Frugal Village Forums banner
61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I was hoping to get into the garden today but between the wind chill and cranky leg, I decide not to. I'll go tomorrow, especially since it's supposed to be warmer. I didn't see any plant starts that called to me at the farmer's market anyway.

Still waiting on the water spiket to get fixed at the garden. We do have a backup cistern to collect rainwater but I'm not sure if the rain earlier in the week filled it up enough to get some water from it. Somehow, the cistern was drained a few weeks back, likely from someone not turning the faucet off properly.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
got my flowers which I got to redo some baskets etc. not going to get a lot this year the flat of marigolds and petunias is enough. last year the marigolds disappeared for some reason. the veggies were 4 diff tomatoes, romaine lettuce, cucumber, zucchini, kale, one with no tag so thinking it is a bean.. not sure what the other is too. family gets to move dirt from raised bed to other place better sun for mothers day.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Got some more weeding done yesterday. I still have about half the plot to finish weeding but at least I got some done. We're still waiting on the water faucet for the garden to be fixed. In the meantime, we're also trying to figure out how we're going to refill the 'backup' cistern, with the rain being so hit or miss.

I will check the farmer's market again next week to see if I find any other plant starts I want to put in the garden. I do have to get some peas in the ground, though. I do like peas and have a packet of them. I just need to put them in the ground. Although I do also need to make sure I have water to water them when I do.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Got some more weeding done. Also planted a couple more tomato plants. Some I'll give to the wait staff at the restaurant where I go for brunch. But I want to start making tomato sauce like I did a few years back. I enjoyed that.

They're still working on getting the water faucet fixed. I hope that's done soon. It's been dry the past two months and the cistern is dry as well.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I will do some weeding and pulling in the rock garden today. I'm replanting the apple tree and will attempt to grow carrots and basil. The carrots take 60 days to grow and with this wet weather, I'm hoping they grow....We have a wine barrel outside and I usually put herbs in it. They do well in it, although there have been 2 holes in the soil in it..Maybe from that pesky squirrel.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Finally watered my plants in my plot. The spicket was finally fixed earlier this week. My plants still seem to be alive but haven't grown much since I've planted them earlier this month. It's been really dry the past few weeks and this month in general.

Was able to pick strawberries as well from the plants that have been there for years. (Their roots are definitely well established by now!) I have two new (everbearing) strawberry plants I planted this year but they haven't really done much due to the lack of rain/water.

My new hoe is working out really well. So far I've been able to keep on top of the weeds. I just hope I don't start procrastinating as the summer heats up (or my knee decides to be a jerk).

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
dh picked rhubarb one bunch, still more to pick. got the veggie plants done couple of days ago and a few of the flowers. have to figure where all of them go cus the 10 pack of marigolds turns out 10 6 packs so all need to go into pots etc. no flower beds. so homes to found. has been raining or chilly so haven't looked a the veggie plants.

·
Registered
480 Posts
picking already!!! wow. My rhubarb is up this year and looks good but I think it needs another year before I harvest it.
I am pretty pleased with the perennial veggies that have survived and the cilantro that self seeded. I hear tales of a woman who has a self-seeding cherry tomato plant around here. I am on the hunt to find her and request or swipe an over ripe tomato this fall for seed.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Maggie Rhubarb is always ready now here cus we have a lot milder weather ..roses are out irises etc. flowers all over. if you don't do it soon then it is too late.

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
We've had so much rain it is starting to affect the plants. The marigolds I planted a month ago are rotting. It's sad. I got some yellow squash seedlings and they immediately got mildew, and though they are planted I am not sure they are going to make it. My lettuce is struggling. There hasn't been enough sun. The chard is older, it got bigger before we got all this rain and it is ok. I'm not sure the beets are going to come up. It may just rot. The tomatoes I bought are ok, but getting too much water, which can be bad for them. The two smaller peppers haven't grown at all.

My bok choi came up and got about an inch high and went immediately to flowers. Barely any leaves on any of them. I'm going to let it go to seed and hope it comes back in the fall. Radishes were good for about a week, less than 25% were edible before they shot up flowers. Leaving them for the pollinators.

OTOH everything I seeded in pots is doing well, not getting drowned in the yard. Will have to figure out spaces for everything.

