Frugal Village Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have not been on the forum for a long time. I did a pantry challenge in January and still have so much stuff that I am continuing it into February. Cutting the grocery bill down so that I can have money for summer fun is my goal..
This weekend, I made banana bread that will be for snacking during the week.
I baked the last of a bag of potatoes to use them up.
I pulled hot dogs out of the freezer on Thursday. I had one that evening for dinner and will have a chili dog for lunch today. The leftover chili will go on a baked potato for dinner tonight. The rest of the hotdogs will get eaten for lunches this next week.
I meal prepped 3 pasta dishes for my dinners at work next week. I split one chicken breast into the three meals to add some proteins without going overboard on meat.

·
Registered
291 Posts
KMM: That all sounds really good...except hotdogs. I'm just not a fan of hotdogs unless I'm camping and can cook them over a fire on a stick until they are burned and blistered. And I still need a cup of ketchup. Chili though...ym.

I'm doing a hard core pantry/no-grocery-spend challenge so far in 2021.
Today so far: I had apple stewed with camelina seeds for breakfast with some instant espresso I've had in the pantry way toooooo long. I mixed 1T of baking cocoa with a tiny bit of hot water, then added 1tsp espresso powder and water to make a cup. Really good.

Tea all morning because it's flipping cold and holding a hot cup of tea feels good. I have rooibos an aunt sent for christmas that is delicious and I get about 5 cups out of a single bag. She buys it in paris....we're not similar.

Lunch was duck noodle soup with the duck broth I made last week from smoked duck carcass. Spaghetti from 2nd harvest, dried mushrooms from Mom, and a 1/4c of "dehydrated soup base" from the food co-op that has been in the pantry since summer. It's sort of gross without a rich broth but surprisingly good in this. It has herbs in it so didn't add any other seasoning. Also put in 1/2 a roasted onion from 2nd harvest. The other half of the onion went into a sauce pan with a diced 2nd harvest apple. Heated it up a bit and it is delicious! I like apples and onions with cabbage but didn't have cabbage so tried this. Surprisingly rich tasting.

I have some broth left in my soup bowl (OK>....I just ate right out of the pan) and am roasting another onion. For supper I'm thinking to add the roasted onion to the left over broth, maybe some garlics. A table spoon of lentils from the pantry, and some rice from 2nd harvest. It should be a really tasty stovetop casserole. It's kind of nice that it's so cold outside. I've kept the broth for a week in the "porch freezer" (a tin) and it's stayed frozen the whole week. Have one more container of it for tomorrow's meals.

The duck broth had a surprising amount of meat/gelatin in it which is good because I forgot to grab a jar of meat from the office (too cold to store jars at home right now...it freezes hard when I'm at work) or the elk stew meat out of the work freezer. I am getting an egg most days, but the last couple of days they've frozen before I could get to them.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
wow you are set Living large! Maggie that is good from second harvest! I just can't be that organized with the food. I know basically what I have..mostly just family that is a pain when using up. but the usual stuff is in and out.. bread, dairy, fruit, cat food, ramen..teen stuff. threw out 3 old apples to birds under the bushes.

used up bacon, frozen waffles, frozen entrees, chichen cordon bleus, from what I remember. cooked spaghetti squash and butternut squash..still to be used. defrosted..mystery leftovers..turns out shepards pie so ds dinner, some homemade pasta sauce.

was going to do steaks for valentines but remembered that i have a prime rib roast in the freezer that is way older so that is dinner tomorrow. a bag of beef soup bones I bought ..who knows roasting and then will make soup. have a dried soup mix in cupboard..barley, peas etc. cubed pork so that can be stirfry tonight since I have chinese veggies to use up.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Used and add nothing to the freezer or pantry.

I spend a large chunk of the day in the pantry putting stuff in foodsaver bags - 50# pinto beans, 20# kidney beans, 5# red beans, 40# rice, 16# spaghetti, 16# elbow noodles and 6# tri-color spiral pasta. It feel great having that marked off my to-do list.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Used an old box of cake mix (best before 2020) and two cans of peaches (best before 2019) and made cobbler. Came out fine.

Maggie, you should be able to use frozen eggs if they aren't cracked and you can thaw them. I have frozen them by accident and they were ok several weeks later. A couple needed to have a tsp of water added to them as they will dry out and get rubbery eventually. Fine scrambled or for baking. Your soup sounds delicious. And I have been using up some old coffee and cocoa powder myself. Dry stuff keeps a LONG time.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Used up my duck broth this weekend. YUM!!!! 2 of the best noodle soups I've ever made. And the rice casserole with the left over broth from the first bowl of soup was great as well. I have 2 onions left to roast a few more fresh apples. Going to start some sprouts tonight so I have that and stored garlic as "fresh" for a while. Plenty of canned mixed veggies and dried left to get through the month with veggies every day. Also tons of canned fruit. Possibly more than I can eat. If I could do a custard with the canned fruit, some of the rice, and the powdered egg....hmmm....things to try.

·
Registered
291 Posts
CH: so far all the frozen eggs have been cracked and had some poo on them...didn't want to risk it! For the last few days there have been no eggs. Hope they just went back to not laying and aren't eating or hiding them.

Working my way through the pantry still. I've started using up the dehydrated veggie mix that is soup starter. I find that it's better if I add broken up spaghetti as noodles in the soup. With just the veggies they are bland. I think the starch off the pasta helps make a richer soup. I use minimal broth or water.
Ate up the most recent batch of apples from 2nd harvest and I think I'm done with the fresh onions...which were not "fresh"...starting to go off. so I ate them right away.

I've been rationing my flour and have a half cup left to thicken things. I treated myself to a few pancakes, made with powdered egg a friend gave me to try. Not bad! I was going to make biscuits but the batter got too thin so I fried it.
I'm done with the HORRIBLE old coffee from work! Finished it this morning. Now I have a nice metal coffee can (that's how old it is....) which might make a decent chicken feed scoop.

I'll be sharing out the canned peaches from 2nd harvest this month. I have more than I can store! NUTS!!!! I wonder why they are 2nd harvest. They have some odd spots and shapes, but taste fine. I'm not a giant peach fan though. Got plenty of canned beans from them so am trying to finish up my lentils in storage. Have about a half a cup left. Maybe 2 more soups from those.

I'm a bit sad to be running out of dried mushrooms. They really add to a plain soup. I should hint to mom that I'm running low. I think she said she had a lifetime supply.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Freezer added:
lo soup a friend gave me

freezer used:
container of lo sauerkraut

pantry added/used:
nothing

·
Registered
291 Posts
Made "cheeseline pho" for lunch today....all but the hotsauce was from the 2nd harvest lot: expired angel hair pasta, half a can of kidney beans, half a can of mixed veggies and a few teaspoons of hotsauce. It was NOT BAD!!! Microwaved it up with enough water to cook the pasta (about 6 min total). PUt the beans and veg on half way through . Hearty at least. It's chilly and snowy out and I've got more shoveling and maybe sledding left to do after work today.

"cheeseline" is the local term for any free food distribution. I don't know if it is common elsewhere.

Wish I had some sauerkraut! When I get back to a grocery store, probably in march, cabbage is on the list just so I can make some.

I still have
:1 big onion and plenty of garlic cloves and sprouts to grow as "fresh" veg.
a dozen cans of sugar-free canned fruit. (no fresh fruit at the moment)
4 cans of "mixed veg (no salt added...yay)
4 cans of beans
lentils, dry.
8 quarts of berries in vinegar and the berry-flavored vinegar they are in
pineapple vinegar
1/2c of buckwheat honey
kombucha brewing on a file cabinet
enough sugar and tea to make another batch of kombucha
4 jars of meat
1lb of elk meat frozen
(gave away the last frozen duck...it should be getting smoked and/or turned in to jerky this weekend)
2.5lbs powdered eggs
I found where the hens were hiding the few eggs they ARE laying. All were frozen and cracked but at least I know where to look so I might have fresh eggs here soon.
10oz baking cocoa
3lbs brown rice
3lbs angel hair pasta
1c dried mixed veg for soups
1/2 cup dried carrots from mom
2T dried mushrooms from mom (those will probably go with the elk and the onion for stew this weekend)
stevia
coconut oil
green chili sauce powder from santa fe (which might go with the cocoa and coconut oil to make some spicy chocolates)
a bit of flour...tempted to make a tiny cobbler with a can of fruit...might as well use it up!
2lbs coffee beans
3/4c coffee I ground up to use up. Might be decaf, it was in an unmarked bag.
various loose leaf teas
peppermint tea
garlic infused olive oil
various spices (salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, fennel seeds, mustard seed, saffron threads (GIFT), probably more but I can't think of them at the moment)
hot sauce, tapatio brand)
Apple cider vinegar
distilled white vinegar

And chickens who aren't or don't lay eggs...e.g. roosters and elderly hens...so, in a pinch I have even more meat.

THat is a LOT of food.
ALso have 23$ left on my gift card to the local bread baker
The next 2nd harvest distribution is Tuesday but I don't know if I will go unless they let me know things are going to waste. I have so much left even after sharing out the last batch

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Have not heard the term cheeseline before, but I remember my grandparents got their allotment of government issued cheese every month. I don't know if they still do that or if it is all food stamps/benefits cards now.

Used: a few breakfast links, half the cranberries, some soup, some peas and the ciabatta.
Adding: 1 qt pumpkin puree, breakfast fritatta, queso fresco, chicken nuggets.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I've also never heard of the term cheeseline.

used - nothing
added - lo gumbo

Reactions: rujerro

·
Registered
971 Posts
I never heard the phrase either.
Maggie- Glad you found the eggs.
I've been using freezer items so we can clean it out a bit. So far, I am thawing a pot roast and pkg of chicken. I'll do a water bath for the flounder to thaw it this Friday for lent. I got a clearance pkg of 93/7% ground beef and am thinking of chili.....

·
Registered
291 Posts
For more from 2nd harvest including fresh apples potatoes and a watermelon. Made the elk roast I got for Xmas. It was excellent. Roasted up the last onion too. Used up the dried mushrooms. Almost done with the canned beans.

·
Registered
291 Posts
DLRCPA: I should have read the sticker! I was too excited to get it and just peeled it off and started dicing it up for breakfast. Mexico or california are most likely> could be stuff that was in storage somewhere around here (north idaho/eastern washington). I wondered the same thing.
It's not super flavor-ful but it's fine. I needed melon rind to harvest my worm composter (they LOVE it and will move over to where you put it so you can pull the "compost" in the rest of the bin without killing too many worms).

The apples are from washington state. I am thinking that storage facilities for 2020 apples must need emptied out or something. These are a bit close to going off so eating those up before even the potatoes. Potatoes this time are pretty small. Last time they were oddly large. Clearly we're getting stuff that was sorted as not as easy to sell. Glad I can eat it up rather than have it, and all the labor to produce it, wasted.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Aldi in my area is advertising corned beef points for $1.99/lb. Going to make space in the freezer and see if I can get a couple. They last quite well long term.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
291 Posts
used up the mixed-dry veg soup starter stuff. It hung around over a year because I didn't know how to use it. NOW I've figured that out and want some more. Making myself try stuff is working well. I'll have to watch for it on sale now. It's in bulkbins.
Also ate up the last of my cans of kidney beans...just when I found a recipe for vegan bean-based fudge (because I can't do dairy...not because I'm vegan) that sounded good. NOW I want more beans. But, I made soup with them and the dry veg.
Working my way through the dehydrated egg packets as well. THey are not egg like, but if I put in 1 fresh egg and 2 "dry" eggs and a bit of water and mix it up fast, it sort of makes a pancake consistency when fried. I'm going to try spicing it like french toast or using cocoa and see if it gets more pancake like. It's definitely NOT the scrambled eggs the package promised but I had been warned about that. It's also not terrible used as a protein powder on a microwaved potato with some salsa.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Only got 2 small corned beef, they did not have large ones. One of the packages had leaked all over all of them and it was gross trying to find the weight I wanted.

Used up the last of a bag of walnuts, pita bread, tortillas, refried beans, tortilla soup, ham, french fries and l/o fajita meat.

Adding: l/o smoked chicken, sweet potato fries, cube steak, l/o sourdough bread.

Reactions: marthamfi
41 - 60 of 63 Posts