Frugal Village Forums banner
101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Zhoen- I like your mealtime choices for everyone and it sounds like a good variety. Does DD14 eat tuna? I looked up a Ploughman's lunch. Looks a bit like sandwich fixings.
This week, we'll have:
  • Baked ham and baked potatoes
  • Scalloped potatoes & Ham
  • Chicken soup and crackers
  • Deli sandwiches

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Rujerro-- unfortunately she is not doing tuna at the moment.

Yes, a ploughman's lunch is kind of pub food based on what kind of food a farmer might shove in his bag in the morning before heading out for the day... chunk of bread, chunk of cheese, an apple (or onion) and traditionally chutney, though she doesn't like that and we do jam instead. The idea was it would hold at room temperature until lunch time, and then he could eat it all separate or slop it together into a weird sandwich. If you ever go to the Harry Potter lands at Universal Studios, they have a pub there that actually does a really good version.

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Mid Sept, expecting cooler weather this week.

-- baked chicken, cauliflower, spanikopita
-- dinner out (mexican)
-- mac&cheese, broccoli slaw
-- chili
-- fish, french fries
-- corned beef sandwiches, slaw
-- chicken, veg?

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
like Zhoen have meal ideas but who knows what happens lol at least the weather is cooler so oven can be turned on.
bought sushi/chinese food for dinner mon and chinese for ds bday last night. frozen chicken strips and fries thursday. defrosted chili wed ..over tortilla chips.

meal ideas cus need to use up veggies.. esp eggplant but not sure yet. ds found the frozen sausage rounds so is cooking them so one cat is skipping his routine to nag for a bit of it. but now dh isn't feeling great so hopefully he didn't bring home a cold from school. told him to cut up onions if he wants the soup.

meal ideas..
french onion soup or potato leek
make batch of spaghetti sauce in crockpot - w frozen fresh pasta or tortellini
smoked pork chops box mac/cheese baked zucchini
smokies/baked beans
frozen pizza
frozen pork schnitzel w sides
frozen asian dumplings w/ frozen spring rolls.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Ah... here we are again... This week I have a BIT more insight into schedules, at least through Thursday... but after that , no idea, so I've tried to stick to stuff that they can make without me, if necessary. DD17 has started a new school schedule that means she only goes every second day and is home by lunchtime, so that makes life MUCH easier! DD14, on the other hand... :rolleyes: I have made a list of things that are vegetarian and pack well, and she can pick from that list as we go. If it's something that requires special ingredients, she'll have to ask 24 hours in advance. The end. 😜

Mon20- Chicken stir-fry and potstickers
Tues21-Sloppy Joes
Wed22-Spaghetti w/meatballs
Thurs23- Bean burritos
Fri24- Baked Chicken
Sat25- Quesadillas
Sun26- Pancakes

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
End of September already. Will be doing some shopping this week to refill the veggie drawers.

-- bacon wrapped beef tenders, baked potatoes, stuffed mushrooms
-- pulled pork sandwiches, sweet potato fries
-- chicken lettuce cups
-- beef barley soup
-- baked fish, peas
-- wings, veg?
-- turkey tacos

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
well the french onion soup and spaghetti sauce got made so really just rotating stuff in and out of the freezer. froze extras. was smokies, squash and frozen mac n cheese tues, pasta thursday. mcd wed and help yourselves friday.

tonight got dh to bbq a pork loin for tomorrow, hotdogs and 2 burger patties so couple things out of the freezer. plus found a sm can of baked beans.
suppose to rain most of the week so easy cooking but will have to get inspired.

options potato leek soup
asian dumplings/rolls
the bbq pork loin w sides
cabbage steaks? fast way to use up cabbage.

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
@marthamfi cabbage is so versatile. It can go in soup, stir fry, or become salad or cole slaw.

Reactions: rujerro

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Say it with me, boys and girls... STILL no solid plan for when my clinical rotations will be... so the plan continues to be fluid... I am currently drowning in cucumbers, apples, and squash (not complaining) as well as having some stuff in the fridge to use up... so I have revised my plan a little and here is what I am projecting for this week.

Sunday- Pancakes, eggs, bacon and sausage
Monday- BBQ chicken, sour cream cucumbers
Tuesday- Enchilada casserole with squash fritters
Wednesday- Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes
Thursday- Beef stroganoff, egg noodles
Friday- Cheese tortellini w/ red sauce
Saturday- street tacos

Alas, there are things I need to pick up today to make some of this happen, and I SO don't want to go to the store yet again. (Boohoo, first world problems...)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
And I'm already editing... :rolleyes:

We did not do breakfast-for-dinner tonight... I went to check on my mother and pick up DD14 from work, then came home and found H and DD17 looking pathetic because they are giant babies who cannot scramble their own eggs... so that will become breakfast-for-breakfast tomorrow, DD17 had a can of minnestrone, and I have no idea what H ended up doing. Meanwhile, I have just been eating sliced cucumbers because they are yummy and I have too many of them...

Reactions: rujerro

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Playing it by ear this week. We don't have cool fall weather worthy of hearty dishes, and it's not summer and we're tired of salad.

For vegetables we have: zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, chard, cabbage, cucumber, tomatoes, carrots, celery, green beans and some chopped lettuce mix.

Proteins include: chicken, fish, ground pork, ground lamb, hot dogs, and cubed steak. There's also ravioli.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Lovely produce at the farm store today: zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, okra, sweet potatoes and 2 varieties of apples. I don't mind paying a bit more when it does not look all beat up. Disappointed to learn they close for the winter right before Thanksgiving. Ratatouille and gumbo are planned. I guess I should freeze the leftover turkey soup with those things in the queue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since getting a second job, it's been hard to find the time to cook. I did make a list of everything in our fridge freezer and chest freezer, which have been very useful. I also made a list of meals I can make use what we have (or maybe buying a couple of things. Today, I'm making turkey casserole for the first time in a long time. The intention was to use up the leftover turkey in the freezer from Christmas dinner, but it only used up half. That's good, though. I can get another meal out of the rest.
I also made in the past few weeks:

Spaghetti with meat sauce
Red beans with sweet potatoes
Sausage and cabbage stew
Hamburgers (and can make more)
Beef Enchilada casserole
Pasta with Italian sausage and mozzerella cheese
Meatloaf and mashed potatoes
Coconut flapjacks (which I found in a Mark Bittman cookbook)
Mediterranean club sandwich (same cookbook, but it was a flop for this challenge, as I ended up buying more ingredients than I used up)
BLTs
Tuna Sandwiches

Although on the really busy days, I caved in and got pizza or had food delivered. I need to work on being better organized. And not to be lazy when I have off work.

I like seeing what everyone cooks. So many good ideas!

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Middle of October and still mostly nice weather:

-- potluck (cheese and crackers)
-- smoked ribs, butternut squash
-- fish burgers, lettuce, tomato
-- soup, or mac&cheese
-- beef stir fry, egg rolls
-- HM pizza
-- ?? out?
-- HM waffles and sausage for breakfast one morning

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Ok, first, a review/confession... what I had PLANNED: (This was a week ago, last week I didn't even have time to post...)

Sunday- Pancakes, eggs, bacon and sausage
Monday- BBQ chicken, sour cream cucumbers
Tuesday- Enchilada casserole with squash fritters
Wednesday- Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes
Thursday- Beef stroganoff, egg noodles
Friday- Cheese tortellini w/ red sauce
Saturday- street tacos
So most of those strikethroughs weren't replaced with other "real" food... mostly people grabbed something canned or frozen or drive through, or else or weren't hungry, or... then last week, of the things on the menu, we cooked 1 of 5 things listed, went out to dinner for H's birthday as planned, and then yesterday we were supposed to order subs, but only H did it, go figure...

So yeah... batting about 0.100 right now... The reason? I have been crazy-stupid-busy, and "the others" can't be bothered to actually cook-- put a box in a microwave yes... open a box and add things, no. Start with scratch and a recipe?--Only if it's a dessert or something that gets them big attention (like at a holiday meal, for example...) So I am beyond frustrated... but it's been a rough week all around, so I have zero "figs" to give...

Tonight: Vegetable beef soup made with leftover pot roast, leftover veggies from the restaurant, tomatoes from the freezer, squash and egglant that were languishing in the drawer, and some frozen peas and green beans to round it out. DD14 will probably want drive-through after work tonight, so I made a portion for her without meat that will go in her lunchbox tomorrow if she doesn't want it tonight. And, in addition to "testing" far too much as I have been cooking, I also have a portion set aside for me from before the meat and barley were added. Might add french bread from the freezer... might not...

Monday- Chili with ground turkey, using some salsa from the freezer, maybe even some cornbread...
Tuesday- cabbage rolls using up leftover spaghetti sauce (and this will be my lunch for days after, since the others will whine about eating it fresh, let alone as leftovers...)
Wednesday- tamale casserole using leftover pork from the freezer, leftover chili, and leftover corn tortillas
Thursday- Out for DD's 18th birthday-- she wants Carrabba's
Friday- pulled pork from the freezer, just add buns/bread and bbq sauce
Saturday- Egg roll boll with more of the cabbage
Sunday- pastitsio

Tuesday and Wednesday are long days at school, so I will probably pre-make everything tomorrow, then it can just get heated up. As I said, they can handle "put the tray in the microwave."

I am also going to try out the potato-leek quiche recipe from the Chop'd thread for lunches, and potato-apple latkes for breakfast and probably some more squash fritters because I still have a bunch in the drawer (and the freezer's full.)

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Ground beef on sale this week, so meatloaf for supper and to freezer. Also chili to freeze. Frozen fish entrees (Sea Cuisine) on sale and coupon. Mac & cheese on the side. I have a frozen ham bone, can make veg soup in the crock pot, need mixed frozen vegs. I'll keep looking for a big roaster chicken marked-down.

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Cooler next week, shifting some foods we didn't eat:

-- short ribs, carrots, spinach
-- grilled chicken, corn salad
-- pork roast, butternut
-- stir fried beef, cauliflower rice, spring rolls
-- lemon chicken, noodles
-- beef lumpia, cream corn soup
-- take out?

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have company and our plans are very fluid atm. Tonight is hm pizza with garlic toast. Tomorrow is Hubby’s and my anniversary. Company is insisting on paying for a restaurant meal to be ordered in for us. After that I have no idea where we’ll be or what we’ll be doing, so I think it will be a plan as you go week. Company leaves the end of October.

101 - 120 of 142 Posts