Frugal Village Forums banner
1781 - 1800 of 1801 Posts

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Scored big time at the grocery store this morning. Ground beef, pork, and chicken marked down. Few people in the store so I had my pick of it. Spotted stuffing mix marked down to .65 a box and grabbed 4. Since it was cold I left it all in the trunk of my car and did other errands. Came back on my way home to get milk and frozen things, and they were marking down all the pre-packaged tubs of bulk nuts and candies. I got nuts, sunflower seeds, chocolate covered coffee beans, pine nuts, snack mix, etc all heavily discounted. Some was $7-8.99/lb marked $1-$2. And on top of that I got a free box of raisin bran with store points.

Used my Kohl's cash and got a long sleeved t. Was a holiday item on sale, so I got it free.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
WOW CH you hit the jackpot.....
I ran to DT yesterday and things are now $1.25....picked up a few things for shoeboxes...today I picked up a entertainment table for my grandson to put his snake tank on. I paid $6 for it and it's really sturdy....needs some cleaning up and glass doors need to be washed but it's really nice.

Husband put together a computer for a teen mom I met at the craft exchange last week......I overheard her say She didn't have one and wanted to start on line classes this spring. Husband loves putting computer stuff together.......Hope the mom does well...she stopped by tonite to pick up and we got to visit a little as I don't really know her.....
Thursday will take youngest grandson to lunch. He's a senior so doesn't have much time during the school year....
Husband is on vacation. We are doing nothing....with numbers rising and new virus running wild don't want to take any chances....
I did run into grocery store yesterday to pick up impossible meat as I needed the points for a gc from Fetch. We like it and husband doesn't know the difference. Just another a couple thousand points and I can get a $50 gc....I got 13,500 points for the two packages of meat plus a package of two patties.....then I happen to look at my Ibotta app which I haven't been on in a long time and wouldn't you know I got $14 on my account for those items....just a few dollars from a $20 gc....usually I don't do this faithfully other then Fetch....I find that one so easy to use....

Nothing planned for tomorrow....weather has been in the 80's. Wind blowing so husband took down my Noah Arch wind chime as it was whipping it around too much....

Hope everyone is having a great week.....no plans for New Year Eve or day.....stay safe...stay healthy.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Sounds like a really good shopping trip CH. Peg I have not been anywhere (except to walk the dogs) since we had dinner at sis-in-law's house on Christmas. Doesn't seem to bother me. Hubby says he is off work until Jan 11. Finished knitting a hat, now trying to make a sort of stripey kid's one from leftover balls. Worked on friend's cross-stitch kit and I would like to finish this week so I can start a project for myself. Saw Chorizo sausage in the freezer, maybe with pasta for supper unless hubby decides to cook.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Cold and grey today, good day to stay home. Have pills coming and I need to sign for them. Some laundry to finish. DH has tomorrow off, and things are pretty slow today. Yesterday was fun and I am glad to get the deals but it's time to sit back and enjoy what we have for a while.

It's also time to make a big pot of chili. Have peppers and tomatoes from the garden saved in the freezer. Will make a large batch so some can be frozen for meals later. Might also be a good day to make ginger cookies.

Hope everyone is staying warm.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hello, Frugals!!!

You are "talking to" a real, live GRADUATE!!!!

I finished the last of my classes on the 3rd, and graduation was on the 16th, but I swear every little minute has been CRAZY!!!

But now it is alllllllllllll done... Christmas gifts all given, survived another 900-mile round trip to the in-laws... visited the best friend today... Nothing else on the agenda 'til the 6th (H has a procedure) and then my side of the family is coming for dinner on the 8th, since we were away for Christmas and wayyyy too busy around Thanksgiving... but even then, I have already given all of them their presents, so just dinner. Easy (and a good motivation to dig the house out from months and months of neglect!)

I was chuckling reading up on everyone's glut of holiday junk food-- I feel ya!!! I have two bags of less-than-nutritious sealed packages that I am going to drop at a nearby "food porch" location and we STILL have a bunch of leftover chocolatey-mix stuff that is in open packages!

The upside is that I have been completely immune to all the after-holiday sales!

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Congrats Zhoen! Your hard work paid off!

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Z - great news on your accomplishments. I hope 2022 brings more successes.
Dark and rainy. Need to do paperwork and miscellaneous household chores. Plenty of leftovers so no cooking today. Chorizo-spinach over pasta last night was a good recipe, keeping that one. Tried to come up with a movie both hubby and I would enjoy for New Year's Eve, I think it will be "Jersey Boys". I hope everyone has a good day.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Cold and grey here, not going to get much above freezing today. Just going to relax at home most of the day. Meeting friends at the park for holiday light show tonight. Hope it's not windy.

Snow expected tomorrow night or early Saturday. 2-4" most likely. Not a lot but first storm of the season so everyone will be freaking out and forgetting how to drive. Plans for NY cancelled because of COVID.

Not sure about dinner. Cancelled restaurant reservations because of COVID concerns, big room packed full of people always gives me the willies. I know they'll be jamming in as many tables as they can for the holiday. Will ask DH what he wants, we have choices.

Hope everyone has a nice, warm day.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
After being gone for months from here, I am back. I costumed Elf the musical from September through mid December. Along with that DH and Dd got COVID, so my Christmas plans were cancelled. Both of my DS and families opened gifts via FaceTime. I have had 3 family members die in the past week, one was in his 40s and died after three weeks of COVID. The temps here have been in the 80s, but a cold front is coming on Saturday. I’m ready. On to a lighter note, Texas retired teachers are getting a 13 th check in January. Planning to save 1/3, pay bills with 1/3 and have fun with the rest. I’m working on getting my credit score up in case of an emergency. My freezer and pantry are stocked and my wood pile will get me through the winter unless we have the same problem as last February. I’m ready for a good year and leave 2021 in the past.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Welcome back GB....I'm sorry to hear about your loss....hope your DH and DD are doing okay. This stuff is nothing to mess with. Praying 2022 is better for everyone around even tho looking at it now it doesn't look so great....I have to think positive...

They say this cold front won't be like last year but I hope people are prepared. I don't trust the reports so we are prepared....better safe then sorry....

Hope you find something fun to do your free money....

Glad to have you back...was wondering how you were doing.

Stay safe...stay healthy

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Cold today. I've been spoiled with the warmer temps. Snow this weekend. I hope it's snow and not the freezing rain. Ds2 left this morning for a week. He'll be back to pick up his truck and dog. Not the best sleep. They left at 330am for the airport. Had trouble getting back to sleep and then slept too late.

Yesterday I did a load of sheets, put them in the dryer and it wouldn't start. Every once in a while I could hear it ticking (the timer) but it never started. We went to Lowes last night and bought one. It will be delivered on Saturday. So laundry will be piling up. Doesn't have a ton of bells and whistles, but it will due. The old one was a Kenmore and lasted 28 years. Dh will take the old one to the curb. I'm sure a scrapper will pick it up. He'll get everything cleaned up and new vent run. We had a new vent, but never put it in. We need to move the vent. It's really crowded outside where it is, water, heater exhaust and dryer vent, all crowded together. He's going to move the water line so it's easier to use too. We'll do that in the summer.

Went to hobby lobby looking for clearance and there really wasn't any. Had to run in target yesterday to get dgd a shirt and dh wanted a cake for this weekend. Target didn't have anything left either. Didn't need to buy anything anyway. I am going to $ tree today and see what they have for valentine's day. May pick up a few things. I'll stop at dollar general too. Dollar general has had some really cute decor this year. Going to the store for some fruit. Didn't realize we were out. I'll pick up some milk if there is any. Ds' wife said the shelves were pretty bare yesterday when she went.

Lots of leftovers in the fridge. Need to freeze some of it.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Welcome back GB....I'm sorry to hear about your loss....hope your DH and DD are doing okay. This stuff is nothing to mess with. Praying 2022 is better for everyone around even tho looking at it now it doesn't look so great....I have to think positive...

They say this cold front won't be like last year but I hope people are prepared. I don't trust the reports so we are prepared....better safe then sorry....

Stay safe...stay healthy

Stay safe...stay healthy
Thanks so much.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
GB how sad for you. Sounds like you are ready for winter. It has not been that cold here except a few days off and on.
I need to go to the bank today. Hubby chose brownies for dessert tonight, I'll make scones or a coffee cake too. Still knitting hats, I have 4 1/2 skeins of donated yarn to work through. Have a nice evening. 🥳

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
GB, sounds like a rough couple of months. Welcome back. I'm hoping for a better new year for everyone.

Grey and cloudy today, cold but not icy. Might get up to 50 later. DH and I have some last minute yard cleanup to do. Big winter storm due tonight/tomorrow. Went shopping Tues and we are good at least another week. Cat goes to the vet on Monday, but major roads should be clear by then.

Snacks and party foods for dinner. Bread and dips, ham and crackers, etc. Will see if we can find a movie to watch.

Happy New Year! Stay safe, stay healthy.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Sun is peeking out. Will warm up before the big storm hits tonight. Just hoping the freezing stuff misses us and we just get snow. Dh and ds are going to the gun range tonight. They have a fun shoot where they place items for you to shoot at. They say it's really fun. Then I'll have sandwiches and veggies and chips after. Dh will probably just watch some movies after they all go home.

Dh is going to clean up the yard and wants to build a cover the deck stairs. He put a tarp over it last year and it worked well, except we can't go down the stairs. This will be higher. Need to get some straw to cover the muddy areas in the yard. There's lots of mud from the mole that seems to escape and go around the trap. It's a big one too. The mounds are huge. Dh keeps setting the trap and then there's a new hole somewhere else or you can see how it tunneled around the trap. He's also getting the vent ready for the new dryer.

Looking forward to a quiet new year. Who knows what the neighbors will do. The ones across the street will probably be shooting guns. Everyone stay safe tonight.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Happy New Year !!!
Z- Congrats!
GB- My condolences and peace to you and the family at this time.
Peg- That's sweet of your DH and you to help the woman who needed a computer. You're very generous.
Dlr- Those knit hats sound beautiful. You're very kind to donate them.
CH- Did the storm get to your area? It did for us. People sliding in the snow. They need to slow down and invest in winter tires. I stay waaayyy back and go very slow.

Not much new. Having bbq for dinner and maybe garlic rolls if they are quick to make. DH will make jamabalaya in crock. More snow on the way.

1781 - 1800 of 1801 Posts