Frugal Village Forums banner
81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I have the same problem. I am trying to pull the weeds before they flower and seed themselves. There will always be random wind-blown seeds but try to not let the existing ones propagate.
If you have shade, you could encourage moss and let it crowd out the weeds.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I noticed my front beds have a lot of grass growing again. This after putting down the landscaping material and then mulch. The area I just remulched seems to be doing better keeping the grass out. It's been too hot to pull weeds. Maybe tomorrow. It's supposed to be cooler. I want to get more mulch. I tried cedar mulch a couple of years ago. It doesn't seem to do as well as the cypress mulch I used to get. I think I'll go back to the cypress. This might be a good time to talk dh into redoing a portion of the front bed. The rocks that are currently there are starting to crumble. I want to get rid of them and do some nicer landscaping blocks. Get rid of some of the dirt and put in new soil. Not sure if dh will want to do that, but that's my dream. I also want to get some pea gravel to do a 6-8 inch row next to the house. I've read that it's not good to put mulch against the house. It keeps the foundation too wet and if there is wood, could be a termite problem. Nothing grows there anyway. I'm thinking the tiny little pebbles. I'm afraid someone would take a bigger rock and break the windows.

We have a dead spot in the lawn, where we used to have a tree. The tree company came back after the stump grinding and put down soil and seed. It didn't grow very well. We watered it and took care of it last year, but this year it just died. It was looking good a few weeks ago, but a week later it's dead. Not sure what's up there. I think we'll leave it for the summer and then rake it up and put down some new soil and new seed in the fall.

Once we get the pool up, we'll be able to start cleaning up the backyard. It's looking pretty bad these days. Lots of dirt piled here and there from digging this and that. I have an area where we buried our dog and it's looking a little rough. I weeded it a few weeks ago, but it looks awful. Someone dumped sand in there too. I think it just needs a new layer of mulch. Thankfully, the neighbor behind us has had someone come in and weed eat her side of the fence. Last year was horrible. We paid someone to clear part of it. Then she finally got someone to finish up.

Really want some new flowers, but now is not the time. I'd like to get some that bloom all year. Different things here and there so it looks nice. Not sure what I want. Just something that blooms when the last one finishes and so on.

·
Registered
475 Posts
the weeds! So many weeds. I think this year is rougher than most here because it is SO DRY that the watered garden is a haven for every seed...though that would mean the weed seeds were thinking and somehow migrating to my garden so maybe not. Still, so many weeds this year!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I went to weed my plot today (Saturday) and got a pleasant surprise. One of the other gardeners dug up the empty part of the plot for me. I laughed because another gardener 'warned' me about it and said he wasn't the one who did it. But it was a very nice thing to do. I just need to figure out what else to put in that section. I wasn't too impressed with the last remaining started plants at the farmer's market today. I will probably pick up some bush beans and plant those. I like beans. I'm just annoyed that I didn't get around to planting peas earlier in the season. I can also plant cucumbers since I do like those.

·
Registered
10,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
It's been raining so the weeds are going crazy again. Plants were all 75% at the hardware store so I go a few. Not much left, and most of it in bad shape. Two pots of chives, since one I bought earlier died and the one that survived is not doing so well. I'm trying to get it established again. Also two perennials for the flower garden. Can't remember what they are. They have already bloomed, so I just hope they come back next year.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Glad to see people still planting. We are hit as blazes here and I am watering one garden or another every night. I had a spot that was supposed to be potatoes but nothing was there. I tilled it up a bit and put in greens and radishes. Hope that works. I think I have a very few peaches plants that came up. Cool! It may be too hot for them but at least the seeds germinated this time. I seem to have quite a few volunteer bean plants. Will be interesting to see what they are.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
veggie plants finally growing not great but thought soil was better so maybe buy some manure. did put magic grow on it cus I had it. got all the marigolds and petunias planted. everything exploded here grew so much that need a good pruning so that can wait after heatwave. dh friend is a good gardener etc but won't come near our place cus covid even if just in garden and no one else out their yards. would pay him too. have to respect their choices.

