Frugal Village Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
I think it's a good idea for people to get interested in gardening, too. Even if they suck at it like we do. I wonder how many will start and then abandon it as more people get vaccinated and other activities become available again.

Husby is pulling pallets now. Once they're all apart, we can start building some covers for the dryer drum planters. I figured out how to temporarily stand the boards up around the planters while they get fastened in place. Duh, bungees. That should make it easy. We might have to do a curbside pickup at Menards when we go for our second shot, so we can buy the bands and screws for the project. I'm starting to look forward to working on them.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
nice everyone! not planting season yet here. still too cold. I love lilac bushes and so many people people here have them. mine probably needs a trim. always blooms about mothers day or earlier. just clean up season. dh friend came over and a little is done. dh said the kids cleaned up backyard but haven't looked. like drywall bits were left out over winter etc. dump run or something will be needed. like normal. the rose bushes were moved and rhubarb is starting to come up. Bought CSA again so not really thinking about growing much. more cleaning up pruning etc. planting more stuff like fruit trees when stuff is moved. neighbour has a double white lilac bush that hangs over our fence that needs a trim but also has some vine growing it weakening it. so will see if we can trim it.

dh looked at a different garden centre and found forsythia in different sizes but was to sore to get some today. I was thinking of planting grape vines but hydrangea vine was suggested too. old neighbour used to have one running on the fence but got torn down w the house etc.

apparently a few neighbours have gotten chickens ds said.. have been saying to get them since we have the old raised playhouse..just floor and legs left but plenty of room under to make a coop.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Told the garden coordinator I was coming back again this year. I was worried last fall with my knee giving me problems. My knee's much better now, although I'm still taking PT.

Going to be to start getting back into the garden in the next couple of weeks. The last of the cold temps are likely to be done now, at least once this weekend's over. I just need to make sure I get out and get the work done, since I'm still working at home.

·
Registered
333 Posts
good for you renmerc! Keep at it. I've got something coming up in the minigreenhouse...radishes? swiss chard? Weeds? no sign of the potatoes in the outdoor garden yet.
I'm not working from home but it is SO fun to get even a bit of food from your own garden that I"m trying to keep at it this year.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Spent about 4 hours outside this afternoon, mostly painting. Also ran the sprinkler on the planted part of the garden but it completely failed to get the lettuce, so I carried a couple buckets of water out to that spot. I've yet to find a good reliable sprinkler. Two pea plants are up, so I watered. Something else... maybe bok choy....coming up too.

Mixed flower fertilizer and filled the 2 gallon bucket 10 times to water all the lilac bushes out back and on the side. Noticed that the honeysuckle is coming up with enthusiasm now, despite the weed killer I applied a couple weeks ago.

DH broke up the branch that fell in the driveway last week, but the battery for his hand saw is dead, so the larger parts remain. I need to remind him it has a power cord, too. But he is still tired and sore from his COVID shot. My old thermometer says it is 80F this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
CH- Looks like things are coming along. It will look great when it's finished. Projects take twice as long as I think they should of course...

I cleaned the rock garden a bit but needs much more work. I planted lilies and lily-of-the-valley there. The one lilac bush looks like straw and I wonder if it's alive. I'll take a closer look and see if the branches snap...If it has to be removed, then the new apple tree will go there.

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
The chives in my sink garden are ¼" tall. At least they're growing. Not much garden news around here yet.

I got the rain barrel hooked up right before the first rain shower. I'm curious if we'll get any measureable amount. We desperately need rain.

There's a huge crack in the lake ice now, so if we get rain tonight we should have ice-out soon.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I picked 2 medium sized heads of broccoli on April 1st. My first harvest from the garden.

I planted peas and they are 2-3" tall already. Also planted tomatoes, yellow quash, cayanne peppers, jalapenos and green peppers.

We almost had a frost last week. 2 nights in a row the temps were 35 and 38. We are back in the 50s at night agaIn, phew!

Reactions: Contrary Housewife
41 - 48 of 48 Posts