Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some are building their stash, some are reducing their stash and others like mindful rotation. I normally manage to hit all three of these sometime during the year. lol Currently I'm working on building my pantry at a slow pace as money, time and sales allow.

Freezer used:
ham

pantry used:
2 pints mac and cheese
1 half pint ground beef
5 potatoes

freezer added:
1 pkg bacon ends

pantry added:
nothing yet

Bought to can:
10 packages of cream cheese
3 pounds of Great Northern beans for bean soup.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Freezer added
1 turkey

Pantry added
5 quarts of hm bean soup - If they all seal

freezer/Pantry used:
nothing

Stockpile added:
4 pkgs of AirBourne
10 tubes of chapstick

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Thawing- bag of chicken, roast beef

I'm trying to use up pantry and frozen items. I purchased alot so i need to use some now before it expires.

·
Registered
10,067 Posts
My current short-list, mostly half used packages or small servings:

tomato sauce
beef empanada filling
wonton wraps
bamboo shoots
french bread
tortellini
empanada wraps
breakfast sausages
sandwich rolls
cookie dough
pita bread
baked potatoes
chicken broth
pulled pork
broccoli
bacon ends
cheap steak
cranberries
corn
peas
cherries
bao buns
ramen noodles
ham and bean soup
chowder
chili
thai beef stock
beef barley soup
chicken pot pie filling
chicken lettuce cup filling
taco filling
country style hash browns
beef bbq
ham slices
soup/gravy ??

I know that is a long list, and some of it obviously matches up like the chicken broth and tortellini, pulled pork and buns, hash browns and breakfast sausage....some items like the steak and bacon ends have uses that involve more ingredients I don't have, and some like the tomato sauce and chowder are small portions. And there's a tub of brown liquid I didn't label and can't remember now... My plan is to incorporate 3 items per week into the regular menu. (This week we are using chili, chicken lettuce cup filling, ham slices, and the beef bbq. Next week the pot pie filling and barley soup)

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am doing a pantry challenge for as long as possible with some fresh veg every 2 weeks if I really feel I need it. So far I've spent 20$: 6$ for fresh veg (based entirely on cost per lb...carrots, onions and cabbage averaging 46cents/lb) and 4 cans of tomatoes at 45cents a can. 14$ to get coffee and oil to last 2 months or more.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Freezer added/used:
nothing

Pantry used:
1/2 gallon of ham broth - used that yesterday when I canned the ham n bean soup

pantry added:
8 pints of cream cheese

·
Registered
466 Posts
Making my way through my food stock!! I got gift certificates for the local artisan bread guy so to day I used some for a loaf of multigrain bread and a.m huckleberry scone as big as my head. I sliced up the bread and put 1/2 in the freezer at work for toast next week. Aye some for lunch... with the scone... and brought 4 slices home for the weekend. From the pantry I had jello made from plain gelatins powder and blueberries I preserved in vinegar, lentils cooked with garlic, and a bit of sauerkraut. Tomorrow is more blueberry gelatin and then a casserole of duck with brown rice, dry mushrooms, garlic and carrots with whatever spices I have left around. I've eaten up all my fish so need to go get a fishing license to restock. A hen or two have been laying so my protein supply is ok for a while. I am trying to be sure and eat up the berries. Still have 6 or 7 quarts. Might open a jar of jam this weekend to go with the good bread and then into rice for a pudding

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
ch looks like lots of the things go together well..not that organized tracking stuff as you guys and lots of things go in and out fast. like the pudding cups I bought 12 pack half gone that night , got bread milk etc.
did stock up this week on the bogo hotdogs so 5 packs for freezer bogo sm sour cream
2 jars of catelli spaghetti sauce bogo, bogo canned tomatoes 2
a box holiday rice krispies marked down and 3 boxes of xmas rice krispies 8pk, marked down.
4 12 pk candy canes, 2 xmas smarties for next year.
box peppermint tea
2 sale boxs of store brand eggos..still here cus kids don't know about them.
bogo 2 bags frozen french fries flavoured
bogo leclerc cookies..though we still have the girl guide ones
1/2 price glenfiddich mince meat pies
a frozen mac n cheese
2 packs of flavoured ramen

did make up the old jello sonic ocean water flavour
sm container of whipping cream
frozen seafood lasagna
head of romaine etc caesar salad
container of sour cream
container of frozen homemade chili
bag of tortilla chips
bag of shredded cheese
2 avocados
potatoes , frozen kale
pack of hotdogs
nutella
cheese
box of cereal

bread, old lunchmeat, old cat snacks I found they don't like to the crows.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'll be thawing items from the freezer as DH and DS2 complaining there is too much in there...Bread does take up lots of space....This week, I'll be thawing:
2 loaves bread
2 packs ribs
5 lb chicken
cranberries
onion rings
french fries

I have to start using the stockpile from the Fall. I'll donate some and use the rest. Canned sauces, flour, sugar, pumpkin, evap milk, slim jims and cereals will be used this week. I'll just need fresh milk and fruit.

·
Registered
10,067 Posts
Mystery brown liquid turns out to be chicken/turkey broth from thanksgiving. Added chicken tortilla soup and potato soup to my list.

This week we used some chili, the beef bbq, chicken lettuce cup filling, and some of the ham slices. Tonight I'm thawing the beef broth and using the ramen to make noodle bowls. Tomorrow chicken pot pie, and later this week the barley soup.

·
Registered
466 Posts
RU and CH, that's all sounds great! I had eggs and bread for breakfast. Lunch is veggie soup with aging lentils and spices. Pretty good. More gelatin with blueberries because the gelatin is like 2 years old. Still works tho p

·
Registered
466 Posts
Making duck and rice with pantry supplies and a couple of fresh carrots. Breakfast was a blueberry pancake with buckwheat honey. The only fresh thing was an egg. Using up the old coffee abandoned at the office and opened a tin of tea with 'best by march 2021' on it. Time to drink that up too.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I'm using last package of gr beef from the freezer for meatloaf & maybe shepherd's pie later this week. 5-6 packages of chicken in the freezer to be used. I bought Bob's 10-grain cereal when I had the gift cert to the organic food store. I tried it last week with raisins for breakfast and liked it well enough. Did not like it in bread recipe at all - like sawdust. Hot cereal can be doctored with cinnamon or maple or dried fruit, so that's the plan.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Freezer used:
nothing

Freezer added:
3 containers of lo sauerkraut

Pantry Added:
7 quarts of turkey meat
80 roll of toilet paper
2 containers of chicken bouillon

Pantry used:
2 pints of mac and cheese
1/2 pint ground beef

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Freezer used:
1 pkg hamburger
1 okg bacon

Freezer added:
3 pks smoked pork shanks - bought 50% off

Pantry added:
54# of rice
50# of pint beans
3 containers of electrolytes

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Freezer used:
1 pkg hamburger

Freezer added:
nothing

Pantry Used:
1/2 gallon of tomato juice

Pantry added:
20# kidney beans

·
Registered
466 Posts
almost used up the flour! Which is good because it was getting oldish. Working my way through the berries stored in vinegar and have enough blackberry vinegar now so make some mustard with the mustard seed stock. I do love my mustard! Today I had rice pudding fritata things for breakfast that were pretty good. And entirely from pantry stock. Lunch was green chili lentil stew entirely from pantry stock. Used up the green lentils. I got onions at 2nd harvest so I've been roasted them in the woodstove for a couple hours and then dicing up into soups/stews. It doesn't stink up the wee shed as much as frying them and still has good flavor. I had a pound of green chili powder from new mexico that was getting old so got it out and put a table spoon in the soups and stews and it is delicious...also keeps the sinus clear. Sorted through my garlic stash and found some are past it...dang it! Will try to eat up the rest faster. I have granulated garlic for when I'm out of fresh.

Nearly done with the dried mushrooms from mom. Still have some dried carrots from her and some dried soup starter from a food co-op that I got ages ago.
TP stock is down to 9 rolls so it will go back on the shopping list.

Still have 3lbs of spagheti and about 3lbs of brown rice. 1 cup of red lentils and a dozen half pint jars of various meats.
The chickens are laying about 5 eggs a week total (winter and old hens really slows production) but have some "ener-g egg replacer" so finding that using 1 egg and 1/2 T of that works in muffins and things just fine. Will get some more flour when I see a super sale.

I started sprouting some broccoli seeds friday night so should have sprouts as fresh greens by monday or tuesday. Have about a half pound of various sprouting seeds so they will still last a while.

I also have 2 jars of salsa from the farmers market that didn't go into xmas gifts so I can make spicy rice with lentils or a jar of meat several times. 1 can of tomato paste left. I might put canned tomatoes back on the shopping list because it makes for a fast easy dinner with some garlic and spaghetti.

The vinegar berries go well in a simple rice pudding...really simple since I don't eat dairy and am pretty well out of powdered coconut milk. I've been using just water and quite a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg with the berries in the rice and maybe a spoon of buckwheat honey (have most of a pint of that left). I can make quite a few breakfasts out of that and when I can't face the pudding one more day, I mix in a real egg with a cup of it and fry it up. Then it's hot and heartier.
I have some chia and camelina seeds so added those to the rice dishes for a protein and fiber boost and to use them up. Saving back enough camelina to plant again.

I also have too much fennel seed and might try planting it!

I'm low on peppercorns so watching for a sale on those! Out of oregano, thyme and other basic spices. I will use any remaining grocery money this month or next to start restocking my spices and I think I can be more strategic as I pay attention to what I keep wishing I had! Poultry seasoning has turned out to be good on TONS of stuff. Who knew? If I see it cheap, I will get it.

This thread is helping me think through my pantry much more effectively.

dlrcpa: I just watched a video on "sea pie" which is a sort of shepard's pie made on the stove top with a biscuit topping. very inspiring. I love that sort of thing and am out of potatoes. I do have one can of pumpkin left so I could make a pumpkin mash topping for a shephard/sea pie thing. I like that 10 grain cereal but did need to spice it up a bit.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Added Fridge/Freezer:
nothing

Freezer:
took out a pkg of ground pork

Tossed - aka chicken food:
1 quart of bean soup
3/4 cup mashed potates

1 - 20 of 105 Posts