pulled morning glory this morning cus easy that stuff grows so fast .. got ds to cut down all blackberry suckers and pull ragweed. green bin can only hold so much. raspberries ripening too tasty!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I forgot about the coffee grinds I got from the restaurant I go to for Sunday brunch. I put them in the fridge for the moment until I finally get back out into the garden. I didn't find any started plants that I liked at my farmer's market on Saturday. I can check with a couple of local plant nurseries to see if they have anything I like. I'm thinking of putting more cucumbers in the section I don't have plants in yet.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Washington Post article about decreasing lawn space and replacing with shrubs/trees instead. Good for the environment.
I don't have lawn, lots of various areas planted, and mulch or wood chips for the rest. There is a lot of community grass space for baseball fields, soccer fields, recreation. Let the town or county mow/maintain it - not me.

·
Registered
10,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Dreading the garden today due to extreme humidity, but something has to be done. This rain is nuts.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Finally getting the rain in my area after four days of hot and humid weather. We definitely need it but I haven't been in the garden since Saturday, due to the heat. We're supposed to get on and off rain Friday and Saturday. So Sunday will likely be the next time I can get back to my weeding.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
ds has been picking the raspberries..teaching him that it is a daily thing esp when sunny. he eats them all but that is fine. Actually have 2 tomatoes so far! they have grown a lot since the heatwave 4xs or more. put the new miracle grow on them. old coffee bags like tea bags under a bunch of shrubs etc. egg shells etc lots of trimming still

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thanks for the egg shell reminder.

I have gophers or ground squirrels eating the roots off things and grasshoppers rating every thing above the dirt! And the drought is ongoing. Getting a bit biblical out there

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
We got a few strawberries and the peaches are growing. The apple sprig and raspberry sprig are not growing fast. I've used the basil in recipes and wonder what's growing next to it- maybe carrots.....I hope so.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Hot and humid again. Did get some thunderstorms last night, though, but it didn't really do much for getting rid of the heat.

On the other hand, I did get 5 cucumbers from the garden on Sunday. They were large ones. I thought I had picked the small ones (Kirby, I think) but oh well. I do like them on my sandwiches.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Getting radishes and greens... so many greens! An Oracle seems to be taking off and is magenta leaves. That will change up the greens a tiny bit.

I wonder if I can eat pigweed. I am having a hard time staying ahead of it. Starting to think of it as a resource like the lambs quarters that I am now eating daily!

My best sprinkler broke yesterday day so I was staring at the crappy back up one trying to maximize the settings tonight. A tiny hummingbird came and was using the spray to take a shower! So cute. She would get wet in it and then when it passed over, she landed on a big bean leaf and wiped herself down. This went on 20 min. I let her finish before I changed any settings.

·
Registered
10,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
I've had a handful of undersize garlic and onions which got chopped up anyway and used on the beef brisket last weekend. Two cucumbers so far. Several green tomatoes which need more sun to ripen. We've had a lot of rain and clouds, and even our sunny days are cloudy and hazy due to the massive wild fires everywhere.

Picked chard the other night, it's doing well. The patch of lettuce could be picked. The row of lettuce is still 1" high. Most of the beets didn't make it. Peppers and new onions not growing. It's turning into a really lousy year.

·
Registered
10,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Two more cucumbers today. At least two of the 4 plants I put in are doing ok. One looks about dead, not suited for our climate. Got a few cherry tomatoes. Hoping for a dry and hot week so they can set more flowers. Peppers are struggling, need sun and heat too. Garlic is ready to harvest. I pulled some today to have a look, have to get the rest out this week. Might have some carrots soon.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I'm going to need to weed this weekend. I didn't last weekend and we've had a lot of sun and several storms with a lot of rain. I just hope my knee calms down by then. I did a lot of stairs the past few days, due to needing to get recycling and garbage out of the apartment. That's the one downside of living on one of the upper floors of the building. Sigh.

The herbs are going crazy in the community herb plot. To the point where I can walk away with two grocery bags worth of mint each week and still barely keep up with them.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts