear lol )a ikea desk and a tabletop. she just keeps saying she wants junk to the dump to come take the old furniture etc but I say mom if you sell or you die ..we would just get rid of what we can and let leave the rest because the house is a teardown. duplex lot so will rebuild. so you can just leave it all there. I know as full as our house is really the kids don't want any of it except maybe photos etc. rest would be sold or donated. Friend started using auction site estate sales to sell stuff.. won a bid of british tv shows..sad that is it someones life for sale down to family china, shelves of tools etc. but my mom etc will enjoy the shows. didn't want to pay what the bids got up to in the other dvds sets. pickup is sat along w the baked goods from the other charity close by. grandma baking so will be great.

no idea what is for dinner. still have leftover pasta in fridge too. will get creamo at store. maybe hot sandwiches.. my shelves are up and look good too.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Trash company decided to ignore my 16 bags of leaves at the curb yesterday despite picking up up all the neighbor's leaves. Just not mine. I submitted the missed pickup form and also filed a complaint with the county AGAIN. Pointed out roadway hazard, etc. Because I put them in the road. So the driver can't pretend not to see them. The county can revoke the hauler's permit so they are the only ones the trash company pays any attention to. When they hear from the inspector, they get all excited, otherwise....nothing. Unfortunately the county process takes a long time since they have to document (photos) and allow a week for the situation to be corrected. So multiple inspector drive-bys required. It's a big nuisance for everyone.
Probably will work in the yard again while weather is reasonable. Placed a Target order I need to go pickup since refrigerated items and produce. Leftovers for supper - at least I'm not planning to cook. Have a good day.

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
Wow, Dlr, that just leaves me speechless. What an annoyance.

It's sunny and warming up, nearly 60 already. Going to be a very nice day. Hope to get out for a walk before it gets dark, but the days are so short now.

Lots to do around the house. New electric blanket came, entire bed needs to be changed, quilts and everything. Laundry, of course. Paid all the bills and annual taxes yesterday, working on christmas cards next. Probably do some holiday baking later.

Bratwurst and potatoes for dinner. Simple and hearty.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Sunny and warm today. Stepped outside to grab a package from the porch. Can't believe this is December. I slept in again. Dgd didn't spend the night. Sissy was in a mood yesterday. Mommy says it's because daddy has gone back into the office and messing up the schedule. Sorry, I think part of it is mommy disappearing all day whenever she feels like it, then complains because there's so much to do. Not sure if dgd will spend the night tomorrow. They are supposed to go see a movie. Sissy kept saying last night "everybody's home".

Going to run to natural grocers today. Dh loves the coconut aminos I bought. Need to get some more. He keeps a bottle at work. I'm sure the traffic over there will be a nightmare. It's bad enough with Costco. They just opened a What a burger. They have the traffic rerouted in the area. The first one in the area is still really busy. Drove by it earlier in the week. Dh's sister left last night. Time to get back to normal and eating better. Need to go through the freezers again and start using up everything in there. Not sure what we'll eat tonight. Maybe a fend for yourself night again. Maybe some baked potatoes.

I want to get some sunflower seeds for the birds. The new feeder is so much better. Some of the birds fling the seed everywhere. Now it goes into an outer area and the other birds come and eat it, instead of it falling to the ground. Bird seed is lasting longer.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Yeah - thinking about reporting the neighbor's derelict car to the county next. Sits in their driveway w/ flat tire and failed inspection sticker for a couple of years now. Registration was not renewed. He can start it up and move it if he inflates the tire. But I'm sure it won't pass inspection (required annually in VA.) It looks like junk, don't know why he doesn't donate it, cannot be worth anything. Old Lincoln Navigator - huge ugly gas guzzler.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
What a pain just to get people to do their job.....we have HOA and I don't know how some people get away with their junk cars, messy houses, and just the "I don't care" attitude....we had a telephone pole laying in the grass around the corner from my house for three years....the HOA sent me a letter about grass in my crack in my driveway....by the time I was done with them, they wished they hadn't....but got the darn pole removed and some other things cleaned up cause I wasn't letting it go....if they were complaining about a dime piece of grass about an inch high in my driveway there was no way they were going ignore some of the other stuff going on around the neighborhood.....we had a car parked across the street for about three years and I finally got tired of it and complained and they finally got it towed away....I hate HOA's....They waste my hoa fees sending out these crazy letters...told them to knock on my door the next time..... we need more security.....few weeks ago we heard gunshots and husband looked at camera and some kids driving thru the neighborhood shooting in the air.....just crazy......

