Frugal Village Forums banner
101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Not vegetables, but so far this summer I propogated several houseplants successfully. The latest is Chinese Evergreen. Put a bad stem into a pot of houseplant soil. It started w/ 3 leaves and lost the bottom 2. However the top leaf is still there and now it is sprouting a new leaf below that one. I did not have much faith this would work but I'm pleased it did. The original plant flowers every year now, it's a pretty easy houseplant.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've been able to harvest a lot of berries in the past few weeks. We will be able to live on it until the new harvest. I have them frozen, boiled down and dried. There will also be enough apples, pears and nuts so that I won't have to buy fruit over the winter. Before Christmas I will buy oranges and lemons directly from the producer. I do that every year.

There are also very nice herbs this year. It rained a lot. Herbs love that. They hang dry in my attic. I use them for tea, as a spice and as medicine.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Any suggestions for grow lights indoors? Not for vegs but to over-winter some house plants that live outdoors in summer. I don't have enough good window space. Near a window, but pretty dim. I see they make LED full-spectrum bulbs that might work....

·
Registered
10,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
I've used a variety of things from tube grow lamps to aquarium lights (left from DH's fish tanks). Right now I'm pretty happy with the LED daylight strip. The plants would be happier if I had several of them, because you need to cover the entire area.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Gophers have annihilated the last of my potatoes. Sigh. I think I will till up the area (by hand....poor planning on perrenial placement) and put in horseradish. There is a big demand at a local farmers market for home-made horse radish so what the heck. I love it and might as well try it. A stupid gopher ate the one horseradish I had going. Let's see if they can eat a 10' x 25' plot of it!!!

·
Super Moderator
20,056 Posts
DLR, I use full spectrum fluorescent bulbs in most of my AGs. I bought adapters so they can use a standard bulb. That was before LEDs were as affordable as now. LEDs would work fine, too. I have some LED rigs and like them. If the plants will flower and/or bear fruit, they need lots of light. I put either 2 or 3 100 watt bulbs in each AG, depending on how many sockets each needs. 3-bulb rigs are for bigger plants. The bulbs need to be within a few inches of the plants and shining directly on them, although spillover light is beneficial, too.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Bringing some outdoor plants inside. Of course that means spiders too. :cautious: Many of the pots were waterlogged and we will get more rain tomorrow. I put plastic shelf liner down on a couple of windowsills where I will try some of the smaller ones.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The weeds have taken over my plot. Sigh. Then again, we've had a lot of rain (over 10 inches in August alone) due to downpours and periods of sun and heat. Going to get a couple of inches today alone due to the remnants of Hurricane Ida. I meant to get some weeding done the past couple of days since I'm back working in the office. But I haven't been able to get out there. Looks like I'm going to need to get settled in again before I get back to the garden. Then again, right now, it's mostly going to be weeding when I do go. It's going to take far too much work to get any space ready for planting anything for the fall.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I made my first attempt at saving seeds. One of the other gardeners gave me a couple of tomatoes and suggested I try saving the seeds. I think these tomatoes are from seeds he's saved in past years. Fortunately, the internet helped a lot. I would've never known to soak the seeds first to get the stuff around the seeds off first before drying.

Now to try and get a handle on the weeds....

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I pulled the carrots- 6" long and stout. They got steamed and I'm drying the greens to use chopped up for stews and soups. They taste like carrots and smell like parsley.
I'll dry the basil next.
The peaches from our tree were so good and juicy. I hope next year is abundant.

·
Registered
10,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
My garden's a mess right now and I haven't taken any pictures of it recently. Tomatoes are putting out in all sizes and colors, though I still have one mystery tomato that hasn't done anything. Amazingly the cucumber vines aren't dead, still getting about one a week. Hot peppers maturing faster than I can use them despite stunted growth this year, will dry those and make pepper flakes. Bell peppers are slow and small.

Chard grew back after I put ash down around them. I don't know what was eating it, but it got the hint. Volunteer carrots are short and fat, as to be expected in our clay soil. I still have lettuce, but it needs cleaning up if I'm going to get a fall crop.

Herbs and strawberries looking good despite the weeds. I should dry another tray of oregano.

The entire back yard and garden need an aggressive clean up this fall.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Got some more weeding done on my plot. Enough to show that I'm still there and am working on it. A little bit each time. I'm still back into the old "in the office" routine but I'm also taking care to not aggravate my knee. I should have most of the weeds pulled by the end of season.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think I got about a pound of Peruana beans., like a black bean but yellow. Planted from a bag of beans I bought on vacation. And one big pumpkin if nothing eats it before it ripens

·
Registered
475 Posts
well, actually...if I suck it up and HARVEST and dry stuff this week, the garden will start paying off...or being less of a $$ sink.

Herbs I have that I COULD dry and use all winter:
Tarragon, 2 types of sage, lovage leaves (like celery) and seeds, dill weed and seed, cilantro seeds (isn't that coriander? I will have to check), sorel leaves...last of the season but should work as a sour flavor even dried, basil, wormwood (what do you do with that?), stinky chamomile (a wild version...stinky indeed but still a good healthful tea)
Thyme, 2 or 3 types of mint that I will probably just mix together.

Seeds to eat and/or save to plant: Cilantro, dill, camelina (a few left!), cosmos (one plant has white flowers with a pink edge so I'm trying to keep those separate from the plain ones), radish,

Stuff left to harvest: corn (probably just enough to plant), 3 or 4 pumpkins, 2 random hybrid squash that seem to be winter type, 2 zucchini type that I'm letting go until I can hopefully get the seeds.
Lovage stems and leaves, good king henry leaves, sorrel leaves, dame's rocket, mother wort, mint, mixed beans from a bag of mixed bean soup a thrift store gave away last year...they are just maturing so I don't know if they will get ripe enough to dry and save. The last few leaves of orach that the deer haven't eaten. Maybe some buckwheat! if I can figure out how to sort the grain from the flowers and chaff. a couple of carrots. A garlic or two that I missed under some greens.

·
Registered
10,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
We had a good rain last night and a nice cool morning. I got in and started grabbing weeds by the handful. Then I went at certain areas with the clippers.

Before and After tomato bed:
Plant Green Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Land lot

Doesn't look like much but you can see the ground/straw and there's a big debris pile on the right.

Strawberry bed/path, same area from slightly different angles:
Plant Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Grass Groundcover

The white leaves are one of my not-dead-yet cucumbers.

Rewards of my efforts:

Food Plum tomato Tableware Ingredient Plant

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Slowly taking out the weeds. I know I need to get out to the plot more often than I am. I do get in once a week and I'm slowly, ever so slowly, getting a handle on the weeds.

One of the other gardeners gave me some beans for next year. I'm going to try them to see if I can grow them. I have them and some tomato seeds I saved. That will be a good experiment for next year. I'll plant the started plants in one section of my plot and the seeds on another.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts