Frugal Village Forums banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I have heard of the term cheeseline but not in a polite way.. in writing a few places long time ago. most fresh fruit like melons are from Mexico here too.

Haven't really been adding to the stockpile though there is a bogo sale I am interested in at a store I started going back too nice bakery cheap too. ...after the couple weeks of shopping.got big box of dh tim horton kcups. kids going though hot choc. besides coffee, mint tea, dairy, cheese/yogurt, bread, mandarins/bananas... cookies lol always get used. bagels got mold so that bread, stew like frozen leftovers, jam tarts and more to raccoons and crows. lettuce to rose bush.

in the last week we had a family dinner from old spaghetti factory which was a lot of food..a lot of caesar salad w it undressed so lasted a couple of meals. a&w burgers, takeout pizza. pantry....box of cereal, bok choy/frozen asian dumplings, ham slice, frozen mac n cheese, ramen, package of chicken drumsticks, rest of bag of frozen mixed veggies, frozen can of lemonade, mug cakes, cookies, discounted strawberry pillsbury cookies, dd made a gift cookie mix in a mini cast iron pan. which ds used today to burn eggs..so that box is finished.

did get ground beef on sale last week , bag of croutons on sale and more for pantry.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm not adding to the stockpile and am using it as I have quite a bit. From the stockpile, this week, I'll use canned :tomato sauce, cup-a-soup, water, canned pie filling, slim jims, pop tarts, club crackers, canned beans, pizza dough mix, canned mushrooms

I'm not buying anything for the freezer and will be using: ground beef, chicken firecrackers, french fries, battered seafood, cheese, breakfast burritos, frozen dinners

I'll make a apple pie today and have "cup-a-soup" and crackers for my dinner while DH smokes sausages.. I'll also make orange coconut cupcakes since the oranges are getting old.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I used up my canned veg and ate the last of the canned peaches. Working my way through the 2nd harvest potatoes...russets. I made 2 in the microwave (had to cut out some bad spots so it wasn't all that much potato) and topped it with mixed up dried egg powder and some coconut oil from the work pantry. Not bad. Adding some grease to the dried eggs helped. They still taste a bit scorched. Must be why they are best in baked goods...more other flavors and ingredients.
Still have 4 jars of meat, getting 1 - 2 eggs per day (which the ladies are laying in the poopy floor of the coop right under the roost! NOT in the lovely clean nesting boxes...I put in new "bait eggs" to try to get them to move but sometimes they just want to stand on the floor and lay. Who knows what goes on in those tiny brains)
Anyway, a few lentils left, 2 or 3lbs of brown rice. 2lbs of spinach rotini, 4 or 5 cans of peas from the last 2nd harvest (pasta and peas!!! yum) and about 2 heads of garlic left from my garden harvest last fall. I've been saving a clove or two from each head to plant now that the ground is thawing out. Planted all of it late so thought I would try with even later planting.

Low on spices. Out of sugar for kombucha brewing. About 3/4c of buckwheat honey left.
2lbs coffee beans. TONS of tea still but am actively drinking it instead of a 2nd or 3rd cup of coffee.
Found a bit of ground chicory root stashed in a tin so tried some of that on the weekend. Not bad. I'll add a little to a small dose of coffee and make it like New Orleans coffee. I do have to be careful as chicory gives me intestinal distress if I over do it.

I am TOTALLY out of TP!!! I don't want to run to the store just for that and we got things shipped to work in white tissue paper so....I'm making due with that until I get to the store. It is honestly about the same. I got all fancy and tore it into appropriately sized sheets and put it in my protective TP tin (an old cub scout popcorn tin) so it's handy and at the ready as it were.

I still have cocoa and enough powdered coconut milk for a small cup of hot chocolate or a decent sized mocha. That may be my big treat next weekend.
I will probably hit a grocery store next Monday. Need to go to town to donate blood (and get my free anti-body test with that) anyway.
It will have been so long since I've been in a grocery store, Jan 2nd, that I won't know how to act!

·
Registered
43 Posts
What I need to use up in March: Dry soup mixes and beans - lots of beans! I have a big pot of seasoned pinto beans going today. Some will be used whole and some used as refried beans. I made taco meat last night and will use the leftover meat with the beans for a variety of meals this week. Nachos, taco salad, burritos....

Anybody have any other good ideas other than maybe chili? I am not sure what else to make other than Mexican food with pinto beans.

I used a Bear Creek beef and veggie soup mix for lunch today. I had a little leftover pot roast with potatoes and carrots that I diced up. I added that to the soup mix. It came out great and made plenty for me to take a couple of hearty bowls to work next week.

·
Registered
10,063 Posts
Anybody have any other good ideas other than maybe chili? I am not sure what else to make other than Mexican food with pinto beans.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I like bean salads also, I made kidney-garbanzo-green bean salad Monday w/ oil-vinegar-sugar dressing. Could probably use pintos by adjusting the seasoning mix a bit, like taco salad.
Here is a pinto bean pizza recipe, calls for ground beef but I would throw in leftover chicken instead. Pinto Pizza
Also see recipes for egg-bean breakfast burritos, sounds good to me.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Love the bean salad ideas!
We had bonus 2nd harvest distribution that included oats ("maypo" brand...never seen it in these parts or this century!) and some canned fruit (no sugar), apple sauce, mixed veggies, 3lbs ground beef (frozen) and 3lbs ground bison (frozen).
The pantry is almost entirely restocked except for TP, flour and sugar.
THere will be another distribution next week but I'm so stocked up! I already have 10lbs of pasta to pass on and some pork and beans that I don't mind eating, but don't need so better to pass on. I gave away 6 boxes of mac-n-cheese already too.
There were cans of green peas (they have sprouted it seems...must have been pulled from stores over that) and some spinach rotini. I think they will make nice pasta salad with a vinaigrette dressing using up the last of the garlic-olive oil and some apple cider vinegar and spices from the pantry back stock.

·
Registered
10,063 Posts
Maggie, I can't get over how much free stuff you are getting!

My list:

wonton wraps
bamboo shoots
tortellini
breakfast sausages
chicken broth
bacon ends
cheap steak
cranberries
cherries
chowder
chili
chicken pot pie filling
taco filling
country style hash browns
chicken stock
potato soup
l/o duck
shrimp
cherry turnovers
cubed pumpkin
sesame balls
broccoli cheese soup
l/o smoked chicken
sweet potato fries
cube steak
l/o sourdough bread
tomato paste
anchovies
whole almonds
edamame
1 qt pumpkin puree
breakfast fritatta
queso fresco
cocktail sausages
beef meatballs
hot dogs
smoked chicken quarters
frozen corn

·
Registered
3,305 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Thanks for the recipe links.

YET ANOTHER amazing 2nd harvest yesterday. I mostly skipped the canned goods though the staff/volunteers were starting to beg people to take them.
Shared much/most of it with my godson who was between jobs for a few weeks and is trying to get back on his feet.
He got ...that I can remember: 4lbs frozen ground bison (we made one of the other lbs I got into burgers for dinner while he was down picking stuff up), a full size frozen peach pie (probably cyrus o'leary brand as they have a factory near by), 2 or 3lbs of breakfast sausage patties (frozen), a half pound of frozen cheese pastries, other frozen pastries, a few pounds of pasta and mac-n-cheese. Two bags of "something you can eat" brand cheesy rice with veggies, a 5lb bag of buttermilk pancake mix near the "best by" date but not remotely expired, some random pillsbury breakfast items.
I kept some spinach rotini, a 3-5lb bag of refrigerated raw (now frozen raw) pizza crusts (flatbreads? toaster oven foccacia? many options for those), a bag of organic girl romaine hearts in perfect shape, about 5lbs of multi-colored organic potatoes (some of which will get planted! that's 4 types of potatoes to grow from 2nd harvest). These are small with some green spots so the greenies will get sprouted if possible and planted. A very few cans of peas, veg and fruit because the staff begged us. I gave a friend a half gallon of half-n-half because I can't eat dairy and she was making some giant casserole for an outdoor work crew. "chocolate shell" stuff in a microwavable cup (I just ate it as chocolate, did not put it on fruit). 5 large fresh onions (potato soup!!! buffalo soup, etc).
A jar of peanut butter (that's a first!) and a jar of strawberry jam! WOW!!! I am totally going to make those maypo oatmeal cookies! More maypo oatmeal.

I am grateful. My godson is SUPER grateful. He'll save about 50-100$ on groceries. He's been saving for his own place while couch surfing since his last job was lost to covid stuff. He has a new job and is picking up shifts at a plant nursery so he's working 7 days a week to get out of the hole and into a place. Every little bit helps.

Today I've been eating up the romaine hearts (after the buffalo burger binge yesterday!) with some of my preserved service berries and the last of the garlic-olive oil in the pantry. Makes a nice salad really.

Monday I took time off. I was donating blood in the middle of the day and hit the grocery store "in town" before that.
Got coconut oil (use it for skin care and cooking...non dairy), a bag of sale beans (2lbs of pintos for $1.65...best I could do), and a few cheap treats for work which I accidentally ate in the car. I bought 1.50$ ketchup for the buffalo burger feed. Meant to send it with the godson, but forgot. So, it will go into meatloaf or meatballs.
Also...big package of TP that should last a month or more since, apparently, I won't be needing groceries!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I'm not sure since it's been a couple of weeks :-( Here's what I can remember....

Freezer added:
3 pounds ground beef
2 pounds sausage
5 packs of hm meatballs
17 pounds of goat meat

Freezer used:
10 pounds of ground beef
3# pack of bacon ends

pantry added:
5 quarts goat broth
6 pints mac and cheese
23 1/4-pints of ground beef (10 pounds) - if they all seal
10 boxes of generic hamburger helper
10 packs of thai chili flavored tuna
5 bags of goldfish crackers

Pantry used:
nothing that I can think of

·
Registered
466 Posts
Went to the community garden to HELP with greenhouse work yesterday...and the truck got loaded with even more free stuff when I wasn't looking. It wasn't 2nd harvest day but there was a random delivery apparently. That will be EVERY DAY this week. I gave away about 30lbs of fresh produce (kept about 5lbs) and all the frozen stuff, and need to deal with 96 cans of fruit and veg (literally 4 boxes of 24 cans each! jeez!). I appreciate it all and may find time to take the cans to the food pantry in a nearby town or ask a friend to if I can't get there. It's just SO MANY! I kept a bunch of celery, a couple lbs of carrots, and some apples. The veg is all random sizes> There were cookies and crackers too but I gave all but 1 pack of those away. Even oreos??? i don't need the sugar. only kept one little pack of nutter butters because those are awesome. They mostly had 1 of the cookies adhered upside down. I wonder if that's why they were donated. Did not change the flavor at all. I told a few friends about it and they kept saying "but we have enough money" (they do not....living on about 500$/month after housing and paying insurance, food, gas, etc out of that) and this 2nd harvest is for everyone, no questions no requirements. They just want the food eaten up if possible. I'll keep encouraging them.

Anyway: used up my olive oil! Finally.
Used up dark chocolate making little almond-coconut treats so I won't want to buy candy bars.

Shared some seeds with friends to help cut down on that stock.

Eating up the freezer meat as fast as I can because now the eggs are rolling in

Got a small can of tomato paste super cheap which I plan to use to make a bit of veggie soup with the above 2nd harvest veg, and if some is left over, to use as the sauce on one of the free frozen pizza crusts in the work toaster oven and make a tiny pizza (might as well have fun while emptying the pantry!)

Still need to make the maypo cookies! I hid the peanut butter behind the least appealing canned veg so it is still in the cupboard.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
wow good haul. yes if the food is there and would go to waste why not better to use it up. chocolate covered nutter butters are my downfall..so good.

haven't bought much besides fresh cus don't really need it and need to use up what we have. all the reg stuff rotates in and out and leftovers not eaten goes to crows etc. so last bag of frozen asian dumplings, pulled last of frozen chicken soup out. what I thought was cool whip was frozen carrot soup so that is used up too.
being using up my single frozen entrees for my lunches 4 so far.. ice cream treats always go. dd made a cake mix w frosting yesterday.

did get more kd cups and ramen for the kids. some easter oh henry eggs and other choc but that goes fast lol

did stock up on half price allergy meds last week so that was a score.

got bogo hotdogs yesterday for family and a pack of ones dh didn't like fed the crows for last 2 days.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Maggie- I agree with encouragement. It would make everyone happy if the items got used. Sometimes people are fearful that someone would notice them there (been there) but people do put tables of produce outside of their homes with a "free" sign so maybe that would work?

I've been thawing some meats/veg/meatballs. Got to finish those meatballs for dinner. Used items for a casserole and will thaw flounder.

Ice cream and non-dairy ice creams added and never having coconut milk was surprisingly tasty.

·
Registered
466 Posts
dlcrpa: I would never reject an upside down cookie! I passed on 5lbs of apples to a friend who sent up nearly-over-ripe kiwis a few weeks back. The apples were either HUGE or tiny...just fine. All tasted great to me.

The purple, red and gold potatoes from last week are all sprouting nicely so I hope to get them in the ground tonight. I have a few russetts to plant from yet another previous distribution.

I'm wondering about the cans of sprouted peas. I've rinsed canned garbanzos before and toasted them in a dry skillet with some spices for a crunchy snack. The sprouted peas are about the same texture so I might try toasting some up. If they aren't good, I'm sure the chickens will eat them. I'm actually liking teh sprouted peas in pasta salad. They are crunchier than "good" canned peas which I find mushy and bland.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Got meat mark-downs at the store (sale ends Thursday at this particular chain.) A lot of ground turkey lately, OK for chili and some other recipes that normally use ground beef, into the freezer. 1 lB gr beef to freeze and some pork chops that will be stew tonight.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Maggie - Wow! Just Wow!! Amazing!!

Freezer added:
2 containers of leftovers

Freezer used:
scallops
10# chub of ground beef
meatballs
container of leftover gumbo

Pantry added:
21 1/4-pints of cooked ground beef

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Freezer added:
a ham
5 pounds of homemade meatballs
32 oui jars of yogurt - these had been in the fridge and needed to be froze prior to going bad
diced onion
bread crunbs

Freezer used:
1 pkg grits
1 pkg casing sausage
2 pounds of ground sausage
container of tomato, mac n meat leftovers

Pantry used:
12 cups of instant rice

Pantry Added:
4 pounds of lard
9 pounds of kosher salt
2 containers of crab boil
14 q cabbage
15 pints and 5 1/4 pints of mexican meatloaf

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Exceeded grocery budget a lot this month, kind of depressing. Prices have gone up in the regular store. Shopping staples at Target helps but I need to re-think the budget I guess. Got a few sale items at the regular grocery but nothing amazing. Going to make an effort to use up things like oatmeal and dried beans for the next month.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts