Frugal Village Forums banner
1761 - 1780 of 1801 Posts

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Merry Christmas!!!

Didn't do much today, so far. Ds and family will come to open gifts later. Last minute, decided to make some soup and crescent rolls that need to be used. Won't spend money eating out. Not sure if anything is open. Need to get the pot roast out of the freezer to thaw for Sunday.

Last night, made my last batch of cookies for now. I'll make a double batch of cookies for ds before he leaves. He can take them home.. Dgd and I made some fizzy bath salts last night. She took a bath and it fizzed. I think we needed to let the mixture dry a little more before we put it in the jars. Just stick a spoon in it and it will break up. Giving one to each of the girls. They love bath bombs and this was easier and I didn't have to spend money on molds. I have plenty of canning jars. A friend gave me a box before she moved. Bought plastic lids a while back for storing things.

Tomorrow will be a very quiet day. Just dh and I and youngest ds. Probably watch TV and eat.

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Wow, christmas eve already. Feels weird with windows open and 70F outside. DH and I just took a walk. Feels like spring.

Found some tilapia for dinner. We don't do anything special for the evening, not since MIL passed. She used to get a ham, rolls, and a Red Velvet cake and the kids would come open presents. Kids all grown up now and family scattered to different states.

Bath bombs sound like fun Jetts. Hope the girls liked it. We're having soup tomorrow, too. Was thinking of making rolls from scratch. I used to have a good recipe. Or I can get out the crescents I bought and forgot about.

BW, hope your holiday is pleasant. Sounds like you have a lot of treats ready for the family. If they can't appreciate it, then it's their problem.

Have a good one, all.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Dlrcpa- Thanks for the recipe! And I had milk powder so it could've been made....DH did remember to buy those items when he got home, which was nice.

We're going to a late Mass tonight and after that, I'll be making that pumpkin pie. After that, I may set up the Nativity set and then I'll try to watch the Matrix with the family. On Christmas,🤶 I'll be making french bread and attempting a garlic butter rolls recipe...We'll go to church again and I'll clean a bit before DS1 comes over.

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Merry Christmas everyone. It's sunny and mild today. DH and I are enjoying a quiet day at home. He got up early and put cinnamon rolls in the oven. I may make breakfast for lunch.

Hope we can get in a walk later to enjoy the unseasonal warm weather. Making a big pot of chicken tortilla soup for dinner, and I found a recipe for cloverleaf rolls. They're a bit of work, but so worth it.

Have a great day!

·
Super Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,765 ·
enjoy your warm weather! It is freezing rain here and the roads are horrible. People are being told to stay home if at all possible. Even the community dinner is postponed until tomorrow (they do a lot of deliveries). Interstate was closed for a while due to people sliding off. Glad I don't have to go anywhere.

I had some of my free frozen pizza for dinner.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Merry Christmas!
Beautiful day and in the 50's. A bit windy so a jacket is a must.
Well, I know what I'll be buying pretty soon- a vacuum. I was trying to vacuum before DS1 gets here and it overheats. It shuts down after a few minutes as a safety feature. So, I have to let it cool before attempting again.
I made the pumpkin pie and have potatoes in the oven. DH put the ham on the smoker since I needed the oven. I'm making french bread now so it can be grilled for bruschetta.
Better get moving along as we are going to church soon.........

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Beautiful day here in Texas. 78 degrees......went to daughters and I did what I said I was going to do....asked no questions, said nice things. She pretty much ignored me all day but I had the grandkids and her mil, who I like, so I had someone to talk to....great grandson loved everything I got him and had a blast playing with the drone and the light up swords in the backyard. Will send a message thanking my daughter for having us and for the gifts etc. I don't expect to hear from her again until Mother's day....so I will not be disappointed when I don't.

For those who are having cold weather, stay warm...and don't go out if you don't need to.

Going to put a ham in the oven and heat up some mac and cheese and veggie and call it dinner.

I have a glass door to the back yard with a blind inside and wouldn't you know, I broke the string on the blind. I can still open them but can not pull them up. Not happy about that. Will have to have the glass replaced....Maybe I will just get plain glass and put a curtain that I can slide over instead of blinds inside.

Sisters grandkids loved the gifts I sent.....one is 7 and likes to cook so sent her an easy bake oven and lots of mixes to go with it and a chef hat and apron....other one is 5 and I sent her a doll stroller and a shopping cart....had a couple of Precious moments figurines so sent them each two....something to decorate their rooms....dust collectors for Mom....I love buying for little girls....good thing I don't have any great granddaughters....

Hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas. Tomorrow is back on the diet....LOL

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Merry Christmas everyone! we woke up to a white xmas! so many hungry animals outside...lots of birds. my mom had stopped feeding the birds cus rats who are avoiding traps but today she did. rats came..lord looked like groundhogs so fat. my brother got poison but apparently they have to eat for 8 days to have an effect? so she is going get him to put the seeds a couple of houses up that is abandoned so birds can be fed but rats go there. she has stray cats etc she feeds but no one gets the rats lol gave the cats catnip ..why I don't do it much.. the fights etc. one just goes around for hours looking for a fight. normally give it to them outside but w snow can't.

wasn't sure if we were going to moms cus steep but we did for a visit. kids like their gifts ..we spent a lot this year more then normal for us. ds is out w friend..though he would be home playing his new video games. got spoiled.. we all have way too much choc lol

none of us feel like being fancy so just putting ham in the oven and making corn and boxed scalloped potatoes lol had a nice time at neighbours last night. have the choc bark I made etc. watching moonraker having old james bond moment lol will see what xmas stuff we want later tonight . have all the candy and choc plus candy cane ice cream so no making desserts.

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Hope the snow was pretty, M! Sounds like a nice visit with family. Too many sweets here, too. DH gave me a huge box of marzipan. It'll last months. Plus cookies from friends.

BW, too bad about the window, but glad to hear the kids liked all their gifts and it wasn't too awful at the family gathering.

Ruj, that's bad news about the vac. Have you thought about getting it serviced and cleaned? Might be cheaper than a new one.

Soup and rolls came out well. I wasn't sure about the rolls, they didn't get huge, but they are fluffy inside so I'm happy. Lots of soup left over, will put most of it in the freezer for later in the winter. Supposed to have a couple more mild days before it gets cold again. Trying to figure out the menu plan with 30-40 degree temp swings, ugh! Ham and potatoes sounds good, I think I will get a fancy one after New Year's though. Won't have a crowd of people trying to jam in the doors.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Good morning. I hope everyone had a nice day.
Ruj I agree - try cleaning the vacuum completely first. At my parents house the person who cleaned never emptied the vacuums, both were totally plugged up. My time and effort got them back in order, they're not that complicated (unless maybe Dyson?) I ordered new filters too. In 2020 I ordered new belt and filter for my home vacuum and it works fine. I empty every time and check filters frequently.
Today I need to water and groom all the plants. Took down a hanging spider plant and need to figure out new pot and home for it. Supper will be leftovers made into salads I think + hard boil some eggs. Hubby made a huge amount of wild & white rice Friday night so I'll use a Bear Creek soup mix tomorrow and add that in. I'm trying for minimal cooking this week so I can get other stuff done. :sneaky:

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Cool and grey here, might get a little rain. Yard could use it. Staying home today doing little stuff around the house. Not much mess from christmas but plenty of other things to clean or pick up, as always. Got some chicken out for dinner, will do a broccoli stir fry. Soup from yesterday is put away in the freezer for later.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Bookworm: I don't really get the attachment to the particular day either. Or the whining. I am tired of my brother's version of this. So, I called my mom and skipped the family zoom session.

Today is about leftovers and dealing with my stove pipe issue... or putting it off and dealing with it when it is an emergency.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
going to have a zoom chat soon w friends from all over. lazy day more snow and hungry animals. bored cats too lol miss piss pants peed on my rug by the bed of course after it just be down cus washed. lazy day today min chores like kids and cat boxes. did buy from one boxing day sale in the wee hours of the morn cus up late. body shop british rose sets love the smell $30 from $70 plus some other half price stuff. soap etc. free shipping over $60 too so win win.

19 f or minus 9 c looks worse in celcius. dinner etc will figure out later. can't believe I just said to my son do you like the video games you wanted cus don't see you playing them. cus want my $200 worth lol when used to be the opposite. Have a good day all!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The vacuum that is overheating is cleaned regularly but it is a very cheap one. I paid $40 for it and it's lasted a year or two (can't remember).

DS1 was hours late for dinner due to a ER visit. That set DH in a bad mood and he went to bed and got up to see DS1 a few minutes and then went to work. He still hasn't opened his presents. Oh, good times.....

I'll run errands later, like to Target for a vacuum, Ace for potting soil, etc....

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Good morning. Ruj - sorry for the drama.
Back is bothering me again, trying to remember if I did something to it. If so, it was minor so this is annoying. Can still do small things like laundry. Supposed to rain much of this week, we need it. Got 2 free Kindle e-books from Amazon and hubby says he has Audible credits I can use if I want, need to put the app on my phone. I can already play library audio-books on the phone. Started knitting another hat. Have a good week.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Sunny and a little chilly this morning. Christmas day was very quiet. Just dh, ds2 & I. Didn't call or talk to ds1. I guess they had fun doing their own thing this year. They all came for dinner yesterday. I made pot roast. We actually enjoyed the peace and quiet on Christmas this year. New Year's will be the same. Ds2 leaves for a week and will be back to get his truck and dog. I'll miss the dog, but will be happy she's gone. Not sure when I'll take the tree down. Maybe when ds leaves this week. Then I'll put up my snowmen for the winter. They usually go up with Christmas, but I just didn't feel it this year. I do want to put them up. I think it's been a couple of years since I last set them out.

I'm not sure if I'm taking dgd home this morning or if she's staying. It will depend on what time dh comes home. I want to run to menards today. They had a couple of snowman figures I really liked. They are on clearance now. We'll see if they still have some. That's really the only place I'm looking at clearance stuff. Don't really need much else. I would like some garland, but I can wait. Maybe Target has something. Then need to run to walmart market for some frozen pizzas. Ds eats one a day. Need cat food too. We have another stray that comes daily to eat. He won't be coming inside. He's been coming around for over a year now.

Not sure what we'll eat for dinner. Still have some leftovers from the weekend. We'll see what ds feels like eating.

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Warm and sunny, some clouds. Another crazy spring day. We haven't had rain (or snow) in something like 45 days. Repeating yesterday, some sewing and cleaning. Speaking of vacuums, I should so that can go in the trash tomorrow too.

Bummer about the vac Ruj, but I guess you got your money's worth if it lasted a year for that price. What was DS in the ER for?

Dlr, hope you are feeling better soon.

Jetts, have fun shopping. I'm going out tomorrow, but not really looking for anything.

Dinner is either mac&cheese or spaghetti carbonara, DH's choice. Spinach salad on the side.

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Good morning. It's raining and I'm happy to see it. We've been so dry this fall. Nice to have some weather to mark the passage of time, not day after day of grey dreariness, even if it is 65 out.

I'm going out and the rain means fewer cars on the roads. Yay. Likely to be fewer shoppers as well. Double yay. Not much of a grocery sale this week, so hopefully I won't be tempted by too many deals and can just buy what we need. We could get through the end of the year, but with our first snow expected on Jan 1 I want to get milk, bread, and a few extra vegs in case we're stuck at home a few days.

Dlr, meatloaf sounds yummy on a winter night. I'm planning to grill chicken for sandwiches.

1761 - 1780 of 1801 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.