Had dr. appointment today at 1:30....at 2:20 I stepped out of the room and found the nurse and told her I had a lab appointment downstairs at 2:30...dr, came running in and looked at my blood work, asked me how I felt and said see you in a year....took all of two minutes....if that....checked out and got my 2022 appointment but she failed to give me copy of blood work...ran downstairs to lab and checked in and after 15 minutes got my labs done...ran back upstairs and got copy of blood work....by this time I'm ready to go home....but ran to Aldi's as I needed bread....I buy the 45 calorie bread...it was half price so paid 75 cents for a loaf of bread....picked up some gluten free pumpkin donuts...frozen...quite good..,,,,needed cranberries so picked up a bag.....came home and fell into my chair....I'm tired....having leftover meatloaf for dinner so no actual cooking...just reheating....

I did get my mantel decorated....other then that nothing up for Christmas....started the table but can't decide what tablecloth I want to use....got to dig into my closet and find my Pioneer Women new Christmas dishes I got few months ago.
Hope to have some energy tomorrow so I can bake a few cookies....want to give to my auction friends....
Hope everyone is having a great week....stay safe...stay healthy....forget yesterday and remember Today is the first day of the rest of your life.....

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I buy the 45 calorie bread...it was half price so paid 75 cents for a loaf of bread....
That's a great deal!!! You are a strong woman for stopping at one loaf!

DD18 has misplaced her phone... I'd be upset but it's hopefully around somewhere, and if not, I'm not replacing it. Meanwhile, it's one less thing to distract her from her schoolwork. But thanks to the miracle of the internet, she is still jabbering loudly to her friend in Hawaii... grr... Sometimes I miss the old ways of one phone and you could hide the cord and turn off the ringer!!!

DD18 had no school today, so I took her out with me just to get her moving and keep her awake so she'll be able to sleep tonight (and then hopefully be awake for school tomorrow.) She has been saying that she needed new sweatpants, so we went to wallyworld and she found a couple of pairs plus a couple of sweatshirts... hopefully that will cut down on how often she steals MY clothes...

Not a thrilling day, and not an inexpensive one, but it is one less thing on the to-do list... Unfortunately we stayed out so long that it was too late to do the crock-pot dinner I had been planning, so H is having leftovers, DD18 is having ramen (she's had a good amount of protein today, and honestly, she needs any calories she will agree to eat...) Now I just have to convince DD14 to eat something.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I had ordered my sis some bbq as a holiday gift and the next day, I get an email for a free 1 lb of brisket with any order. I decided to send an email about it and they refunded me $30! Cool

I have to pick up a Target order, pharmacy, bag of potatoes for a new recipe, go to the post office, go to the bank, gym..I'll do half today and the rest on Saturday.

I purchased a clearance metal bucket with various evergreen branches and decorations in it to put in the living room. Since I gave away the tree, I get festive items. I'm still waiting for the holly table centerpiece.

DH and DS1 have the same name. When the voting ballots arrived, DH filled one out and dropped it off. A letter came in the mail stating that the signature didn't match. He ignored it. Another letter arrived stating a investigation will take place for fraud....I let DS2 know about it and to call so he could explain the situation.

I received a lovely, engraved pen in the mail with a note saying Merry Christmas to a dear friend. I didn't know who sent it so I asked around until I figured it out!

DS2 got his test result back. He got a 75. He was happy with it.
I did my labwork and cholesterol good but ldl at 110. She wants it at 70 and normal is 99... My liver enzymes are still elevated so I bought folic acid and will see if it helps. I sent doc an email to prescribe a med for me in hopes it will help.

I cooked out the ingredients for ziti and will assemble it for dinner. I should get the oven fixed. I have to set it very low and hope it kicks on before increasing the temp. Sometimes it shuts itself off. I'm sure it's the ignitor.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
PT at mid-day. After today I am half-way done. Post Office after that to mail taxes for dad's estate, that is another big chore finished. Discovered steam from hubby's iced tea maker has damaged the wood cabinet above. I treated with Liquid Gold (petroleum product) and will do again weekly for a month. Hopefully it won't be noticeable after that. There is a dog club event Saturday (parade) but I'm not going due to safety concerns. Sad but I would rather be safe and not sick or injured by weirdos. It was windy yesterday evening so I'm glad I didn't spend time on the yard, would have been a waste. Have a good weekend.

