Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
The shepherd's pie recipe I used was a winner, Betty Crocker casseroles recipe book. Package of instant mashed potatoes, can of soup. I like when you can throw in random vegetables and clear leftovers from the fridge. I am lucky to have a bread machine but I have seen people make loaf of bread in the crock pot and I want to try that one day just to see how well it works. Bread fails work great as bread pudding. Except I tried cheese bread in pudding once, ugh.
Lost power for an hour this morning, a rare surprise. Gets me thinking.

·
Registered
292 Posts
just got TONS of stuff from 2nd harvest overstock. MAN!!!! Even cookies, 2 bags of fresh fuji apples, 15 or so pounds of fresh potatoes (which I was about to buy to make stew...so that's cool). organic bread and crackers. I've shared out some already and will figure out how much of the fresh I can eat and then pass along the rest. We are close enough I think to farms in mid-washington state that we are getting odd sized, mislabeled and almost spoiling stuff from them. The apples are fine but bagged in potato bags. The potatoes are much bigger than I see in stores usually. The bread expired a few days ago but I put it in the work freezer for toast anyway. I see 9lbs of pasta in there too. Still have 4lbs so will pass that along with the sauces I think

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Maggie - that's an amazing amount of food!

Nothing to report. eating lo and eggs from my chickens.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
good haul Maggie!

used frozen mac n cheese, smoked pork chops, frozen sm pack peas
mandarins/bananas/ yogurt
canned baked beans, pack of hotdogs
ramen
rest of the eggs in quiches plus boiled which mostly went to the crows..note that a deal on eggs isn't worth it in my house 30 for the same as 12 good ones. half the family can't eat eggs
rest of cherry tomatoes
frozen apple pie..half to raccoons tonight ..yes family doesn't eat pie
pack of hamburger
frozen mashed potatoes
frozen fries
rest of big carrots, onion
cake mix and frosting
bread and cheese
hot chocolate mix plus cocoa powder etc when dd makes from scratch
coffee creamo and milk
frozen lunch entrees
lunchmeat and lunchmeat not eaten so crows
rotisserie chicken half eaten rest to crows ..potato salad etc will go too.

well you can tell not into cooking much but then some dinner deals so works out. some things go in and out fast like milk, creamo, bread cheese fruit.

did costco run and amazon so

big bag dry cat food, 12 kd cups, 12 pack of big (like 6 cups) cans of baked beans since everyone likes them again so one can will be one meal or two sides. ds took a picture lol to send his friends. 96count my coffee kcups.

costco..eye drops, pain meds, angies popcorn, cheese 2 types, mandarins, bread and hotdog buns, 80 count dh coffee and then turns out they carry mine now so got one 80 count.

some things still waiting for crows/raccoons like coconut bread and old lunchmeat. lots of little things leftover from xmas cookies etc. ice cream. pop

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
M, I don't track stuff, just make a quick list of what I can see in the freezer so it doesn't get forgotten.

Current list:

tomato sauce
wonton wraps
bamboo shoots
tortellini
breakfast sausages
sandwich rolls
pita bread
chicken broth
pulled pork
bacon ends
cheap steak
cranberries
peas
cherries
bao buns
ham and bean soup
chowder
chili
chicken pot pie filling
taco filling
country style hash browns
ham slices
chicken stock
potato soup
tortilla soup

Adding:
corn bread
l/o duck
tortillas
french fries
shrimp
cherry turnovers
italian sausage
cubed pumpkin
lima beans

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Freezer used:
5 bags of diced garden green peppers
3 bags of diced garden banana peppers
1 bag of diced garden jalapeno peppers
2 deer hearts
1 deer roast
3 pkgs of ground beef
4 gallons of garden tomatoes
1 pkg sausage

freezer added:
3 1# rolls of sausage
10 cutie oranges

Pantry used:
1 pint mac and cheese
1 onion

Pantry added:
3 onions
14 boxes BelVita cookies
16 pounds of sugar
13 pints and 6 quarts of chili

·
Registered
292 Posts
Friends dropped off some food today while visiting my future house (under construction...we were outside and distanced)
Lentil salad, a few fruits and veg that were starting to go bad before she was going to get to eat them. And some foccacia bread. Nice!!! I've been eating lentils but only in soup or boiled up with rice. I should do more lentil salads. Good way to change things up.

The 2nd harvest has ANOTHER distribution Tuesday but I don't think I even have room for it. Strange times!
Am working on a menu plan for the next week. I don't usually do those but I need to vary the diet and work on more ways to eat up the potatoes. I got through about half the apples. They were starting to wrinkle...gotta eat them up! Should get through the rest this week at work. I have a few onions left so I can do my basic potato soup which I love and which thickens up and makes good potato pancakes the next day if I throw in an egg or two. 1 big onion, 4 medium potatoes. Boil (don't even fry the onion first). Add a roux to thicken at the end and spice up or throw a bit of left over meat or a boiled diced egg on it for pretty healthy meal.

I think the only things I'm low on are spices. Going to try to use up what I have before i buy more. Also discovered my stored garlic is getting soft and sprouting so my tomato soup today was about 25% garlic...Good thing I live alone!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
good haul! I don't keep much track of stuff either which is not good for somethings when things sit a lot longer then I thought.

got my 12 big cans of baked beans and we ate one.. half a can is enough, 4 packs of really cheap hotdogs yesterday. 2 boxes of clearance holiday rice krispies, 2 packs clearance mini candy canes. big bag cat food came from amazon. a few frozen entrees, and bird seed/ seed suet blocks plus all the reg stuff. got half price ice cream sandwiches yesterday too.

used up pack of smokies, the pork shoulder I defrosted turned out to be mostly hidden skin etc. couple boxes of cookies, fruit , dairy , bread.. outside animals got the old bread, pork skin, potato salad etc. my clean up crew.
ramen, kd cups, lunchmeat , bbq sauce. all I can think of at the moment.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have been thawing items and coming up with dinners. I took out 2 bags of chicken- one pre cooked and other was raw. Will make enchiladas and chicken paprikash. I'll thaw meatballs for sandwiches and cod to fry.

·
Registered
292 Posts
shared out the 2nd harvest potatoes and ham because it was just too much. The spaghetti is shelf stable so now i have about 10 days of potatoes, 3 or 4 lbs of pasta and 3lbs of brown rice. Still have cans of beans that aren't TOOO salty. Need to pass on the pasta sauce because it is too salty. 8 cans or so of mixed low-salt veggies that make decent soup with the beans. Working my way through the canned fruit. Eating it as snacks. It's not as good as the berries in vinegar so eating it before I go on to the vinegar.

Using part of my bread maker gift card this friday to get really good bread. Nice treat for the next week and I might share it with my godson. He wanted to go out to eat or get "to go". I don't want to go in restaurants right now so we're meeting outside for BYO treats and a chat this weekend. I'm byo'ing from the pantry stock and the bread. I saw a recipe for sandwich spread from canned kidney beans. I have some good garlic flavored olive oil that might make it sort of like hummus....maybe. I have thrift store coffee french presses so I am bringing those. I will load his up with coffee early, then wipe the outside down with sanitizer and bring it in a baggie. I have a portable stove to make hot water. very old timey

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
very nice!

hit store for good sales ...shredded cheese so a few bags for the freezer, bag of mild italian sausages that are packed in 4s. frozen mac n cheeses and a lasagna. some marked down xmas chocolates. more fruit..got marked down apples the other day but they were still in great condition. mandarins and bananas. half price kcups 12pk of dh coffee so got 2. he has coffee but cheap coffee don't past up. $1 chips store brand but good. marked down nilla wafers I had wanted for a recipe which now I can't think off..lol

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Nice hauls, you guys! I looked into 2nd Harvest but they don't distribute in my area, only very rural places around here, more than an hour's drive. Still, we have enough.

Used up some of the tortellini, breakfast links, pulled pork and rolls, italian sausage and red sauce, lima beans, chili, and peas. Found refried beans, dinner rolls, sesame balls, broccoli cheese soup, ciabatta, and sour half-n-half to add to the list.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Freezer used:
1# ground beef

Freezer added:
nothing

Pantry added:
2 paprika
2 Kraft BBQ sauce
6 cumin
2 Italian Seasoning
4 Cream of Tartar
2 Ginger Powder
3 cinnamon
2 chili powder
2 A1
3 bags instant coffee
7 quarts ham/smoked pork shank in broth

Pantry used:
a box of fig bars

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Freezer used:
1 lb ground beef
Saved chicken bones

Freezer added: i will be adding the following this week from my shopping trip:
20 pounds chicken
43 pound boston butt
28 pounds ground beef
2 packs sausage
1 pack boudin
2 loaves of bread
3 packs of shredded cheese
3 bricks of cheese

pantry added:
3 pounds of lard
2 large containers of crab boil

pantry used:
1 pint of mac n cheese

threw to the chickens:
1 pint of chili
1 container of salsa

·
Registered
292 Posts
LL: I wish I were as organized with you on the pantry inventory! I do that with my budget, and maybe if I get most of the food eaten up I can do better at tracking what I have. Having limited storage space right now means I can pretty much see what i have. There is no back room or fridge for things to hide in. I am occassionally surprised though. Like when I took a duck out of the work freezer and realized that I had a pound of elk meat stuffed in the back! Cool! I'd forgotten it...and I love elk.

so far so good with the february pantry eats and no-spend for food. I think there is 2nd harvest on Tuesday and I may use my bread gift card for a treat this week.
I'm eating really well.Have canned veg, only fresh is sprouts I grow and garlic. Ran out of onions and potatoes saturday. Have some dried veg and mushrooms too. Enough for soups and things.

Plenty of brown rice and pasta for another couple of weeks at least. Bit of flour left.
Plenty of meat and getting an egg or two most days now from the chickens. Though the single digit weather coming up may make them stop again for a while. I have powdered eggs and gelatin (unflavored) and lentils if the hens quit laying. Plenty of protein in general.

Fruit: still have berries in vinegar. I put some blackberries on spaghetti noodles tonight with olive oil and garlic. Pretty good! Also have a couple of jars of jam from christmas gifts still and a jar or two of salsa from the farmers market. That is always good on rice with some meat.
I made brown rice with dried veggies and mushrooms tonight and portioned it out for 3 meals. Just add protein. I'm boiling up the carcass from the smoked duck I ate this weekend. Ended up eating about half a pound of duck meat today to finish it up. It was thawed so best to eat it up. The porch fridge is fine (I mean I put stuff in a metal tin out on the porch) but it's about to turn into a deep freeze with the incoming weather. And, there are only so many days in a row I want to eat the same thing even if it is delicious. I've got a couple of plastic containers saved to put the duck broth in. Chickens will get the skin and the bones to eat and play with. I'll have it to make soups with this week or to boil up more rice. It's usually a pretty rich broth.

Even without 2nd harvest, pretty sure I have enough to get through the month just fine. I have coconut oil and cocoa powder so I might make some chocolates.Oh! I also have enough sugar to brew another batch of kombucha and some honey for my tea. I'm really pretty amazed how much food I have stashed here and there.
I'm down to a cup of flour or so but still have yeast from a few years back that's been good. I wonder if there is anything to make with yeast other than bread or soda pops. Or, I'll just save it and put flour on my future groceries list. I know how to sourdough but am really liking using up what I have.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Used some stuff. Currently have:

wonton wraps
bamboo shoots
tortellini
breakfast sausages
pita bread
chicken broth
bacon ends
cheap steak
cranberries
peas
cherries
chowder
chili
chicken pot pie filling
taco filling
country style hash browns
ham slices
chicken stock
potato soup
tortilla soup
l/o duck
tortillas
french fries
shrimp
cherry turnovers
cubed pumpkin
lima beans
refried beans
sesame balls
broccoli cheese soup
ciabatta

New:
l/o chicken fajita
tomato paste
anchovies
whole almonds
edamame

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Maggie - thank you. I try to be aware of what I'm buying, eating, throwing away and how I'm stocking up - sale, grow, forage, etc. I'm thankful for the chickens because on the occasion I do have something to throw away it goes to them and they love it!

My chickens have also slowed down laying eggs. About a month ago I went from 4 a day to none for 4 days. I was convinced something was getting in and eating the eggs. lol I did water glass about 3 dozen eggs this year for the first time but have not tried them yet.

The blackberry pasta sounds very interesting!

Pulled a pack of fish out of the freezer because it had a hole in the bag. My renter caught the fish in my co-workers pond. He's going to fry the fish tomorrow for us for supper along with 4 really sad looking potatoes.

I added nothing and used nothing else. The cooked chicken is sitting in the fridge and the broth is in the roaster pan cooking. It's too late for the broth to cool down so I can put it in the fridge. Times like this I miss the northern winter outdoor fridge/freezer.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Freezer used:
nothing

Freezer added:
yogurt I froze in molds - prepping for the freeze dryer...another 6 weeks I think.

Pantry used:
nothing

Pantry Added:
3#10 cans of freeze dried butter
3#10 cans of freeze dried cheese powder
14 Q and 5 P chicken
7Q hm chicken broth

Threw to the chickens - scraps from making broth.

·
Registered
292 Posts
CH: also impressed with your inventory control.

I got an infusion from 2nd harvest:
4 cans beans, 4 of pork and beans (ate 1)
20 cans of canned peach slice, about another dozen cans of fruit in natural juice.
8 cans of mixed vegetables, had 2 left so 10 total.
Also 4lbs of angel hair pasta.
I gave away the pasta sauce because it was too salty for me to have.

8 large onions,
30 apples. (I've eaten half the apples already...they are close to going off)
a friend dropped off 2 packages of powdered eggs.
With the current stock, I can easily make it through the month now with a reasonably healthy diet.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Maggie - good for you! I'm always jealous of your haul. :)

Freezer added:
yogurt that was froze in molds

Freezer used:
took out a sliced ham to thaw - It was free from Farmers to Families
2 pks garden peppers
1 pkg garden onion
1 pkg garden celery
1 pkg crawfish tails - lo from a crawfish boil we had
1 pkg shrimp - lo from a crawfish boil we had
1/3 of a pkg of garlic smoked sausage
1 pkg anduie (butchered the spelling lol) sausage

Pantry used:
1.5 quarts of chicken
1 quart turkey broth

Fridge used:
molded and freezing 28 bottles of oui yogurt
1.5 quarts of chicken broth that didn't seal

Chickens got 2 jars of yogurt that had mold on the foil lid. The yogurt had exp dates starting in November 2020 so finding 2 bad out of the 66 jars I've opened isn't too bad.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts