Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Garden catalogs are out. What are your plans for 2021? Gardening for the first time? Expanding your plot? Trying new flowers or vegetables? Fighting pests and weather? Talk about it here.

·
Super Moderator
20,057 Posts
My plan is to finally get our garden area set up in some kind of logical way, instead of just all jumbled up.

The tub with horseradish in it needs to be moved from one side of the garage to the other.

I want to get a roofless salvaged screen room set up to keep deer out of plants. That was one of reasons for moving the lilies of the valley out of the way and onto the slope behind the garage last year.

I want to figure out where all the dryer drums go that we salvaged. They've just sort of been stacked up or used wherever they got set, but the time has come for a real plan. I also hope we can get some of them clad with pallet wood so they aren't so ugly. This whole area needs to be reworked.

We need to decide if the temporary fence there is the right configuration, and how to make it look nicer. It also needs a gate into the dog yard for better access to the back of the cabin.

Ugly temporary table garden is already gone, luckily, so more space for dryer drum planters. Will need to figure out how to make those sit level.

If we can get half that list done, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Here's hoping my knee is up to gardening in the spring. If nothing else, I want to get out to the herb plot at the community garden in 2021.

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ren, does your CG have any raised beds? If not, maybe this is the year to build some. Ours has a limited number of raised beds for those who can't get down on the ground.

I have decided I want to grow more herbs and fewer peppers. I always have more peppers than I can eat, and nobody else wants them. One of the trees in our back yard has grown so much over the years that it now shades a good portion of my garden, so I am limited as to where and how many tomatoes I can plant. That leaves a lot of room for greens and herbs. Also, we loved watching the birds come to the sunflowers, so I'll be planting those again.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have saved seeds from my squash and pumpkins. Also some camelina seed. Almost any seeds that dried out nicely on a bit of news print. Still have kale seed from last year. Also saved cosmos seeds for the local pollinators

·
Registered
95 Posts
We now also have new garden catalogs. Unfortunately, most of them can only be viewed online. I had loved leafing through the paper catalogs, dreaming of the summer and making new plans.
I will try to go more in the direction of permaculture so that I don't have to water as much. The summers here are usually very windy and dry.
I have already pruned part of the fruit trees.
The Siberian blueberry (Lonicera kamtschatica) already has thick buds. If the weather stays this mild, it will soon bloom.
I can still harvest Brussels sprouts, kale, leeks, beetroot and herbs. The new onions are so big that I can harvest some fresh green.
In the next few days I will sow parsley and carrots. Let's see if that works.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
CH - if I want raised beds, I'd have to make them myself. Although I'm sure I could find someone to help out with that if I really wanted to do that.

Miteigenenhaenden, I have some friends who do permaculture on their own farm. Take a look at their website (Fields Without Fences). Granted, it's geared toward their area but it may give you ideas.

·
Super Moderator
20,057 Posts
Raised beds are expensive, mostly because of dirt. And you can't use treated lumber, so have to replace them periodically. My favorite raised beds are concrete block. Zero maintenance, cheap to buy, last forever, and provide seating. But of course they're heavy to work with.

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't find any good photos of the CG raised beds, but they are concrete block, too. They are about hip height so someone in a wheelchair can reach into them. If your garden is non-profit you might be able to get help building a few of them by applying to home improvement or garden centers. The bottom layers can be straw, logs or other garden debris. It will decompose and compact over time, and you can add soil as needed.

Just an idea. Probably by the time spring rolls around your knee will be fine. :)

It is so dry here, the ground is cracked and hard as a rock. We've had less than a tenth of an inch of precipitation the past month or two. I really hope we get some "good" winter storms this year.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Would definitely need non-treated wood if I was going to create raised beds. The CG prefers/encourages organic products, especially since the plots are so close together.

CH - my knee's gotten a lot better since I started PT back in October. I do get some twinges now and again but I've mostly weaned off the cane now. I use the cane mostly when I'm concerned about footing (icy spots) or when I get tired, like after PT which is an hour long per session. So I think it will be good enough to go by spring. That and I can do things in small segments.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I think the only seeds I'm missing is peas and creole tomatoes. I keep meaning to save the seeds but somehow that never happens.

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked my seeds and I don't have much left from last year, lettuce, beans, snow peas, cucumber, thai basil, radish, and 2 varieties of tomato. I think one pack of tomato seed was bad because none of them grew.

Last night I bought:

Sage Herb Seeds
Packet - 200 Seeds

Chamomile, German
Packet - 200 Seeds

Rainbow Blend Showstopper Beet Seeds
Packet - 200 Seeds

Artisan Mix Prettiest Tomato Seeds
Packet - 25 to 30 Seeds

Shock Wave Purple Tie Dye Spreading Petunia
Packet: 5 Pellets

Music Box Mix Sunflowers
Packet - 25 Seeds

Strawberry Blonde Hybrid Sunflower
Packet - 10 to 12 Seeds

Earthwalker Sunflower
Packet - 25 Seeds

Early Bird Special - 2 Free Seeds Packs
1 tomato, 1 cucumber

Autumn Beauty Sunflower
Packet - 50 Seeds

I plan to buy rosemary in a pot this spring. Will pick up basil, chives, spinach/chard, onions, peppers, possibly more tomatoes, and zucchini/yellow squash from the community garden.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
95 Posts
Miteigenenhaenden, I have some friends who do permaculture on their own farm. Take a look at their website (Fields Without Fences). Granted, it's geared toward their area but it may give you ideas.
Sorry, renmerc446! I've only seen your answer now.
Thanks for the link. I will look at it.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Not sure what I'm planting this year. I have a ghost pepper plant that grows year round. We bring it in during the winter. The lights in the basement are really bright and may be enough to be considered grow lights. My blue berry plant looks okay. We'll see in the spring. Hopefully we get some blueberries this year. Both dgds love blueberries. I'll have at least one tomato plant. Last year it didn't do as well. I'd like to move my strawberries to the deck. They are in a tub in the corner of the yard and I forget about them. They'll have to be moved anyway, if we put the fence up. Lettuce for dgd. She loved growing her own lettuce and picking it. We did basil too. She didn't like it. Not sure if bok choy will grow in a pot. Will have to do some research.

·
Registered
478 Posts
We're thawed out so early this year I'm having trouble NOT planting already. but it is way way to early. I have to content myself with spreading out the manure I bought and dreaming of summer.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I bought my fruit trees and have only planted the apple trees so far. My friend has a greenhouse they finished putting up a couple of months ago and she said I can start all my seeds in it. I'm super excited!! I'd like to get started on that this weekend.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's a very warm January, but there is a lot of rain. I cannot sow anything in the garden before the beginning of March. Until then, there may still be snow.
I am so impatient every year. I have to wait 7 more weeks.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Likely won't be able to sow anything in the garden until at least April in my area. We just got at least a foot of snow (likely more) over the past couple of days. Won't probably melt for a week, if not more. January in my area was cool but not entirely cold as it should be for winter.

I'm waiting on picking up seeds until at least March or April. I do pick up started plants in May. I get some from the local farmer's market but I also found a couple of other nurseries in my area. I'm thinking of picking up lettuce again this year if I get back into the garden. I just have to remember to pick it before it bolts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Right now, at this very moment, absolutely in every apartment there are certain insects, the only question is which ones and in what quantity. With a good combination of circumstances, these are small bugs, the existence of which you may not even suspect. They do not harm, do not bite, and live completely apart somewhere in the dust behind the farthest corner of the sofa. However, this is rather an exception, since most insects, especially in spring and summer, openly demonstrate their presence in your home and are often pests of products and various materials, and can also attack you directly, mainly trying to drink your blood. I was faced with the problem of a large number of insects and my friend advised me to pest control services . Then I could not imagine how it would save me and help get rid of a large number of pests.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts