Frugal Village Forums banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Maggie- You are so adventurous with that snow and cold temp. Good for you to do that- I wouldn't attempt it!

Kim- Being down a few is great! Better than the alternative.

Rabbit- Ah, cookies! I ordered 6 boxes from the Girl Scouts as DS2 wanted some and I know DH loves the do-si-dos. That Scout will dress up as cookie monster and dance and deliver. Gotta support the Scouts. I will plan on NOT eating any of them. That's the plan..........

I'm trying to do what needs to be done here and eat better and exercise 6x/wk at the gym and jump on my bike at night in addition. Let me tell ya, it's been difficult at best to keep my bloodwork good. The MD was very angry last month and I've been working hard to be on top of things.. Pretty much, almost every hour. It's tiring. I've tried every drug so far and only one more thing to try, although I'm not really wanting to do it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Been slipping in my healthier eating. Snacking on junk food but have been incorporating more vegetables into our meals. Weight stable with the daily walking we do either at work or outside.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Finally activated my free Silver Sneakers account. There are lots of on-demand workout videos and also live video workouts scheduled daily. Going to start with something easy (yoga/balance) and sample various types.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Took the "classic" live class, rated as beginner and pace was easy but touched a lot of body areas in the time given. Used stretchy band and light weights. Going to try Zumba tomorrow morning. Never done it before so try it out.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Zumba has potential. 8:30 AM was really too early for me and I did not care for the music she chose. They have some other options to try. Not planning for every day but 4-5 days/week would be great. Chair yoga today. I know I am tight and stiff. My right shoulder is sore from falling on the ice back during winter. Loosening that up would be great.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Took the "classic" class again yesterday and liked it. Chair yoga was a little tame but all definitely helps. Today is circuit training for strength. Got bone density test results this morning and I really need to work on diet/vitamins/supplements.

·
Registered
10,088 Posts
The chair yoga is a good warm up, or starter class if you're really out of shape. That's what I did after my surgeries. I need to get back to my cardio class. Too many recent Dr and vet visits conflicting with the schedule.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Did 5 SS workouts this week. All different. Settling on some of the ones I really like and a few new ones to try. They have one that is like Tai Chi. They have one that is dance-based. Definitely working & stretching the shoulder that got injured. They do a lot of balance exercises as well.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Did 3 SS classes this week, another one today and one tomorrow. Don't like the Tai Chi. I also worked on the yard twice in the mornings. Got the community center fall catalog and looked at the exercise classes and feel really lucky I can do all these free ones instead.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm trying a new medical device and hope it helps my labs. I was scared of it as it's just a machine that dishes out medication and I felt too much was being given to me. So I called the coach and we adjusted it...We'll see how it goes but if I think it's too much, I can override the system. I like that feature but have to see if the adjustments are better now.

·
Super Moderator
2,106 Posts
I have finally managed to lose some weight. High of 172, about 6 years ago, gradually been coming down with a lot of plateaus. Down to about 152 now. I have days when I don't have much appetite (hot days) and I take advantage of it. I try to eat small meals. Cutting out meat almost entirely. Main meal at noon, through eating by 5PM. I try to eat a salad of raw vegetables every day as part of my main meal, and eat some raw fruit everyday.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
New month!

I have been doing WW online for about 2 months now, down about 15lbs, LOTS more to go... In the past I liked using ***********, which was free, but they are closing and reopening in some other form this month, and I needed a change... I got in on WW's summer sale, something like buy 4 months get 3 free... anyway, bottom line is that I get the summer free, then pay $20-something a month until January, but if I cancel at any time, I owe them the whole 4 months PLUS registration fees at once... so that's a powerful reason to stick with it!

This month I want to commit to making things a bit more organized and regular. I have been pushing HARD for 2 months, and I want to settle it down into something more sustainable this month. Instead of walking 3 miles one day and being exhausted for the next 2 days, doing 2 miles each day for 3 days, that sort of thing. The nutrition side is a little harder-- I tend to be all-or-nothing, and it's not practical. My goal this month is 5lbs, so I need to convince myself that it is ok to use more of my points allowance during the week and not hoard it all week and then blow it all on the weekends (I think that is making my blood sugar crazy on the weekends, so I need to spread things out more...)

My Goals:
  • Lose 5 lbs by August 31st
  • Meet my USDA Macro-micro needs DAILY (*********** is closing 17 August, so I need to find a new app to use for this)
  • 5 exercise sessions per week (walking 2 miles or a water aerobics class)
  • Track EVERYTHING, even the weekends!
  • Use all of my WW daily allowance, no roll-overs (this one is flexible and will be the hardest.)

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Losing weight is definitely hard work.
I am checking on other calcium supplements. The tums-type has 300 mg per tablet. Recommend 1200 mg/day for older females. Multivitamin has 300 mg. I like yogurt but not every day.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Viactiv makes calcium chews that taste like caramels or tootsie rolls, and there are probably generic versions, too. We have those for the kids when they aren't eating right (which is most of the time) they taste pretty good. I usually just go with plain oyster-shell calcium pills when the need arises... WARNING, do not take them with carbonated beverages... the burps are horrendous!!! :)

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Thanks Z. When I finish the current bottle of tums I may switch to something like Citracal+ (generic version). Just fewer pills daily. Right now taking 2-3 tums, Vitamin D, and women's 50+ multi. Chews and gummies are usually pricey though more pleasant. Sis-in-law now has osteoporosis and has to get shots.
Did 3 SS classes last week and 2 so far this week, another one tomorrow. 3 or more per week is the goal.

·
Super Moderator
20,056 Posts
I've been back on WW for a few weeks now, just gradually easing back into it. WW challenged me to track one meal a day this week. I misunderstood that and have been tracking everything, so that's a plus. I'm continuing that. I'm working toward 2000 Rewards so I can get a free cookbook. 225 to go.

I haven't started excercising yet, but I'm anticipating rejoining #Walk15 on Twitter before long. Surely I can make myself walk a measley 15 minutes a day. Someday. Our treadmill is feelingvso lonely.

So far I'm down 13.4 lbs, so I know it's a real loss, not salt or normal fluctuation. I've moved down at least 1 size. My knees and back are doing much, much better already. Can't wait to lose a couple more sizes.

I bought 3 new WW cookbooks for inspiration, and that helps. I get in trouble when my food gets boring.

I set myself up for success by buying a variety pack of chips, splitting up a big bag of cheesy poofs into 2 point servings, dividing a box of cheese crackers into 1 point servings, and making another double batch of WW hot pretzels, 3 points/serving. That gives me a nice variety of points for when I just need a little bit of junk food. I can't be trusted to limit myself with a big bag of snacks, but generally do fine with a small preportioned amount.

So far, so good.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Greetings from the plateau!!! Ok place to visit, but don't wanna live here!

<sigh> I knew it would happen eventually, and since I am EXACTLY 2 months in today, it's definitely "due." I had caloric deficits EVERY day this week, so I know it's just my body being stubborn... but clearly I didn't start the "eating a bit more" thing soon enough... funny thing to worry about on a diet, no?

So today for lunch I had a big ol' slice of pizza, which combined with everything else will put me 2 points into my weekly allowance (that rolls over on Sunday)-- except that I had leftover dailies so still not "really" into the weekly budget. But even with going into weeklies and adding in a "free" zero-point banana, I still will barely break 1200 calories...

I've planned out my menu for the weekend which gives me all my micros and macros and gives me around 1650 calories Saturday and 1500 on Sunday... so still a caloric deficit, but blowing a massive hole in my points (with plenty of room to add zero-point veggies if I'm somehow hungry...) and without anything really sugary to set off cravings later on. We are also planning a 5k walk tomorrow in a little historic town about an hour from here.

Goals for next week:
Use up all of my daily points/ at least 1200 calories every day until the plateau breaks
Exercise 5 days

Spirit Deer, what color plan are you on? I'm on green...

·
Super Moderator
20,056 Posts
I'm doing blue. It's worked for me in the past. I try to avoid using weeklies but I'm not exercising yet.

Be sure to watch the zero points foods. We don't have to track them, but they still have calories. I've found eating too much fruit can keep me from losing, so I limit myself to 2 servings per day unless I'm extremely hungry. If I'm hungry, I know I'm eating wrong and making my blood sugar spike.

·
Registered
10,088 Posts
I was looking at WW to see what their plans are like and if there are any recipes I'd like. Love this question from the assessment:

When are you most likely to get off track?

When I’m tired
When I’m bored
When I’m stressed
When I’m celebrating
When it’s the weekend

There needs to be an "All of the Above" option for me.....

Reactions: Zhoen
41 - 60 of 96 Posts