Frugal Village Forums banner
101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
News reports I've heard lately say the tomato crops are already contracted for this yr, so we won't see huge price hikes till next yr. I guess we'll find out if that's true or not.
I had already returned from Aldi with 14 cans of tomatoes before I saw this, but oh well, $.29 a can and they will get used.

Anyway, y'all inspired me to go through my messy stash/stockpile and organize and rotate and restock. Found 3 packages of cookies that DD was eating daily when I bought them, but at some point just stopped, so those have to go. I still have to bring it all in from the car and organize it all again before tackling the kitchen cabinets, but it is a start. Hard to imagine, but we have actually just about blown through my massive stash of pasta... I need to restock that, but I am holding out for either an amazing sale or until after I have the cabinets fully organized-- preferably both.

Meanwhile, I finally canned up the beef broth I had made, ended up with 4 pints. Since there was a bit of room left in the canner, I am experimenting with two 4oz jars of blueberries (that were languishing in the fruit drawer... the kids go in spurts, I swear...) I found a recipe on pinterest for a homemade blueberry muffin mix, and I want to see if works with canned blueberries... if so, gift-in-a-jar! If not, nothing wasted...

Our local farmstand had a big bag of ugly tomatoes for $5 today, so I grabbed those and will peel-and-freeze them. I don't see the point in wasting $.25 canner lids when a $.10 freezer bag will work fine.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
zhoen I hear you! they like it and then don't ... friend was over said you want a cookie lets see what I have..open cupboard and said well there was like 10 boxes a few days ago..at least there was one left. she laughed she has kids and her kids say well covid don't have to save for company. bought more but didn't tell anyone. the hawkins cheezies are in my bedroom. that is cheap for cans of tomatoes! have my first red tomato.
LL good for you..we wouldn't go that much chili etc. I make one crockpot full and freeze and doesn't get used much with I defrost. I got cans of tomato soup cheap and still haven't gone though them.

got 50 pack of koolaid..type you add sugar off amazon..can't buy up here. 6 cans of frozen lemonade on sale. pack of sausage rounds. I am freezing all the kale I am getting from csa cus cooks faster. I just need to be better at using what we have more then takeout like pizza from family run business.. can't make it for what they do. sushi lol all stuff I don't make and easy to get here. got more booze too lol we aren't big drinkers but like some variety like peach whiskey. make summer cocktails.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Martha - I can grab a pint of chili or tomato soup and take it to work for lunch - has saved me more than once from eating in the cafeteria. Plus it's a heat-n-eat on lazy nights. Might not be what I want to eat but it's easy and healthy.

Freezer added / used - nothing
Pantry added - nothing
Pantry used - 2 quarts of chicken soup
freeze dried - nothing

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi everyone! I’m embarrassed to list the contents of my full fridge, pantry and freezers. Yes, that’s plural. I’m definitely on the side of using things up right now. We went through the fridge for lunch and pulled out leftovers for three people.

We have company right now and she has her own ideas about food, which is messing with my plans. So I’m being very careful not to thaw anything out without checking with her first. She wants to cook some, as well as order from restaurants. I don’t like restaurant food and it’s unhealthy for us - too much fat and salt. But seeing as she is only here until the end of the month, and she is paying, I am letting her decide.

Once she leaves I’ll do my monthly pantry inventory and menu plan from there.

·
Registered
10,385 Posts
I need to get back on board with this. I have a recent inventory of the kitchen freezer, where we keep leftovers and opened packages. Some of it gets used very infrequently, which is why it's still around.

baby onions (for stew)
pineapple juice
grated cheese
pesto
apple juice (bbq)
stilton (blue cheese)
burger buns(2)
spring rolls(2)
refried beans
cauliflower rice
mahi patties (2)
bacon pieces (seasoning)
spanikopita (2)
hash browns
dumplings
chili dog sauce x6
beef broth (for soup)
zucchini patties(2)
hot dogs
breakfast croissants(2)
baked potatoes (4)
cranberries
phyllo squares
chicken meatballs (soup)
cherries x3
cooked tomatoes x2
pie crust
taco filling
peas
burritos (DH lunch)
sweet potato fries
potato soup
broccoli (for soup)
chicken bones x3 (soup)
burger patties (2)
blueberries
provolone
sesame balls
cheap steak (1)
lumpia wraps
baguettes
corn
taco meat (cooked)
whole almonds
empanda wraps

That looks like a lot, but most of it is one or two portions, or half-used packages. Looking forward to using up the soups and soup ingredients, and using the berries and cherries in baking soon.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I forgot about this thread..need to do pantry challenge! not doing a inventory but just not to shop as much. I have a csa coming on tuesday swapped some things out but all carrots, leeks, onions, etc longer lasting stuff besides the spinach and radishes I am buying. got some epicure meal spice kits like donair, spices, ordered chimichurri sauce to give some meal options instead of buying them. got icing and cake mixes on sale too 4 for $5 to stock up.

last couple of days.
froze some ailing garden tomatoes..some had to be composted.
boiled out of date eggs and cut up shell and all for the outside birds
ds used taco kit plus extra mix pack, onion, can of black beans plus frozen ground chicken for dinner.
pulled out 3 small containers of lentil ham soup for dinner plus frozen shrimp.
cake mix and frosting for birthday cake
threw out expired sour cream and yogurt cups.
crows got expired crackers for 3 days and will be more from old open packs from cupboard.

freezer: ground beef, chicken thighs, beef roast, minute steaks, pork, bacon, chicken cordon bleu, asian dumplings, fries, fresh pasta, cheese, frozen veggies, homemade spaghetti sauce, chili, and pulled chicken, red wine and some fruit.
canned corn, pasta sauce, tomato products, beans, tuna, flakes of ham and chicken, mushrooms. Jars of pasta sauce and butter chicken.
dry cereal, kcups, tea , crackers, oatmeal, beans, cookies. some things go in and out on a reg basis like cereal. ramen, kd cups.
have some old stuff like canned pumpkin etc to figure out what to do with.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I definitely need to get my freezers organized! Our cabinets are packed (intentionally in case hell breaks loose) and our canned stash is pretty solid right now... but I have been just letting the kids and the husband shove stuff randomly in the deep freezer, so it's crazytown in there, and the upstairs (where all the open packages reside) is an avalanche waiting to happen!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well we were down to our last package of pork chops the other day, so we stopped at a local discount meat market and loaded up on pork. They also discount fruit and vegetables, so we picked up some of them.

We have company staying three weeks longer than originally planned. So we’re going through food and our budget a tad faster than I planned. Thankfully, company is helping pay to replenish most of it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I don't have a lot in the freezers anymore. So it will be a chopped tv show menu. I'm thawing bacon, fish, ground beef....I may make a pumpkin pie or cookies if I get time....
  • BLT's
  • Fried cod, yellow rice, fresh pineapple
  • Penne in a meat sauce, french bread, bananas/ fruit cocktail
  • chicken soup, crackers
  • Western omelets, toast

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
yep realized don't have much in the way of fish in the freezer. should pick up some salmon from place that has individual ones w sauce. have shrimp. need to use up something besides the regular stuff we always go though. will go though more chips and baked beans this sunday for halloween cus kids over and bean and hotdogs are traditional here.

only thing stocked up on is more suave shampoo and found a old jello 2015 expired so gone. plus a really old box of tea. We are working our way though the ham still.

·
Registered
10,385 Posts
Updating:

baby onions (for stew)
pineapple juice
grated cheese
pesto -
apple juice (bbq)
stilton (blue cheese)
burger buns(2)
spring rolls(2)

refried beans
cauliflower rice -
mahi patties (2)
bacon pieces (seasoning)
spanikopita (2)
hash browns
dumplings
chili dog sauce x6 -
beef broth (for soup)
zucchini patties(2)
hot dogs -
breakfast croissants(2)
baked potatoes (4)
cranberries -
phyllo squares
chicken meatballs (soup)
cherries x3
cooked tomatoes x2
pie crust
taco filling
peas
burritos (DH lunch)
sweet potato fries
potato soup
broccoli (for soup)
chicken bones x3 (soup)
burger patties (2)
blueberries
provolone
sesame balls
cheap steak (1)
lumpia wraps
baguettes
corn
taco meat (cooked)
whole almonds
empanda wraps

Adding:

peas
pork meatballs
tomato sauce
paneer (cheese)
tomato w/garlic
breakfast links
chicken breast (2)
chicken fingers (cooked)
smoked salmon
brats (3)

Reactions: Zhoen

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have so much pantry stock I am going to try eating just from that for December and January. I have one holiday meal out already planned so will keep that commitment and will eat if people I am visiting offer food but otherwise it is time to just eat what I have. I don't plan to add to the stock. I think it will be a good exercise for me to get back into planning how to steadily use my supplies again rather than eating all the pasta or all the chocolate and making a store run to fill a gap.

·
Registered
10,385 Posts
Making progress. Crossed out what's gone, put a mark next to items I'm slowly using up.

baby onions (for stew)
pineapple juice
grated cheese -
pesto -
apple juice (bbq)
stilton (blue cheese)
burger buns(2)
spring rolls(2)
refried beans
cauliflower rice -
mahi patties (2)

bacon pieces (seasoning) -
spanikopita (2)
hash browns

dumplings
chili dog sauce x6 -
beef broth (for soup)
zucchini patties(2)
hot dogs -
breakfast croissants(2)
baked potatoes (4)
cranberries -
phyllo squares
chicken meatballs (soup)
cherries x3

cooked tomatoes x2
pie crust
taco filling -
peas
burritos (DH lunch) -
sweet potato fries
potato soup

broccoli (for soup)
chicken bones x3 (soup)
burger patties (2)

blueberries
provolone
sesame balls
cheap steak (1)
lumpia wraps
baguettes -
corn
taco meat (cooked)
whole almonds
empanda wraps
pork meatballs
tomato sauce
paneer (cheese)
tomato w/garlic
breakfast links -
chicken breast (2)
chicken fingers (cooked)

smoked salmon
brats (3)

Adding:
sushi rice
brown rice
cubed squash
ricotta cheese
cornbread
spring rolls
french fries
gingerbread dough
pineapple chunks

December is new month. I should be able to figure out a week or more of meals from this.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I should always take inventory as well. I kinda know what I have in the freezers but it's sometimes like the show Chopped..A bit of everything and no idea how to make it work. Frozen meat includes chicken, ground beef, steaks, a turkey, a ham and bison (?). Frozen veg is spinach and peppers. Rest is frozen asian foods/cheese. I have to rely on boxed pastas/ bagged soup mix/ sauces/flour to put things together.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts