Frugal Village Forums banner
121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I've been drying the basil- pluck and throw in a bowl and let it sit several days until crumbly. More basil is still growing despite the 50 degree temps... The walnut tree has gotten much fuller with many leaves and is 4 ft tall now. The blackberry bush looks like it never rooted. The apple tree sprig has leaves but still a sprig. The other apple tree hasn't produced but is getting taller.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Looks like my plot is mostly weeded. I do have some more to do, mostly around the strawberry plants but the majority of it's done. I'm not clearing all the way back to bare earth to protect it from rain and the like. But enough so that the critters can't hide in the weeds. Although I did get a cut on one of my fingers from one of the weeds, similar to a paper cut. That's what I get for not using my gardening gloves. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I am ignoring the morning glory weekly invasion.. wish other things grew that well! got the rest of the tomatoes big and small off. the cherry ones are ripening inside fast and yummy. still have to pick all the apples off the tree too and make applesauce.

·
Registered
509 Posts
hard freeze last night...down to 26F. Still have some good king henry greens that might be edible. FORGOT the 3 green tomatoes (that would be my entire tomato crop...was given a free tomato plant...I knew it would just get my hopes up). Maybe they can be fried or put in soup. Or thrown to the chickens. Hopefully the herbs I'd put off harvesting are ok.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
MaggieTru - wow. We haven't gotten much past ~50*F (usually in the mid-50s to 60s). Hope you were able to save the tomatoes.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Maggie, if you have enough of them, the green tomatoes can be made into pickle relish just like you'd do with cucumbers. I did that one year we had an early freeze.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Pickle relish sounds like a good idea for tomatoes.

Does anyone here make medicinal tinctures? I got some trumpet flower seeds and wondered about doing a tincture when the flowers are grown. Or when the walnut tree produces, the green balls can be turned into tinctures. People bought the green balls from me to make that.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
This is the garden as of yesterday morning. You can see where I have made progress with the weeding. Most of the growth in the foreground is tomato vines that are still producing. They are volunteers, which is why they are in the way.

Plant Plant community Flowerpot Vegetation Land lot

If you look in the lower right half of the picture you'll see lots of little red dots, which are tomatoes. The red patch near the upper left is last year's chard which is still producing.

Reactions: renmerc446

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Pretty much got the garden weeded, at least hopefully enough for the winter. I do have some more to do around the edges but everything else is low enough to just be ground cover. And the critters can't hide in what remains. I'll probably go back again and get the edge stuff pulled in the next week or so.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts