Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A place to challenge and motivate ourselves and each other to improve our health and fitness.
My personal challenge is to eat healthier by increasing plant based foods, minimizing meats and dairy , and eliminating junk foods and processed foods for the next 21 days. My cholesterol is high, I have a sweet tooth, I drink too much diet coke and not enough water. I will detox from diet coke slowly over the next 21 days as I know what happens when I try to go cold turkey.
What are your health and fitness goals? Here is a place to document your struggles and progress.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Watched a documentary - Forks over Knives. What an eye opener. I start most days off with a smoothie which appeals to my sweet tooth and is filled with healthy ingredients. I also have 2 eggs and toast. On the way to work a large Diet Coke. My portion sizes and intake gets worse as the day goes on - meat,noodles,chocolate,ice cream, chips. My energy levels plummet and I’m setting myself up for heart disease, diabetes and cancers. My challenge is to plan my meals around salads and meatless soups and dishes that consist of plant based and real foods.
Please join me with your personal fitness or nutritional challenge to become a healthier you. Commit yourself for the next 7, 14, 21 or 28 days to a healthy habit.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
That sounds like a good plan for you. I am not a fan of salads in the winter, but I'm trying to do 1 meatless meal a week using more vegetables, usually a soup. I plan to grow my own greens and get back to more salads once it warms up. Right now I am limited by covid to shopping less often, which means frozen vegs (not a great variety) and root vegs that last in the fridge (carrots, onions, brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes). We don't drink soda and I quit buying chips because DH has no self control with them.

We walk at least once a week. DH always has an excuse to not go to the gym even though he insisted on the family membership. I have not been since halloween because I aggravated a shoulder injury. I've been in physical therapy since early December, but I've been told I can go back if I take it easy. I went last week only to find class had been cancelled, so here's hoping this week the teacher is there.

Reactions: marthamfi and KimB

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CH - By salads I mean more then leafy greens with some toppings. I'm thinking broccoli/cauliflower/ potato/cucumber /pasta salads . I'll miss the bacon and cheese in them. Good luck at the gym, what kind of class are you signed up for?

Making a vegetable soup for lunch, carrots, potatoes, onions, and frozen mixed vegies, v8 juice, chicken broth, herbs and seasonings to taste. I'll forgo the beef for my challenge. Heading out for another hike with dh, dd and grandson after early lunch. Plan to be back to watch most of the Packer game. Also packed sliced cucumbers and carrot sticks for hiking snack. Grandson -5- loves raw fruits and vegetables of all kinds. I like raw vegies as long as I have ranch dressing to dip them in which minimizes the healthiness.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Kim, I put everything and anything into a salad, though we don't do pasta or potato too often due to carbs. I love dark greens like spinach and chard, and will put cabbage in with the lettuce for a heartier bite. I did a nicoise salad with green beans, radishes, eggs, olives, etc a couple weeks ago on a warmer night. There's a broccoli kale salad we like, too. In the spring I'll make asparagus and tomato salad with fresh vegetables.

I have been doing yoga for several years but since COVID restrictions went into place that program stopped, and I've been taking the Silver Sneakers chair fitness cardio class. We don't spend much time in the chair, but it's there for those who need it. My teacher is a cancer survivor and she has so much positive energy.

Reactions: marthamfi and KimB

·
Registered
292 Posts
glad to see this thread! SO FAR i've kept the "covid15" off but am slipping. I have a resolution to do 10 strength moves (minimum) and 10 yoga moves (minimum) every day in 2021. So far, so good. But my meals are off kilter and my sodium levels, which I need to watch, are getting to high again. Puffy ankles and puffy eyes and bloat. It also for some reason makes me feel like snacking so end up gaining weight.

Kim: I love that movie! Saw it ages ago and it was very motivating. I'm eating lean meats and fresh eggs from my own or my friend's chickens alternating with lentils (cook faster than beans) and some beans. More fresh is better. Do you grow sprouts from seeds like radish and clover? They are cheap-ish and nice and crunchy. Good in salads and on sandwiches or lettuce wraps.

Martha: I love the "silver sneakers" title. made me think of those pictures of the god, Mercury?, who is the mascot for flower delivery.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My daily goal is 30 squats and upper body stretching at a minimum which I’ve kept up with. And hiking challenge took 5 year old grandson today. Beautiful snow covered walk.
I don’t have garden or grow anything but maybe this year. I also need to watch my sodium as I have the same puffy body parts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
that was ch not me! but think just grey and sneakers is probably the story behind the name though I like the mercury one better. We need to do better too ..so got the chicken salad at wendys for dinner lol Should go back to the senior exercise classes too. at least walking on my job helps. PT is exercise at least. someone posted this youtube channel of easy exercises. https://www.youtube.com/c/ImprovedH...tq2_op1VAgSwLcsLSUSYtCBfVuFtLzki20zTs5KcHEMuU

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Silver Sneakers is a health and fitness program offered for seniors (over 65) at many locations. They have certified trainers that teach core classes. You may be able to participate if you have medicare or a participating insurance plan. My community center covers the program costs and offers it free to all members. I have found it to be a good low-impact way to ease into exercise. I did the chair fitness class (very similar to your video, M) after my foot surgeries, and we did sit in the chair the whole time for that one. I am definitely the youngest person in the class, lol! The cardio class is quite a lot of movement, really gets the heart pumping. I don't know if the program is offered north of the border, but probably you have something similar.

Reactions: KimB

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did well yesterday increasing vegies and fruit and meatless meals Did share a candy bar with grandson after we ate up the carrots and cucumbers we brought for snacks for our hiking. Made pumpkin oatmeal bars.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I walk the dog about 2 hours daily over 3 outings. It is not fast, I let him sniff a lot. But I am on my feet and moving. I think that is the biggest factor in my luck staying healthy so far. I do like exercise classes a lot and will do some Silver Sneakers online as soon as life settles down (in the process of clearing and selling parents' house.) My meals are rather light with snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon. I usually don't eat anything 7 pm-7 am. Recently my stomach rebelled because I was apparently drinking too much coffee. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice job with workouts drlcpa and Maggie and CH. Here’s my hike for the day and pic. We were happy to find new trail in a nature reserve we’ve ventured in before. Going to pick up a bagged salad from Aldis they have few flavors. The southwestern one I like. Will last me a couple meals. Also cauliflower on sale I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another meat free day. Did have cheese in my augratin cauliflower. Salad for lunch. On my feet most of 9 hour work day. Playing cribbage with dh, we play almost daily. He is ahead 40 to my 20 wins. Time to get out the scrabble which is my game.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Avoided meat. Dd understanding when I declined the meat portion of the meal she made for us for supper. Salad and the last of the vegie soup brought to work for lunch. Got a work out dancing with the grandsons during their visit tonight. They wear me out after a couple hours, especially after a day at work. But wouldn't give it up. They bring me joy.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Did an hour of cardio at the gym yesterday and was a little stiff this morning, but it worked itself out. Did not do weights on advice of my PT.

I'm an omnivore, but I enjoy Amy's vegetarian products. Their microwavable burritos and entrees are very nice, both in terms of flavor and calories. Have you tried any?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CH if I run into Amy products on sale some day I will try, I have not tried them. Good work out, don't do too much too fast.
My hips are hurting from walking 3 miles after work in the cold.
The cheesy tator tot egg bake with mushrooms was sooo good. I had a southwest salad also. I splurged at lunch and bought a salmon pannini with spinach and salsa . I'm definately not cutting down on calories with this challenge but one step at a time cutting out red meat.
I hope you all are staying healthy

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Yeah, they are a bit spendy and don't go on sale often. They are a nice treat, though. Rather get one of their meals than a bag of chips.

Reactions: KimB
1 - 20 of 42 Posts