Several more days of rain expected into next week. :(

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hope to have a big harvest on my plot as I have put a lot of work into it this year. From the trepidation of choosing the seeds to the fertilization. I'm also planning to make some repairs to the barn, because its roof is about to fall apart. And will need to figure out a place to put the logs, since I read the article Best Kinetic Log Splitter Collection That Are Most Versatile! - Trim That Weed and now want to buy a kinetic log splitter, and start making logs for the winter already. I'm sure this purchase will save a lot of time and effort that I can invert into something else.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Had a good soaking rain this weekend, although it ended up being too chilly to do anything Saturday and Sunday. I did get some weeding done today, though. I do have to figure out what else I want to put into the garden. I still have about half my plot to fill with stuff, although I do need to put some peas in still. Between the rain and the water faucet being fixed, I don't have to worry about losing any new plants.

I really like the stirrup hoe I picked up earlier this year. It makes the weeding so much easier. I should have picked one up years ago!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm jealous of the rain! But I know too much isn't good. I am in the beginning of what looks like the driest year ever in North Idaho. We are at 20 or 25% of the usual rainfall so far this year and the snow pack is coming off the mountains fast. That snow is what prevents wildfires...so, we'll pretty much burn up.

That said, I did get the gardens done today (until they need weeding again). I was out there 3 hours off and on. Had most of the prep work done and over half planted but did a final push to get it wrapped up. I'm trying orache this year and saw the darn robins out having snacks. I didn't have any weed mat or good screening material to put down...but I did have a bunch of old t-shirts ready for the rag bag....I used old pin-flags to staple down the cut up t-shirts. It looks trashy but it is 100% cotton and hopefully will give my seeds a chance to sprout. I'll figure something else out here soon. A friend offered some hoops she isn't using anymore...that might do the trick. Just need to find screen or fabric for them.

Anyway, thrilled to get it done! Got a fresh horseradish root in the mix from a friend. My soil is such heavy clay that the ones I put in 4 years ago are dead...that is some bad soil. Now the garden has a bunch of sheep poo in it and has been tilled 4 years running I think.

I threw camelina seeds on the areas I'm not sure what to do with. It comes up well and fast so I can put in a fall crop when it's done.

now to get the sheep poo mulch spread out...so by "done" I didn't mean "done done" apparently

·
Banned
1 Posts
Hi, I'm planning to expand my garden this year. I already have a few rose bushes and tulips, but this is not enough. I would like to plant something like azaleas or rhododendron. I think that these flowers will fit perfectly into my garden. I am currently in the process of searching for a store where I will buy plants for planting or seeds. at the moment, I have chosen an online store troopscout.com. I think we should order the first plants and see how it takes root. If everything goes well, then in the future I will buy from this store. Has anyone ever dealt with this flower shop?

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I need to get new flowers for my garden, where to get seeds?
Any of your local hardware or garden centers should have them. Also, look up sources online that mail order to your location.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I need to get new flowers for my garden, where to get seeds?
Also check with your local florists. If they don't sell plants for gardens, they might know who sells them.

Farmers markets usually sell started plants (plants that are already started and just need to be planted into the ground), although this time of year, they may no longer have those in stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also check with your local florists. If they don't sell plants for gardens, they might know who sells them.

Farmers markets usually sell started plants (plants that are already started and just need to be planted into the ground), although this time of year, they may no longer have those in stock.
It's too late to look for seeds and seedlings. This should be done in March or April. Now there is simply no point in planting seeds. Better in the fall to buy seeds harvested this year for planting next spring.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have a rock garden and not sure how to keep it free from weeds and grass! I pull things out by hand but there must be a better way...I wonder if adding more rock would help? Is there a spray that gets rid of the grass and weeds?

I planted more flower bulbs after Mother's Day. The lilies started to grow and have lots of blooms. DH noticed them and asked if I planted more flowers..... The lilacs have grown wider with all of the snow and now the heat.

If the walnut tree has to be cut down next year, maybe I can erect a greenhouse in that corner. With the huge amounts of snow that we get, I'd like a sturdy one that won't collapse but dunno if there is such a thing. Unless it's glass?

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Rujerro, it's impossible to keep weeds out of rocks. Even if you put weed barrier down and used sterile potting soil it would collect windblown and animal carried seeds. Almost anything that will kill weeds will kill your flowers, too. There are some better targeted broad leaf weed killers these days, which work well on a lawn, but they don't differentiate between weedy leaves and flower leaves.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts