Frugal Village Forums banner

2021 Frugal Challenge

78K views 2K replies 20 participants last post by  rujerro 
#1 ·
Happy New Year everyone!! Let's hope 2021 is an improvement.

#54 ·
Cold, cloudy, with a little sun today. The snow is mostly melted so I want to take a walk this afternoon. Been cooped up too much lately, and feeling stressed.

Not much planned, the usual housework, some sewing for my quilt guild's outreach.

Will get some l/o bbq out, not sure if it is ribs or burnt ends, and warm up beans and corn for dinner.

Happy Friday everyone.

Reactions: marthamfi
#55 ·
Sun is trying to shine. Much brighter today. Just talked to dgd. She's so talkative in the morning. I needed to get her grocery order for today. She'll spend the night tonight. Mostly salad stuff. I guess she's going to make papa a salad for dinner. Also needed fruit and chocolate drops.

Went to the DMV last night. Went to the app to get in line at 2:30. Didn't get out of there until 6:10pm. I waited in the parking lot about 15 minutes til I was 2nd in line and then waited inside for 30 minutes. I felt bad for the girl working. She was the only one and there were probably 20 more in the line. The other girl was doing licenses and they didn't give her a cash drawer, so she couldn't help with the vehicle side. But she was busy too. I like checking in online and waiting at home. Didn't get everything done. The state office was already closed so she couldn't call for fixing the one title. It's their mistake, so won't cost me anything. If I ever sell the car, I do have a copy of the lien release, so it won't be a problem if I don't fix it.

Going to do some shopping. Going to actually do it myself. Wasn't happy with some of the produce last time and that's mostly what I'm getting today. Scrawny little cucumbers that were going to spoil quickly. I wouldn't mind the small ones as long as the price was right.

Dinner will probably be salad. Dh mentioned it last night, but I stopped and got chicken on the way home. That was an ordeal. I was going to file a complaint, but when I got home, there was extra chicken in there. That made up for the incompetency and the snide remarks from the employees. The guy taking the order didn't know what I was talking about, so when I got to the window, I knew it was a different guy and asked him for what I really wanted. Not a big deal. But one of the employees said something about didn't I know this when I was ordering. No your order taker didn't know. May get Chipotle for dgd. She loves it. Trying to help her eat better. Maybe She'll eat a little salad too.

#56 ·
Made up a menu yesterday that will include 3 items from the kitchen freezer. Last night made chicken spaghetti with some shredded chicken that was in there. Also plan on using green enchilada sauce for smothered burritos and breakfast toaster sandwiches using a 1/2 pkg of bacon. Also for my menu I have everything else so no shopping needed. Trying to stay out of the stores so that helps.

I keep track of my grocery expenses each year but for 2020 the receipts were stuffed in a bag and put to the side. I tallied all of them, actually spent a lot less than I thought and now I'm ready to start fresh for the new year. I always shop with a list but I got in the habit of buying all of the extras so I'll try to limit the impulse buys.

Staying home today, dh and dd both working all day so I am enjoying the quiet.

#57 ·
Got email our county libraries will be closed to walk-ins beginning Monday due to COVID. You can still order books for drive-by pickups. Thank goodness for e-books.
Meeting the furniture buyer at parents' house early tomorrow. I had the idea to print some blank "receipt" sheets from a free Excel template. I expect they will want/need one since this person is a re-seller.

#58 ·
Martha- I have the same issue. Old fillings and once they get bad, they will get pulled. Not enough tooth to refill or do anything more. Crowns not for me with all the trouble they cause. I don't like pain anymore so dentures or partial dentures will be the answer.

Wunsagin-:welcome2: Looking forward to your posts! I keep track of my grocery spending online. I look at my bank receipts online and calculate what I spend each month. A spreadsheet would be easier, but I look at it to get a general idea....

DH getting a haircut and DS1 coming over to get his mail in the morning. We may return items at home depot as I purchased lots of light bulbs in different sizes and wattages. DH picked what he wanted to use.....The rest go back.

Making a roast beef and mashed potatoes for dinner. I call it pot roast but DH keeps correcting me. He figured out that beef is beef to me and I interchange it for everything. Whatever beef meal I'm making, I use whatever is on hand. Like the time I used prime rib for stew and DS1 said it was the best he ever had...Or put roast beef in a pot roasting bag and the gravy was really good.....

#59 ·
Good trip to meet the furniture buyer. He bought some of the silver items immediately and the store has made an offer on about 10 furniture items and some miscellaneous pieces. Arranging a pickup date/time next week. This will clear a good chunk of floor space. The rest will probably get donated. Called a different estate auction place and they took a look at the picture gallery and said not something they could handle. So I think I got lucky with this little store buying as many pieces as they did want.
Hubby is making supper. I plan to just relax the rest of the day.

#62 ·
Good morning. I guess I will try to list some of parents' furniture on Facebook Marketplace. A nice bedroom set and dining room stuff for starters. Taking a wild guess on prices. Never tried this before so I expect hours to figure out. All those furniture photos I took in October coming in handy. Decent weather next couple of days, at least I don't have to fight snow or sleet like some others. Hubby has gone to donate plasma since he already had COVID. Maybe meatloaf for supper. I hope everyone has a good day.

#63 ·
Lazy Sunday here. Slept late. 32 out but sunny, may go for a walk later. Good on groceries for the coming week, except DH has drunk all the tea again. Well, the tea he likes anyways.

Not sure what is for dinner. We have leftover bbq, leftover soup, and leftover chicken curry. That ought to be enough choices.

Supposed to have a warm streak starting tomorrow.

#64 ·
Happy belated new year everyone!

Every year we have our Christmas tree down by January 1st, this year I wanted to leave it up for a little longer so just took it down yesterday. Dh and I also took the dogs for a walk at the park yesterday, glad we did it yesterday because it is much colder today. I have noticed since Covid that our park is much more used. I used to go in the winter and a lot of times be the only one at the park, now there is always lots of cars in the parking lot. We got up early this morning to grocery shop, not many people at all there which was nice but they were working on stocking the shelves so lots in the way. Dh made us breakfast sandwiches when we got home and I finished a 500 piece puzzle I started yesterday. Took a nap and read for a bit. Still want to request some books from the library online. Dh wants guacamole and picked up the ripest avocados that he could find but still slightly hard so he is trying something that he saw online with wrapping them in foil and putting in the oven on low for 10 minutes. We'll see if that works.

#65 ·
Very cold here but no snow thank goodness. I have a roast in the crockpot, don't need scented candles I much prefer the smell of food cooking! Dd does home health and one of her clients makes amish bread and sometimes will send the starter home with her. She pulled those out of the freezer and we'll be doing some baking later.

Staying home as much as possible. My ex, (kids dad) and all of his siblings and their families have covid. My dd3 lives with him so just waiting for her to catch it. She's a deputy and I'm really surprised she hasn't had it yet. I worry that she does get sick and I can't do anything to help, you know, always a momma.

#66 ·
Stayed home today and overheated the house ...well, shed...because it was getting DAMP through the walls. Crazy wet warm winter here so far. Mostly 40s and RAIN, fog, humidity and wind. I keep the place at 50 and that apparently wasn't enough to keep it dry. Today I had it up to 75F (burning free scrap wood) so I was barefoot in jeans and a t-shirt. Not my usual hat, sweater and wool socks and slippers. Strange times.

I spent my time "crafting" a hanger for my chicken feeder so the ladies quit spilling the food all over just feeding field mice instead of themselves. Just need to find a little caribiner and a scrap of chain so I can get it to the right height. The way I did it they would have to stand on each other's backs to get to it...ooops. Liquid Fluid Drinkware Water Creative arts

#67 ·
was sunny yesterday but back to rain. had a burst of energy so worked on the basement and got some things moved and packed for value village. housework, laundry stuff to garage etc. basically rest of the family doesn't notice things like cat peeing on stuff and then I am downstairs.. went though shirts in storage I had forgot about. so some for kids some back in my closet and some to thrift store.

dh went to value village w car load and arbys ...very few here so hr or so round trip.. and they forgot ds gyro .. i don't leave drive though until I check to make sure

#68 ·
It was wet and raining all day....very yucky day...we dropped off a baby gift that was sitting by my front door for months....dropped off cookies I had in freezer for my son, and dropped off a few gifts I found that belong to my daughter's family. Packed up a box of clothes I had gotten for my nephew's granddaughter...forgot I have a two more dresses coming tomorrow....will squeeze in and may have to take something out.....husband will take to UPS this week...packed up the Christmas stuff....or so I thought....I am sitting here looking at a santa I forgot to pack....
Had leftover salad for dinner along with a couple tamales my neighbor sent over....husband had leftover scalloped potatoes, scrambled eggs,and sausage.....took a chicken out to cook on Tuesday. will last us a few days..looking forward to making soup with the leftovers....
Have dr. appt. on Wednesday. Hope it goes well....
Stay safe....stay healthy....have a great week....

#69 ·
Good morning. Cloudy but no rain I think. Started a Robert Stone paperback yesterday and like it a lot, can get more electronically from the library. Going to do computer and paperwork today. Still waiting to hear from furniture buyer for pickup day at dad's. Realized I need to get all other furniture measurements to list for online sales so hopefully later this week. Hubby rather wiped out from plasma donation yesterday - it was 2 bags and he missed lunch. Poor planning on his part, plus age. Guessing he won't volunteer again. They did give him a coupon for free 1 LB coffee at Dunkin'. :coffee:
I need to bake bread (machine). Leftovers for supper, shepherd's pie later in the week from leftover gr beef. I hope everyone has a good week.

#71 ·
Sunny morning. I'm so tired and have a headache. Dgd spent the night. I don't know how she gets away with it. She's one spoiled girl. She was up really early. Let her have some tablet time so I could rest a bit more. She's growing up. Got up, ate breakfast, dressed, brushed her teeth and was ready for the day all by her self. I'll take her home soon. Going to stop at target. There is a $2 coupon that can only be used in store. It's worth running in. I'll come home and start laundry. It really piled up.

Got some more work done in the bedroom. All the outlets and light switch has been changed. Painted inside the window and painted the window sill. Hung the curtains. It's coming along. Cleaned out a little in the closet to make room for the two leftover tubs. One bag of trash and a bag for the DAV. Got to keep decluttering. Still need to hang the TV and clean out the dressers.

I'm really thinking I like when ds and family wasn't coming over for dinner on Sunday. The day just turns to chaos when they come over. I got used to the peace and quiet. I know dh likes the girls coming over, but oldest dgd is really a handful. It's a constant fight between her and her mom. They just pick at each other. Drives me nuts.

I may cook some fish for dh and find something for myself. Or make some bok choy and chicken this time.

#72 ·
Sunny but cold this morning, supposed to have a warm streak starting today. Slept in late, almost forgot the quilt guild has a drive-thru this morning and I have stuff to drop off.

BW, yes, always something you forget. Last year it was christmas pillow covers. This year I could not find them. Still haven't taken down the tree.

Dlr, bless your hubby for donating plasma. Hope he feels better soon. Give him an iron pill if you have any.

GB, glad you did not get any ice. I heard from friends all over Texas that it was quite bad in places. Pot pie sounds really good.

Jetts, hope you can figure out something with the family. Maybe knock it back to dinner once a month? Years ago i told my family that if all they were going to do is watch football and argue with each other I wasn't going to visit. But I know not everyone is that assertive. Your bedroom is going to be super nice when it is done.

I've been getting headaches, too. I think it's the really dry air we have, combined with having the heat on.

Dinner tonight is a big nicoise salad (canned tuna, green beans, boiled potatoes, olives over lettuce) and onion soup.

Reactions: marthamfi
#73 ·
Good morning ladies- busy day for the family, I stayed home to enjoy the quiet. Dh had a dr appt to review his usage of the cpap. I don't think it's helping but we'll find out. Then he and dd have to take the car to the body shop for repair where someone backed in to her in a parking lot. His insurance is also providing her a rental car, that's a big help.

Going to work on a menu today, will pick 3 items to use from the kitchen freezer. I think a pot of ham and beans sounds good, I have at least 3 ham bones in there.

#74 ·
maybe your house your rules jett.. I know I am older so no fighting at mil or grandmas lol and anyone started...wooboy. remember one of the last times my mil was at my moms..my mom is kinda deaf..kids setting table while dh got mil..they were fighting said grandma may be deaf but nana ain't so shut it. and then my mil came in and I told her and she laughed and said damn straight. they are loving but say too old for that nonsense. can understand that!

back to rain but not that cold ..winds from hawaii. 50f or 9c. ds back in school ..the newly build one just opened finally. I am the same sinuses going but don't know if the heating or allergies. need to buy more reactine. found some other ones I had. no plans to go out today. texted ds to get some creamo on way home and dd can help w some work stuff. teach her something.

watching the enforcer..old Humphrey Bogart film while doing stuff. have a bunch of dvds from library to watch since dh doesn't like black and white shows. put away the water and takeout coffee cups that I had put though the dishwasher. some went to value village and some to recycling. the dinosaur shaped ones put w dinosaur stuff downstairs.

got the kids baby quilts in the cedar chest and got dd to take out all the pictures from photo albums and frames from mil ..all fit in shoebox size decorative box I had..they went to value village too. one half chest is dd other ds and still room to put stuff from school etc in too. slowly but surely decluttering.

opened the smoked porkchops I had bought and forgot..time always flies says expired dec 14 but still good so that w frozen mac n cheese and frozen veggies for dinner. easy peasy. scout stuff this week online too. always housework of course. last bit of chili and moldy bread to crows. ds needs to put out another seed suet block too. they go fast. only a couple left and no more in the store I got them. not paying $4 a block off amazon. 1.40 ok.

#75 ·
Jett—Families can be a challenge. At our age, we need to think of ourselves first. That can be a challenge.
Contrary—This has been the craziest weather. It is 27 this morning, but suppose to get into the 60s this week.
Wundagin—I totally love my alone time. Doesn’t happen a lot, but when it does...
Martha—Hope you feel better.

Going to bake something today. Just don’t know what. Been really trying to use leftovers in other dishes. Tonight I’m using stuffed weiners in the Mac and cheese and roasting veggies.
My insurance has changed and I get to order quarterly $40 of stuff. Going to get a new digital thermometer since I don’t have any type in the house. DH will get $40, too. So excited.

#76 ·
GB that is great. Maybe it covers vitamins and similar also? I will get access to Silver Sneakers through insurance beginning February and I see they have on-demand video workouts, could be useful for the time being.
Tried a new recipe in the bread machine. Been having trouble w/ dough falling but this one worked. I was surprised so will use it again a few times to be sure it's consistent. Hoping we can have leftover meatloaf for supper. Mac & cheese on the side sounds good. Working on another small X-stitch and found another Robert Parker paperback to read. Have not heard from furniture buyer yet, was hoping they would pick up while we are having decent weather instead of waiting for a rainy day.

#77 ·
Sunny and cold but has started warming. Will be a nice day out. Have a couple of stops to make before I get to my PT visit this afternoon. Would like to find some place to just sit in my car and enjoy the sun.

Finally got my grocery rewards points from a large purchase I made a week ago. Their register made a mistake. I wrote a polite email to their customer service and they fixed it. It's always nice when that goes smoothly. Hope they change their offers this week. Canned pasta, coffee creamer, and bottled water aren't things we use, even when free.

Pork chops and smashed sweet potatoes for dinner.

Hope you all have a good day.

#78 ·
Sunny and warmer today. Supposed to be warm tomorrow. Just staying in today. Dh took one of the other cars today. Left his truck behind me. I don't drive the truck, it's too big. He said I could drive it last week when I went to the dentist, but last minute, he moved all the cars around. Good thing. The parking lot was full and would have had a terrible time trying to park. We may need to do that driveway after all.

Anyway, I'm going to catch up on laundry. Need to swap out the loads in a few minutes. Have to wash all the towels, since I don't know where dgd dried off the makeup she dropped in the toilet. Bought dgd new makeup. I ordered a caboodle for her to keep it all in. Once we get the bedroom finished, I'm going to move my great-grandmother's table in there and dgd (she got her middle name from ggma) will use it as a makeup table. Dh said he'd hang the Tv in the bedroom tonight. May try to clean out another drawer in the dresser.

I may make some fish tonight for dh. We have some leftovers and may just eat that instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.