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
Sunny and warming up today, already in the mid 50's. We got some leaves cleaned up. Compost bins are full and it won't break down unless we get rain. I swept and cleared the deck.

Ruj, the evergreen branches sound nice. I have often wished we had a fireplace so I could have a mantle to decorate. I got a poinsettia this year. The geraniums I brought in from the deck are blooming like mad! I don't understand it, but whatever. Took down the fall decor yesterday, will get the christmas stuff out this weekend.

Made chocolate chip cookies yesterday. Hadn't done that in a long time and had all the ingredients. Most went in the freezer for later. Have 1 stick of butter left, thinking of doing an almond flour recipe since I have a bit left in the pantry.

Dlr, too bad about the cabinet. Hopefully it doesn't show.

Got to get to the PO today to send a small package, envelope really. Looked at the grocery ads, not much going on this week thankfully. I don't need to spend more on food. Baking sale, and I have enough sugar and all the butter my freezer can hold. But, man, if you use cream cheese this is the time to stock up! It's keeps for a year unopened. Want to get next week's menu plan figured out, use up fridge and freezer leftovers and make some space.

Happy Friday everyone!

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Bright, Sunny Day!!! Not sure what I'll do today. May run to Target to look around. May stop and a grocery store. I think we need milk. Not sure what I'm doing right now. Tried to sleep late today, but dgd called early to tell me about the video game she's playing and she's going to the movies this afternoon. I don't know if she's spending the night. I'm fine either way. Her mom posted on instagram "looking for Christmas dinner recipes". Maybe I'll just plan something for Christmas Eve and then have dinner with ds2 and his friend on Christmas. I'm tired of dealing with ds1's wife. I've been nothing but nice. Drop everything to help with the girls and she treats me like crap. Even lies about me. That helped end ds2 marriage. And she feels like she's the victim. I'm too old to worry about this nonsense. If you come, then come, if you don't, don't. I'm only doing things to help ds and the girls.

Need to look at the grocery ads. Yes, now is the time to stock up on cream cheese. I have a cookie recipe that uses cream cheese and ds2 loves them. He'll be here for Christmas. Last year I had to make more cookies, because he ate them all. Also stocked up on butter. I always have lots of butter.

Still haven't put the tree up. Just not feeling it. I will put it up, may not decorate it, but then again, I will at least put some ornaments on, just not all of them. I have a tub full of hallmark ornaments I haven't used in years. I don't even remember what they are. I add new ones each year. This year, there weren't very many. Got some new fairy lights and put them around the nativity. It looks nice at night.

Not sure what we'll eat tonight. I got some baby bok choy yesterday. May save that for Sunday.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
yikes bookworm! I don't like Hoa's here they are called stratas for townhouses and condos. There are of course city bylaws and bitchy neighbours but that is different. but you complain about grass etc while all that going on..please. sometimes I think they just target people they think will be easy targets and won't fight back.

was so chilly this morning ..frost over everything ...in the 30s right now. let the sun get the frost off the car. the sweet potato and yam were starting to sprout so put in oven to cook and heat up house. will eat them later. trying to use up stuff in the house since ch you reminded me still have cream cheese frozen from last year in the freezer. need milk and bread but nothing else. trying to use up stuff in the house. shopped enough ! got video game for ds. so just need to find more stuff for dh and some candy and gift cards too.

screwed up dates so have to pick up my auction stuff at 1230 today...booked time cus thought I had to pick my goodies from charity fundraiser first..so will go to library and work after. not much store work cus no deliveries..cus well don't like ups in that area..screwing up for years. they always have excuses but amazing how the others stores get stuff just fine. got dd to go to other library yesterday. stocked up on cozy mysteries now. the auction I won was for british shows on dvd so will go by my moms later to show her the dvds and see what she wants to watch. I need to watch more hallmark movies..taping all the xmas ones..there are a lot of new ones on tv now. some I just fast forward though. but pvr getting full. not the only thing I watch.

haven't been in the mood to cook..defrosted precooked ham and got dd to make kraft dinner and nuke peas last night. think will get the crockpot going or something ..unless tacos. of course always housework and decluttering plus plus. work stuff keeps changing. at least bookkeeping almost done. xmas stuff needs to come out too. started on the back to the future advent calendar. dd got the paper background set up..the clock tower etc.

1661 - 1680 of 1801 Posts