Frugal Village Forums banner
41 - 60 of 130 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,118 Posts
I think it's a good idea for people to get interested in gardening, too. Even if they suck at it like we do. I wonder how many will start and then abandon it as more people get vaccinated and other activities become available again.

Husby is pulling pallets now. Once they're all apart, we can start building some covers for the dryer drum planters. I figured out how to temporarily stand the boards up around the planters while they get fastened in place. Duh, bungees. That should make it easy. We might have to do a curbside pickup at Menards when we go for our second shot, so we can buy the bands and screws for the project. I'm starting to look forward to working on them.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
nice everyone! not planting season yet here. still too cold. I love lilac bushes and so many people people here have them. mine probably needs a trim. always blooms about mothers day or earlier. just clean up season. dh friend came over and a little is done. dh said the kids cleaned up backyard but haven't looked. like drywall bits were left out over winter etc. dump run or something will be needed. like normal. the rose bushes were moved and rhubarb is starting to come up. Bought CSA again so not really thinking about growing much. more cleaning up pruning etc. planting more stuff like fruit trees when stuff is moved. neighbour has a double white lilac bush that hangs over our fence that needs a trim but also has some vine growing it weakening it. so will see if we can trim it.

dh looked at a different garden centre and found forsythia in different sizes but was to sore to get some today. I was thinking of planting grape vines but hydrangea vine was suggested too. old neighbour used to have one running on the fence but got torn down w the house etc.

apparently a few neighbours have gotten chickens ds said.. have been saying to get them since we have the old raised playhouse..just floor and legs left but plenty of room under to make a coop.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Told the garden coordinator I was coming back again this year. I was worried last fall with my knee giving me problems. My knee's much better now, although I'm still taking PT.

Going to be to start getting back into the garden in the next couple of weeks. The last of the cold temps are likely to be done now, at least once this weekend's over. I just need to make sure I get out and get the work done, since I'm still working at home.

·
Registered
506 Posts
good for you renmerc! Keep at it. I've got something coming up in the minigreenhouse...radishes? swiss chard? Weeds? no sign of the potatoes in the outdoor garden yet.
I'm not working from home but it is SO fun to get even a bit of food from your own garden that I"m trying to keep at it this year.

·
Registered
10,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Spent about 4 hours outside this afternoon, mostly painting. Also ran the sprinkler on the planted part of the garden but it completely failed to get the lettuce, so I carried a couple buckets of water out to that spot. I've yet to find a good reliable sprinkler. Two pea plants are up, so I watered. Something else... maybe bok choy....coming up too.

Mixed flower fertilizer and filled the 2 gallon bucket 10 times to water all the lilac bushes out back and on the side. Noticed that the honeysuckle is coming up with enthusiasm now, despite the weed killer I applied a couple weeks ago.

DH broke up the branch that fell in the driveway last week, but the battery for his hand saw is dead, so the larger parts remain. I need to remind him it has a power cord, too. But he is still tired and sore from his COVID shot. My old thermometer says it is 80F this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
CH- Looks like things are coming along. It will look great when it's finished. Projects take twice as long as I think they should of course...

I cleaned the rock garden a bit but needs much more work. I planted lilies and lily-of-the-valley there. The one lilac bush looks like straw and I wonder if it's alive. I'll take a closer look and see if the branches snap...If it has to be removed, then the new apple tree will go there.

·
Super Moderator
20,118 Posts
The chives in my sink garden are ¼" tall. At least they're growing. Not much garden news around here yet.

I got the rain barrel hooked up right before the first rain shower. I'm curious if we'll get any measureable amount. We desperately need rain.

There's a huge crack in the lake ice now, so if we get rain tonight we should have ice-out soon.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I picked 2 medium sized heads of broccoli on April 1st. My first harvest from the garden.

I planted peas and they are 2-3" tall already. Also planted tomatoes, yellow quash, cayanne peppers, jalapenos and green peppers.

We almost had a frost last week. 2 nights in a row the temps were 35 and 38. We are back in the 50s at night agaIn, phew!

·
Registered
10,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
We have had some frost warnings but so far everything is ok. At least from the cold.

Lettuce I planted didn't come up, except maybe 4 seedlings. I dumped another packet of seed into the ground today. Radishes look good. Only 3 peas came up from the dozen or more seeds I put in. Planted another 15-20 seeds today. Looks like something has been eating the bok choy, only part of the row left and it looked chewed on. Planted a row of beets. They did well last year. Dug out last years pepper plant stalks, they put down good roots. Got in about an hour of painting, which was not much.

Found the nursery pots and filled them with dirt, trying to get it to absorb some water. It's so dry it just rolls off. I want to get tomatoes and cucumbers started indoors.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Picked up a packet of pea seeds for my plot. I'm going to start working on my garden this weekend. (The weather looks to be warm and perfect to get to work.)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
The first clean-up day is this coming Saturday for my community garden. I do have some seeds (peas) but nothing else yet. Then again, the regular farmer's market opens the next week so I'm not too worried about it. I usually get my starts from the local farmer's market, although I did notice the local florist is also selling veggie starts again this year. And I checked out another plant nursery. I think I'll go the nursery and pick up some thyme for the collective herb garden since I'm going to be focusing on that as my group 'service'.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Went to the first clean-up day for the community garden. It was nice to be out and about doing that. I picked up some herbs for the community herb garden. I didn't find the thyme that I wanted to try for the herb plot, although I will pick one up if I see it again. I just hope it rains like it's forecast to do tonight. We're still waiting on the water spikett to get fixed (still waiting on a part). We do have a cistern but it's been so dry it hasn't been refilled recently. (Apparently someone left the faucet open a few weeks ago.)

My knee started twinging when I was working on my own plot. I will try and get more work done tomorrow. If nothing else, I need to replace some of my tools. I've had the for years so they need to be replaced anyway. Some I took from my parents' place when I started at the community garden. (They didn't mind since the tools were just sitting in the tool shed.)

·
Registered
506 Posts
I checked for beet seeds at the local hardware and found orach too! I know it's glorified lambsquarters but I really wanted some and I like the red color. Hope it works here.

·
Registered
10,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Good find! I've never heard of it before, but it looks like it would be a good ornamental, too. I had some lambsquarters pop up in flower pots last year, and it came back this spring. I need to figure out how to get it into the yard.

I looked at the garden today. Garlic is the biggest I have ever grown, it's 2ft tall already and big at the base. Lettuce is finally coming up. There are volunteer carrots. Radishes and oregano look good. I have sage to plant, and want to get chives. I also want to buy a few more tomato plants, as well as getting my own seeded. It's finally going to be warm this week.

Today DH and did a lot of clean up under the deck and got two of the panels up. Ripped up a lot of errant honeysuckle. I hope to get it growing up the lattice.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I purchased a horizontal hoe and a new rake. I had two rakes - one the usual long headed one with about a dozen tines and another with three tines. The long headed rake head got separated from the handle and isn't useful any more. The small headed rake had a wooden handle which broke. It would've been good for a child but I'm afraid it would've given someone splinters so I got rid of it. Then again, I have no idea how old it was so it was time for it to go.

The hoe has the cutting edge of the head parallel to the ground, rather than perpendicular or at an angle. I do have the usual hoe but I think the new hoe will cut through the weeds easier.

I still need to get my peas in the ground. I will probably get them in the ground by next Saturday at the latest. I still have some opportunistic strawberries from the plot "next door" but most of them died last year or so. I did pick up two new strawberry plants but they're the ever-blooming variety, rather than the June-bearing variety that made their way into my plot. One of the other gardeners was interested in planting strawberries so I may try and get a baby from a runner for her at some point.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
nice to have stuff growing already! since it rained sent ds out to weed a bit ..all the maple trees popping up.. easier when wet.. the sun is out. the magic words no internet lol I am thinking of moving raised garden though it isn't really that raised a few inches only. I need a lot higher. but have a cement ring thinking of moving dirt to there because better spot now. ordered some flowers and a assorted veggie pack which comes mothers day ..support a local charity. I will refresh some of the hanging baskets from last year. Nothing in the strawberry pot did well last year at all so don't know what to do with it.

·
Registered
10,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Have a big strawberry pot that nothing will grow in, too. We tried for several years, even with a piece of pipe down the middle of it, it just dried out too fast in the summer, and the dirt falls out of the holes. Now I use it to store other empty pots.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
yes not big enough for other pots and I had put flowers in there last year but .. maybe fake flowers ..will see something will pop in my head. or trailing vine type of plant.

·
Registered
10,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Tomatoes and cucumbers got seeded this week. Just have to keep the pots moist.

Lilacs have been hit or miss. The ones near the driveway bloomed heavily. The ones around the deck in back had almost no flowers. Those are also the ones that broke due to ice a few years ago and got thinned out. I'm going to fertilize this year and hope they do better next year.

Painted lattice for half an hour this morning and then worked in the sun for 45 mins... should have done that the other way around. Got a lot cleaned up but did not get the onions planted. All the tomato cages and canes are out now.

Noticed that my clematis, which was growing quickly a few days ago looked limp and near to death. The stems can be fragile but mine does not appear to be broken so I poured a bucket of water on it and hope it recovers. The chard also looked wilted, so another bucket on that, and one each for the lettuce and radishes. I got 5 or 6 radishes today! The 3rd seeding of lettuce seems to have taken. No sign of beets yet. A few more peas came up so they got a bucket of water.

I bought a new oscillating sprinkler last week, a nice metal one. Need to get it away from DH and set it up out back. These spring rains won't last long.

Reactions: MaggieTru
41 - 60 of 130 Posts